Print Page | Close Window

BUT IS IT SUPPOSED to be THIS STUPID?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIEŽ NOMINEES
Forum Name: SPEED RACER
Forum Discription: Nominated for WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2693
Printed Date: April 23 2014 at 9:59pm

Topic: BUT IS IT SUPPOSED to be THIS STUPID?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: BUT IS IT SUPPOSED to be THIS STUPID?!?!?
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:55am

SURE, WE ALL LOVED http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=279&PN=1 - WHEN WE WERE KIDS...LOVED LAUGHING AT IT for ITS BLATANTLY LAME DIALOGUE, ANIMATION, CHARACTERS and SITUATIONS, THAT IS.

BUT WHEN YOU DECIDE to MAKE a $100 MILLION REMAKE of THIS MATERIAL, THAT FINE LINE BETWEEN CLEARLY BEING DOOFY on PURPOSE and JUST COMING OFF as DOOFY by ACCIDENT GETS BLURRY.  AND WHEN the MOVIE HAS an OVERALL LOOK and COLOR SCHEME LIKE THIS ONE, the AUDIENCE's EYES CAN GET BLEARY. MOST of the  http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2692&PN=1 - ARE WAXING WEARY.  AND ITS INVESTORS?? WE'D GUESS THEY'RE LEARY...OF EVER MAKING BACK THEIR INVESTMENT!  

AND NOW, WITHOUT FURTHER QUERY...RAZZIE FORUM MEMBERS, START YOUR ENGINES and HAVE a GO (AT) SPEED RACER, GO (AT) SPEED RACER, GO!!  

SARANDON: "Well, yes, you might say I did get off 

Scott-free for MR. WOODCOCK last year...But maybe 

this year, I won't be So Berry Lucky!"  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Nasty Man
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:20pm

I'm confused by the reaction to this one -- From the trailer and TV spots, I figured it was intentionally stupid. Are the critics over-looking this intent, or is the movie really just a total piece of crap??

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Apparently it's as much the look and sound of this film as any intended doofiness that's turning off critics and audiences at early screenings: Word is that it's a headache-inducing kaleidoscope of color, sound and motion that has a similar effect to being tossed around in a dryer with a load of overly colorful beach towels for two hours and fiteen minutes...

-------------
Everything SUX!

Posted By: JoBloMovieGoer
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:24pm

I could've told you the minute this one was green-lighted that it would end up on this Forum.

Interesting that you gize started a discussion of "What Happens in Vegas" (which is getting almost shockingly good reviews) several daze before starting this discussion of "Speed Racer."

When it comes time to announce the Razzie nominees for 2008, I expect to be chanting: "Go, Speed Racer, GO!" 

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:43pm
I'm going to see this on IMAX! Ughfgs h aha!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I'M SO HYPED!!!! *orgasm*

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 3:03pm

Strike one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO2jcwgIi8o - The scene in the trailer where one of the race cars hits a mountain, http://www.speedracer.com/main.html - probably referencing the two-episode cartoon "The Most Dangerous Race" , looks soooo hokey. 

Strike two:  http://newsblaze.com/story/20080506055846tsop.nb/newsblaze/ENTERTAI/Entertainment.html - Praire Miller gave it a good review . 

Strike three:  What can you say http://www.observer.com/2008/cough-ptooey-frantic-speed-racer-spews-toxic-fumes - when longtime critic Rex Reed says : "I can sit through just about anything, but I draw the line at two hours and 15 minutes of fuchsia vomit." 

I'm still going to watch it because I grew up with it, but I'll probably hate myself for wasting the time and money. 

And I wouldn't be comparing the bad reviews for Speed Racer to the bad reviews for What Happens in Vegas just yet.  After all, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008760-what_happens_in_vegas/ - only 11 critics have weighed in on WHIV as of the time of this post, among whom was http://newsblaze.com/story/20080507080601tsop.nb/newsblaze/ENTERTAI/Entertainment.html - Prairie Miller, who gave it a good review, too . 

Posted By: moat
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:39pm
I always thought the title was redundant.

That came after I thought it was a pun on "drug runner."

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: May 08 2008 at 1:32am
Judging by the physics at work on these races courses, combined with the afformentioned color overloads, one can guess Andy and Larry were deep inside a hallucinatory Matrix of their own when they wrote this.  Since viewer response seems lackluster, we may indeed soon hear calls of "Go, Speed Racer, go!" all right--GO AWAY, that is! 

