Print Page | Close Window

Go Ahead, Scare Me. No Really...Go Ahead!

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX!
Forum Name: THE HAUNTING of MOLLY HARTLEY
Forum Discription: This One Definitley Looks Like a Made-for-Cable Movie That Somehow Escaped into Theatres!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3192
Printed Date: September 30 2014 at 7:19am

Topic: Go Ahead, Scare Me. No Really...Go Ahead!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Go Ahead, Scare Me. No Really...Go Ahead!
Date Posted: October 27 2008 at 6:22am

HALLOWEEN WEEKEND HAS TRADITIONALLY BECOME a HOLLYWOOD DUMPING GROUND for MEDIOCRE HORROR MOVIES, and 2008 WAS NO EXCEPTION...

STARRING PRETTY BOY http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2003700/ - CHACE CRAWFORD (of CW's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397442/ - GOSSIP GIRL ) and a CAST of OTHERWISE "UNKNOWNS," http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=317 - THE HAUNTING OF MOLLY HARTLEY HAD ONLY ONE TRULY SCARY THING GOING for IT: IT LOOKED AMAZINGLY LIKE a MADE-for-CABLE CHEAPIE THAT INEXPLICABLY ENDED UP in THEATRES at FIRST-RUN PRICES (NOT UNLIKE the PREVIOUS WEEKEND's BOX OFFICE CHAMP -- and FELLOW FORUM SUBJECT --  http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3175&PN=1 - HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 ).

BUT IF THIS IS YOUR IDEA of SCARY, MAYBE IT'S TIME to CHANGE the LIGHTBULB in THAT NIGHT-LIGHT YOU STILL SLEEP WITH in MOMMY's ROOM...

"Hello, 911 -- I'd like to report an exploding jar of RAZZberry jam!"

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: October 27 2008 at 10:35am

Well, this is the recent trend with horror movies: Get an unknown cast of young actors (or at least young actors from popular teen TV series) throw in an unknown director with only music videos on his resume, add some "ADHD" style editing, and bam -- you have a cheap $10 million movie with hopes of making $100 million back from stupid teens suckered in to see it.

It's been like that for what...30 years now? 

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: Nasty Man
Date Posted: October 27 2008 at 11:36am

Halloween has probably been the time of year to release cheap-jack horror films since Universal's string of "Wolf Man" and "Mummy" sequels in the early-to-mid 1940s.

What makes this particular film an egregious example of suckering in audiences is that its advertising truly does look wimpy enough (i.e. scare-free enough) to have been made for either cable TV or direct-to-video release. And why they think opening it on Halloween night makes sense -- when the very morning after it opens the whole Halloween as a sales angle suddenly becomes moot -- is beyond me...

-------------
Everything SUX!

Posted By: Headbanger14
Date Posted: October 27 2008 at 11:38am

Just the title of this movie reminds me of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, another film that just raged with bad acting... 

-------------

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: October 27 2008 at 1:19pm

I wouldn't say anything too bad about Gossip Girl, HeadRAZZ. It's  sardonic (thanks to Kristen Bell's acidic narration), it's likeable, and it has a cast of surprisingly talented actors for a CW show.

I hope Leighton Meester is in the running to play the Huntress and Penn Badgeley as The Flash (Wally West) or Booster Gold in a future Justice League film.

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Posted By: moat
Date Posted: October 30 2008 at 10:44am

I don't even feel like ripping into this movie. The apathy it inspires is too overwhelming...

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: November 01 2008 at 2:52pm

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was one of the best horror movies created this century. It's sad to see people like you bashing it.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Just curious -- by "this century," do you mean the past 8 years??? 

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2008 at 1:56am

Just a little food for thought: If you want people on this Forum to stop insulting you, it's best not to use phrases like "people like you." 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was one of the best horror movies created this century. It's sad to see people like you bashing it.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: November 02 2008 at 2:05pm
Obviously, Rotten Tomatoes isn't giving an inch.  I might ask some of the critics if they posted their complaints AFTER they saw it.  Based on where it landed on the box office charts and the C grade its getting on Box Office Mojo, I might rank this as either Probable or Questionable (ironically, One Missed Call, The Eye, Shutter, The Happening, and Quarantine all fell in the latter category).

