Print Page | Close Window

Have a Reaping Helping of Horror Clichés!

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX!
Forum Name: THE REAPING
Forum Discription: Following Up a 2nd Oscar Win with This Tripe Makes Hillary's Career Look Anything BUT Swank!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1850
Printed Date: December 21 2014 at 4:52pm

Topic: Have a Reaping Helping of Horror Clichés!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Have a Reaping Helping of Horror Clichés!
Date Posted: April 04 2007 at 3:54pm

FOLLOWING in the FOOTSTEPS of FAYE DUNAWAY, LIZA MINNELLI and HALLE BERRY, 2-TIME OSCAR WINNER HILLARY SWANK TAKES the RISK of TANKING HER CAREER by APPEARING in a BLATANTLY RAZZ-ABLE MOVIE: THE REAPING. WALL-to-WALL WITH HORROR CLICHÉS, PLAGUES and BIBLICAL MUMBO-JUMBO, REAPING MAKES LAST YEAR's OMEN REMAKE LOOK REPUTABLE by COMPARISON.

FEEL FREE to SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS and OPINIONS BELOW... 

DIRECTOR: "And over here on this end of your mantle, Hillary, you can put your first RAZZIE -- Right next to those two Little Gold Naked Men..."

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: April 05 2007 at 4:35am
Of course, at least Hilary won't be nominated for Freedom Writers. That movie was a little better. But I was pretty much disappointment with her performance in The Black Dahlia last year. Of course, she wasn't on the ballot last year for The Black Dahlia. But her career is NOT done yet though. She has like a couple more films coming out. But did you know, Head RAZZ, the director of this film has directed other RAZZible films? There's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097981/" name=director1980>A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989), http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/ - The Ghost and the Darkness (1996), and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120738/ - Lost in Space (1998). The first one won a RAZZIE, which was Worst Original Song back at the 10th Annual RAZZIE Awards.

Posted By: tomsmobr
Date Posted: April 05 2007 at 5:22am

I wondering what made Ms. Swank pick The Weeping strange.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: April 05 2007 at 10:23am
I love Dark Castle Production because their films are actually good, sometimes scary and they aren't afraid of releasing R rated films! I don't care what anyone says about Gothika and House of Wax (the only two films I've seen in this company) but they were fantastic and maybe this one too. One of their pros is that they have a great production design (you can't deny that) and great cinematography (at least for Gothika and probably The Reaping)!

Posted By: ArtGirl138
Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 2:26pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I love Dark Castle Production because their films are actually good, sometimes scary and they aren't afraid of releasing R rated films! I don't care what anyone says about Gothika and House of Wax (the only two films I've seen in this company) but they were fantastic and maybe this one too. One of their pros is that they have a great production design (you can't deny that) and great cinematography (at least for Gothika and probably The Reaping)!

Cinematography and production design do not make a crappy movie less crappy. Good screenwriting, directing, and acting (plus a little thing called originality) make a good movie.

And, judging from the reviews, The Reaping won't be winning any awards (except for some Razzies, perhaps) in THOSE fields.

-------------
Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek

Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 2:52pm
Well, cinematography and production designs does make these films good looking.

Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 4:15pm
Ok, for the updates on RT on the films released this week nationwide, Disturbia is getting a 54% approval from critics, with 24 reviews counted, 13 fresh and 11 rotten, Pathfinder doesn't have any reviews counted in right at this minute, maybe it's because they probably are not screening that movie for critics, Perfect Stranger, which stars 1998 RAZZIE "Winner" Bruce Willis and 2004 RAZZIE "Winner" Halle Berry is getting only a 17% approval from critics, with just 12 reviews counted, only 2 fresh and 10 rotten, Redline doesn't have any reviews counted in right at this minute, and the same thing for Slow Burn. So, by far, it looks like Perfect Stranger will end up being the Worst New Movie of the Weak for April 13.

Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:54am

Well, cinematography and production designs does make these films good looking.

