Print Page | Close Window

Is WILD HOGS as Bad as It LOOKS?!?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX!
Forum Name: WILD HOGS
Forum Discription: John Travolta, Tim Allen, Martin Lawrence...and Bill H. Macy? What's a GOOD Actor Doing in This??
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1714
Printed Date: April 17 2014 at 2:47am

Topic: Is WILD HOGS as Bad as It LOOKS?!?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Is WILD HOGS as Bad as It LOOKS?!?!?!?
Date Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:06pm

STARRING 2000 RAZZIE® "WINNER" JOHN TRAVOLTA, 2006 RAZZIE® NOMINEE TIM ALLEN, and the OFTEN RAZZIE®-WORTHY MARTIN LAWRENCE, WILD HOGS IS JUST ANOTHER UN-FUNNY, MALE-MIDLIFE-CRISIS KNOCKOFF -- CITY SLICKERS on MOTOR-SICKLES, IF YOU WILL.

OUR ONLY QUESTION: TO WHOM DID the USUALLY EXCELLENT BILL H. MACY LOSE a BET and WIND UP IN THIS FILM???

Tim Allen: "John -- Was that the motorcycle that just backfired...or YOU?!?!?!"

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: jb razz
Date Posted: February 27 2007 at 2:47am

These four guys are the most random selection of stars anyone could possibly think of. It's almost as if the director put the names of all middle-aged male actors into a bowl, and randomly selected these four.

This movie looks like it could be bad, but not as bad as this year's #1 worst comedy: Norbit. HeadRAZZ, You need to start a discussion board for Norbit. It is sorely missing from this Forum.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Here's a http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=178 - LINK to check out our new discussion of http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=178 - NORBIT ...

-------------

Posted By: EraFirma
Date Posted: February 27 2007 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by jb razz

These four guys are the most random selection of stars I could probably
think of. It's almost as if the director put the names of all middle-aged male
actors into a bowl and randomly selected four.

This movie looks like it could be bad, but not as bad as this year's #1 worst
comedy: Norbit
Headrazz, You need to start a discussion board for Norbit. It is sorely
missing from this forum.

I'm not sure anybody ever actually saw Norbit for the three days it was in theatres, so I would assume a forum for it would be relatively ghostly.;)

-------------

"Boy, Rick sure was lucky."
"Lucky? He's dead!"
"Yeah, but how many people get to get hit by a satellite. I'll bet he makes the Guiness Book of World Records."

Date Posted: February 27 2007 at 8:33pm
Just the straight fact that Martin Lawrence is in the film immediately disqualifies it from my viewing list. He is in my top 5 list of Actors I just will not support.

and on another note, I kind of like Tomsmo posting Official Reviews, Its nice to have the professional opinions to discuss off of as it's fun to see just how out of touch the main stream media actually is. I mean this is a discussion forum right? I am one who personally enjoys as many veiws as possible in my discussions. and seeing what certain people get paid for writing interests me and and also leads to pretty opinionated and wild postings.

-------------

"Lucky? He's dead!"
"Yeah, but how many people get to get hit by a satellite. I'll bet he makes the Guiness Book of World Records."

Date Posted: February 27 2007 at 8:38pm
it's a shame though since Travolta truley amazed the stuff out of my pants in A Love Song For Bobby Long ( which I believe is his most brilliant and best role ever) and It is also too bad that Tim Allen hasn't been able to land more script interesting roles as he did in Dave Barry's Big Trouble. I could see him pulling in a more of an intelligent cult following that way. At first this film looked pretty interesting to say the least but after the Martin Lawrence dominated trailers I just lost all the interest I could muster.

-------------

"Lucky? He's dead!"

Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 3:56am
Glad to see this film on our Discussion Forum -- I knew it would end up being a Razzie contender. I think I smell another Razzie nom for Tim Allen...

-------------

Posted By: tomsmo
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 9:06am

I guess when comes to Worst Screen Couple, are we going to call them all by their names on The Ballot, or should we Razz them as a group? If go to Rotten Tomatoes, you'll see that the only two Movies that had Fresh Tomatoes were Black Snake Moan & Zodiac. Wild Hogs is rated Rotten...