-------------

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: May 08 2008 at 4:27am
I grew up on this cartoon as well, however after seeing the previews for this I just did not get the urge to "GO" into my wallet and pay the $10 to see this. I think the Wachowski Siblings (Can't say Brothers anymore since one of them is now a converted female) made a major mistake trying to bring the "Japanese Anime" feeling into the movie and did not go for a more contemporary look instead.

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:22am
Why are they releasing such bad movies this year? I love going to the movies, but I've spent some long stretches not bothering because some of the movies look so lousy. Here is a list of some examples:

* 88 Minutes (I thought it was gonna be Crank. Now, it's Junk)
* 10,000 B.C. (Roland Emmerich joins Tony Scott in the has-been catergory)
* 27 Dresses (Katherine Hiegl, from what I heard, saves this film. But she needs a better agent)
* College Road Trip (Martin Lawrence tap-dances in Disney Land with Raven-Symone and Brenda Song. Already I'm passing. From what I heard, it was bearing the National Lampoon logo)
* Deception (Who knew McGregor and Jackman would stoop so low. Oh yeah, Hugh did Van Helsing!)
* Doomsday (I was looking forward to this film. But then the negative word pushed me back. Ah, at least there was Horton Hears a Who)
* Drillbit Taylor (Not even Judd Apatow or Seth Rogen could've been involved with this borefest)
* The Eye (See One Missed Call and Shutter)
* First Sunday (Someone's already copycatting Tyler Perry)
* Fool's Gold (Too solid actors and a good premise wasted)
* Hottie and the Nottie (No love for Paris Hilton)
* In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (Uwe Boll is not only an awful director, he's an arrogant one. He's challenging naysayers to boxing matches)
* Jumper (Hayden Christensen is James Franco, without saving graces)
* Mad Money (Don't know, don't care. Much like TomKat)
* Made of Honor (Another bad romantic comedy that disappeared from the face of the earth... I think)
* Meet the Browns (More TP junk. I'm surprised no one considers his films for Razzie nods. Oh, that's right, it's the Christian undertones. And it "means well") 
* Meet the Spartans (Do I need to explain?)
* Never Back Down (Another bad drama for idiotic and impressionable teens)
* One Missed Call (So far, the worst J-horror remake of the year)
* Over Her Dead Body (Not even Paul Rudd could save Mrs. Parker's vanity project)
* Prom Night (Not a J-Horror film, but it is a bad remake of a 70's slasher with super-hot teenagers, and Idris Elba phoning it in)
* Semi-Pro (A potentially good sports spoof ruined by a leaden pace and an inflated ego. Here's hoping Will does better in Step Brothers, least he's got Adam McKay and Judd Apatow backing him up)
* Shutter (See One Missed Call)
* Step Up 2 the Streets (Another dance film/teen angst film)
* Street Kings (First lousy films centered around the war, and now we have a cartoonish crime drama? I heard Forest Whitaker was really bad) 
* Witless Protection (That film disappeared after a week. Need I say more?)

Now, let's look into the future: 

