Print Page | Close Window

Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX!
Forum Name: FOUR CHRISTMASES
Forum Discription: What, ONE Isn't More Than Enough?!?!?
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3266
Printed Date: April 20 2014 at 9:58pm

Topic: Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 11:50am

LIKE THAT ROCK-HARD, AGING FRUITCAKE from AUNT HELLEN EVERYONE HAULS OUT EVERY DECEMBER, HOLLYWOOD INSISTS ON MAKING "HOLIDAY-THEMED FAMILY COMEDIES" EACH YEAR.

THEY'RE RARELY FUNNY...  THEY'RE OFTEN PAINFUL... AND THEY'RE FREQUENTLY the CINEMATIC EQUIVALENT of a SURVIVAL TEST JUST to SIT THROUGH.

THIS YEAR, WARNER BROS. HAS LINED UP http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369436/ - an IMPRESSIVE CAST   for http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=321 - FOUR CHRISTMASES , and GIVEN THEM WHAT MAY BE the MOST THANKLESS MOVIE ROLES of 2008 -- a GROUP of SIBLINGS, IN-LAWS and DIVORCEES WHO SPENT CHRISTMAS DAY INSULTING EACH OTHER, WRESTLING ONE ANOTHER and PROJECTILE VOMITTING...

COME to THINK of IT, THAT FRUITCAKE IS STARTING to SOUND MORE APPETIZING ALREADY...

DUVALL: "Fer Kripe-sakes, we're both Oscar winners!!  Whose fruitcake do we do we have to eat to get out of this pile o' Christmas Crap?!?!?" 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 12:10pm

No! How dare you put this up here!

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Whadda ya mean, "how  dare you!" This looks just as putrid as any Bad Holiday Comedy from Christmases Past...

-------------

Posted By: Nasty Man
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 12:26pm

I don't know about the rest of our Forum Members (most of whom I expect, like myself, are dues-paying, actual VOTING Razzie Members) but I have had it up to HERE with the Pollyana-like perpetual "everything's a good movie" babblings of "moviewizeguy." 

And while we're on the subject, I'm also sick-and-tired of that "MigelAntilsu" guy who seems to have anointed himself our Forum Administrator or something -- THE NERVE!

Although both of these two frequent our Forum as predictably as child predators hanging around a bus station bathroom, I don't think either of them has even bothered to actually become a Member and put something behind their over-loud, over-opinionated,often insulting postings.

If these two bozo's don't know a bad movie when they see one, maybe it's time they found other Forums to peddle their pablum on! 

-------------
Everything SUX!

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 1:09pm
I agree this will be mediocre, but not nearly as bad as some of the other
Christmas movies in the past like Surviving Christmas and Deck the
Halls

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 3:33pm
I don't mind Christmas themed movie, but like Catholic movies, there's a certain way to go about making them, and they don't usually get it right.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 3:38pm

Case in point: why does everyone and everything in them have to be so overwhelmingly negative?  While their intent is probably showing "ironic" contrast to the happy holidays, it usually only serves to kill any chance of us sympathizing with the characters (thus in response to the above picture, never mind eating the fruitcake; chances are Duvall and Witherspoon ARE the fruitcakes). 

-------------

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 4:52pm

I will say this: If the theme fits the time of year, chances are it will get a big crowd.  As for my thoughts on this film, I don't know exactly what I'm getting yet.  As of right now it only has 3 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (1 Fresh, 2 Rotten).  The cruelest of those reviews is from Joshua Tyler of CinemaBlend.com (sounds like you guys, no offence).  The cast is in fact riddled with former Razzie nominees and Oscar winners and other famous people and the trailers were stupid enough to judge it (like Christmas with the Kranks gone awry).

And by the way, I'm not calling myself Forum Administrator, I'm just giving advice and comparing films side by side and making suggestions.  I will be applying for membership as soon as I've finalized my Razzie projection list (probably after my birthday on Saturday).

Posted By: moat
Date Posted: November 23 2008 at 7:53pm
Favreau could have had such a good year. Alas, it shall soon be tainted.

You follow up directing Iron Man with a lame role in this? Way to go Jon, you ruined Christmas. And to think I actually liked what you did with Elf.

Also,this is two years in a row that Vaughn has been involved with http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486583/ - tarnishing Christmas merriment .

Date Posted: November 24 2008 at 4:38am

Whatever happened to the great Christmas films like It's a Wonderful Life and The Miracle on 34th Street?  Why can't today's films equal the quality and inspiration that these films had?

Posted By: tomsmo35
Date Posted: November 24 2008 at 5:47am
Christmas Vacation was also a great one.

Posted By: Vega six
Date Posted: November 24 2008 at 7:13am
I liked -- no LOVED -- the trailer for this movie. Stop being grinches, and just enjoy this movie, man!!   

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: November 24 2008 at 9:42am

That's what I thought when I saw the trailer (see below). Vince Vaughn needs to stick to R-rated comedies like "Old School" and "Wedding Crashers," and leave the family films to The Rock. 

Originally posted by moat

Also,this is two years in a row that Vaughn has been involved with http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486583/ - tarnishing Christmas merriment .

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: The Island Of Dr. Moreau '96

Date Posted: November 24 2008 at 4:19pm

I too would like to know why today's holiday movies stink. It seems these days, all Christmas movies are about how much people hate spending time with their families, rather than what magic the holiday once brought to people's lives. But I guess it's people's outlook on the holiday and how it has been all but killed by commericalism. These days it's more "you have 15 more shopping days until Christmas" than "peace on earth and good will towards mankind". I'll admit, I'm a sucker for "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", but these current day Christmas movies are pale in comparison. If I had a Christmas wish for Hollywood, it would be to go back to the old days of original, good quality, inspirational holiday movies, rather than families complaining about having to suffer through spending a day or two together.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: CayugaLakeGuy
Date Posted: November 28 2008 at 12:23am
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Whatever happened to the great Christmas films
like It's a Wonderful Life and The Miracle on 34th Street?  Why can't today's
films equal the quality and inspiration that these films had?