First off, it's "do", not "does". If you're gonna make a rebuttal, please use proper English.

Now that I got that off my chest, let me offer a counterpoint: you said good looking, not good. So you admit these movies were bad in substance, but looked good, so that makes them good? Kinda shallow, don't you think?

Granted, if a movie looks good, it's a nice bonus, but, as I said before, it doesn't make a crappy movie less crappy.

(If anyone wants this little debate to stop, I'll shut up.)

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:50pm

Ok, I never said they were bad because I've never seen them, ecept Gothika and House of Wax, which both were good not that the fact of those two things. Those two things were a nice addition to the movies but really, they didn't have as many cliches as most horror movies.

Like in this scene from House of Wax: (SPOILERS!!!)

When the bad guy was beating up one of the main characters, his sister comes and hits him with a bat. No, she hits him CONTINUOUSLY until the bad guy dies. I mean, at most, you'll find people hitting the bad guy once and run away until they trip and they die.

END SPOILERS!!!

Date Posted: April 15 2007 at 9:16am

It's still unoriginal. How?

One word...

REMAKE!

If you're gonna prove that these movies are "original", you might not wanna choose a remake of a cheesy 3D horror flick from 1953 (especially when that movie was ALSO a remake of a previous horror film).

Let me know when you can back your point up.

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 9:36am
You get a lazy excuse like "remake"? Who really freakin' cares right now? There are so many remakes and sequels! I mean, HOW just took the concept of the "real people under wax figures" in the original and turned it into a creative slasher film! It didn't copy every piece of scene in the original. Same with Death Proof in Grindhouse. It's just a serial killer with a car. Yuo call that original? Og course, because it's Tarantino. No wonder his movies are so overrated.

Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 11:32am

You get a lazy excuse like "remake"? Who really freakin' cares right now?

People do care, actually. Why waste your hard-earned cash on something that's already been done?

Yuo call that original? Og course, because it's Tarantino. No wonder his movies are so overrated.

Grindhouse, including Death Proof, isn't just getting good reviews because of Tarantino. It's getting good reviews because it's good.

Which is more than I can say for your taste in cinema. (Seriously...I looked at some of your other posts...you defended DATE MOVIE?! )

Oh, and as a side-note...see that little button with the "ABC" and the check mark? It's called "Spell Check". USE IT.

-------------

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:15am
Sadly this won't go down as the best movie to ever have raining frogs, Magnolia has that honor.

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:42am

Originally posted by Sanndman228715

Sadly this won't go down as the best movie to ever have raining frogs, Magnolia has that honor.

I have not seen Magnolia if I'm not mistaken is that with Tom Cruise didn't he also get a Oscar Nommie for that trying to remember also what has happen to The Head Razzies hope every thing is okay with him also are Worst Of The Weak looks to be In The Land Of Women which happens to co star Academy Award Winner for Moon Monstruck and also stars Meg Ryan kind of Wonder if this Movie would get them both Co Starring Razzies Nods ITLOW is at 39% on The Tomatoe Meter

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:55am
Tom Cruise did get an Oscar nomination for Magnolia, he was very good in it. I thought almost everyone in the cast was good (Although this was, to me, not one of Julianne Moore's best performances.).  It also was nominated for (And won) a few awards for Best Ensemble cast. Well when you have William H. Macy, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, John C. Reilly, Alfred Molina (Although I was wondering why he only has one scene in each Paul Thomas Anderson film he appears in. His scene in Magnolia was very good, and I thought his scene was the best part of Boogie Nights), Phillip Baker Hall, and the late, great Jason Robards in the cast, it's hard to miss.