* Ace Ventura 3 (Dumb and Dumberer, Son of the Mask, Evan Almighty, and this?)
* Bedtime Stories (So, let me get this straight. Adam Sandler has teamed up with Adam Shankman for a family fantasy comedy? Eww! I see shades of Click coming around, complete with melodrama!)
* Beverly Hills Chihuaua (sp.? Ah, who cares. Scooby-Doo director takes on dogs...again)
* Big Stan (I do have love for Rob Schneider, but this film looks like unfunny deleted scenes from Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo)
* Bolt (I originally looked forward to this, but then I heard Miley Cyrus is in it, and believe me, I hate that overexposed, no-talent excuse of a pop star)
* College (From what I heard, it's a rehash of Judd Apatow and National Lampoon films)
* Death Race (Mr. Know-It-All Tom Cruise goes for pleasing the younger audiences with a new Jason Statham film that looks all but interesting. f**k TOM CRUISE, MAN! Now that I got it out of my system...)
* Far Cry (Uwe Boll is back)
* Four Christmases (After Fred Claus, I don't think there's any going back for Vince Vaughn)
* He's Just Not That Into You (Ah, something about this film looks iffy, even if the cast is good)
* The House Bunny (I hope not. But Anna Faris's bubble-gum charm is nowhere in sight in trailers)
* Lakeview Terrace (The premise alone makes me queasy. Haven't we been down the racism road long enough?)
* Major Movie Star (Ach! Jessica Simpson returns. This may be DTV, however)
* Make It Happen (Take the director of a Tyler Perry film and writers of every stupid teen dance film you got, and hire one of the better soap opera vixens-turned-actresses to star and whadda you get? You get this)
* Mama I Wanna Sing! (I saw the plot in Wikipedia, and it reeks of Dreamgirls rip-off)
* Marley & Me (#2 for Owen Wilson this year. In more ways that one)
* Max Payne (Mark Wahlberg may liven up the preceedings, but he'll be bogged down by John Moore and Mila Kunis - who I'm sure will be ever-so-annoying in this one)
* Miss Conception (Love Heather Graham. Hate her choices in projects)
* My Best Friend's Girl (Dane Cook wallows in dookie again, now with Kate Hudson and Jason "Woody Allen Wannabe" Biggs)
* Possession (Another bad Gellar thriller)
* Postal (See Far Cry)
* Punisher: War Zone (It just doesn't look good. And the director is unknown)
* Repo! The Genetic Opera (Paris Hilton is back!)
* Righteous Kill (Robert De Niro and Al Pacino reunite in a film directed by the man who made 88 Minutes and co-starring Fitty Cent)
* Saw V (Another one?)
* Soul Men (Up in the air at this point, because Malcolm D. Lee is good in all parts. But the writer from Man of the House is involved too, so...)

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:36am

You're not going to believe this, but in a reversal of fortune http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/speed_racer/ - Speed Racer has a 36% Rotten Rate at RT and http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008760-what_happens_in_vegas/ - WHIV is only at 28%, Only in Hollywood!

I still agree with this being the Number#1 Worst of the Weak, however .

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 10:19am
Damn! I thought I was going to be right for once...saying that What Happens in Vegas will actually be good!

Posted By: hastymanic
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 11:33am

The first time I saw the preview, I felt like looking away -- It was maddening. I couldn't imagine taking over two hours of it.

I was overjoyed when I saw the negative reviews pouring in. In interviews, Christina Ricci even spoke of her embarrassment when spouting some of the dialogue lines...

-------------
Hasty Manic
I am still looking for a movie worse than 'Manos: The Hands of Fate.' Alas, I remain ever hopeful!

Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 1:15pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: "Cool beans!" for example?!?!?!?!

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

Why are they releasing such bad movies this year.

This year? However, I think the answer is pretty self-evident. The major studios are shunning creativity for proven formulas, and electing style over substance.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: JakeSpeed
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 2:04pm
Years ago, a friend was telling the story of trying out "shrooms" (or something similar) for the first time, and was advised that to experience the full effect, she should see something colorful.  I was told the movie she saw under the influence was "Howard The Duck."

I think it's time to try the experiment again, only leave the shrooms at home -- you won't need 'em!  I don't think my eyes have ever been as assaulted by so much hi-def over-saturation...

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 3:34pm

Awww....I really did not want this film to be the first flop of this summer. It's really sad. I wanted others to be the first flops...just not this one. Fortunately, it only costed $100 million to make and $80 million to market. Ok, there's still a chance it might make a lot overseas.

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: May 12 2008 at 11:21am

If you ask me, if you're going to make a full length feature of a cartoon series, just keep it animated. I mean, if the movie is mostly the actors in front of a green screen anyway, you might as well make the entire movie CGI.

Like George Lucas basing his career around Star Wars, I think the "Matrix Bros." need to do the same, and stick to leeching off the success of Matrix-related media.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: tomsmobr
Date Posted: May 12 2008 at 1:19pm

I saw it today, and thought the car race scenes were pretty cool...

-------------

Posted By: illicits
Date Posted: May 17 2008 at 8:30pm
This movie could have legal action taken against it for inducing epilepsy. Way, way too much abuse of cartoonish, literal CGI!!  

-------------
i put the ill in illicit.

i'm a closeted critic.

