Print Page | Close Window

EARLY DISCUSSION of the KARATE KID remake

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES
Forum Name: KARATE KID (2010)
Forum Discription: Is This Lazy, Nepotistic Remake a Case of "WHACKS OFF"?!?!?
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3260
Printed Date: October 02 2014 at 2:09am

Topic: EARLY DISCUSSION of the KARATE KID remake
Posted By: tomsmo35
Subject: EARLY DISCUSSION of the KARATE KID remake
Date Posted: November 22 2008 at 3:26am

Variety reports that http://www.cinecon.com/news/1821/will-smith-producing-karate-kid-remake-for-son-jaden/# -

Chris Murphy has been tapped to pen the new screenplay. Jerry Weintraub, who produced the original, is also on board. Shooting will take place in Beijing and other international locations next year.

The story will once again focus on a bullied youth who is mentored by an eccentric man. I wish Will Smith would leave The Karate Kid alone. No one loves that movie more than me.

Please don't remake it!! 

Replies:
Posted By: Vega six
Date Posted: November 22 2008 at 5:09am
It would be a huge mistake to re-do this, rather than make something original...   

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 2:25am

Why Will Smith, why?! "The Karate Kid" is fine the way it is, why change it?! It reminds me of the old joke about a screenwriter, a director, and a producer having lunch together. The screenwriter orders this great soup that he loves. The director tastes it and agrees that it's great. Then, to the screenwriter's and director's horror, the producer pees into the soup. When the screenwriter and director ask the producer why he ruined the soup, he replies "I didn't ruin it, I made it better!"

I hope this "Karate Kid" remake isn't Will Smith peeing into the soup that is a pop culture classic, which should be left alone.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 4:01pm

Precisely.  And bullying's a tough enough subject to handle, particularly in today's day and age where everything's black and white as far as the institutions are concerned.  The original walked the line perfectly; strong sympathy for Daniel while at least giving his tormentors rationalization for their actions (at least in their own deluded minds).  And since he only wanted breathing room and not their heads--which is the only way Hollywood thinks bullying can be stopped properly these days--our sympathy remains with him throughout. 

My gut just tells me the remake will get this completely wrong, and send the wrong message to younger viewers. 

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: November 25 2008 at 6:20am

I wasn't much of a fan of the first 8 Karate Kid movies or how ever many there were. I've still never figured out why he never became "The Karate Man." That aside, I've already expressed my views on remakes frequently on this board.

Remaking the movie is bad enough, but a certain unintended consequence will follow. It's will inevitably unleash renewed interest in enrolling every prepubescent child in the U.S. in some "marshal arts" school (in reality, they aren't learning true marshal arts, they are just learning creative ways to bloody each other). Every strip mall in the country already has a resident marshal arts school, all of them run by some redneck whom you'd otherwise never dream of leaving your child unaccompanied with for five minutes. Do you all suppose we could start some sort of petition to stop this thing?

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: January 20 2009 at 5:21am

Even Ralph Macchio is against it.

The original Karate Kid has lashed out at plans for a big budget remake of the hit franchise - urging Hollywood producers to leave classic films alone.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001494/ - Ralph Macchio shot to international fame as a teenager when he landed the part of Daniel Larusso in the first http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/ - Karate Kid movie.

He went on to star in two sequels before the mantle was passed to a young http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005476/ - Hilary Swank in 1994's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110657/ - The Next Karate Kid .

Now the role is to be taken on by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000226/ - Will Smith 's 10-year-old son, Jayden, in a new version of the original movie, which will be co-produced by the youngster's famous father.

And Macchio is adamant that the new film won't be a hit with the public - because too many movies are ruined by remakes.

He tells MTV.com, "It feels pretty good that some people are pretty angry that they're trying to remake http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/ - The Karate Kid . It feels good that the public feels you don't touch certain things. Some times you go back to that, and probably shouldn't."

"From my personal view, the filling the void of what Mr. Miyagi was - and the magic of that character - is going to be the toughest task. I (also) don't know where the romantic story-arc goes (with Smith's Daniel) at that age."

I don't know if Jackie Chan can do Mr. Miyagi justice, but I guess he's the best choice for the role.

