Print Page | Close Window

The Doctor Is...Dying of Shame!

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX!
Forum Name: DR. SUESS' HORTON HIRES A HO
Forum Discription: The Widow Suess Makes a Ho Lotta Bux...by Licensing Her Late Husband's Work 2-B...Yet Another Movie which Sux?!?!?
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2568
Printed Date: September 02 2014 at 12:18am

Topic: The Doctor Is...Dying of Shame!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: The Doctor Is...Dying of Shame!
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 1:04am

ONE BOMB, TWO BOMBS, THREE BOMBS, FOUR -- PLEASE DON'T MAKE THESE ANYMORE!!

AFTER the DEBACLES of the http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170016/ - GRINCH and http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=353&PN=1 - CAT-in-the-HAT MOVIES, YOU MIGHT THINK the SURVIVORS of DR. SUESS WOULD BE HAPPY with the MULTI-MILLIONS THEY'VE ALREADY HAULED IN, and SHOW the LATE AUTHOR a MODICUM of RESPECT by, I DON'T KNOW, MAYBE VOWING to NEVER AGAIN LET HIS WORK BE the BASIS of a MOVIE SO MERCENARY IT WINDS UP BEING CRAPPY MEAL TOYS at a FAST FOOD CHAIN...

BUT THEN, YOU'D BE WRONG! HOLLYWOOD IS ALL ABOUT MONEY, and the FAMILY DIDN'T SEEM to CARE HOW TRULY HORRID the PREVIOUS SUESS MOVIES WERE. SO NOW WE HAVE http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=264 - HORTON HIRES A HO -- ANOTHER 90- MINUTE CARTOON "INSPIRED" by a BOOK THAT TAKES ALL of 9-MINUTES to READ.

IF YOU'RE a FAN of THE LATE, GREAT DOCTOR -- OR JUST SOMEONE WHOOZ SICK-and-TIRED of SEEING MEDIOCRE MOVIES BEING MADE OUT of GREAT CHILDREN's BOOKS -- FEEL FREE to VENT YER LORAX BELOW...

MAYOR of WHO-VILLE: "So, exactly how many RPMs is Dr. Suess doing in his grave over this movie supposedly based on his work??"

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: WaterBoySucks
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 1:49am

I am actually going to see this one when it opens. 

I was surprisingly entertained by "How the Grinch Stole..." and the "Cat in the Hat" was not so bad (could have been way better) but it was mildly entertaining.

I am gonna go on record here and say "Horton Hires...." is gonna do really really well at the box office

P.S> Maybe I can appreciate the movies because the few Seuss' books I've read, I remember them leaving my brain exhausted with a mildly throbbing headache  *gasps* "Blasphemy"

-------------

Posted By: Movie Man
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:13am

WHATTTTT???????? I'm surprised that this is on there. I actually heard good things about it (some said they finally did something right, that Dr. Seuss films shoul've been animated all along.)

You're considering this over crap like NEVER BACK DOWN and COLLEGE ROAD TRIP????!!!! Congratulations, only a retard would consider nominating it.

Oh, and for the record, I was a BIG fan of the Jim Carrey "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" version.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You're a "fan" of the hideous, treacly-sweet Jim Carrey GRINCH movie...and I'm the retard?!?!?!?!

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:14am
When this film opens this Friday, I'm going to see it too...

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 8:58am

...and all of the Whos and Whoettes in Whoville,

kicked Jim Carrey's @ss 'til they all had their fill.

Oh, sorry, I was waxing poetic. Count me among those who will see this film with hope of being entertained, but the disasters already unleashed upon us by Cat in the Hat and How the Grinch Stole Christmas leaves me with a measure of skepticism. Those were two dreadful films... end of discussion. So let's hope that the animated format will play more in tune with the original story.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: tomsmobr
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 2:15pm

Horton is at 80% on The Tomato Meter. If I had to pick for Worst Movie Of The Weak, it would be Never Back Down...