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: November 03 2008 at 11:47am
I meant the past 8 years. I thought people didn't like it becaue they expected action and explosions...when it's a good court room drama that is NOT 12 Angry Men.

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2008 at 12:14pm
Scratch that last comment.  Somebody posted a Fresh review on RT and the reception was CRUEL!!!

Posted By: jbron8
Date Posted: November 12 2008 at 12:51pm
It doesn't look scary in the least bit, but I still kind of want to see it. Most scary movies aren't really scary anyway...

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:10am
Is that a chance you have to take or is that a complete risk?  The Happening probably would beat this in Worst Excuse for a Horror Movie (if you bring that back).

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:17am

I doubt "The Haunting of ..." will get any nods. "The Happening" "Saw V" "Mirrors" and "The Eye" are all way more serious contenders for any Worst Horror Movie category... 

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:03pm
You forgot One Missed Call.

Posted By: wolfee37
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 8:49am

AHHH HORRIBLE MOVIE. why did my friends want to see this, WHY?!

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 11:39am

Originally posted by wolfee37

AHHH HORRIBLE MOVIE. why did my friends want to see this, WHY?!

The same reason why teenagers have made "Saw" such a successful series: to see people being killed in bloody, "creative", and over-the-top ways.

Date Posted: January 10 2009 at 6:32am

This movie was about as "scary" as High School Musical. It should have premeired on MTV -- and never have gone to theatres!

Total sh*t...

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:14am

Many movies that come out in threaters should have come out on DVD instead. I'm pretty sure "I Know Who Killed Me" was supposed to be a made-for-cable TV movie for the Sci-Fi Channel, but got decent studio backing and Lohan as its star, and thus somehow ended up in theatres instead...

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2009 at 4:29am
lmfao. I Know who Killed Me was brutal. (but I though Lohan was good in it )

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 4:48am
I was pissed, I saw that I Know Who Killed Me was on TV the other day on some channel I don't get (I was at a friend's house) and I REALLY wanna see it, but I don't wanna pay to rent it.

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I was pissed, I saw that I Know Who Killed Me was on TV the other day on some channel I don't get (I was at a friend's house) and I REALLY wanna see it, but I don't wanna pay to rent it.

Believe, man, you're not missing anything. The only things I remember about it was almost every prop in the movie was blue in color and some stupid theory that if you cut off a limb of an indentical twin, her sister's limb will fall off too. I swear, it must have been a TV movie for the Sci-Fi Channel and ended up getting upgraded to a theater release when LiLo agreed to sign on for it.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 2:17pm
I just saw it and gave it 2/10.Here's my review:

THIS MOVIE WILL BE "HAUNTING" ME FOREVER(*/*****): 

Spoilers ahead! 

Surprisingly this movie was scarier than the typical teen horror film.Too bad is still a typical teen horror film. 

Thanks to Alfred Hitchcock we learn that build-up is the key for suspense.True,but it's not the key for horror.Looking back I realize the small amount of things that actually happened.They did good on hiding the secret in order to have a good twist but the point is that interesting things happen before.Even if you're a fan of high school soap operas a lot of the scenes get repetitive. 

In some scenes Haley Bennett does an O.K. work,but in others she doesn't.Considering movies tend to be filmed outside the chronological order I'm guessing either she didn't try at first because she thought the movie was going to be bad and then she liked,or,she had a good feeling at first and then she got tired of working in it. 

The events of the ending made me over-think a lot on whether or not it was a good ending.But it's really about how they handle the ending more than the events.It's not a happy ending yet it ends on a high note with everyone so cheerful,that music,etc.So it's a bad ending. 

Grades:F in the U.S. and 2,0 in Chile.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window