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 2:19pm

Although I don't care to pay to watch this film (maybe a rent or buy), the previews do look quite funny. Why are you guys making up the most random complaints about this movie? Just because it stars actors y'all don't like?! Who cares?! Rottontomatoes only has 31 reviews so far, so don't get your hopes high. I can already tell it might have some bad reviews but it could be entertaining and funny.

-------------

Posted By: Vidiot
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 2:45am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

the previews do look quite funny.

You can be sure that all the funny parts are in the trailer. And if you've seen the trailer, you've seen all the funny parts.

Wild Hogs is just another example of a really crappy movie, with a really crappy seen-it-before script acted by really crappy actors, (save Bill Macey.... what were you thinking Bill?).

It's still make 60 million+ because most Americans like crappy movies. And before you get all medieval on my ass for saying that "most Americans like crappy movies" I shall back up my claim with:

Norbit  - US Gross as of March 3 2007: $76,506,700
Ghost Rider - US Gross as of March 3 2007: $83,257,376

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=norbit.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostrider.htm

And eventhough "Wild Hogs" has a Tomatometer reading of Fresh: 12 Rotten: 70... it'll still make millions. This American phenomenon of raking in millions for steaming crap-in-a-bucket movies like this only perpetuates more steaming crap-in-a-bucket movies like this. 

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 3:22am
...also, the out-takes they showed on Oprah yesterday when "The Wild Hogs" were on her show were funny...

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 3:27am

Oprah also took Herself and The Audience to see The Movie and she said they all had good time watching Wild Hogs

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 4:56am
Originally posted by tomsmo

Oprah also took Herself and The Audience to see The Movie and she said they all had good time watching Wild Hogs

Which proves my point that "most Americans like crappy movies." You have to understand that Oprah's show is an hour-long commercial for the movie. That's what press junkets and appearances on TV talk shows are, a sales pitch.

Oprah would never say the movie sucks, but 73 out of 85 critics at Rotten Tomatoes do say Wild Hogs totally sucks.

So do I believe Oprah who is helping sell a product, (the movie Wild Hogs), or do I believe 73 out of 85 critics.

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 5:03am
Guess I'm going to have see Wild Hogs and findout for myself if it's any good...

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 5:21am

Guess I'm going to have see Wild Hogs and findout for myself if it's any good

This is one of the rare moments I would advise to download it via BitTorrent. No one deserves to make money for that kinda crap.

If you are looking for quality entertainment try "The Illusionist," "The Departed," "Borat," "Children of Men," "Little Miss Sunshine." But, if you are looking to have an hour and a half stolen from your life, and permanent psychological damage, then go see "Wild Hogs."

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 5:36am
I have seen Departed (I have it on DVD). I will Probably watch Borat and Little Miss Sunshine on HBO or Starz, but the other two, probably not. As for downloading, I do not feel like going Jail over Wild Hogs. I could maybe see it for free at The Theater where my Brother works. If I had to pay for a movie this weekend, I would either pay for Black Snake Moan or Zodiac...

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 8:39am

If I had to pay for a movie this weekend I would either pay for Black Snake Moan or Zodiac.

I am anxious to see Zodiac. I hear it's very good. And it has to be better than watching yet another derivative retread full of clichés about a "mid-life crisis" featuring...... Martin Lawrence, Travolta and Tim "remember Zoom anyone?" Allen....

Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 10:44pm
More proof that "most Americans like crappy movies."

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/wild-hogs-goes-hog-wil d-at-box-office-jake-gyllenhaals-zodiac-disappoints/

"Zodiac and Black Snake Moan opened only so-so at the box office this weekend while the PG-13 rated Wild Hogs made a mint.

Wild Hogs about four middle-aged guys... rode off on their motorcycles together for $10.8 mil Friday and what should be a whopping $32.5 mil weekend.

By contrast, No. 2 Zodiac, the serial killer saga from Paramount.... made only $4 mil Friday for what should be a disappointing $11.5 mil weekend..."