Posted By: #1-Movie-Fan!
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 10:43am
Here's a http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/jackie-chan-jaden-smith-start-39karate-kid39-remake-ap - LINK to read a Yahoo Movies item about the start of production on the "Karate Kid" remake, featuring a casting notice that makes me think this may not be a Razzie contender after all -- The old Pat Morita role of Mr. Miagi will apparently be played by the usually likable Jackie Chan... 

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: July 13 2009 at 12:08pm
... God @$#@$$#@#$@#$@#$^%$@#$&&%^&*$*&*#%&@$%! I hate Hollywood so much, sometimes...  

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 3:17am

I can only recall that classic Woody Woodpecker line to sum all this up:  "If Woody had gone straight to the police, this would NEVER have happened." 

Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 11:51am
Arrests need to be made. Gitmo needs to be utilized.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: tomsmo35
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 9:25am

The Trailer for The Remake of The Karate Kid is up  you can view it here http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Karate-Kid-Remake-Trailer-16279.html - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Karate-Kid-Remake-Trailer -16279.html

Posted By: bbally
Date Posted: March 06 2010 at 3:09pm
The trailer actually looks decentShocked (Then again it's just a trailer)

This has the potential to either be just a pathetic cash in remake or Jackie Chan's best American performance ever (he looked pretty cool in the trailer)

To be honest, I grew up being a fan of the Karate Kid movies but truth be told, they were no masterpieces of Cinema. However Pat Morita added some sophistication to them (so did the rest of the cast especially in the first installment) and who knows, they might make it a better film just like how The Crazies remake proved to be superior to the original. I still have an issue that it's called Karate Kid despite taking place in China and the main character is practicing Wushu. Still this might be Jackie's chance to prove he can act to a mainstream US audience, he's already proven that back in Hong Kong with non-comedic films such as Cop Story (Not connected to Police Story) that won him Best Actor awards in Asia.

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: March 06 2010 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by bbally

This has the potential to either be just a pathetic cash in remake.

That is why ALL remakes exist.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: March 06 2010 at 5:44pm

To be honest, I grew up being a fan of the Karate Kid movies but truth be told, they were no masterpieces of Cinema.

Major understatement.

However Pat Morita added some sophistication to them (so did the rest of the cast especially in the first installment)

Fair enough

and who knows, they might make it a better film just like how The Crazies remake proved to be superior to the original.

Which is a MAJOR break in the trend. Although, from what I've heard, the original Crazies was fairly stupid.

I still have an issue that it's called Karate Kid despite taking place in China and the main character is practicing Wushu.

On stuff like this, I'm a purist. Now, I'm not a martial arts genius, but in old movies like Karate Kid and Rocky, the fighting was abysmal. In KK, all he ever does is step to the side and throw a single punch or a kick, and he somehow beats people who are CLEARLY professionals. In Rocky, especially the first one, it was just walk up to the guy and punch. No defense, and then the 1 punch knockouts and blahblahblah.
And YET, I think this is even worse. If you call it the Karate Kid, and you're not doing Karate, you're doing a form of Kung Fu, and you're wearing Chinese clothing, you're mixing your cultures up, looking somewhat stupid in the process, and more importantly, committing a FLAGRANT cash-in on someone else's work. You're making THE KARATE KID, and THE KARATE KID doesn't do KARATE?! Come ON. This is absolute bottom of the barrel marketing tactics. Why don't I make a movie called "Sonic the Hedgehog and Mickey Mouse present Citizen Kane" and have it be about a vampire tennis player who has laser eyes?
Take the name of something else that did well 20 years ago, and use it to sell the movie now to the Nostalgidiots (Ooooh... I like that, that's the best word I've come up with since Seltzerberg!) who are willing to see a movie about anything from when they were kids. Completely kill the vibe of the original source material.

Still this might be Jackie's chance to prove he can act to a mainstream US audience, he's already proven that back in Hong Kong with non-comedic films such as Cop Story (Not connected to Police Story) that won him Best Actor awards in Asia.