-------------

Posted By: moat
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 6:08pm
I doubt this will be as bad as THE CAT IN THE HAT, and the animation looks good, but I'm not very optimistic about the total package. Aside from being based on material without enough content to sustain a feature-length running time, the screenplay is a piece of work done by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202425/ - Ken Daurio and http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0666791/ - Cinco Paul whose previous collaborations include COLLEGE ROAD TRIP, THE SANTA CLAUSE 2, and BUBBLE BOY. The producers are also the same group who brought us ROBOTS and the ICE AGE sequel, which weren't awful, but not exactly good either.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 8:54am
I liked The Cat in the Hat. Does it upset people so much that there were so many scenes in that movie that were inappropriate for children? That's the reason why I loved that film. A very funny, and some-what raunchy film disguised as a children's film. ANYWHO, getting back on topic, this looks good.

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: March 12 2008 at 10:36am

We weren't upset by "inappropriate scenes" -- we were upset by sheer God-awfulness of "Cat In The Hat." It was just so painful!

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since this Forum seems to have veered off course into a discussion of CAT IN  THE HAT, I'll take this opportunity to recall one of my all-time favorite RAZZIE-Movie-Going memories: I attended an opening day matinee of CAT with my then 7-year-old son. About an hour into the movie, an entire row of teen-agers sitting in front of us with cell phones acted out Hollywood's Ultimate Word-of-Mouth Nightmare: They each began randomly calling everyone they knew, to tell them how much they thought CAT "blew," and warn them all not to bother seeing it!  

I think it's safe to assume moviewizguy wasn't in the audience that day...

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: March 12 2008 at 1:43pm

Cat in the Hat fell flat.  I never watched it, nor do I ever intend to.

The Grinch: I watched it and I liked it...but I believe it was Jim Carrey as the green guy that saved this film from being a disaster.

As for Horton: I predict it will be decent.  It stars Jim Carrey and it sticks to CGI rather than live action, which I believe is a wise choice.

As for the Tomatometers: Cat in Scat had 12%, Grinch had 52%, and Horton has 73% (which could still drop).  Meanwhile, Doomsday is... http://io9.com/366185/nobody-can-foresee-doomsday - not being screened for critics .

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 2:40am
I admit, while I liked the Grinch, I hated The Cat in the Hat. (I heard Eddie Murphy was supposed to be the Grinch, which would've REALLY KILLED the movie)

I'm still mad at HeadRazz for including this movie on the list.

(For the record, I hope the next movie adaptation is "The Sneetches" - with the stars upon 'thars - and in animated form)

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 4:37am

RAZZ, I hate to say you are maybe way off with this one. It has a 81% approval rating at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/horton_hears_a_who/ - RT  at this time and does not seem to be slowing down. I completely agree with your feeling of The Cat in The Hat, that was completely God awful and walked away feeling like I had been robbed that day, However I absolutely loved The Grinch (witch I know you will disagree)and thought it was one of Jim Carrey's best work (Probably the last best work that he did in fact). So I will most likely be taking my kids to go see this one for sure.

I would seriously change the "Worst Movie of the Weak" to either "Doomsday" or "The Best of the Best", those look like prime Razzie contenders to me, at least more than "Horton hears a Who".

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 5:38am
I think I got the ball rolling on this one, HeadRazz. As one character put it in The Breakfast Club", "You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns."

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 6:56am
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since this Forum seems to have veered off course into a discussion of CAT IN  THE HAT, I'll take this opportunity to recall one of my all-time favorite RAZZIE-Movie-Going memories: I attended an opening day matinee of CAT with my then 7-year-old son. About an hour into the movie, an entire row of teen-agers sitting in front of us with cell phones acted out Hollywood's Ultimate Word-of-Mouth Nightmare: They each began randomly calling everyone they knew, to tell them how much they thought CAT "blew," and warn them all not to bother seeing it!  

I think it's safe to assume moviewizguy wasn't in the audience that day...

Remember, This is a man who thinks that AVP was a modern "Classic" and we were to hard on "I knew who killed me".

-------------

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 9:53am

Well, let's tally up the score.

