Print Page | Close Window

"Comedies" Like This Make Us up-CHUCK!!

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX!
Forum Name: I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY
Forum Discription: Nominated for 8 RAZZIES® including Worst Picture
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2023
Printed Date: July 28 2014 at 4:00pm

Topic: "Comedies" Like This Make Us up-CHUCK!!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: "Comedies" Like This Make Us up-CHUCK!!
Date Posted: July 15 2007 at 4:36am

WITH ALL the THOUSANDS of UN-PRODUCED, SUPERIOR SCRIPTS FLOATING AROUND HOLLYWOOD, HOW DID THIS AWFUL PILE of CRAP GET MADE?

SIMPLE ANSWER: 7-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE (and 1999 WORST ACTOR "WINNER") http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Adam+Sandler&btnG=Search+Razzies.com&domains=razzies.com&sitesearch=razzies.com - . NOBODY in the BIZ HAS the BALLS to SAY NO to THIS MORON, WHOSE MOVIES (SOMETIMES) MAKE MONEY.

AND WHEN MONEY IS ALL IT'S ABOUT, THIS IS the KIND of GARBAGE YOU GET...  

PLEASE, GOD, TELL US WE WON'T HAVE to SEE THESE 

TWO GET IT ON!  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: July 15 2007 at 10:08am
I've seen this trailer, as well as the TV ads for this movie, and no doubt about it, this film looks pretty dumb. Kevin James was terrific in HITCH, and now, I don't know why he chose to do this movie with Adam Sandler. However, if I have to pick any favorite movie Adam Sandler ever did, it would be between Spanglish or Punch Drunk Love. Those two films were pretty good films he's ever done so far. With Punch Drunk Love, it shows that Sandler can act well in a drama film. Not to mention it was liked by 81% of the critics on RT. Spanglish was able to have Sandler finally act a lot better in a comedy. Not a lot of critics liked it, but he still put on a pretty good performance.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: July 15 2007 at 12:47pm
He certainly did prove there he can do quite well if he chooses.  Apparently, though, he must feel that he has that lowbrow (and I mean LOWbrow in this case it's scraping the ground) image to uphold in order to keep the income flowing in, and thus takes these things instead more often.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: July 15 2007 at 3:52pm
This looks good. lol

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: July 15 2007 at 5:46pm

This has the same feel as Blades of Glory.  I wonder if Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell are (forgive me, Fogelberg and Weissman) twin sons from different mothers? . . .

Date Posted: July 16 2007 at 1:24am
It doesn't look as much like Blades of Glory as Blades of Glory looks too much like Talladega Nights and Anchorman.

-------------

Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: July 16 2007 at 3:47pm

You don't mind if I ask you a couple questions, moviewizguy, do you? Is there one Adam Sandler movie that you though was really disappointing? And was there one that you though looked Berry Bad but also Berry funny?

I can name one Sandler movie I was disappointed with: BIG DADDY, even though there were some funny parts in there, it still was extremely disappointing to me. As for my answer to my second question, it would be ANGER MANAGEMENT: It really looked Berry Bad, but with Jack Nicholson, it also looked Berry funny...

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 2:42am

The major problem with Sandler's films that I find is that they can't come up with a decent ending for them most of the time.  Only the conclusions to Little Nicky and 50 First Dates have been truly satisfying for me.  As for the others: 

-his sports films suffer from the usual formula constraints of the genre (although he did experiment with it somewhat in Happy Gilmore and does deserve credit for that) 

-Big Daddy was too out of place; I think what they chose to end with should really have happened more in the middle of the picture, where he could afford to have the spector of losing the child hang over him and make him believably grow.  Here, everything seems rushed, like the character gets a free break 

-after having been decent for the first hour, Mr. Deeds completely fell apart in the third act, with no one behaving believably (and now that I completely relate John Turturro as Monk's brother, it's hard to see him in any other role anyway).  And come on, you don't just drop Allan Covert's character from the face of the earth with 30 minutes to go.  It would have been satisfying had we seen him get his comeuppance for his crimes (then again maybe it was shot but they decided it had to go for whatever reason) 

-the end message of Anger Management was just completely wrong from a moral standpoint, that you should be free to violate a person's civil rights to have them prove themselves to you.  Perhaps a more fitting ending would have been a darker one, where he does let all the anger out, first breaking his girlfriend's neck, then hunting Nicholson down and shooting him repeatedly (perhaps a catch line before he pulls the trigger like, "I want to thank you for helping me, so here's my thanks."  BANG), something that says, careful what you wish for. 

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 11:18am

I have to say in all honesty that the comic appeal of Adam Sandler completely escapes me. I'd rather watch a Stallone flick...pick one....than any movie Sandler has ever made.

