Print Page | Close Window

Nacho Libre?

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: General MOVIE & DVD Discussions
Forum Name: Movies in General...
Forum Discription: Dis and pan the movies with critics & moviegoers alike.
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050
Printed Date: October 02 2014 at 3:44am

Topic: Nacho Libre?
Posted By: sportsartist24
Subject: Nacho Libre?
Date Posted: May 31 2006 at 4:52am
Oh man, check this one out. This looks like another dumb idea from Hollywood: NACHO LIBRE, about a cook who becomes a professional wrestler to save a Mexican orphanage. It stars Jack Black, with Hector Jimenez and Ana de la Reguera and is directed by Jared Hess (the director of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE). Some people may enjoy this (especially those who are big fans of Lucha Libre), and even praise Black's comic performance. But some people will be offended by this. Don't ask me who Hector Jimenez or Ana de la Reguera are, 'cause they're new to Hollywood. It most likely will be considered a B.O. hit, but I doubt it will be a monster hit. It's in theaters nationwide June 16, and is Rated PG (for rough action and crude humor, including dialogue).

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Replies:
Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: June 05 2006 at 11:33pm
Jack Black, easily among the worst comics in modern cinema, is back this week to assault our senses portraying an hispanic monk turned wrestler in a putrid looking comedy called Nacho Libre. Every preview I've seen suggests a definite Razzie contender.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: deadguy76
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 7:29pm

I'm curious why you didn't bring up any of his other roles, since they were all bad. Plus, I don't think it will be any worse than the several Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider movies we've already seen this year.

The first time Jack Black plays a Mexican, it's automatically a Razzie contender??

-------------
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76

Date Posted: June 08 2006 at 3:01pm

I'd be inclined to nominate Jack Black for just about any role he played, although I thought he was tolerable in King Kong. I'm not sure who your comment was directed to, but I didn't mention any of his other roles, simply because my personal emphasis was on this movie. His portrayal of an Hispanic has to be an affront to everyone of the heritage, and based on the trailers I've seen, the movie looks like a bona fide stinker in any event.

I do have a question though...to the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I am mistaken, I don't think Jack Black has any signficant claim to Hispanic heritage. In fact, I believe he is Jewish. Isn't it something of an insult that this role didn't go to an Hispanic actor/comic? Doesn't this rank right up there with casting John Wayne as Gengis Khan in The Conqueror?

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: June 08 2006 at 9:32pm
Ashley Judd, a white trash girl from Kentucky, played a Mexican in Frida which angered me to no end. There are dozens of latina actresses out there. Any of them could have played Ashley Judd's role. Especially since I only remember her in one scene!

-------------
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: June 09 2006 at 8:16am
And Anthony Hopkins played a black man...beat that!  

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2006 at 10:28am
Yeah but the Human Stain was good movie. Even if it was a little unbelievable.

-------------

- Joe Queenan

Date Posted: June 09 2006 at 10:49am
There are, in my estimation,  enough talented actors  from just about any necessary ethnic background that Hollywood shouldn't have to descend to some of the ridiculous casting we still see. I would have loved to see someone like Carlos Mencia in a role like Black is playing in Nacho Libre. Okay, he might be a little old for the role, but it might actually make the premise more plausible, and I'll bet he would have been hilarious.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:28pm
Some cases would be difficult. Like making movies about the Roman empire. There aren't too many ancient Romans at central casting these days.  But they could always do what they've always done in classic movies...have all the Romans played by English actors!

-------------

- Joe Queenan

Posted By: Rosen
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:29pm

I just saw the movie... it was such a waste of film, althought the quality of the film its self was just crappy...it was trying to achieve that grainy 70's look I think, but it just looked bad. I couldn't believe how rediculous the plot was, and sitting through most of the acting was like pulling teeth... actually, I think I would have rather been at the dentist come to think of it.

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 11:07pm
As long as your dentist wasn't Laurence Olivier from Marathon Man right?

-------------

- Joe Queenan

Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:45am

Thinking back on that movie, I really don't think I would have minded having him...

Date Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:54am
That's kind of ironic since you stated you were Jewish and Olivier played a Nazi who got his kicks from pulling teeth from concentration camps survivors. Oh man that must be one bad movie!

-------------

- Joe Queenan

Date Posted: June 20 2006 at 6:26am
My point exactly.

Posted By: callofduty06
Date Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:07pm
Jack Black is kinda funny but only when he's in a small role in someone else's movie, he just can't handel movies on his own!

Posted By: zicofirol
Date Posted: July 31 2006 at 12:04am
This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen -- on par with Mafia and The Ringer. But at least with those 2, I laughed at least 1 time. At Nacho Libre. I was just mad during the whole movie for wating my time going to watch it! Aside form the ridiculous plot, they could have made it much better and funnier. It was just bad...

-------------

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 1:20pm

I just got through seeing this very unfunny movie with my 8 year old Son and 4 year old daughter at the $2 dollar mark down Theater. We both agreed that the best part of the movie was the trailer for "Nacho" that we originally saw before the movie ever came out. My 8 year old stated that we should have paid the $24 dollars for "Ricky Bobby" instead of the $6 we paid to see this let down. He may have been right in the long run, So with our evening ruined we went home bitching all the way.

I would say literally 90 to 95 percent of the jokes that were meant to be "funny" were not; The only movie worst than this one for the year was the Benchwarmers.

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted By: Budgieboy
Date Posted: November 25 2006 at 9:35am
The thing I hate about Jack Black now is that he used to be good. When tenacious D released their first album, it was purely classic. He has unfortunatly sold out. I reckon it's after too much work with MTV.

-------------
A friend in need is a bloody nuisence

Print Page | Close Window