{edited to add}

Some reviews from Rotten Tomatoes..

"An unending cycle of gay-panic and object-collides-with-testicles jokes..."

"Wild Hogs is more tired, worn out, and sagging than its protagonists..."

"
If you listen closely, you can hear your brain cells fizzling...."

"Even Chevy Chase wouldn't be caught dead doing this stuff...."

Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 5:29am

Looks like The Wild Hogs rode to B.O. Victory (pun intended). Wonder how it will hold up against 300, which comes out this week.

-------------

Posted By: Movie Man
Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 6:07am
I have no doubt "300" will rule.

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 8:29am
300 will rule. Zodiac is getting awesome reviews, with the cast being called great ( With most of the praise in the reviews I've read going to Robert Downey Jr. and Brian Cox......all hail the Cox-master........that sounds so dirty)

Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 9:04am
You guys are being way too serious over this film. Critics probably don't like thiss movie because they are tired of seeing the same thing over and over again. Americans don't watch dumb movies. They just wanna have fun which is why they watch "crappy" films. The critics obviously have a different opinion than normal people...

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 11:59pm

You guys are being way too serious over this film.

Not really. It either sucks, (bad script, lame acting), or it doesn't suck, (good script, good acting). Wild Hogs falls into the former category.

Critics probably don't like thiss movie because they are tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

Which Wild Hogs is. It is a clone of a hundred other forgettable movies that keeps movie going dumbed down for the masses.

Americans don't watch dumb movies.

I am not saying all American's are dumb, that is a fallacy. What I am saying is Americans do support dumb/bad/lame movies. The box office numbers prove this theory to be true.

(all from Boxofficemojo)

Wild Hogs / US Gross = $38,000,000
Norbit / US Gross =
$82,953,000
Ghost Rider / US Gross = $94,757,000
Stomp the Yard / US Gross = $60,623,618

...as opposed to...

Zodiac / US Gross =
$13,100,000
The Last King of Scotland / US Gross = $15,310,000
Letters From Iwo Jima / US Gross = $13,316,000
Children of Men / US Gross = $35,003,053

"Letters from Iwo Jima" makes 13 million total...and is destroyed at the box office by both "Stomp the Yard" and "Wild Hogs". I rest my case.

They just wanna have fun which is why they watch those "crappy" films.

One can have fun watching a "smart" movie too!

The critics obviously have a different opinion than normal people.

Sure many have an agenda. But "Wild Hogs" is a stupid movie... with a seen-it-a-hundred-times-before mid-life crisis script slathered with poo-poo, gay and fart jokes just for good measure...

-------------

Date Posted: March 05 2007 at 2:35pm

Well, I never get tired of it and you blame on films you haven't even watch like the inspirational Stomp the Yard. People hate it because it's a black movie. That's what IMDb ratings are leaning toward. Look at Daddy's Little Girls which also has a low rating and so as Norbit. Hmmm...oh, they are all black films! If you haven't noticed the trend, then I just pointed them out from you.

If have heard so many people talk so much crap about Stomp the Yard because it's another black film or dance film. At least is has a moral and is like Freedom Writers, which has a high rating. I wonder why. Both are unique films with a moral and both are inspirational. I don't see why color makes the difference. Future black films would soon get low rating.

Even my friend who saw Zodiac (which in your opinion was "great") hated it. She said it was too long and people in the theaters are irritated and just wanted to know the ending, which she spelled out, and I got mad at her. She said don't waste my money to see it.

See, people (or at least I) would rather watch films that are fun and easy to follow, unlike films that you have to think about (which I don't have a problem with). I would rather watch Harry Potter 20 times than Memento 3 times. Why? Memento gets so worn out after the second viewing, along with other overrated films. Films like Harry Potter, War of the Worlds, Meet the Parents, and so on are films I would rather watch more than once. See, all films critics like (and all Oscar nominated films) are so boring, an average movie goer would rather see something "stupid". I would even have to admit it. Million Dollar Baby was very good, but thinking about watching it a second time kinda makes me think I'm wasting my life. Although Oscar films may made my top 50 list, other films are much more entertaining but still, don't reach my top 50 list.

