Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Talk Amongst Yourselves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY - Get the word out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY - Get the word out!
    Posted: October 03 2009 at 2:02pm
Now that Paranormal Activity is showing at 33 screens (and ONLY after midnight), the numbers for Thursday and Friday nights is impressive, REALLY impressive. What are the numbers? Read this article to find out!:

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/freakishly-good-gross-for- paranormal-activity/
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 2:08pm
I don't know, that article contained the word "remake". That could be studio lingo for "take good, well acted movie and turn it into CGI laden crap-fest".
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 2:10pm

Well, if you read it the article, Paramount was about to remake it, but since the original film played so well, they scratched the idea and decided to distribute the film unchanged.   

Originally posted by Michaels

I don't know, that article contained the word "remake". That could be studio lingo for "take good, well acted movie and turn it into CGI laden crap-fest".

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 2:50am
Okay, then. This is a movie that's supposed to be "the next Blair Witch"? "BW" was a success without having anything about it changed. What really needs to be done here is releasing the movie nationwide, but keeping the midnight showing thing in order to get the full word-of-mouth effect.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 8:24am
I don't see how your comment has anything to do with the success that both of the films had/are having.

But what really needs to be done is releasing the movie nationwide, but keep the midnight showing thing in order to get the full effect.

Well, you got half of your wish. LA Times is now reporting that the film will get a limited release next week, adding 10 more theaters (so 43 in total) and expanding the showings to more than once a day. You can read more about it here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/1 0/paranormal-activity-to-play-outside-of-midnight-after-anot her-strong-weekend.html
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2009 at 10:38am

Let me put it to you this way: Say the studio steps in and replaces EVERYTHING you liked about the movie, with cliches that are not even removely scary at all. Thus, any success the movie could have had is killed off. "Blair Witch" was not altered by its studio to be a bland horror movie, thus it was a success ... until a crappy, bland sequel was made. Now do you see?

Well, you got half of your wish. LA Times is now reporting that the film will get a limited release next week, adding 10 more theaters (so 43 in total) and expanding the showings to more than once a day.

Well, this movie being a success is more your wish than mine, but 10 theaters? I was talking more like hundreds, if not thousands. TV and print ads would be helpful, too. Gotta love it, how H-Wood seems to go out of its way to make sure the low budget or indie movies are commerical failures.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 8:49am
I guess the WOM (word of mouth) is building, since some of my friends at school are starting to notice the film, even without any promotion. I guess that's pretty great. Oh, and the film is cracking the top 15 this whole week so far.

In other related news, Paramount has announced the film will not have a nation-wide release UNTIL they get 1,000,000 hits on the site in my OP. Before, the votes tallied around 400,000 but now, it seems to be growing quickly. I guess we'll see it go nation-wide very soon after all!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 4:11pm
I have also heard good word-of-mouth, based solely on whatever trailers are seen on TV or the Internet. However, the one million votes seems like a weak marketing idea. Sure, an Internet-based marketing campaign is a good idea, but just put the movie nationwide already, considering Halloween is coming and we need SOMETHING to put an end to the needless "Saw" series.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 2:04am

Ok. Just got an email from Paramount which says the following:

OVER ONE MILLION FANS DEMAND PARANORMAL ACTIVITY

Hit Film Gets Nationwide Expansion After Unprecedented Demand

HOLLYWOOD, CA (October 9, 2009) - Following 2-weeks of nationwide midnight only sellouts and fan frenzy over the limited release hit thriller PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, moviegoers everywhere have been heard!

Over 1,000,000 people from around the country demanded the film play in their city by logging on to ParanormalMovie.com. In response, Paramount Pictures will release the film nationwide beginning Friday, October 16th.

Tickets for the movie will be on sale via ParanormalMovie.com by 5pm PST on Tuesday, October 13th. Those who have 'demanded it' will get the first alert when tickets go on sale.

