Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > ALL THE LATEST on ALL THE LAMEST!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Please Nominate John Revolta in HAIRSPRAY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Nominate John Revolta in HAIRSPRAY
    Posted: December 11 2007 at 2:59pm

He deserves this year's Worst Supporting Actor Razzie! He was just awful. Oh, and Zac Efron sucked, too.

Response from Head RAZZberry: If we were to list many-time RAZZIE®  nominee John Travolta for HAIRSPRAY (which we likely won't) in the spirit of long-standing RAZZIE®  tradition, he'd be listed as a contender for Worst Supporting ACTRESS for that performance. By the way,The heat in that category this year appears to be behind an even bigger drag of a drag performance: 2006 Oscar loser Eddie Murphy for his hateful fat-suit character Rasputia in likely Worst Picture nominee NORBIT. Having played three horrible characters in that film, Murphy is also eligible for Worst Actor (as the title character) Worst Supporting Actor (as "Mr. Wong") and, alongside himself, as Worst Screen Couple...

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 1:26am

NEWS FLASH: TRAVOLTA's a GLOBE NOMINEE! Although Travolta's performance in HAIRSPRAY was, in my opinion, cringe-inducingly creepy, it was not quite RAZZIE®-worthy. But it wasn't praise-worthy, either. Yet Travolta has received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor for the film. I'd guess the 93 folks who vote on the Globes figured nominating Ol' John was one sure way to guarantee a celebrity's attendance at their January 13 ceremonies. If he actually wins (and if you do the math, he could technically win with only 19 votes!) it'll make the Globes look like total fools (not that they haven't achieved that already)! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 5:10pm
I think it's an amazing testament to the magnificently awful year we've endured at the old cinema that not only do we have good reason to overlook Travolta's performance in Hairspray, but those clueless, greezy little foriegners at the Golden Globs just might celebrate it. The scary thing is, next year is almost certain to be even worse!
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 2:06am

I'm still scratching my head why Zodiac hasn't received much of a mention anywhere, let alone from the Golden Globes.  Is it short term memory on the critics' part?  Is it because I think more highly of it than it deserves?  Is it that the movies being released these last two months are so much better than Zodiac?  Is it a combination of any of the above, or maybe something I haven't hit upon?  I thought Zodiac would clearly be in the running... 

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 2:44am

Your mistake, cvcjr13, is in applying standards and logic to the voters of The Hollywood Foreign Press Association. A mere 93 members strong (GRAF Voters outnumber HFPA Voters by about eight-to-one, by the way) the people who select what I've alwaze called "The Golden Globs" are swayed more by the prospect of celebrity attendance at their event than they are by actual artistic merit. My favorite snarky remark ever made about them was when a wag in The Los Angeles Times called them "desperate people who would cross the Alps for a free hotdog!" Following on the heels of their still controversial selection of Pia Zadora as "Best New Star" for 1981, it became a running joke in the mid-1980s that if you wanted to win a Globe for a TV performance, all you had to do was host their ceremony (cross reference a winners list with a host list, and you'll note an embarrassing convergence). This year, with particularly piss-poor choices for the "Best" Awards, it's anybody's guess what'll wind up with the gold, deserving or not.

I also found it amusing that, while the Globes' Best Musical or Comedy Actress category has five solid contenders, their Best Dramatic Actress category had to throw in two obvious ringers (Jodie Foster in THE BRAVE ONE and possible Worst Actress RAZZIE® contender Cate Blanchett in ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE) to even come up with five choices... 

By the way, while I found ZODIAC to be one of the BETTER films I saw in 2007, I wouldn't personally pick it as THE best...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 7:55am

No, I loved Zodiac, too.  But the Globes have awful taste, which is why Revolta scored a nomination.

Is it because I think more highly of it than it deserves?

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 1:59pm
They love nominating Julia Roberts too. Despite the reviews mostly saying that she gives the least impressive performance for Charlie Wilson's war, she still got nominated for a Golden Globe. Along with her deserving ( If reviews are any indication) co-stars Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman.
 Post Reply Post Reply