Response from Head RAZZberry: If your point is that average movie-goers prefer not to think while watching a movie, then you've basically validated Vidiot's point. As for bagging on MEMENTO, it's one of my Berry Favorite Movies of the last few years -- Precisely because it demands that you think and pay attention while watching it...

Also, assuming that critics dislike something because it's "a black movie" is a bit much. Why can't people criticize movies of any kind, if they don't like them? Suggesting that having Black characters somehow makes a movie immune from criticism is pandering and insulting. Any film-maker willing to put his or her vision on screen ought also to be willing to allow it to be fairly criticized. And even if STOMP THE YARD was a big box office hit, it was clearly also a re-hash of about 27 previous movies. Popular success, as your own posting inadvertently makes clear, has nothing to do with artistic merit.

-------------

Posted By: jb razz
Date Posted: March 05 2007 at 3:31pm

We didn't say anything bad about Harry Potter, War of the Worlds or Meet the Parents. There is a huge difference between movies that are fun and easy to follow and bad movies. It's just that bad movies usually happen to be light, easy to follow entertainment. I love fun and light movies, but thay can have the tendency to go bad, even though they usually don't.

I don't know about Daddy's Little Girls, but Norbit and Stomp the Yard don't have low ratings because because they are black movies, but because they are bad. If Norbit had an all white cast it would still be not funny, and Stomp the Yard may have good morals but it is badly made. Drumline (2004) is similar to Stomp the Yard with an all black cast but it is well made and enjoyable. Barbershop (2002) is an example of a good african american comedy.

Moviewizguy, you keep coming onto this site and writing random posts criticizing either us, the critics, or the IMDb users for saying a movie is bad, or coming up with some absurd reasons to explain their bad reviews. You seem to be someone who's mission is to prove that "there is no bad in cinema," and you are struggling to do so. Please write some intelligent comments about what you see as "bad" in a movie (any movie) and tell us what movies you think have actually deserved Razzies.

Remember, on this Forum we speculate that a movie will be bad, but we don't officially label a movie as "bad". That is up to your personal opinion. A movie is not officially label as "bad" by us until the nominations are announced, and the nominations are determined by the voting membership voicing their personal opinions. If enough people have the same low opinion, the movie gets nominated, and is then labeled as "bad."

-------------

Date Posted: March 05 2007 at 11:05pm

...and you blame on films you haven't even watch like the inspirational Stomp the Yard. People hate it because it's a black movie.

"Stomp the Yard" had bad reviews because it sucked, not because it had "black" actors in it.

Look at Daddy's Little Girls...

"Daddy's Little Girls" had bad reviews because it sucked, not because it had "black" actors in it.

...which also has a low rating and so as Norbit.

"Norbit" had bad reviews because it really sucked, not because it had "black" actors in it.

If you haven't noticed the trend, then I just pointed them out from you.

Actually what you are doing is using crappy movies as evidence that there is a "trend" to diss movies with black actors in it. Which is false. Those movies had bad reviews because they were actually bad.

If one looks at the Academy Awards this year Best Actor was won by a black man, and Best Supporting Actress was won by a black woman. Both were in great movies which featured black story-lines.

Even my friend who saw Zodiac (in your opinion which was "great") hated it.

That is why "Wild Hogs" made $39.7 million in three days. Because Americans like dumb movies. One doesn't have to think when one watches it. All one has to do is stuff one's face with more food and wait for something to collide with so-and-so's balls... and then laugh like you've never seen it before.

She said it was too long and people in the theaters are irritated and just wanted to know the ending

That's because nothing collided with anyone's testicles in Zodiac, nor was their any krunking, or anything resembling a lame soap opera subplot.

See, people, or I, would rather watch films that are fun and easy to follow unlike films that you have to think about (which I don't have a problem with).

A movie can have a good script and be fun to watch at the same time. Take Indiana Jones, Little Miss Sunshine, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Strictly Ballroom, Bridget Jones's Diary, to name a few.

