Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2005 Film Discussions > KONG — The Post-Mortem...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Post Your KONG-SIzed Predictions Here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Your KONG-SIzed Predictions Here!
    Posted: December 07 2005 at 4:25am

The Big Ape running amok in The Big Apple looked like a potential Box Office Behemoth to us, and Anything BUT RAZZIE® Fodder...BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK?!?

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 4:52am

The guess here is that it won't win any Little Gold Naked Men, but it'll be well above Razzie consideration. If Dino DeLaurentiis hadn't given The Big Ape a Kong-sized shiner back in the 70's, we wouldn't even be worried about another gargantuan stinker.

But hey, if Dino hadn't revived interest, we'd probably never have had A*P*E*, and missed out on the most famous Jake Plummer Salute (so called here in Denver) in cinematic history!

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
LBSWebsite View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote LBSWebsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 7:17am

That's SO ridiculous.  Sure, the 1976 version of KONG left a big cinematic fart on everyone's impressions (thank God I never saw the film, either!), but after the fact that I've seen the trailers for Jackson's 2005 version, and the positive film buzz at RottenTomatoes.com (currently at 100%!), I'm pretty sure there won't be Razzie nominations of ANY kind at all for this motion picture.  From what I've heard from numerous sources, Oscar, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winner Peter Jackson has done an enormously serious job with staying true to the original masterpiece of the 1933 RKO picture...and you hardly see many of those in the 21st century (case in point: HOUSE OF WAX (or House of Whacks in your title-writing terms...)

Lawrence (Brian) Schwartz - LBSWebsite@hotmail.com

Python View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 7:35am
I don't want to rain on Peter Jackson's parade, but I hated the first two LORD OF THE RINGS films. I'm probably one of the very few that thought they stunk. Now RETURN OF THE KING I surprisingly liked. It seemed to have a broader motivation, as opposed to just a big budget. I also didn't care for Jackson's The FRIGHTENERS. So I'm not sure what to expect out of KING KONG. I do like Jack Black, Adrian Brody and Naomi Watts though!
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 4:11pm
I remember paying $10 a ticket to take my girlfriend to KING KONG's 
Opening Night at Pittsburgh's Warner Theater in 1976. Oh, I sure did
slither out of the theater after viewing that turkey!

Then there was KING KONG LIVES, where they gave him a 7 ton artificial heart, which was even more asinine than the 1976 remake.

Frankly, I don't want to monkey around with this, although the thought of
Silent Bob and Adrian "the Dummy" Brody replacing Robert Armstrong and Bruce Cabot...well, things could be worse: Jenny Mc Carthy could have replaced Fay Wray...
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 5:30pm
Depending on how many screens it's on, I bet KONG will come up with King-Sized First Weekend Numbers -- Maybe even bigger than any of the STAR WARS movies. Let's say...$150 million by Monday?!?!
deadguy76 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 9:24pm

Has any 2005 movie made more than $70 million on opening weekend? The box office curse will take it's toll on this $207 million dollar blockbuster, too.

I've read the script, I'm not too impressed. At least it will have good actors.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 5:17am
In response to Deadguy76 above: According to Box Office Mojo, both STAR WARS III and HARRY POTTER IV opened with First Weekends OVER $100 million. They are currently (as of December 9, 2005) ranked #1 and #3 for 2005...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Movie Man View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2005 at 8:35am
I think it has the potential to either kick "Titanic" off the top spot...or
does anyone remember another $200 million flop by the nameWATERWORLD
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2005 at 9:36pm

Yeah but Waterworld recouped its revenues overseas. It's common knowledge that most movies released this year have made more on DVD rentals and sales than at the box office.

SNL had a good skit with Bill O'Reilly ripping on the new King Kong remake.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
Fred View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 12:50am
Jack Black is SOOOOOOOOO obnoxious, plus this thing is freakin' three hours long!? Hell no, I won't go!
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 5:01pm
KONG is getting about a 95% Approval Rating at Rotten Tomatoes just now. And since anything movie critics like usually tanks, I'm betting the 8,000 Pound Gorilla may go down faster than the real Titanic...
Everything SUX!
seanwdragon View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote seanwdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 2:49am
I saw a sneak preview of it last night. It actually wasn't that bad. I thought it was a little slow to begin with, but once Kong was actually introduced, it picked up. I felt the actors did a decent job of acting (ironically) like they were in the early 20th century and by the end of the movie, i genuinely felt bad for Kong. They actually extended the battle between Kong and the T-Rex into a much longer (though enjoyable) battle. Overall, this movie succeeded my low expectations.
sgporsche48 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sgporsche48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 11:43am
I've seen previews for it and it seems to be a generally good movie. I have to say that it might (maybe) be an Oscar winning picture. Sorry Razzie, wait for another 3 hour movie.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 3:56am

Believe it or not, Sgporsche48, I'm actually GLAD when Hollywood makes a good movie. I plan to see KONG on opening day matinée, and will post my thoughts afterward.

Also, speaking of KONG's B.O. (as this Forum is meant to do) the consensus at B.O. MoJo is that The Big Ape will be King of This Weekend, with about $82 million.  I expect it'll TOP $100 million by Monday myself, but I guess we'll see when studio guess-timates come in on Sunday afternoon...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 9:30am

Razz, just saw it and loved it, first movie to make me cry in years.........errrrrrr........ figuratively speaking, of course.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>