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by tomsmobr

also what has happen to The Head Razzies hope every thing is okay with him also are Worst Of The Weak looks to be In The Land Of Women which happens to co star Academy Award Winner for Moon Monstruck and also stars Meg Ryan kind of Wonder if this Movie would get them both Co Starring Razzies Nods ITLOW is at 39% on The Tomatoe Meter

Hmmm...we haven't had a Worst of the Weak in a while...he still hasn't added "Perfect Stranger" (11% on RT) and "Are We Done Yet?" (10%) on the forums yet, either...

Well, anyway, I'm sure Head RAZZ will let us know what's going on.

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 2:36pm
I talked about them last week on The Forum I also added Pathfinder which is at 12% along with Perfect Stranger, and I made them Two Worst Of The Weak coming in this week The Only I see fit to make The Worst of The Weak is In The Land Of Women being that The Only other movie that getting at rotten tomatoe is Vacancy which is a Horror Movie which I agree is to easy to pick on. The Reason I made In The Land Of Women is because it co-stars Oscar Winner and Meg Ryan and The Reviews don't seem that great being that it's sitting at 39% well hopefully every thing okay with The Head Razz.

Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:16pm

Oh, yes, the "spell check" excuse. You people really are English addicts, are you? Seems like it's a waste of valuble time in my life, using correct spelling and grammar. And you stilled ignored my comment on Death Proof. I hear tons people who liked Planet Terror more than Death Proof. Death proof is a serial killer with a car! There's nothing original about that! Planet Terror is another zombie movie! I don't know why but Grindhouse is overrated....but it was a good movie.

You know why movies need to get remade? Teens like us never seen the original so we need an ubeat version for us to watch it. Just because you're a little old fool can't be the excuse for you to complain that Disturbia is actually getting good reviews and actually being good in the box office.

Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:30pm

I agree with Grindhouse was really good wish it would have done better at The Box Office, but I guess it will probably find a cult following on DVD. I thought that Planet Terror was better than Death Proof, and I that The Trailers were funny. Don't know why they don't make them into Direct to Video Films -- maybe they could list them  as The Grindhouse Collection, or some thing like that...

Oh, yes, the "spell check" excuse. You people really are English addicts, are you? Seems like it's a waste of valuble time in my life, using correct spelling and grammar. And you stilled ignored my comment on Death Proof. I hear tons people who liked Planet Terror more than Death Proof. Death proof is a serial killer with a car! There's nothing original about that! Planet Terror is another zombie movie! I don't know why but Grindhouse is overrated....but it was a good movie.

You know why movies need to get remade? Teens like us never seen the original so we need an ubeat version for us to watch it. Just because you're a little old fool can't be the excuse for you to complain that Disturbia is actually getting good reviews and actually being good in the box office.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:52pm
everyone wished it could have done better. I was quite disappointed people don't like to sit through a 3 hour movie.

Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 1:17pm

And you stilled ignored my comment on Death Proof. I hear tons people who liked Planet Terror more than Death Proof. Death proof is a serial killer with a car! There's nothing original about that! Planet Terror is another zombie movie! I don't know why but Grindhouse is overrated....but it was a good movie.

...perhaps I should elaborate on my opinion on "originality".

Grindhouse is one of those movies that doesn't NEED to be original, because it's an HOMAGE to a genre. So, although I have yet to see it, I'll forgive it for recycling plot devices.

However, if a movie is NOT an homage (or a parody, for that matter) of a movie or genre, or NOT based on an existing work of fiction, than it has no excuse for a lack of originality.

First off, I'M a teen, and I don't think remakes are necessary. What's so hard about going over to the video store and renting the original? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than actually going to the theater to see a crappy remake. (Well, there ARE rare cases when the remake actually turns out decent, but that's going a little off-topic...)

And when did anyone bring up Disturbia?! (which I might see, but I can wait until it comes to a cheaper theater...or to a video store...or on On Demand.)

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by ArtGirl138

And you stilled ignored my comment on Death Proof. I hear tons people who liked Planet Terror more than Death Proof. Death proof is a serial killer with a car! There's nothing original about that! Planet Terror is another zombie movie! I don't know why but Grindhouse is overrated....but it was a good movie.

