Print Page | Close Window

OMG -- Another Horror Remake?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX!
Forum Name: QUARANTINE
Forum Discription: Quarantine Yourself...from Bothering 2-C This!! {Check Out the Spanish Original Instead}
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3142
Printed Date: November 23 2014 at 11:17am

Topic: OMG -- Another Horror Remake?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: OMG -- Another Horror Remake?!?
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 4:37am

OKAY -- YES, IT IS YET ANOTHER RE-MAKE of a FOREIGN HORROR FILM. BUT IT's NOT LIKE THAT's ALL HOLLYWOOD PRODUCERS KNOW HOW to DO THESE DAZE -- THIS TIME IT's, LIKE, TOTALLY DIFFERENT...

SEE, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/ - THE ORIGINAL FILM WASN'T ASIAN -- IT WAS SPANISH...

AND IT WAS a HIT NOT ONLY WITH AUDIENCES, BUT ALSO WITH http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/awards - CRITICS   AROUND the WORLD ...

AND IN "AMERICAN-IZING" IT, THEY WEREN'T JUST "INSPIRED" by the ORIGINAL FOREIGN FILM-MAKERS, THEY WERE ALSO "INSPIRED" by the BASIC STYLE and PREMISE of  http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/ - CLOVERFIELD (A HAND-HELD/MINI-CAM LOOK, SUPPOSEDLY LEFT BEHIND by the "VICTIMS")...  

SO, YOU SEE, IT's NOT LIKE YOU CAN CLAIM http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=313 - QUARANTINE IS JUST ANOTHER TINSEL-TOWN RIP-OFF.

IT'S, LIKE, a TOTALLY NEW IDEA!

(...DID YOU BUY ANY of THAT???)

FIREMAN: "Yeah, we were able to cut a few bucks from our budget by recycling Kirk Cameron's costume from FIREPROOF..."

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: #1-Movie-Fan!
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 7:04am

As Nasty Man mentions in another string on this Forum, the makers of this remake apparently arranged for the original Spanish version of this material -- a version which, by all accounts, is one of the best horror movies of the last decade -- to be UNAVAILBE on DVD in the US.

Since it's the Spanish version, and not this watered-down American remake, that I'd prefer to see, all I've got to say is: Thanks a lot, Screen Gems!!

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 9:03am
Geez, first Cloverfield and now this?! Why is The Blair Witch
Project
being ripped off now?!

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 12:28pm

Originally posted by movieman

Geez, first Cloverfield and now this?! Why is The Blair Witch
Project
being ripped off now?!

Because it was a successful movie, thus Hollywood will try to copy its aspects and style in order to make more money. It's like drilling in the same well over and over again in hopes of striking oil every time.

Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Because it was a successful movie, thus Hollywood will try to copy its
aspects and style in order to make more money. It's like drilling in the same
well over and over again in hopes of striking oil every time.

You do make a good point, and I guess it would make sense to make it now,
and not seven or eight years ago where most people would remember
Blair Witch...

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: October 08 2008 at 11:31am

Here's what I posted on the Mirrors board:

The most recent horror film I thought was scary was http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/ - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/ . Although I like almost every film I see, trust me when I say this: This has got to be one of the best and scariest horror films ever made! Don't worry. This movie is from Spain. It's getting to be known by more people because an American remake is coming out this year (mostly shot-for-shot with some newly added scenes, including an alt. ending) called "Quarantine." ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/ - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/ ) Rec isn't out on DVD yet but there are sites and torrents out there to see it. I think it's going to come out on DVD when Quarantine comes out.

Posted By: moat
Date Posted: October 09 2008 at 11:31am
I get the feeling some of the characters in this movie might die. Don't know why...

Also, isn't that firefighter from the Hostel films? Glad to see they're invoking only the classiest films of horror's recent years.

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 9:27am
Yes! It is the highest rating in RT, although it's like 9 reviews. Now after saying this, the movie might tilt down to rotton but who cares. I loved the original and want to see this badly.

Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 10:47am
Wow! 70% approval rating! They are good at researching who they
allow to see their movie!

Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 1:35pm
Hahahahaha...see, now it's falling. This always happen when I'm happy at first. Why do critics do this to me? Why? WHY?! Maybe I should have kept the happiness to myself.

Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:41pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Hahahahaha...see, now it's falling. This always happen when I'm happy at first. Why do critics do this to me? Why? WHY?! Maybe I should have kept the happiness to myself.

Sorry, but critics will always rain on movie lovers' parades. No matter how much you love a movie, there will be a handful of critics who will hate the very mentioning of that movie's name. That's just the way it is, you can't please all the people all of the time.

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: October 10 2008 at 7:52pm
How many successful Americanizations have there actually been? Like.... 1 or 2? The annoying thing to me is that I don't think the reason that Americans do this is because they think they can make it better, but that so many Americans don't wanna read subtitles or open their eyes to a different way of filming a movie. And money, of course, but still.

Date Posted: October 11 2008 at 1:47am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

How many successful Americanizations have there actually been? Like.... 1 or 2? The annoying thing to me is that I don't think the reason that Americans do this is because they think they can make it better, but that so many Americans don't wanna read subtitles or open their eyes to a different way of filming a movie. And money, of course, but still.

It would be alot cheaper if the American studios would just buy the rights to the original movie and have them subtitled rather than remaking the whole thing. If movies like "Passion of the Christ" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" proved anything, it' that American movier goers CAN read. Or at least the ones over the age of 18.

Posted By: andresbayona14
Date Posted: October 13 2008 at 12:01pm

I don't understand why you guys are saying that this film is bad. In fact it got favorable reviews at Rottentomatoes. This happens because you tend to say things without having any idea. When this "WORST MOVIE OF THE WEEK" was posted there wasn't any review at rottentomatoes or other media. This case remembers me "SNAKES ON A PLANE" which was attacked many time before it was released and the result was completely the opposite: critics loved it and RAZZIES were wrong...as usual. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Where did you get the idea that we nominated SNAKES ON A PLANE for any RAZZIES??  We did have a Forum on it, and also did a Member Field Trip to see it opening weekend (and had a ball laughing throughout the film ). But SNAKES was NOT a RAZZIE nominee.

You seem, like many people stopping by this Forum who spew opinions without spedning any time researching their relevance, to have assumed that any film we discuss will automatically be nominated. The Forum is essentially a means of discussing POTENTIAL CONTENDERS -- Not necessarily an indication that all 60 or so 2008 films under discussion will end up being nominated as the year's Berry Worst... 

-------------
ambb04®

Date Posted: October 13 2008 at 11:52pm

Snakes on a Plane was horrible. I have no idea why critics liked it, other than the fact that it was one of last 2006's biggest laugh riots.
Seriously, you have people being bitten on their crotches and breasts and it's supposed to be dead serious...and they expect us not to laugh??

Originally posted by andresbayona14

I don't understand why you guys are saying that this film is bad. In fact it got favorable reviews at Rottentomatoes. This happens because you tend to say things without having any idea.
When this "WORST MOVIE OF THE WEEK" was posted there wasn't any review at rottentomatoes or other media. This case remembers me "SNAKES ON A PLANE" which was attacked many time before it was released and the result was completely the opposite: critics loved it and RAZZIES were wrong...as usual.

-------------

Posted By: andresbayona14
Date Posted: October 14 2008 at 1:42am
Of course...Snakes on a plane was funny and it clearly didn't take itself very serious. But the point here is that the razzie members sometimes think that a film will be bad and they post that thoughts without knowing the critics point of view. And that's why i definitely don't agree that Quarantine is the worst film of the week. If you see other films released that same week you can clearly see that there were some other films painfuly bad. This is just to call attention.

-------------
ambb04®

Date Posted: October 14 2008 at 2:34am

Relax andresbayona14. Remember, just because it shows up on the Razzie message boards, that doesn't mean it will "win" anything. These boards are just for feedback. Chances are even if this movies gets as far as a nod for Worst Remake, it won't win. It's under consideration and nothing more. As HeadRazz has said many times before, only a small handfull of movies out of the 100+ movies discussed here get nods and an even smaller amount actually "win". 