See, all films critics and Oscar nominated films are so boring an average movie goer would rather see something "stupid".

I disagree. A lot of Oscar-nominated movies are fun to watch. Some over and over again. While others are boring after one sitting.

The bottom line for me is you deserve better than just "Wild Hogs" moviewizguy. You really do. We all deserve better movies than "Wild Hogs."

p.s. (...and the part that really eats me up inside is that Travolta, Lawrence and Allen each made more money starring in this steaming pile of dog-crap than 90% of Americans will ever earn in their entire lifetimes...)

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2007 at 8:36am

Well, I'm not going to see Wild Hogs. I'm going to watch 300 this week, which are movies we "deserve"? Anyway, I doubt people have seen Daddy's Little Girls because if you have seen the trailer, it has some potential and actually looks great. It doesn't have Madea (which is probably the main reason people didn't like TP's first two films). I didn't pick bad black films. I just picked films that had an all black cast that were recent. I swear those three films are the most recent black films which all of them turned out bad? Drumline has a rating of 5-6 on IMDb and in you saw who voted what, the second most votes were for 1, mainly I think because of the main star who was in it...

Response from Head RAZZberry: Your point, garbled though it is, still has almost no validity. To assume that because a film has mostly African American actors in it, and gets generally bad reviews, that the one is directly related to the other is a leap of logic even even Rush Limbaugh would hesitate to make. If your thesis were true, how do you explain the excellent reviews, Oscar nominations and $100 million gross for DREAMGIRLS??  

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:29am
Just saw Zodiac. Good movie. Best of 2007 so far. I can see it getting nominated for the screen actors guild award for Best Ensemble, as there wasn't a single weak link in the cast.

Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:14pm

Well, it's hard to explain. It's not like Dreamgirls and Hotel Rwanda are supposed to have bad ratings. It's just that maybe the unpopular black films get low ratings. The next black film, I Think I Love My Wife, might get a low rating, but I'm not so sure.

Response from Head RAZZberry: You have once again contradicted yourself -- One of the examples you cited for your thesis was STOMP THE YARD, which you yourself admitted was not an "unpopular black film." It is considered a box office success (and according to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2007&p=.htm - Box Office MoJo   currently ranks among the Top 5 for all of 2007). How does that gibe with your argument??

I am beginning to think you have a specious "theory," with weak (and seemingly ever-changing) evidence to back it up... 

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 1:19pm

moviewizguy mentioned I Think I Love My Wife, which has already gotten a bad review at Yahoo Movies -- Here's a http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20070308/117337341700.html - LINK to read the review...

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:02am

...which are movies we "deserve"?

Allow me to illustrate a point. As painful as it may seem it is the truth... and the reason why movies like "Wild Hogs" out-earn movies like "Letters From Iwo Jima" by tens of millions of dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

(courtesy of YouTube)

Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 10:31am
I'll see Wild Hogs, since most of the reviews I've read (both good and bad) have said that Ray Liotta, Marisa Tomei, and (to a lesser extent) William H. Macy are pretty good in it. Although after watching Goodfellas today, it made me nostalgic for the days when Ray Liotta  gave good performances in good movies, instead of standing out in crappy ones...

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Sanndman228715

I'll see Wild Hogs, since most of the reviews I've read (both good and bad) have said that Ray Liotta, Marisa Tomei, and (to a lesser extent) William H. Macy are pretty good in it.

...and 99.999% of the reviews also mention that Lawrence, Travolta and Allen are really really dreadful in it.

If you like to watch William H. Macy see "Thank you for Smoking" or "Magnolia." If you like to watch Ray Liotta see "Cop Land" or "The Rat Pack." If you like watch Marissa Tomei see "My Cousin Vinnie."

But for the love of god don't support bad movies with your hard-earned money, don't support bad acting with with your hard-earned money, and don't support studios who green-light this kind crap with your hard-earned money....support them with well-deserved insults, and Golden Raspberries!!!!

p.s. "Hogs" has drawn $57,285,000 domestic as of March 11, 2007. $57 million! Arrrggghhhhh!  And the top domestic grossing movie for 2007 is? Anyone????... "Ghost Rider!" at $99,257,000, closely followed by "Stomp the Yard" and "Norbit".....un-frikkin-believable.

