Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Talk Amongst Yourselves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Play Monkey Morning Quarter-Back!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Play Monkey Morning Quarter-Back!
    Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:33am

It's the Monday morning after KING KONG opened. And even though it didn't totally bomb, it hardly lived up to its hype, either, actually being out-grossed the previous week by NARNIA. Let us know why YOU think it didn't do as well as expected -- And if you think it can pull off a POLAR EXPRESS and eventually be a hit.

FYI: Here's a LINK to the page on this Forum where we asked folks to predict KONG's eventual Box Office...

and a LINK to check B.O. MoJo Daily Figures on it...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:38am
If there is such a thing as over-hyping a movie, KONG is a prime example of it. The media overkill on this film may actually have created a "must-not-see" word of mouth reaction. Since most movie-goers these days are thought to be teenagers, it's entirely possible they thought all that hype had to be hiding a stinker. Also, sadly, the target teen audience was probably not as familiar with the classic 1933 original as Peter Jackson assumed they were...
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:47am
Like I already said elsewhere on this Forum: The only reason Jackson's version isn't the worst remake of KING KONG is how even-worse Dino's 1976 clunker was. Jackson took a 103-minute black-and-white classic and "re-imagined" it with excessive violence, gross-out scenes galore, doofy romantic flourishes (the "ice dancing" scene!) and a bloated 3-hour running time. I usually stay for end credits, but by the end of KONG my butt was so numb I was afraid if I didn't stand up immediately, I might never walk again!
Everything SUX!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 3:52am

King Kong pulled in somewhat over $50 million this weekend and $66 million since its opening last Wednesday...it doesn't have to become a hit. If it had opened Friday with a $66 million weekend draw, no one would be expressing disappointment in the numbers, not that its even remotely fair to suggest that its numbers to date constitute a box-office "bomb."

The opening numbers were somewhat less than expected, but it did pretty well.  The three hour running time definitely limits the number of showings most theaters are able to present in the course of a day, combined with a weekend in which a great deal of the country suffered through miserable weather. I think the big ape will show resilience in the coming weeks, and I'm willing to bet that the international gross will be extremely good ($80 million in its first 5 days).

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
n8rbob View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote n8rbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 6:09am

its not a bomb yet. Lord of the Rings 1 opened to about 50 million and made a friggin load of money (over 300 million). and look at Titanic. that opened to 28 million and thats about the highest grossing film ever. and My Big Fat Geek Wedding that never took number one but it made 245 million. so don't assume its a bomb coz it will grow long legs and kill the BO competition. Narnia's declining quickly. Producers and New World are in limited release, and a lot of the other competition is panned (GEISHA NE1?). so don't assume it's a bomb.

LONG LIVE THE BIG MONKEY!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 9:04am
3 hours is a ridiculous amount of time to spend watching a movie. Even 2 hours seems too long to me. Monkeys are not that interesting.
Guests View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 1:09pm
The 3 hour running time suggests ambition, something many movies lack.
Guests View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 2:50am
Why do y'all hate "King Kong?" I thought it was amazing. AND it's up for 2 Golden Globes, including Best Director (Peter Jackson).
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 3:12am
While many of our Forum Post-ers may disagree, the GRAF doesn't hate KONG -- We just weren't that impressed with it. Strong anti-KONG sentiments, as well as strong Pro-APE postings, are welcome here anytime. That's the point of our providing this Forum...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
no one famous View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote no one famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 10:47am

Kong was great but way too long. Peter Jackson should have cut about 45 minutes out of it and left the extra footage for the DVD Special Features. It just dragged on and on.

The Special Effects were awesome except for the scene where they are almost being trampled by dinosaurs. That looked so fake.

Fred View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 6:04pm
No, 3 hours suggests an inflated sense of greatness. My complaint about these so-called blockbusters is the noise level. I can't stand all the overblown music and sound effects in these films.
chicken_hawk View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicken_hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 5:58pm
How many remakes does it take to get a high grossing movie. King Kong is on it's third, maybe the fourth or fifth will do better.
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Fred

No, 3 hours suggests an inflated sense of greatness. My complaint about these so-called blockbusters is the noise level. I can't stand all the overblown music and sound effects in these films.
Music doesn't bother me since some composers have gone on to become timeless (Bernard Hermann, Ennio Morricone) but I agree with special effects. They should enhance a story not take place of one!
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 9:57pm

Did it bother anyone else that Naomi Watts, one of the top five actresses on the planet, cried in just about every scene?

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 4:34pm
You could easily cut 70 minutes out of this and make it more palatable. It's
another example of Hollywood's lack of creativity. One Kong was enough,
folks! Is it TOO MUCH to ask that Hollywood moves on to something
different? Oh, why bother?
Eddie View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:32am
Today's youth are simply not into film — they have video games and the Internet and simply do not want to live outside of that world. I can't help but wonder how the King Kong game is selling?

Regarding adults, they are tired of wasting money on stupid films geared toward vacuous youth. 

I saw King Kong and thought it was great. This film will make it by word of mouth-like Titanic.

I can think of other big-budget films that should have done better including: "War of the Worlds" "Batman Begins" "Reign of Fire"

I hope this King Kong becomes a classic...it deserves those kinds of accolades.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>