A thought occurs to me though. I feel much the same way about Jim Carrey, but I did get some degree of pleasure in the realization that no matter how bad of a Batman Val Kilmer was, at least we'd get to see him beat the crap out of Carrey. Do you suppose Sandler can get himself cast as a Batman villian? Then at least I could enjoy ONE of his movies.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 12:52pm

Where is #1 Sly Fan when you need him? I would love to hear his response, Saturnwatcher, to the one person you can't stand even more than Sylvester Stallone.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I have to say in all honesty that the comic appeal of Adam Sandler completely escapes me. I'd rather watch a Stallone flick...pick one....than any movie Sandler has ever made.

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:38am
Actually, the list is somewhat longer....but not too many fervent Mel Gibson fans have shown up to be tormented.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:36am

I can't stand Adam Sandler! He is an unfunny a$#hole.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:44am
..and gee, isn't he getting FAT.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:46am
Well, it will be a real tossup next year for worst performance: Eddie Murphy for Norbit or Adam Sandler for this piece of s%$t.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 4:16am
I now pronounce you a serious Razzie Contender! This morning's Rotten Tomatoes numbers: 14% and 11% from the cream of the crop.

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 10:08am

You forgot to include Robin Williams for License to Wed! 

Also, it might have been humorous if the movie's tagline was "This movie is gay!  Well, not really...just acting that way." Because it is.

Originally posted by moorlock2003

Well, it will be a real tossup next year for worst performance: Eddie Murphy for Norbit or Adam Sandler for this piece of s%$t.

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 12:32pm
What ya want to bet that this probably being the worst movie of Adam Sandler's career? And that it will still make at least $100 million! You gotta love Adam, he cranks  out the Sh!+, and still makes a ton of money.

-------------

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:08pm

Yeah, there's no accounting for taste.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Posted By: Brierfox
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 6:44am

I have seen two trailers for this movie in addition to an interview on the "Jon Stewart Show". Sandler and Stewart talked about their facial hair, but Sandler never commented on why he did this movie (never mind any real social commentary).  He had probably already dismissed the movie from his mind, as he has done with the other stinkers he's done in the past.
It will not be funny, because there really is nothing funny about two guys pretending to be gay to receive Firemen's "family" compensation.
Neither one seemed to be pretending that they were actually in need of money, nor did they seem very good at pretending to be gay.
I bet a lot of gay rights organizations will be screaming at the stereotypes and dumb jokes...and the Firemen of this country will really be offended!  Real Firemen have real problems with just compensation, especially gay firemen...

That the serious issue of "partner rights" and just Firemen's compensation should be made fun of, simply goes beyond the pale.
The movie looks to be another dumb Sandler production that will make a profit in the first two weeks and then fade into obscurity.  I personally have never liked the characters Sandler plays. He always seems to play a lovable, immature, oaf who just doesn't get it.  That a woman would fall for his stupid, bad boy image is the fault of the writers, who seem to think that real women actually love this kind of loser.

-------------
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:21am

Ah, crap!  upChuck debuted at #1 with $34.5 million, and may be well on pace to reach $100 million!  What will happen if Sandler stars in Baby Geniuses 3?  Will it be a major success, and lead to a Baby Geniuses 4???

I was painting my shed for the last few days...guess I could have invited moviegoers to save their money and watch my paint dry instead...

Originally posted by ITbeast

What ya want to bet that this probably being the worst movie of Adam Sandler's career? And that it will still make at least $100 million! You gotta love Adam, he cranks  out the Sh!+, and still makes a ton of money.

-------------

Posted By: ArtGirl138
Date Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:45am

This piece of  debuted at #1?!

For crying out - there's better movies out there! I, for one, saw Hairspray on Friday. THAT should've been #1! That, or Harry Potter 5 (which is also quite good). Seriously, WTF is up with the moviegoing public?!

I mean, seriously, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have seen what clips have made it into trailers and various TV shows, and NOTHING made me laugh. Why would I wanna watch 110 minutes' worth of that crap?

-------------
Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek

Date Posted: July 23 2007 at 3:39pm

Two things that hurt "Harry Potter 5": 

1) The release of the last Potter book Saturday morning at 12:01am, and...

2) Hard as it may be to believe, Mr. Sandler does have a fan base (This of course is why we currently have boneheads in the White House -- Because these same people who watch his movies make political decisions on our behalf).

-------------

Words to live by:

Posted By: Criss808
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 11:11pm

First Off, What the Hell do people find appealing about Adam Sandler? He's been in maybe two or three good movies, but he's almost always in really unfunny movies that I think he himself knows aren't funny. He's only in them for the money. Kevin James is pretty hilarious, but I wish he'd star in better comedies...and this definitlely is not one!

