Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 30th RAZZIES Choices
Forum Name: BRIDE WARS
Forum Discription: Nominated for WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS / Candice Bergen
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3378
Printed Date: July 27 2014 at 11:40pm

Topic: A Truly Slick, SICK Chick Flick!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: A Truly Slick, SICK Chick Flick!
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 3:20am

JANUARY ISN'T WHEN HOLLYWOOD TENDS to RELEASE FILMS IT THINKS ARE AWARD CONTENDERS...UNLESS THEY THINK THEY'RE CONTENDERS for OUR AWARDS.

http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=330 - IS ARGUABLY a CLONE of 2008's BERRY FIRST RELEASE, 27 DRESSES...BUT WITH a BONE-HEADED  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074016/ -  PLOT TWIST: TWO LIFELONG FRIENDS INADVERTENTLY BOOK BOTH of THEIR WEDDINGS on the SAME DAY at the SAME HOTEL. AND, BEING "STUPID MOVIE CHARACTERS," THEY CANNOT WORK THINGS OUT WITHOUT RESORTING to CAT FIGHTS, BACK-BITING and PLAYING PUERILE PRANKS on ONE ANOTHER.

IT'S MOVIES LIKE THIS THAT MAKE the REST of the WORLD WONDER IF ALL AMERICANS ARE IDIOTS...

AND IF YOU'D LIKE to TOSS the IDIOTS WHO MADE BRIDE WARS a BOUQUET of YOUR INSULTS, FEEL FREE to DO SO BELOW... 

Guest #1: "Now I'm sorry I voted no on Proposition 8!"

Guest #2: "They're not lesbians...although, that might've made it more interesting to watch..."

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: yotypeocom
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 4:42am
This looks like another cheap-gimmick-no-script-and-lots-of-improvising-pulled-out-o f-nowhere comedy, starring cheap gimmicks queen Kate Hudson, and second try Anne Hathaway (I cant forget that lame Get Smart). Seems like Hathaway's going down the toilet, if she keeps doing this kind of garbage. We are already used to Hudson doing crap, and it seems like 2009 will be another awful year of Hudson gimmicks!

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 11:24am
I'm amazed that someone walked into the office of a studio head and pitched "Hey, what about a movie in which two best girlfriends have their weddings on the same day and instead of simply having a double wedding, they have to go into jealous rages about each other stealing the other's thunder" and the studio head replied "Genius! Here, have a couple million dollars to it happen!".

Posted By: dipitlow555
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 2:38pm
I'm confused. Didn't this movie JUST go into production a few months ago? Is it me or was this the quickest production making ever??

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 5:47pm

HeadRAZZ, you're going to be working hard http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=&date=2009-01-02&showweeks=5&p=.htm - this whole month figuring out which bad movie is indeed THE Worst of the Weak .  Usually it's obvious, but now you have to wade through all those trailers for what looks like all those dumb movies.  If I had a hat that fit my head, I'd take it off for you. . . .

As for this movie, the trailer just looked dumb, not to mentioned we're already drowning in mediocre wedding comedies with 27 Dresses, Made of Honor and What Happens in Vegas.

As for Anne Hathaway's career, remember, she also released the critically acclaimed art film, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rachel_getting_married/ - Rachel Getting Married  that's still in a few theatres. . . somewhere. . . you'll have to look to find one, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=rachelgettingmarried.htm - but it's been pulling in over $200,000 a week . . .

That makes two wedding films in a row for Hathaway.  I'm guessing that's one too many. . . .

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 5:57pm

Get this. . . Anne Hathaway, after starring as the White Queen in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, is starring in yet another wedding movie, http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1312219/ - The Fiance .  Based on the plot summary, I wonder if THAT movie must hit very close to home for her. 

That's THREE wedding movies in two years. 

Posted By: Movie Man
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 6:32pm
She also starred in "Brokeback Moountain" and got her carreer stared by those "Princess Diaries" movies. I always liked Anne Hathaway, but this looks like a wrong step of direction for her.

This also reminds me of another event. Last year "Dreamgirls" was nominated for an Oscar and the given reason that Eddie Murphy lost was because of, uh, a little film called "Norbit"

Now, with the Golden Globe awards just days days. Anne Hathaway got a nomination and this movie comes out.

Time will tell if the public was right with this as they were with predicting the "Norbit" fiasco. I still liked Eddie Murphy in "Dreamgirls" though.

Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 11:39pm

Anne is starting to go down because of dumb career choices, she shouldnt have gotten herself in the crap of GET SMART or BECOMING JANE... she is not funny at all. She was laughable in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA because that was a very good story and well told.

For Dipitlow555... yes, it seems like it took them 7 days to finish this garbage, it seemed to take FOOLS GOLD people more time to create their garbage than this one, and it's out in theaters way to soon too!

Date Posted: January 05 2009 at 2:23am

I guess Anne Hathaway learned nothing from Eddie Murphy's example. When you star in an Oscar-worthy preformance, if you want to win, you have to star in an equally worthy follow-up preformance before the voting is done. Murphy was nominated for "DreamGirls," but followed it up with "Norbit" -- and look where that got him. Hathaway is getting Oscar buzz for "Rachel Getting Married," but starring in "Bride Wars" might seriously hurt her chances of winning an Oscar.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: January 05 2009 at 7:04am

Anne Hathaway could win the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture / Drama, but she might not win the Oscar for Best Actress (controversy or not).  Sally Hawkins will be a major threat for the Oscar, and the only thing standing between Hathaway and the Golden Globe is Meryl Streep (who's a threat, but not that much of a threat).

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2009 at 12:42pm

I'd like Sally Hawkins to win the Oscar, too. But you never know with Meryl Streep as a major contender.

Anne Hathaway just ruined her chances with this piece of crap movie. 

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: January 06 2009 at 5:06am

The academy loves Meryl Streep... and I think she will win.

Anne Hathaway is far from winning anything, She might be just beginning to get in nominations, but surely not for Bride Wars...unless it's a Razzie!

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: January 06 2009 at 3:27pm

Also this week, we have The Unborn to look at...a horror flick produced by Michael Bay and featuring an international poster that people like to stare at...but not for the movie. 

Originally posted by cvcjr13

HeadRAZZ, you're going to be working hard http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=&date=2009-01-02&showweeks=5&p=.htm - this whole month figuring out which bad movie is indeed THE Worst of the Weak .  Usually it's obvious, but now you have to wade through all those trailers for what looks like all those dumb movies.  If I had a hat that fit my head, I'd take it off for you. . . .

-------------

Posted By: Mrs. Magnatech
Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:40pm

I've seen the trailer for this crap about 300 times. I can now quote all the "funny" lines verbatim!

"Your wedding better watch it!"

Date Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:58pm

Here's this movie if it had LOGIC behind it...

FADE IN:

Hudson: So, my wedding will be on (insert random date here).

Hathaway: But my wedding is on that day, too.

(Pause).

Hathaway: Oh, I know, let's have a double wedding so we can celebrate this important life changing event together!

Hudson: Great idea! let's do that!

FADE TO BLACK.

Boom...the most high-profile short film ever made.

-------------

Posted By: kelemenmarc
Date Posted: January 09 2009 at 10:35pm
I really hope, Anne Hathaway not nominated the Razzie, please no, she's a great actress, please deserved next year kate hudson!!!!

-------------
FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: January 10 2009 at 5:03am

I recently saw a piece on Nightline (or something that I'm forced to watch) that chick flicks are FINALLY "in"... according to women anyway. Hopefully this movie will be the end of all that. Kate Hudson is pretty bad. She keeps reminding me of that damn Goldie Hawn chick. It's terrible.

I wish we could post pictures here sometimes - I go to this other website, not movie related, where we were asked to MS Paint a movie in 3 frames. (For example, one guy did Terminator 2 - Some naked dude, then a guy in a leather jacket with a gun, then a melting robot.) Mine was "Every chick flick ever made" -

1) A girl thinking "I want this guy and the perfect wedding"

2) "Oh no, I've fallen down, and it's funny somehow"

3) "Everybody's crying and happy"

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:16am

Here's a YouTube news clip about the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0ILoTyMUY - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0ILoTyMUY

As they said, the blame is going squarely on Hudson's shoulders (she helped produce it, too). And they agree that this might hurt Hathaway's chances of winning the Oscar for "Rachael's Getting Married", same as "Norbit" ruined Eddie Murphy's chances.

Posted By: movieluver
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 9:10pm

KATE HUDSON is only in sucky films (um... How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days -- or shhould it have been called How to Undergo Torture in 90 Minutes) and let's not get started on Raising Helen.

Anne Hathaway used to be one of my favourite actresses when I was 10-ish. Princess Diaries, Devil Wears Prada showcased her "talent." Yet Get Smart and Becoming Jane were both TERRIBLE.

