Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > SNEAK PIQUE: LIKELY 2006 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

OTHER 2006 TITLES Already Being Discussed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OTHER 2006 TITLES Already Being Discussed
    Posted: December 24 2006 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by jb razz

Wow-o-wow is right, you guys often heavily diss movies you have not seen that could go either way, but you automatically assume it will be bad.

Not only untrue, but a terribly unfair generalization. However, there are certain performers and directors that, based upon track record, are likely to draw our attention, much in the same way that storm chasers can recognize thunderstorms which are likely to produce tornadoes based on certain common patterns. Not all of those storms ultimately produce tornadoes, but a lot of them do. In my experience on this board, however, few films are discussed until either a day or so prior to their general release, or often thereafter.

You guys also seem to ignore all of the good movies out there. Say half the movies in one year are not worth seeing. Even though there would be a lot of bad movies that doesn't mean that there is nothing good that year. What happened to the other half?

Please, let's be fair. There were 400+ movies released this year, the vast majority of which were not discussed on this board. There is considerably more attention paid to the bad ones for one simple reason: That is what the forum is all about.

There have been a few instances where I have voiced disagreement over the worthiness of Razzie consideration for films mentioned on the board, and I have yet to have my stripes ripped of, my sword broken over the commander's knee and been marched unceremoniously out of the fort. There have also been instances, one just yesterday, where I have made mention of films I have enjoyed. But allow me to suggest, once again, that you consider just what the purpose of this board is, and that of the  organization that sponsors it.

Response from Head RAZZberry: As saturnwatcher pointed out, the RAZZIES are not about discussing good movies. They are in many ways (and perversely to some) about the love of certain bad movies. We are not here simply to rag, but to derive pleasure (and revenge) from the act of publicly letting those whose movies, performances and efforts let us down know that we noticed. And if you'll check our Complete List of 2006 Releases, you'll find that just under 500 films were "eligible" for RAZZIE Consideration this year. Of those, we have about 65 of them under discussion (roughly 13% of all films released). Anyone who sees a great many movies is well aware that at least 1-in-10 stinks in some way or another, so I would argue that with 65 discussed titles, we're actually not that far off the mark...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123