"From the very beginning, we put this film in the hands of the fans and we trusted them to tell us where and when it should be seen. We couldn't be more thrilled by their overwhelming support and we are happy to release the film in every town - big and small," said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman of Paramount Pictures.

In related news, the film made it to the #5 spot this weekend at $2 million in just 159 theaters: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/couples-retreat-hauls-i n-11-million-but-look-at-paranormal-activitys-numbers
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 7:49am
Katie and Micah are a couple who've just moved into a new home. Katie believes that malevolent spirits have been following her since childhood, though Micah is not so easily convinced. However, after several nights of loud noises and strange happenings, Micah starts to agree with Katie that some sort of ghost may have followed them to the new home. Micah decides to take control of the situation and sets up a battery of video cameras so that if a spirit manifests itself, he can capture its behavior on tape.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY is a small, little horror movie that is getting a lot of buzz lately similar to BLAIR WITCH ten years ago. Let me start off by saying to keep your expectations low because many of the praises the film is getting has been hyping the movie very much than it really is, also much like BLAIR WITCH ten years ago. It's inevitable that the film will be hyped more once it gets released nationwide along with getting backlashes because of the said hype.

However, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY is a good, scary movie. Like BLAIR WITCH, the film starts off as if everything is fine which makes the scary scenes much more terrifying. It has a real authenticity feel to it, especially the exchange between with actors Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat, whom both pull off very fine and realistic performances. And like BLAIR WITCH, the scares start off subtle but escalate as the story progresses, which is one of the main reasons why I like this film.

The terror grows within each night scene, each louder and more technically complex than the ones before. There was one scene where I closed my eyes because I couldn't handle the noises and screams. However, there is one huge flaw in the film: It's ending. The movie started off so well and built up until the ending, which ends up being very abrupt and so very disappointing. There was no catharsis.

But other than that, the film was good. If a film can manage to scare the audience with creaks from a door and footsteps coming from another room, you know the film succeeded for the most part. However, I'm just very disappointed by the ending because I wanted more. The audience in my theater reacted the same way. No one was saying it but they were certainly thinking, "That's all?" PARANORMAL ACTIVITY succeeds by building up the terror subtly but disappoints with the ending. However, do see the movie because I'd rather see an inventive, clever movie like this do well than SAW 57. 
7/10
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:32am

Any movie that is shot in such a way that it comes across as a real event that was filmed with a hand held camera is going to end with disappointment. In both movies, "Blair Witch" and "Paranormal Activity", we have "footage" of supernatural happenings going on and the characters' reaction to it, which is where the scares come from. However, if these events end badly for the characters, clearly there's not going to be some wrap-up in the end explaining what happened to them, it's just going to end quickly, and for most, unforfilling.

However, from what I have heard, the movie serves it's purpose: scaring audiences. I have heard reports of people leaving the theaters half way through the movie because they were so scared or audience memebers admiting they will have to sleep with the lights on after seeing it. You never hear anything like that from people who see "Saw" movies, J-horror remakes, or rehashed 70s/80s slashers.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:57am
Yeah. The movie was scary. After I saw it, I came home and it was still the afternoon, the sun shining brightly from my window in my room. I took a 10 minute nap and then I heard a noise which scared me $#!+less!
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:15pm
You seem to get scared rather easily, though.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 4:46pm
With all due respect, you might be giving the movie too much credit. Most people tend to be settled or scared when they are suddenly ripped from sleep by loud noises.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 8:43am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

You seem to get scared rather easily, though.

Not really. I've only had like 5 movies that really "scared" me in all my life. As in "scared," I mean movies giving me nightmares.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Michael

With all due respect, you might be giving the movie too much credit. Most people tend to be settled or scared when they are suddenly ripped from sleep by loud noises.

Well, sure, people are scared when they hear noises in their houses but this movie just reaffirms it and makes you even more paranoid like not knowing what's going on when you sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>