Date Posted: May 24 2008 at 2:50pm

I watched it today on IMAX and I had a lot of fun. Review:

Hurtling down the track, careening around, over and through the competition, Speed Racer is a natural behind the wheel. Born to race cars, Speed is aggressive, instinctive and, most of all, fearless. His only real competition is the memory of the brother he idolized-the legendary Rex Racer - whose death in a race has left behind a legacy that Speed is driven to fulfill.

Speed is loyal to the family racing business, led by his father, Pops Racer, the designer of Speed's thundering Mach 5. When Speed turns down a lucrative and tempting offer from Royalton Industries, he not only infuriates the company's maniacal owner but uncovers a terrible secret-some of the biggest races are being fixed by a handful of ruthless moguls who manipulate the top drivers to boost profits. If Speed won't drive for Royalton, Royalton will see to it that the Mach 5 never crosses another finish line.

The only way for Speed to save his family's business and the sport he loves is to beat Royalton at his own game. With the support of his family and his loyal girlfriend, Trixie, Speed teams with his one-time rival-the mysterious Racer X - to win the race that had taken his brother's life: the death-defying, cross-country rally known as The Crucible.

This is the first film I've ever seen in IMAX. Honestly, I was amazed. The film was truley one of the best looking films I've ever seen! Brilliant eye candy throughout the film! And for that reason alone, you should watch this movie. After the disappointing box office earnings from it's opening weekend, "Speed Racer" will most definately go down as a cult classic, unless there's a sequel.

Sure, there's "Iron Man" but you expect people would have already seen that movie, but that movie is getting better each week! Unfortunately, this film is left out to die. Yes, I'm diappointed that more people didn't see it and I don't know why but that's life.

Now, as the movie itself, it was really good. The plot, although stretching a bit with the many different plotlines, was good. I actually liked it. However, I do think the movie ran a bit too long, sometimes dragging in the middle part of the film. It could've been a fast paced 90 minute entertaining film, but it was tolerable.

The cast has a lot of fun here. Each single person in here plays the role really well, although I wasn't a fan of the original cartoon series. This is definately an ensemble film and does not only focus on Emile Hirsch himself. The visuals - what can I say more? It's all eye candy! It's all so brilliant and fresh, unlike anything you've ever seen in your life! Absolutely stunning! The Wachowskis did a really great job creating the world!

But there's a time, here and there, when the characters Chim-Chim, the monkey, and Spritle, played by Paulie Litt, get a little annoying. They are the comedic characters in here and they feel a bit unneccesary but I completely understand they were annoying, as well, in the original series.

If you want to watch this movie, it's because you want to have a lot of fun and see a lot of amazing visuals and CGI the movie has set for you. The movie could've been a bit shorter and the plot a bit cleaner but overall, it's a really fun movie for the family! I enjoyed it quite a bit!

7/10

-------------

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: May 25 2008 at 8:58am

And now for an alternate point of view. . .

Kids, please don't do what I did.  Understand, I'm an amateur, and I don't know what the hell I was doing. . . .

I decided that, before I went out to see Speed Racer (on a normal screen, not at the IMAX like MWG did), I needed to prepare myself.  So, I proceeded to melt each cell in my brain by watching several episodes of the Speed Racer cartoon available on MySpace.  Yes, I relived the joys of my boyhood (or, more precisely, wondered why oh why oh why) by watching  http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33829766 - The Great Plan , http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33829771 - The Challenge of the Masked Racer , http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33829764 - The Secret Engine , http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33829788 - Race Against the Mammoth Car (imagine a vehicle like several semi-trailers joined end to end made out of $15 million (we're talking late 60s dollars) worth of stolen gold), http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33829770 - The Most Dangerous Race  (featuring the car acrobatic team and a weird nightmare of Trixie's), http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33829778 - The Race for Revenge and http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=34339434 - The Car Hater .  If you are so inclined, it seems you'll find all the episodes legally available through MySpace.