Horton stands a chance at being pretty good, and most of us are looking forward to it.

While most of the folks here enjoyed either Cat or Grinch, Head Razz and I stand alone hating both. John, I think we are going to need a bigger boat.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 10:58am

Actually Saturnwatcher the score stands thus...

That Everybody but moviewizguy, hated the Cat in the Hat (But then again this is no surprise that moviewizguy thought it was misunderstood by the general movie populace in general). Myself, Movieman, Berrynoia, and moviewizguy
( again just because moviewizguy likes it does not really play into the factor because moviewizguy probably believes that ED Wood was the best director since Steven Spielberg) either liked or loved The Grinch. Finally You and John Hated both, and that is the way it is!

-------------

Words to live by:

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry On Movie Mans opinion of "Worst New of Movie of the Weak": You're a "fan" of the hideous, treacly-sweet Jim Carrey GRINCH movie...and I'm the retard?!?!?!?!  

Look at the bright side, at least you weren't called out for being a certain part of your Male Anatomy this time.

-------------

Words to live by:

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 11:58am
When did I ever say AVP was a classic? Oh wait, I didn't.

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 1:22pm
I hated both "Grinch" and "Cat", but "Grinch" wasn't as unwatchable as "Cat".

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence

Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 5:52pm

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I hated both "Grinch" and "Cat", but "Grinch" wasn't as unwatchable as "Cat".

Well at least Saturnwatcher and Head RAZZberry will not feel so alone in the United Hate department anymore!

-------------

Words to live by:

Posted By: phe_de
Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 9:14pm
Horton Hears a Who is currently at 82% at Rotten Tomatoes. Doesn't look like Razzie material to me.

I've also noticed that unlike with previous "Worst new movie" forums, there's no thread linking to the R.T.page.

Someone else already posted the link; but I'll do it again.
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/horton_hears_a_who/ - R.T.Reviews of Horton Hears a Who

Posted By: whennow
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 1:24am
I'm very disappointed this is the worst new movie of the week. You  had Doomsday. I think Razzie might be changing.

Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 1:54am

In defense of Head Razz's nomination of this movie, it should be noted that despite claims to the contrary (not here), prescience has never been demonstrated. Cat in the Hat and Grinch were unbearable movies. There was every reason to believe that this one could very well follow the same path. At the very least, entertaining discussions invariably ensue.

Typically, the bricks usually sink to the bottom and we end up recognizing truly deserving efforts, although some crap like Strange Wilderness might slip by for awhile. I have every confidence that when it comes out on DVD and the membership doesn't have to cough up full admission, it'll gain its spot in our limelight.

-------------

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 3:29am
I sort of agree with everyone here. This movie's actually made by the creators of Ice Age, and the trailers show that most of this looks really funny and entertaining. Agreed, the first Dr. Seuss films were kinda lame, but they weren't unwatchable. You guys kinda get melodramatic at times. I will say that Cat in the Hat was WAY too self-conscious (too many plugs for Universal Studios, Paris Hilton, the Cat having the hots for Kelly Preston, etc.).

At least they got some capable filmmakers here, and a solid cast to sell the material, and it's rated G. So no sexual innuendo. I'm gonna see it, so f**k the whole lot of you who think I'm an asshole for seeing it.

And yeah, College Road Trip needs a nod. Anyone who thinks Brenda Song (another in Disney's line of actresses that make you wanna bash your head in) should be shoved down our throats should go masturbate to her pictures.

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 3:55am
Please tell me why this movie still being talked about when we got such classic films such as Never Back Down and Doomsday coming out today?

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 4:59am
Oh, and Horton has received the status of "Certified Fresh" at RT.

-------------

Posted By: tomsmobr
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 5:07am
I saw that Never Back Down was at 27%

Posted By: moat
Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 10:50am
I thought THE GRINCH was pretty lame, and despite the critical support I'm still pessimistic about this feature.

Date Posted: March 14 2008 at 1:14pm
The Grinch was a good movie. It was harmless. It wasn't meant to win any Oscars. I remebered it when watching it as a kid and loved it. Apparantly, adults seem to disregard it as absolute trash. It was meant for family entertainment but it managed to tear families apart?