So it's no suprise, two lazy choices together one a film makes you wish marriage was never invented...

-------------
once a movie lover, always a movie lover

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:21am
I prefer the older Anne Hathaway, for reasons that should be fairly obvious. But yea, she can really go anywhere with her career at this point, and for the most part, she's making bad choices.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:44am

It's amazing how a pair of female writers can stereotype female characters so badly.  It's as if they WANT to set the woman's freedom movement back as far as possible by coming up with something like this that would have idiots believe all women are stupid to the extreme. 

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:52am
Yea. I think that right now, it's best if all the writing is left to Tina Fey. I once heard that she wrote a joke that DIDN'T involve the lead actress falling down.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 7:21am

Hathaway was good in Princess Diaries, but in this the script is PURE CRAP, pointless and shameless.... not much anyone can do, both leading characters are for us to HATE..

I think two strangers competing for a wedding would have been much funnier..

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:09am
They're supposed to be best friends, I believe, not strangers. And if I'm wrong about that, ummm... that's probably a good thing.

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: March 11 2009 at 4:49pm

I went out and saw this film with my 13-year old sister, and I was extremely disappointed with this movie. I only went to see this with my 13 year old sister because I love her and should respect her choices on what to see.

Bride Wars

And no offense, Anne Hathaway is a good actress. But this was a bad choice she made to be in this movie. Anyone who hasn't seen this movie, DON'T go see it. See some of these other movies with Anne, like Brokeback Mountain, The Devil Wears Prada, or Rachel Getting Married.

Rachel Getting Married

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: March 27 2009 at 5:18pm
Bride Wars comes out on DVD April 28, so it will most likely look like it will be named Worst New Movie on DVD of April 28.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: March 28 2009 at 1:54am
Wow... Turn around in about a month and a half between theater to DVD? Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but it seems like they're really looking to bury that one.

Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 2:14pm
With $58.7 million at the domestic Box Office, this actually did surpass what cost to make...  

-------------

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: April 30 2009 at 3:10pm
Just watched this, while I haven't seen many of the films under heated
discussion for 2009, I can still see me assembling my "Worst of the Year
List" and under the #9 spot I can see Bride Wars rotting like an old
cake you forgot to throw out from Valentine's Day.

The alleged "heroes" of the story are so immature and stupid, that I never
believed anyone with the brain power equivalent to theirs could ever
become a lawyer or teacher. If I was a parent, I wouldn't want my kid to
be within 50 yards of Emma(teacher), let alone teaching him or her.
In the movie, Emma, the lawyer, gets fired from her job when she acts up
during a meeting. What I want to know is, how did she get in that spot in
the first place.

Now to the story: it's awful. Liv and Emma recently get engaged to the
supposed men of their dreams, and so they consult a wedding planner to
book their wedding. Now for these women, both have to have their
wedding at the Plaza Hotel because of nostalgic memories and it has
to be in June for reasons not stated. They get their dates booked and are
set to design their wedding. Later they receive a call saying their dates
accidentally got booked on the same day, and the next available June
date is three years from now. So instead of behaving like the normal,
close best friends the movie set them up to be, they immediately become
worst enemies and plot to sabotage each other's wedding.

I know what you're thinking: Why can't they have a double-wedding, or
one of them just choose a date other than June? Well the answer to that
question is that due to a situation as contrived as this, the characters
don't know how to behave rationally and begin acting like 5 year olds. By
the end of the movie, we see that there are two separate rooms being
reserved for the two ceremonies. So my question is what was the point of
them fighting and do all those terrible things to each other? Were they
mad that they couldn't become each other's maids of honors? None of
those ideas are answered because a movie like Bride Wars is so
bankrupt of ideas that it can't even come up with cliches to make a plot
even consistent.

If you saw Rachel Getting Married, you know Anne Hathaway is
capable of doing performances of exquisite complexity. Clearly she was
looking at this one thinking it as an opportunity to do some light,
frivolous entertainment, but the next time she decides to do something of
that nature, I hope she keeps doing films like The Devil Wears Prada
and Get Smart. I'm sure she is on her climb to greatness, and that
this will just be a smudge on her otherwise respectable resume.

As for Kate Hudson, she better do another Almost Famous if she
wants to be salvaged from her losing streak.