Martin Scorsese who? Steven Frears who? Clint Eastwood? Fagetaboutit! Kinda puts alot of things into perspective. For instance, why an ex-member of LIPSYNC...er...sorry, NSYNC is #1 in American music.

Date Posted: March 11 2007 at 8:08am
I don't expect Martin Lawrence or Tim Allen to be good usually. And Travolta is co-chairman of the hit-or-miss club (Along with Jon Voight). Yeah, Macy is usually always good ( I just bought Magnolia and am going to watch it for the first time this week). And I think Liotta is one of the best actors to never be nominated for an Oscar. (I think he should have been for Narc). His intensity is great. I never saw Cop Land. You say Liotta's good in it? How is Keitel ( Who is another one of my favorites).

Date Posted: March 11 2007 at 12:31pm
I was wondering as worst Screen Couple will it be John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen & William H. Macy or should we go with just The Wild Hogs.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: March 18 2007 at 3:14am

I saw this movie yesterday. For about the first 15 minutes, it wasn't particularly painful. Then it suddenly turned into a low rent Every Which Way But Loose without the charms of Clyde, the orangutan. Here is a bit of a plot spoiler though: If, sometime in the first 15 minutes of the film, you happen to find yourself wondering, "Gee, how long until Peter Fonda makes a cameo?"...the answer is 94 minutes. (the film runs 99 minutes).

William H. Macy is entirely wasted in this film...I kept wondering, "Who has pictures of him embarrassing enough to get him to do this?" Macy and Tim Allen should have switched roles.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: Brierfox
Date Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:00am
I'm 57 but look 56.
 I started riding motorcycles when I was 16 and I used to race on dirt tracks and did some road racing as well.  My last street bike went from zero to sixty in 2.5 seconds and I was very comfy cruising at 120mph on a Sunday afternoon. 
Hey, it's not as dangerous as the job I retired from!
 So, I understand how men, who never did anything risky when they were younger, can get the urge to buy a Harley.   Some men take up mountain climbing, or attend a school to learn how to operate a bulldozer.  I've heard of men who actually pay someone to let them herd cows!
I stopped racing when I was thirty,  I wasn't good enough to make a living at it and I knew it.  So I've had enough of risk taking.
Remember the movie "Middle Age Crazy"?   never mind.
All of the actors in "Hogs" looked like they were having fun and enjoying themselves.   Of course as we all know, they all own and ride Harley's in their spare time.   The film looks improvised now and then, and stereotypes and anti-stereotypes abound, but overall it's a funny movie.    Maybe the best thing about this or any movie, is that I didn't feel as though my intelligence was being insulted.
It's a guy movie but you can take your chick to it,  unless she's the type who asks questions during movies.   If your wife/girlfriend also rides, then you have it made!   Otherwise you'll be explaining all the goofy guy jokes instead and miss some great dialog.
 I think it would be better to rent the DVD, play it on a wide screen and watch it with your buddies...and some Budd! 

-------------
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: March 24 2007 at 11:11am
You mean it turned out to be a movie about the Black Widows???

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I saw this movie yesterday. For about the first 15 minutes, it wasn't particularly painful. Then it suddenly turned into a low rent Every Which Way But Loose without the charms of Clyde, the orangutan. Here is a bit of a plot spoiler though: If, sometime in the first 15 minutes of the film, you happen to find yourself wondering, "Gee, how long until Peter Fonda makes a cameo?"...the answer is 94 minutes. (the film runs 99 minutes).

William H. Macy is entirely wasted in this film...I kept wondering, "Who has pictures of him embarrassing enough to get him to do this?" Macy and Tim Allen should have switched roles.

Even if they switched roles...I have a feeling that Tim Allen would still get a RAZZIE nod...ESPECIALLY from me...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: March 24 2007 at 11:15am

I was wondering as worst Screen Couple will it be John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen & William H. Macy or should we go with just The Wild Hogs.