...perhaps I should elaborate on my opinion on "originality".

Grindhouse is one of those movies that doesn't NEED to be original, because it's an HOMAGE to a genre. So, although I have yet to see it, I'll forgive it for recycling plot devices.

However, if a movie is NOT an homage (or a parody, for that matter) of a movie or genre, or NOT based on an existing work of fiction, than it has no excuse for a lack of originality.

First off, I'M a teen, and I don't think remakes are necessary. What's so hard about going over to the video store and renting the original? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than actually going to the theater to see a crappy remake.

And when did anyone bring up Disturbia?! (which I might see, but I can wait until it comes to a cheaper theater...or to a video store...or on On Demand.)

I guess a prime example of Movies paying Homage to others Movies is The Movies coming out this week, and here they are listed below.

Next : Total Recall Minority Report

Kickin Old Skool: Breakin 1 & 2 Beat Street

The Condemned: Battle Royal Running Man

Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 9:50am
I just think remakes are neccessary. If there aren't any remakes, then what will be in theaters for people to watch?

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 11:58am

I just think remakes are neccessary. If there aren't, then what will be in theaters for people to watch?
They used to do remakes in olden times, so remakes are nothing new...

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 12:08pm

I just think remakes are neccessary. If there aren't, then what will be in theaters for people to watch?

Oh, I don't know, maybe something that HASN'T been done before? [sarcasm] Gasp! What a concept! [/sarcasm]

And you STILL didn't answer my question about Disturbia. (What, are you getting back at me for not directly answering your Death Proof question?)

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by ArtGirl138

Oh, I don't know, maybe something that HASN'T been done before? [sarcasm] Gasp! What a concept! [/sarcasm]

And you STILL didn't answer my question about Disturbia. (What, are you getting back at me for not directly answering your Death Proof question?)

what is it you wanted to know about Disturbia I have not seen it all I know is that pays Homage to The Rear Window and what was The Death Proof question.

Date Posted: April 27 2007 at 12:50am

Well, moviewizguy brought up Disturbia for no reason at all, and I wanted to know what it had to do with anything.

And his Death Proof question is on the previous page.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:32am
...oh, I don't know. I was just trying to prove there are some good remakes out there.

Date Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:39am

I'll just copy and paste my post on Date Movie since no one is there..:

Ok, I really do not mean I hate movie people like and love what they hate, it was an expression....kinda, like you know...ANYWAY, there are some movies people just over exaggerate what they really are. Well, maybe one reason I don't like some good movies is because I set a high expectation for them, like Reservoir Dogs, which I thought was decent but no where being close to a great film. And reasons why I recommend almost every movie I watch is that I have no expectations for movies I watch, except some I know will be good like Harry Potter. I put the expectations low on Date Movie, Little Man, etc... because people hated it so much so I decided to go with their opinions to watch the movie and you know what? They are so exaggerating almost everythnig about it that it's not even funny!

Date Posted: April 27 2007 at 10:33am

Well, if you disagree with these so much, why don't YOU actually suggest nominees for the Razzies? That is one of the reasons we're here, you know...

(Come to think of it...did you just come here to disagree with the Razzie picks?)

...oh, I don't know. I was just trying to prove there are some good remakes out there.

Disturbia, as tomsmobr pointed out, is paying homage to Rear Window (which is an excellent movie - go rent it). But it's not a remake.

If you want an example of a good remake, why not bring up The Italian Job or Ocean's Eleven?

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2007 at 2:54pm
I already know it's an "homage"...

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2007 at 2:39am
Then why did you call it a remake?

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2007 at 11:49am
I don't know.

Date Posted: April 28 2007 at 11:53am

...and you thought MY reasoning for calling House of Wax "unoriginal" was lame.

Oh, and back on the topic of The Reaping, I recently heard someone call it the best COMEDY they'd seen this year.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2007 at 1:58am
Wow, that discussion was closed really fast.