I couldn't help but notice several things, first and foremost my wondering what as a boy watching all of this over and over did to my poor brain.    I forgot Pops was a wrestler, Trixie flew a helicopter and a plane, Trixie was tricky, the "G" on Speed's uniform comes from his name in the original Japanese dialog (Go Mifune), no other racer added any of the Mach 5 devices to their cars, especially the car jacks, http://www.cs.utah.edu/~duongsaa/more_htm/jk_100animeRules.htm - the laws of physics do not apply to anime , and everybody was incredibly stupid much of the time.  I mean, Racer X is Rex Racer, come on.  $15 million in gold is stolen and this big honking car is entered into the race, and no one can figure out what happened to the gold?  Would any of these racers actually participate in most of these racers, considering that in a number of them just about everybody dies except Speed and Racer X?  And they never design the Mach 5's trunk latch so Spritle and Chim Chim can't hitch a ride.  And, speaking of which, why would anyone want to watch a race from the inside of a car trunk?

The Wachowski Brothers don't solve all these problems, and in fact keep the Mach 5's way too accessible trunk, preferring to use Spritle and Chim Chim in the trunk over God in the machine, I'd imagine.  But to their credit, they solve a number of problems.  First, they create a lifesaving containment device that is required on every racing car, a device that detects when a racer is about to crash, wrapping the driver in some sort of energy sphere and taking him from certain harm to a safety zone.  Because of this single development, the racetracks can now become wilder, more dangerous and more demanding.  Because the likelihood of crashes on the track increases with the course's difficulty, every racer, not just Speed, has jump jacks and knows how to jump, how to land and how to drive after they've landed.  If someone cracks up in front of you, you jump right over them and keep on going.  Another result of the lifesaving device is that racers bumping each other's cars is taken to a whole other level, where you purposefully manhandle each others' cars.  And cheating is taken to the extreme, where cars are illegally equipped with tire shredders, spearhooks that grab a car from underneath, oil slick dispensers and other secret devices.  SPOILER!  And they had Rex Racer undergo plastic surgery so no one would recognize him if he removed his mask.  END OF SPOILER.

Another problem the Wachowski's tackle is what devices should the Mach 5 actually have.  You'd be surprised to know, but over the years many people have wasted much space on message boards debating what 7 devices they would put on the Mach 5.  Most of them would keep the car jacks, for example, but one of the first ones to go are the directional and independent infrared headlights.  You can have something even better than those as part of your standard headlights anyway.  They took out the oxygen dispenser with periscope, too, so they don't have the Mach 5 doing any submarine maneuvers.  They modified the tire grips into the similar tire spikes, they added a tire replacement system and they added tire shields to protect against shredders.  They also modified the flying homing robot so it could also be a flying camera.

With those much needed and much welcomed improvements, they proceeded to do several other things correctly.  Probably the most important thing was to re-create the Mach 5 so that it looked and behaved like the Mach 5.  The Mach 5, without question, is the main attraction of the story.  It's a car to fall in love with, from the way it looks to the way it handles to its speed and to how it saves your butt time and time again.  And they couldn't have recreated Speed Racer without an actor that looked like Speed Racer, so Emile Hirsch is probably the only one who could have filled this bill up until now. 

The Wachowskis then upped the ante by attempting to recreate an anime world as a combination of live action and CGI, and in many cases, the attempt was magnificent, although, unfortunately, in other cases, the animation was poor enough to disrupt my suspension of disbelief several times.

And, believe me, after watching all those Speed Racer cartoons, my suspension of disbelief couldn't have been more dumbed down if I had guzzled a bottle of whiskey. 

But the places where the CGI was poor didn't cause the worst problems in this movie.  In fact, the movie dragged almost every time it went to the dialogue, which, in light of all these other improvements they made, was only a little less dumb than the original cartoon.  I guffawed over many of Speed and Trixie's lines, and Spritle and Chim Chim were scripted as less comic relief than they were annoying interruptions.  I want to make it clear that the actors themselves were fine; it was the lines they had to say that dragged the movie down.

If the pacing had kept up, I doubt the 2 hour plus run time would have been a problem, but with each idiotic, dragged out part, this movie felt like it ran for 4 hours. 

Add to that subverting main villains like Snake Oiler from The Most Dangerous Race and Cruncher Block from The Race Against the Mammoth Car under a new villain, E. P. Arnold Royalton, all in a storyline played out through four races (five if you want to include the one where Rex crashes Pops car).  This created an unwieldy movie.  Add to that some of the endearing but laughably impossible moments from the cartoon (for example, the Mach 5, sliding down a snowy slope jumps across the ravine to an opposing snowy slope that it proceeds to drive up), and you have a movie that can make even me shake my numb-minded noggin.