...or Tim Allen and the bike he rode in on...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: March 28 2007 at 2:25am
Someone in line mentioned something about it being a ripoff of WAGONS EAST...but with motorcycles...

If I had a free ticket to make that analysis...maybe I'd see it...

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2007 at 4:40pm
Against my better judgement I saw this ( Hey, I wasn't paying). It wasn't funny. Travolta tried but he's going to need another career resurrection soon (Well, reports say he's good in Hairspray). Even William H. Macy, who I'm a big fan of, couldn't hold my interest. However I'll ( Like I usually do) point out the lone good point: Ray Liotta made (As he always does) a convincing villain/psychopath.

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 5:07am
Even though none of the critics liked this film a lot, that didn't stop audiences from seeing this movie. By far, after Thursday's results, it's standing at $153.3 Million at the U.S. Box Office and $181.8 Million at the Box Office Worldwide, second behind 300, with $202.3 Million at the U.S. Box Office and $405.8 Million at the Box Office Worldwide. Ghost Rider, by far, is in third with $115.2 Million at the U.S. Box Office and $221.9 Million at the Box Office Worldwide.

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 6:31pm

Originally posted by Razzilla

...or Tim Allen and the bike he rode in on...

I could support this nomination.

I saw the movie in the cheap theatre.  It was what I call a "dumb movie"; a movie that not to be taken seriously, just sit back and enjoy it.  As such, the price of full-priced theatre tickets (not to mention gasoline) is too high for dumb movies.  See it in a cheap theatre, or wait and rent it or watch it on TV.  Don't expect much, and expect lots of old jokes.  Yes, Macy, Liotta and Tormei give great performances.  I wouldn't own it, but I wouldn't walk away from it, either.

If any of the three other leads could be singled out, I'd say it was Allen, who still hasn't qute recovered since Christmas with the Kranks and everything that followed.  That's not to say Travolta's and Lawrence's performance were any better.

Posted By: dipitlow555
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 3:57pm
Let's face it, any movie with Tim Allen's name on it these days isn't worth seeing. THANK GOD John Travolta redeemed himself (as a woman of all things) in HAIRSPRAY!!!!! He's just so much better in musicals.

Posted By: Criss808
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 3:03pm
Wow! This movie was SO unfunny and predictable.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 12:14pm
Why have so many people seen this movie? After its final date in theaters (August 2) this film made over $168 million at the U.S. Box Office alone...

-------------

Posted By: whennow
Date Posted: August 14 2007 at 3:51am

Star charisma drove this movie. You may not see it in Wild Hogs, but all the actors inthe movie have been appealing at one time or another, in my view. Macy is always good, so it's weird that he's here. But all the others have some good history...

-------------

Posted By: Movie Man
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 3:17am
I saw the movie on DVD, and it was actually pretty good. All the actors did a good job. Martin Lawrence and William H. Macy (and the cop) had the funniest lines in the movie.

Posted By: ZookGuy
Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 5:15am

Well, I never get tired of it and you blame on films you haven't even watch like the inspirational Stomp the Yard. People hate it because it's a black movie. That's what IMDb ratings are leaning toward. Look at Daddy's Little Girls which also has a low rating and so as Norbit. Hmmm...oh, they are all black films! If you haven't noticed the trend, then I just pointed them out from you.

That's not true actually, War of the Worlds (all-white cast) was panned by critics, but was a box office hit! And if you are speaking out against racism, why are you using the term 'black people'?

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: September 09 2007 at 10:53am

"Zodiac" was great it's number 9 on my favorite movies of the year. "300", however is the BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR, and #7 on my list of best movies ever!