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 9:57am
Well, some of his good films are Click, Spanglish, and 50 First Dates.

Posted By: dipitlow555
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 10:00am
I think Jessica Biel should get nominated for this and NEXT.

Posted By: Brierfox
Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 11:16am
I can't think of any Sandler movie that would be considered "good" or even "pretty good".
The best thing Sandler ever did was live, on stage as a stand-up comic.
That his movie raked in the bucks isn't surprising, because his fans keep hoping to see a really funny movie by him.  Then when word gets out that his latest isn't "it", the bucks drop off and the movie gets shipped out on DVD.

-------------
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"

Posted By: dipitlow555
Date Posted: July 31 2007 at 5:10am
I can't believe people would rather see Adam Sandler and Kevin James  doing the honky-dory instead of going to see HAIRSPRAY!!!!!

Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 3:00pm

I can't believe people in Hollywood would actually want to make a movie like this.

Then again, I can believe it!   

-------------

Posted By: ZookGuy
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 9:10am

Well you have to admit, The Truman Show was a good movie...

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

A thought occurs to me though. I feel much the same way about Jim Carrey, but I did get some degree of pleasure in the realization that no matter how bad of a Batman Val Kilmer was, at least we'd get to see him beat the crap out of Carrey.

-------------

Posted By: #1-Film Freak!!
Date Posted: August 25 2007 at 4:29am
God save us all: This awful, intolerant, UN-funny movie has now topped $112 million at the US/Canada box office, and now "ranks" among B.O. Mojo's top 20 box office "hits" of 2007...

-------------
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!

Date Posted: August 25 2007 at 3:03pm
Well, can we be sure that's absolutely accurate?  With some films, I wouldn't be surprised if accounting inflates the earnings after the fact, to make it look like they did better than they actually did... 

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2007 at 12:04pm
Why is Adam Sandler still in the movies?

Posted By: #1-Film Freak!!
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 4:46am

...And if he keeps making movies as horrible as "Chuck & Larry" (which I just saw on DVD, God help me!) I'd like to ask: WHY is Adam Sandler allowed to LIVE????? 

-------------
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!

Posted By: tomsmobr
Date Posted: December 31 2007 at 11:08am
I saw that I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY was on The Worst Rip & Remake Catagory what was it a ripoff or remake of.

Posted By: Nadir007
Date Posted: January 22 2008 at 5:03am

Originally posted by moorlock2003

..and gee, isn't he getting FAT.

Weight is really the least of his problems. I mean, I don't care if someone has three arms and horn. If they're funny, I'll watch them. When I'm dumb or unlucky enough to see a Sandler film, I feel I want a refund for brain neurons wasted being able to remember it and the associated recurrent emotional pain.

I don't believe how quickly this one went to DVD: is it just me? Was it about a month from theatre release?

Adam was actually conspicuously good in Punch Drunk, so I think the issue is (as originally suggested) his ability to invoke awful scripts and be the medium through which they are produced (instead of shredded).

Perhaps there should be a Razzie category for Learning Least From Horrible Mistakes Made In One's Own Career (...or Most Tragic Career?).

-------------
"So this is like a cross between a movie and a piece of lint?" Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 2:38pm
Adam Sandler deserve the nom..He made chuckle a few times,but still.Durin'the dramatic moments,he was awful.

Rob Schnieder's asian portrayal did seem kind'a racist.

Not sure'bout Kevin James and Jessica Biel,although bein'a good actor also consists of choosin'good movies,and since she chose 2 bad movies,she kind'a deserve it.

You know how if you write a movie with someone,in the credits they use the "&" symbol,and if you write separately they use the word "And"?Well,in tons of Sandler movies,some script writer from Happy Madison re-writes a script to fit into a Sandler movie.That's why this movie was written by Barry Fanaro and Oscar winners Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor.

All together,the movie was alright,although not Happy Madison's best.A lot of critics said it tried to be gay-friendly but ended up bein'offensive.Yet,the GLAAD said the opposite.
Originally posted by tomsmobr

I saw that I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY was on The Worst Rip & Remake Catagory.
No,it wasn't.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:46am
I wrote something about this(not a review):
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/812172/blogs/view.php?id=665738 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/812172/blogs/view.php?id=665738

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2010 at 1:37pm
I gave this 4/10. 

Adam was alright when he was trying to be funny, but awful when trying to be dramatic, while with Kevin it was the other way around. 

This was the perfect example of the magic in movies: Adam isn't ugly, but his face isn't very Adonis-like. In order to play the macho playboy, he needed to look more attractive, so...they...told...him...to...chew gum(?!?)

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 10:45am
I made a list of the worst performances of all times:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/812172/blogs/?id=674392

Adam Sanlder is in it.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window