Well... I mean, he's not ACTUALLY a great actor. He's an acrobat with an absolute genius sense of comedic timing, and there isn't really a lot of competition on a global scale in this case.
In this case, it looks like Jackie Chan playing an older Jackie Chan, or maybe almost even a Simon Yuen, but that's OK. Personally, I love Jackie Chan, but he's not really broadening his horizons on this role, and I don't see him pulling off the Zen that Pat Morita managed to emit.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: bbally
Date Posted: March 07 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

That's not necessarily true,  The Fly, Ben Hur and The Maltese Falcon were remakes of other films and ended up being superior to the originals and from what I read, Romero's original version of The Crazies was among his least critically received and least successful films.

Posted By: DarkPhoenixSaga
Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:15am
Even though Ralph Macchio played a teenager, I think he was in his twenties when he made Karate Kid.

Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 3:29pm

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

That's not necessarily true,  The Fly, Ben Hur and The Maltese Falcon were remakes of other films and ended up being superior to the originals and from what I read, Romero's original version of The Crazies was among his least critically received and least successful films.

Three exceptions doesn't make up for the thousands of bad remakes that have been made over the many years.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 6:17pm
Burn, it is becoming apparent that missing the forest looking at the tree is evidently becoming an epidemic around here lately.LOL

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: dzenkinrob
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 2:56am
All in all from Karate Kid the best is first movie I think.
There are some funny things if we look it nowadays but still this is very great movie.

-------------
We will take care of your health: http://newtreatmentforrosacea.org/ - rosacea treatment and http://www.acne-product.org/ - best acne products

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 5:40am
Originally posted by dzenkinrob

All in all from Karate Kid the best is first movie I think.
There are some funny things if we look it nowadays but still this is very great movie.
Of course the first movie will always be the best. And yeah, anything from 30 years ago is going to be considered dated by today standards, but that doesn't mean the movie needed all the sequels and remakes that it did.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 7:35am
I think one of the things we have all come to really despise about Hollywood in recent years is the "milk anything successful for every penny you can get out of it" syndrome. I give Steven Spielberg a lot of credit for resisting both temptation and a lot of pressure to do a sequel to E.T. Just because a movie comes out that we fall in love with for whatever reason doesn't mean we need to return to the universe of those characters and that story 4 or 5 more times. Sometimes, I'd just like to watch that particular movie again and appreciate it for whatever qualities I found in it the first time.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I think one of the things we have all come to really despise about Hollywood in recent years is the "milk anything successful for every penny you can get out of it" syndrome. I give Steven Spielberg a lot of credit for resisting both temptation and a lot of pressure to do a sequel to E.T. Just because a movie comes out that we fall in love with for whatever reason doesn't mean we need to return to the universe of those characters and that story 4 or 5 more times. Sometimes, I'd just like to watch that particular movie again and appreciate it for whatever qualities I found in it the first time.
Yes, thank goodness Spielberg has yet to give into making an "ET" sequel. Seriously, what are they going to do, have the little guy get lost on Earth again, and befriend the now 30-something year old Elliott? UGH!!! Next thing you know, Coppla will be making a modern day remake of "Godfather".

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 12:55pm
After that whole Drew Barrymore-Tom Greene thing....well, let's not even go there.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 2:04pm
You can also include Shyamalan -- He was pressured to make a Sixth Sense sequel, but he and Haley Joel Osment were against the idea...  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 2:16pm
Color me dubious...  LOL

Originally posted by moviewizguy

You can also include Shyamalan. He was pressured to make a Sixth Sense sequel, but he and Haley Joel Osment were against the idea.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2010 at 2:27pm
Oh, you mean the guy who is the laughing stock of the movie business, and is rumored to be making an "Unbreakable" sequel ten years after the original? 

Didn't we already debunk the whole "Shyamamalan is the next Spielberg" theory?

-------------

Posted By: shaurya
Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 4:19am
But don't you think his work was good in this movie?   

-------------

Posted By: ziesha
Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 4:22am
yeah it was ! In fact this is a good adventurous movie to watch !

Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 7:56am
But this remake offers nothing we haven't already seen from the first 4 movies that came before it.

-------------

Posted By: Powell
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 3:44am
very gooodCry

-------------
nothing

Posted By: cooperspick
Date Posted: May 15 2011 at 7:14pm
While it was an avid attempt to bring forward a young growing actor in Jaden, but Mr. Myagi (did I spell that right?) being replaced by Jackie Chan just simply didn't work.  

Should've been a Razzie "winner" for 2010 in my opinion!  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window