Originally posted by Sanndman228715

300 will rule. Zodiac is getting awesome reviews, with the cast being called great ( With most of the praise in the reviews I've read going to Robert Downey Jr. and Brian Cox......all hail the Cox-master........that sounds so dirty)

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness

Date Posted: September 09 2007 at 10:55am

"Every Which Way But Lose" was crap, and a waste of Clint Eastwood, my # 2 favorite actor behind Jack Nicholson.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2007 at 8:28am

moviewizguy, you are dumb! "Stomp The Yard" was derivative, "Daddy's Little Girls" was manipulative crap, and "Norbit" makes "Epic Movie" look good! Also, "Zodiac" was better than "Wild Hogs". Admittedly, I did kinda enjoy "Wild Hogs". But, the low point of your post was your defamation of "Memento", the best movie of 2001. "Harry Potter" was great, but not on the same level as "Memento". I'm a proud owner of it...

If have heard so many people talk so much crap about Stomp the Yard because it's another black film or dance film. At least is has a moral and is like Freedom Writers, which has a high rating. I wonder why. Both are unique films with a moral and both are inspirational. I don't see why color makes the difference. Future black films would soon get low rating.

Even my friend who saw Zodiac (which in your opinion was "great") hated it. She said it was too long and people in the theaters are irritated and just wanted to know the ending, which she spelled out, and I got mad at her. She said don't waste my money to see it.

See, people (or at least I) would rather watch films that are fun and easy to follow, unlike films that you have to think about (which I don't have a problem with). I would rather watch Harry Potter 20 times than Memento 3 times. Why? Memento gets so worn out after the second viewing, along with other overrated films. Films like Harry Potter, War of the Worlds, Meet the Parents, and so on are films I would rather watch more than once. See, all films critics like (and all Oscar nominated films) are so boring, an average movie goer would rather see something "stupid". I would even have to admit it. Million Dollar Baby was very good, but thinking about watching it a second time kinda makes me think I'm wasting my life. Although Oscar films may made my top 50 list, other films are much more entertaining but still, don't reach my top 50 list.

Response from Head RAZZberry: If your point is that average movie-goers prefer not to think while watching a movie, then you've basically validated Vidiot's point. As for bagging on MEMENTO, it's one of my Berry Favorite Movies of the last few years -- Precisely because it demands that you think and pay attention while watching it...

Also, assuming that critics dislike something because it's "a black movie" is a bit much. Why can't people criticize movies of any kind, if they don't like them? Suggesting that having Black characters somehow makes a movie immune from criticism is pandering and insulting. Any film-maker willing to put his or her vision on screen ought also to be willing to allow it to be fairly criticized. And even if STOMP THE YARD was a big box office hit, it was clearly also a re-hash of about 27 previous movies. Popular success, as your own posting inadvertently makes clear, has nothing to do with artistic merit.

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: September 24 2007 at 5:18pm

No argument about Every Which Way But Loose, which I cited specifically to demonstrate just how low on the food chain Wild Hogs was. You are somewhat more enthusiastic about Eastwood than I, but he has made some movies I liked...

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

"Every Which Way But Lose" was crap, and a waste of Clint Eastwood, my # 2 favorite actor behind Jack Nicholson.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: December 15 2007 at 2:06pm

John Travolta, as I have heard, teamed up with WILD HOGS director Walt Becker, and have just finished filming the movie. Now, it's in post-production, and the movie is called OLD DOGS. The plot is about two friends and business partners find their lives turned upside down when strange circumstances lead to them being placed in the care of 7-year-old twins. The film will also star 2000 Worst Supporting Actress RAZZIE Winner Kelly Preston, 2-time RAZZIE nominee Robin Williams, along with Matt Dillon, Bernie Mac, Dax Shepherd, and Seth Green.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:11am
This movie was funny,but also cliched and predictable.We get a great performance from Macy,but with Travolta...it's the other way around.Ultimately it's so forgettable,like the kind of movie you watch once,and then re-watch it on Sunday afternoons out of boredom.

I give it 5/10.

Memento gets so worn out after the second viewing, along with other overrated films.

Gasp!

Actually,you bring up a very good point.MEMENTO is my all time favorite because I can't watch it again.I mean,I have to so I can connect all the dots but it's not like I'll be entertained watching it again.Every movie is less good the 2nd viewing.The 1st time I saw BORAT I couldn't stop laughing,but since the 2nd time I don't laugh that much.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window