Date Posted: April 29 2007 at 2:29am

Yeah, well, we were getting REALLY off topic.

Unless you want to continue this debate...

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2007 at 8:17am
That was my bad too, for bringing up Magnolia.

Date Posted: June 03 2007 at 10:51am

SPOILER: The 10 plagues from the Bible are: river and water sources turn to blood (Exodus 7:14-25), amphibians (commonly believed to be frogs)(Exodus 7:26-8:11), Gnats (or lice)(Exodus 8:12-15), Wild Beasts (Exodus 8:16-28), disease on livestock (Exodus 9:1-7), unhealable boils (Exodus 9:8-12), hail mixed with fire (Exodus 9:13-35), locusts (Exodus 10:1-20), darkness (Exodus 10:21-29), death of the firstborn (Exodus 11:1-12:36). In the movie, it replaces the Gnats with Lice and puts it as the 6th, after boils and then mixes hail, Locusts, and darkness putting Locusts first then darkness and hail of fire.

Wow, hard to believe that all those types of plagues are in the Book of Exodus in the Holy Bible. All of that at the time when those plagues plagued Egypt at the time of Moses, trying to free his people from bondage.

Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 5:17pm

TRIVIA: This film portrays the city of Concepcion in Chile as a warm tropical, "third world" small town. This caused some level of rejection by the audiences from Concepcion, from people walking out of the theaters, to local crusades wanting to ban the movie! 

-------------

Posted By: find_ronnie
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 9:21am

Whether the movie is good or bad, whoever made it doesn't CARE if you think it was bad or not! You all can talk as much mess about this movie and others as you want, but didn't you pay to see it? Yeah, so while you're hating on it, they're getting paid for it. Think on that. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, many of our Voting Members are wise enough to wait 'till tripe like this comes out on video, so the proceeds to the film-makers are in the $1-$2 range, rather than the $7-$11 range. As for myself, if I do see something like THE REAPING in a theatre, I try to see it on a "bargain matinee" (or when it's in sub-runs) for the same reason -- To minimize the reward to the people who make junk like this. So maybe we're not as easily dupe-able as you think...

And on that very subject, the video release date for REAPING has been announced: It debuts on DVD October 16...

-------------

Posted By: Criss808
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 4:49am

I'd rather be "sleeping" than watching "The Reaping". Get it!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 11:13am

I was gonna see this with my mom, but she decided to go to "Premonition" instead. Considering how awful that was we problably should've gone to this...

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 1:15pm
Ok, I've seen this and I gave it a 5/10. It was bad nor wasn't it good. It was boring. Everything (with an exception of the last 25 minutes) was uninteresting. If only the whole movie could've been like the last 25 minutes...hint...hint...it has all the action.

Date Posted: September 29 2007 at 3:44pm
Wow, we actually see eye to eye. And you managed to pan a movie without defending a crap movie in the process.

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 1:44pm

I take back what I said below: Not only is "Reaping" worse than "Premonition", but it's even worse than that crocodile-themed bore-fest known as "Primeval".

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I was gonna see this with my mom, but she decided to go to "Premonition" instead. Considering how awful that was, we problably should've gone to this.

-------------

Date Posted: December 24 2007 at 1:52pm

Now that P.S. I Love You is out and being panned by critics, it definitely looks like Hilary Swank will be a Worst Actress RAZZIE nominee (for this and P.S. I Love You).

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: August 25 2012 at 2:50pm
Skip to 02:50.
[TUBE]SIfhB0H6T9M[/TUBE]
Any thoughts?
Originally posted by bruin_522

TRIVIA: This film portrays the city of Concepcion in Chile as a warm tropical, "third world" small town. This caused some level of rejection by the audiences from Concepcion, from people walking out of the theaters, to local crusades wanting to ban the movie!
Skip to 06:08 to see why, in the end, the joke's on you.
Wink

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window