One word: "WRITERS"

Posted By: tomsmo35
Date Posted: November 29 2008 at 4:44am

Entertainment Weekly has revealed their 20 Worst Holiday Films you can view by clicking this  http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20163370,00.html?iid=top25-2 0081129-20+worst+holiday+movies - LINK .

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20163370,00.html?iid=top25-20081129-20+worst+holiday+movies -  

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2008 at 10:37am

Yep, those are 20 reasons why holiday movies have sucked over the past few years.

Notice how Ben Affeck was on the list more than once... 

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: November 29 2008 at 4:27pm

People tend to spend a lot of time these days whining about the commericalism of the holidays which probably inspires the folks in Hollywood to conclude that cynicism sells. Evenutally they'll figure out that films like Bad Santa and Four Christmases are crap nobody wants. Meanwhile, we are blessed with the fact that movies like It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street exist. (But don't forget that neither of these films were commerical or critical successes originally). Yes, even Christmas Vacation  is on my annual watch list... a guilty pleasure perhaps, but always good for a few chuckles. Let me toss out another movie that I watch this time of year annually: It isn't a holiday movie per se, but I think it speaks to themes that represent what this time of year is supposed to be about...Pleasantville.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Having recently viewed an expurgated version of it on Comedy Central, I'd have to disagree with you on BAD SANTA. Yes, it was crass and sick -- But I also thought it hit its comic targets more often than most recent attempts at comedy. And the idea of creepy Billy Bob Thornton as a department store Santa was inherently hilarious... 

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: CayugaLakeGuy
Date Posted: November 30 2008 at 12:45am
They left out DIE HARD 2 (though arguably it is not ABOUT Xmas).

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: November 30 2008 at 1:48am

Head Razz, we'll have to agree to disagree on Bad Santa. I'll agree with "crass and sick" and that was my impression of the entire film. I didn't find anything redeeming in it. But here are a couple more of the annual holiday "must see" treasures: A Christmas Story and Holiday Inn... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And I'll add another of my own personal, somewhat obscure holiday favorites: Barbara Stanwyck in the opriginal 1945  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037595/ - CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT , which airs on TCM 3 times this December, including Christmas Eve ( http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=611 - LINK ).

WARNING: The http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103961/ - 1992 TV movie  with the same title (directed by Ah-Nuld Schwarzeneggar) belongs on the Lumps of Coal list...

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: November 30 2008 at 6:34am

My jaw dropped when I saw "Black Christmas" on the top 20 Worst Holiday Movies list...until I read the reason, which is pretty fair, I think. But still...

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2008 at 7:12am

For most people, murder and Christmas shouldn't go hand-in-hand. After all, the holiday is supposed to be about the gift of life. "Black Christmas" is the polar opposite of that, hence not a favorite among fans of uplifting Christmas movies. Didn't you noticed all the protests and backlash that greeted the remake from a year or two ago? 

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2008 at 11:25am

I knew about it from the original but I thought the remake would just get released...I guess those people were still angry after 30 years.

Originally posted by Michaels

For most people, murder and Christmas shouldn't go hand-in-hand. After all, the holiday is supposed to be about the gift of life. "Black Christmas" is the polar opposite of that, hence not a favorite among fans of uplifting Christmas movies. Didn't you noticed all the protests and backlash that greeted the remake from a year or two ago? 

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2008 at 4:41pm
My sister went to see "Four Christmases" tonight. I expect a full report from her tomorrow.

Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 12:40pm

This morning on the radio, some guy saw this movie and said it was hilarious.  He also said "the critics ripped it apart because they lack concept of emotion".

Date Posted: December 07 2008 at 4:23am

I'm not judging this one that hard, but I do agree that Christmas movies should be more uplifting (without being preachy or cheesy) rather than being about hating your family. 

-------------

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Whatever happened to the great Christmas films like It's a Wonderful Life and The Miracle on 34th Street?  Why can't today's films equal the quality and inspiration that these films had?

1) Actors can't act their way out of a paper bag...

2) I'd be surprised if the writers can read past the 2nd grade level...

3) Directors that think they're above the entire production team...

4) Editors can be easily replaced by retarded chimps to do a better job in the actual editing of the movie...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: January 03 2009 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Razzilla

1) Actors can't act their way out of a paper bag...

2) I'd be surprised if the writers can read past the 2nd grade level...

3) Directors that think they're above the entire production team...

4) Editors can be easily replaced by retarded chimps to do a better job in the actual editing of the movie...

So what you're sayign is that unlike the filmmakers of the 1930s, the filmmakers of today have no talent what-so-ever and are all about feeding their egos? Sounds about right.

You forgot #5) Studio heads who greenlight anything that has a proven formula for success in the past, no matter how insulting to people's intelligence it maybe.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 3:39pm
It was funny,but the endin'...it's not that is awful,but at that point you realize not even the lead characters are sympathetic people you can relate to.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 1:16pm
4/10.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 1:44pm
Funny enough, this is the 4th most ordered movie on Comcast's On Demand feature. "The Hangover" is #1 and ... Miguel, you might want to sit down and breathe ... "Twilight" is #2.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Print Page | Close Window