Originally posted by andresbayona14

Of course...Snakes on a plane was funny and it clearly didn't take itself very serious. But the point here is that the razzie members sometimes think that a film will be bad and they post that thoughts without knowing the critics point of view. And that's why i definitely don't agree that Quarantine is the worst film of the week. If you see other films released that same week you can clearly see that there were some other films painfuly bad. This is just to call attention.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 11:01am
I might see this Thursday. I have a Staff Day then and my mom has the day off from the hospital.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 8:08pm

I saw this movie on Sunday, here's my quick rundown on it. If you can ignore Jenifer Carpenter's horribly over the top performance then the movie itself is actually not bad. It has plenty of tense and suspenseful moments, as well as a lot of those "jump" moments. The camera POV actually works pretty well, although like Cloverfield, the beginning is pretty boring and it will probably loses some of it's appeal on repeated viewing.

All in all though, I'd have to say it is leagues above all the other throwaway sh*t horror movies that have plagued our theaters this year. It is a perfect movie for the Halloween season, and a much better movie than George Romero's similarly filmed "Diary of the Dead", which was a f**king atrocity of a movie.

Also to reiterate this fact, Jenifer Carpenter's "performance" is something you have to see to believe -- and it is truly worthy of Razzie gold! 

-------------
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin

Date Posted: November 02 2008 at 2:07am
My friend saw it a few weeks ago. He said the plot was stupid and the acting was lame. Also, he got motion sickness from the camera shaking all over the place.

Posted By: wolfee37
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 12:25pm
I keep on hearing how bad Jennifer Carpenter which is too bad because she was good in Emily Rose and Dexter. Maybe she needs a Razzie Nomination? Its not like there is much competition.

Date Posted: September 19 2009 at 1:46am
A remake of the 2007 Spanish film REC, QUARANTINE chronicles the outbreak of a rabies-like disease in a Los Angeles apartment building and the struggle of the unaffected residents to stay alive after the authorities trap them inside in an effort to contain it...all through the lens of a news camera.

I am quite a fan of REC. That film was one of the scariest films I've seen in a LONG TIME and I do really mean that. I don't usually say that phrase a lot. Of course, Hollywood bought the rights and decided to remake the film. Remakes, in general, don't bother me. I tend to score most remakes around a 5 because I think they were decent and nowhere near as bad as fans of the originals make it out to be.

Anyway, getting right to the point, I think QUARANTINE serves the original film well, comparing to other remakes. There's no doubt that those who haven't seen the original will get more of a kick of it than when I saw the film because I knew what was going to happen. Saying that, this film does manage to bring some shocks and scares because of the change in situations. I was surprised when people say that this film is a shot for shot remake because it really wasn't.

QUARANTINE is like REC, yes, recopying the essential scenes from the original, like the ending. HOWEVER, QUARANTINE is REC with different situations. Other than the basic plot outline, QUARANTINE presents different situations than the ones in REC. For example, there are now cellphones, an elevator, and even a substantially bigger cast! And I like that. There were some additions that I thought were better than the original film. One thing I complained about in the original was the explanation of the disease. In this one, it's much more realistic.

There are also some suspenseful scenes as well, not surprisingly, including the last ten minutes of the film. Now that was scary. Even though it was an outright copy from the original, the last few minutes are very unnerving. As for the performances, Jennifer Carpenter did a fantastic job playing the character who mentally breaks down really well. Other than that, most of the cast members were actually pretty bad in this. Some exceptions include an opera teacher and his prodigal student, new characters that were not in the original film.

In terms of story, I prefer QUARANTINE because I liked the situations, which I can relate more to than the ones presented in REC. I also loved the Gothic-style production design, another thing I found to be superior in this film. However, in terms of suspense and scariness, that would go to REC. REC builds the tension so well, unlike this film, where the scares are sporadic. I don't know what to say to the fans of the original. Sure, the remake was unnecessary but I thought the film was good. As for those who haven't seen the original, watch the original first and then see the remake. 7/10

Date Posted: September 19 2009 at 3:05am
Whatever happened to the agreement that "out of 10 rating are too high"? If the movie was given 3 out of 5, that I could understand, but 7 out of 10, again with the overhyping.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Whatever happened to the agreement that "out of 10 rating are too high"? If the movie was given 3 out of 5, that I could understand, but 7 out of 10, again with the overhyping.
Well,I gave it 5/10 which is also 3/5.

In grades it would be a C- or a 4,5 in Chile.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window