And then you have the overall plot, basically taking the original Rollerball and re-fashioning it into a Speed Racer story.  The corporations control everything, corruption is rampant and one person decides to stand up for dignity, freedom and, in Speed's case, his family.  In the bad economic times we are experiencing today, to where greed goes unabated in the forms of rising food prices, rising gas prices, rising healthcare costs and an overcrowded, overly expensive incarceration system, we could use a good story like that.

Unfortunately, Speed Racer is NOT that good story.

Four particularly bad moments:

Straight out of the James Bond movie You Only Live Twice, you have a ninja dropping poison down a thread suspended over a sleeping person's mouth.  This may work if you haven't seen it before.  It doesn't work if you have.

What's with the Viking racers?  And they're bribing them with furs?  You have to be kidding!

Why is Sparky, a car mechanic, a wimp but Trixie can kick ass?

Why do they have so many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many damn flashbacks?

What's sad about this movie is that all the ingredients were there.  All the right actors, many good decisions and improvements, a character many people are familiar with, a wild and incredible new look, a whole new view of racing. . . . it just needed more work before production so the whole was pared down to a tight story and the comic relief was, in fact, comic. 

I can only imagine what my reaction to this movie would have been had I not relived my boyhood TV watching beforehand.

It should be noted that http://www.ahafilm.info/movies/mr.phtml?fid=7930 - the American Humane Animal Society gave Speed Racer an unacceptable rating because of an incident where a trainer struck a chimpanzee in the presence of an AHA representative.  However, no chimpanzee is reported to have struck either of the Wachowskis for, despite all their good efforts, screwing up in the end lap of what could have been an excellent finish.

Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 1:34pm
If you ask me, if a movie is based on a cartoon series, and has THIS MUCH CGI in it, you might as well just make the whole thing animated. That's how the "Transformers" movie should have been. Oh, and it would have also helped if Michael Bay hadn't directed it!

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 6:51am
I just got back from a mark-down theater showing this. Your opinion of this will depend on if you were a fan of the show. If you're a fan, there's a good chance of having damn good time. If not, then there's a good chance of your having a bad time. Me, I'm a big "Speed Racer" fan, and I was entertained.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: July 05 2008 at 1:00pm
Not really because I never watched the tv show and I liked it.

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 06 2008 at 3:22am
My dad wasn't a fan of the show, but he thought it was OK.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: November 18 2008 at 12:32pm
Don't judge me on this, I tried to finish this one, and I did not succeed.
My reveries were interrupted by the discomfort of my conscious mind,
which despised this movie. While I enjoyed the bright energetic visuals,
I'm sorry to report that there is nothing behind the glossy feel to this
movie. Nada. The story and dialogue were so devoid of originality and
creativity that they might as well have made this a strait to DVD cartoon.
All the characters are so monotonous due to the poor writing and
direction, that not even a pro like Susan Sarandon can make lines as
hokey as, "I watch you race to make art", work.

I am told that I have to be a fan of the show to enjoy the movie; I have a
question for those people: Did the TV show have a sophomoric storyline
and bland dialogue coming from one-dimensional caricatures? If so, then
the movie captured that perfectly.

I understand many people were disappointed with the Wachowski
brothers' Matrix sequels, but believe me, once they see Speed
Racer
they will be looking back on them quite fondly.

Worst Picture, Worst Director(s), Worst Actor, 2 for Worst Supporting
Actress Susan Sarandon and Christina Ricci, 3 for Worst Supporting Actor
John Goodman, Scott Porter (also for Prom NIght) and whoever plays
his little brother. This was way worse than What Happens In
Vegas
!

Date Posted: November 19 2008 at 9:51am
....you will not show up for work for a week.

Date Posted: November 19 2008 at 12:52pm

Because he said the "Speed Racer" movie was bad??? 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Duh. lol, but it was a joke...or is it?

Date Posted: November 20 2008 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by Michaels

Duh. lol, but it was a joke...or is it?

Ah, gee ... was it?

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: November 20 2008 at 6:55pm

ENOUGH!!!