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 1:45am

Originally posted by RoaddogXVIII

At least they got some capable filmmakers here, and a solid cast to sell the material, and it's rated G. So no sexual innuendo. I'm gonna see it, so f**k the whole lot of you who think I'm an asshole for seeing it.

That would be no one here. I'll take it one step further and note that I saw it and enjoyed it. If you want to accuse us of excessive melodrama, it might be wise to temper comments like the one above.

Originally posted by Mayhem5185

Please tell me why this movie still being talked about when we got such classic films such as Never Back Down and Doomsday coming out today?

We've covered that.

-------------

Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 6:17pm
Just saw "Horton" with both my kids and loved it! A real surprise for some (You know who you are!) but it really does deserve a decent break, almost makes you want to forgive hollywood for the "Cat in the Hat" (We'll almost). This movie is probably the closest to sticking with the Dr. Suess source material.

-------------

Words to live by:

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 1:47am
I also saw the movie. Completely faithul to the original source material it was adapted from. I challend Head‰azz to see this movie and change his mind about putting this on the board (this was the worst call than the time the 80% "Star Wars: Episode III" made the list, or "Batman Begins" was nominated with Katie Holmes. I''ll never forgive him for those.)

I also saw "Funny Games" this weekend and it was also good.

Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 10:39am
I beg to differ. I didn't like Funny Games (the original). It was a pointless, stupid, and so mean-spirited. Hankee's intentions are good but the movie isn't good.

Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 11:31am
They brought Jim Carrey, who did the Grinch in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, which I found funny but still hated it, for the voice of the elephant. Now The Cat in the Hat was the one that was the one to hate the most by how god-awful it was.

Posted By: hastymanic
Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 4:58am
I'm inclined to agree with the Razzie staff. Horton sucked! It was tedious, plotless, lifeless, boring, and unfunny. The animation was fantastic as expected, but how did this Seuss story sell the makers on a film adaptation? Uggg!

-------------
Hasty Manic
I am still looking for a movie worse than 'Manos: The Hands of Fate.' Alas, I remain ever hopeful!

Date Posted: April 27 2008 at 8:16am
Geez. Am I the only one who still thinks this is the WORST decision for Razzie consideration?

My grade for the movie: A- (only thing I would've changed is the ending)

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 9:25am
If this gets a Razzie nomination, it would be the equivalent of Sly Stallone losing one of his Razzie "wins".

Posted By: Headbanger14
Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:01am
I thought this movie was good. It was much better than most of the other crap that had just come out around the time. The animation was good, but some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy. But still, it was a good movie, and shouldn't get a Razzie.

-------------

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: May 24 2008 at 2:02am

I still don't get how this is still here. It has a 7.5 on Imdb and a 78% approval rating on RT. It will obviously sink as a Razzie contender if no one votes for it, so quit your bashing. It was a hell of a lot better than the Never Back Down movie!!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While the response to HORTON was not nearly as negative as it was to the previous Suess movies, once a subject is posted on this Forum, we leave it up for all to read (unless it's someone trying to use our Forum for "free advertising"). Although WHO certainly doesn't look like a likely RAZZIE® contender at this point, if we had deleted this discussion, movieman would not have been given the opportunity to vent at us...

Now does everyone feel better?? 

-------------

Posted By: myworksucks
Date Posted: June 30 2008 at 4:10am
I actually liked this movie. Jim Carrey finally beats Mike Meyers and his over-inflated ego.

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: August 07 2010 at 8:46pm
I gave this 50%. I'm glad it was faithful to the book, unlike THE GRINCH(60%)and THE CAT IN THE HAT(40%). However, those 2 movies were both funnier.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Vits

I gave this 50%. I'm glad it was faithful to the book, unlike THE GRINCH(60%)and THE CAT IN THE HAT(40%). However, those 2 movies were both funnier.
Ah, yeah, sure, to each his own.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Print Page | Close Window