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by movieman

I know what you're thinking: Why can't they have a double-wedding, or
one of them just choose a date other than June? Well the answer to that
question is that due to a situation as contrived as this, the characters
don't know how to behave rationally and begin acting like 5 year olds. By
the end of the movie, we see that there are two separate rooms being
reserved for the two ceremonies. So my question is what was the point of
them fighting and do all those terrible things to each other? Were they
mad that they couldn't become each other's maids of honors? None of those ideas are answered because a movie like Bride Wars is so
bankrupt of ideas that it can't even come up with cliches to make a plot
even consistent.

Yes, when a single question destorys the entire logic of your movie, you have a weak story on your hands. The real question is why didn't Hathaway or Hudson ask that question while reading the script? Or were they too busy accepting any job offered to them because their rents were due?

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:30pm
It probably was in her contract. Sometimes I wonder if the roles that stars take have more to do with being obligated to a studio than because they really do or don't want to do a script. The longer you're in Hollywood, the better your options become. You'd think Anne Hathaway was big enough at this point, but soon enough, I suppose.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: May 08 2009 at 4:49am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

It probably was in her contract. Sometimes I wonder if the roles that stars take have more to do with being obligated to a studio than because they really do or don't want to do a script. The longer you're in Hollywood, the better your options become. You'd think Anne Hathaway was big enough at this point, but soon enough, I suppose.

I think this movie was what she had to agree to to get cast in "Get Smart" ... She gets a big budget film, and then has to slog through some chick flick...

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Date Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:49am
Very possible. I just wish they'd go back to the idea that I pitched... She gets to do any movie she wants, but then has to do a movie with just me and her making out for 2 hours.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: May 08 2009 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Very possible. I just wish they'd go back to the idea that I pitched... She gets to do any movie she wants, but then has to do a movie with just me and her making out for 2 hours.

Somehow, I think she might have a small problem with that.... I dunno.

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 10:03pm
This film has been suggested for about 3 penalties. What do you think are the chances it will get nominated?

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Date Posted: January 23 2010 at 10:53pm
Honestly, it looked bad enough to deserve a lot of nods and Razzies, but it doubtfully will pull through due to how early in the year it was released. Dragon Ball and Street Fighter might also escape a lot of due criticism for just that reason.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 7:42am
Since it was released in the very beginning of last year, people might not remember this movie. However, it has been playing on HBO, so that might remind them. Overall, the movie should get (dis)honorable Razzie mention since it has a HUGE plot in the form the two leads never hearding of a double wedding, which would have solved their problem within the first 30 seconds of the movie.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 10:33am
You wan'na hear somethin'funny? My sister said that this and http://razzies.com/forum/more-2008-movie-forums-listed-alphabetically-27-dresses_forum252.html - were 2 of her favorite movies. Then,I showed her the reviews (includin'the ones that said that this was a rip-off of the other one)and one week later,she watched this a 2nd time,and decided she didn't like it anymore!!  

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 11:46am

Critics have shown her the error of those two movies' ways. The world of romance is bad enough because of America's recent hike in divorces and breakups. When I read about all these rom/com bombs and chick flicks that lick (beep), I grow more distant from the world of dating.

JUU BAN

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 11:54am
Good. Now please do us all a favor and increase your font size.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: March 24 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

Critics have shown her the error of those two movies' ways. The world of romance is bad enough because of America's recent hike in divorces and breakups. When I read about all these rom/com bombs and chick flicks that lick (beep), I grow more distant from the world of dating.
You know?You should understand that it's fiction.

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: March 24 2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Vits

[QUOTE=GTAHater767]
You know?You should understand that it's fiction.
From what I read, after 30 years of rom-coms like these, men and women THINK that's what real love is like. For some people, what they see on the big screen is what they are meant to think love is suppose to be like and they can't tell the difference.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 2:41pm
I gave this 1/10 (I could've give it 0).  

A lot of you didn't gave it a chance and said the premise was stupid because: 

1)Real women wouldn't fight like that.  

2)It seems they never heard of a double wedding.  

They explain why they don't want a double wedding. People who have been best friends since childhood do have fights, even as big as they show here, because of little comments and conflicts that build up to anger. They also showed that in SUPERBAD -- except that movie was funny.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 2:58pm
Maybe you should have given it the 0!  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 5:29pm
Why did you nominate Candice Bergen for this? Her character was barely in it. I don't mean screen-time --I mean, she was just there talking...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Bergen has fallen into a habit of doing the exact same "stuffy/snooty society dame" schtick in movie after movie, and I guess our Voting Members wanted to call her on it. And her total screen time in this film was at least 10 minutes, possibly as much as 15...  

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2010 at 6:48pm
Fall from grace perhaps?  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window