This protesting seems almost meaningless.  Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, Postal, Meet Dave, The Love Guru, and Witless Protection (among others) have put this film far behind in just about every category.  In addition, Movieman, Illicits, and Cvcjr have proven themselves corrupt because Movieman's review would leave most of the RT users pissed off (like me), Illicits' review is fictitious and he is overreacting, and Cvcjr didn't recover all of the memory in his system. 

This film may not be Oscar-worthy, but it's not Razzie-worthy either... 

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 1:58am

Why is it that if critics' opinions of a movie are negative, you say they are "corrupt"? If they were "corrupt," wouldn't that mean someone was PAYING them to give negative reviews -- which makles no sense!   

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

ENOUGH!!!

This protesting seems almost meaningless.  Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, Postal, Meet Dave, The Love Guru, and Witless Protection among others have put this film far behind in just about every category.  In addition, Movieman, Illicits, and Cvcjr have proven themselves corrupt because Movieman's review would leave most of the RT users pissed off (like me), Illicits' review is fictitious and he is overreacting, and Cvcjr didn't recover all of the memory in his system.  This film may not be Oscar-worthy, but it's not Razzie-worthy either.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:31am
Well those arguments were aggressive, compelling, and in some cases offensive nonetheless. 

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 12:43pm

Why, just because they are negative reviews of a movie you might have liked? 

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Well those arguments were aggressive, compelling, and in some cases offensive nonetheless. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:28pm
Well, this film was actually pretty near the mark.  It was better than most of the other prospects and compared to the others, it's one of 16 that will most likely get left out.

Posted By: tdickensheets
Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 4:09pm

I like a cartoon better!!

Same with Spider-man. I like the cartoon then the movie.

-------------
Thomas Dickensheets

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: February 27 2009 at 4:09pm
I'm curious; is English a second language to tdickensheets? Or is he like four
years old or something?

Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 1:28am
Some people in this forum just post randomly and then disappear. You have to get used to it after a while. Remember the one guy who kept asking random questions about "Hancock" and "The Dark Knight"? What was up with that?

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: February 28 2009 at 3:39am
I'm guessing it's a second language, and note that he's pretty new to these forums, as well. Cut him some slack until he says something stupid.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 10:22am
The problem with the movie is that the directing is the way it is'cuz the Wachowskis wanted it that way.However,just because a mistake is on purpose it doesn't mean it's justified.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:32pm
The problem is American live action filmmakers don't relate to the Japanese animators' original idea of what the the anime series are, and because of it, you have something that looks like a bastard step-child that one no wants. It's like asking a guy who pumps gas to do open heart surgery.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

The problem is American live action filmmakers don't relate to the Japanese animators' original idea of what the the anime series are, and because of it, you have something that looks like a bastard step-child that one no wants. It's like asking a guy who pumps gas to do open heart surgery.

So...we meet again BurnHollywoodBurn.

Congrats.You're officially a film critic.Why?You use weird metaphors to describe a movie.However,you're better than most,'cuz you actually say what's right and/or wrong,rather than just the metaphor.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Vits

So...we meet again BurnHollywoodBurn.

Congrats.You're officially a film critic.Why?You use weird metaphors to describe a movie.However,you're better than most,'cuz you actually say what's right and/or wrong,rather than just the metaphor.
And I suppose you are a film critic, too, since you like to point out what was wrong with each movie, or at least what you thought was wrong with it.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 3:02pm
I swear I wasn't being sarcastic.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 6:56pm
May I suggest a poll: How do you guys feel about the new version of the theme song?  

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 8:15pm
Or better yet, a poll: Who is tried of Hollywood raping our childhood memories to the point you want ALL the studios to close down just like M-G-M is about to?  

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 12:39pm

Look,it's bad enough your rants are the only answers I get. Now you're answering with questions?!  

If you don't feel like talking about a movie (or you don't have anything to say that you hadn't said a gazzillion times already) then cut it the f*ck out!...sorry about that last part. It's just that I just saw KNOCKED UP.

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 1:47pm
"Knocked Up" made you angry enough to curse?  

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 5:29pm
No. It's just that the characters do that during the entire movie. It's like a disease!

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 6:47pm
Maybe you shouldn't watch R rated movies if you are that easily influenced by them?

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 2:42pm
I'm joking. Maybe I should stop posting jokes in which the humour is based on my tone of voice. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 5:41pm
Yeah, that really doesn't work over the Internet.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window