Print Page | Close Window

Rise, You Lycans...Whatever You Are!

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: UNDERWORLD: RISE OF THE LYCANS
Forum Discription: Is It Just Us, or Does "Underworld" Sound Like a Place to Buy a Push-Up Bra??
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3428
Printed Date: November 28 2014 at 11:29am

Topic: Rise, You Lycans...Whatever You Are!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Rise, You Lycans...Whatever You Are!
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 1:42am

THEY DIDN'T HAVE KATE BECKINSALE...

THEY DIDN'T HAVE the ORIGINAL DIRECTOR...

AND THEY DIDN'T ACTUALLY HAVE ANY REASON NOT to GO STRAIGHT-to-DVD...

SO NATURALLY, THIS ONE IS DEBUTED in THEATRES...BEFORE QUICKLY SKEDADDLING to DVD, in a MATTER of WEEKS.

WE'RE TEMPTED to GO for the OBVIOUS JOKE and SAY THIS LATEST WEREWOLF MOVIE 'BITES." BUT WE'D NEVER SINK SO LOW.

YOU, HOWEVER, MAY SINK as LOW as YOU WISH in RAGGING on http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=334 - UNDERWORLD: RISE of the LYCANS (aka http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0834001/movieconnections - UNDERWORLD 3 ).

GO AHEAD, SINK YOUR TEETH INTO IT...

Not Actually Kate Beckinsale, but an Incredible Simulation!

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: January 20 2009 at 4:35am
Oh, this one's gonna get a critical beatdown, I imagine. The acting is just unbearable (lots of screaming, Rhona Mitra ruining her chances of being a next big thing, Bill Nighy following in Samuel L. Jackson's footsteps), the TV spots are lifeless, prequels rarely work (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning) and, yes, it just screams direct-to-video. Why couldn't Lionsgate pick this up; this looks like it came from their workhouse factory.

By the way, HeadRAZZ, when are you putting up the releases of 2009?

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: January 20 2009 at 5:17am
Poor Rhona Mitra has become Kate Beckinsale's understudy. Everyone loves Kate as an action heroine, but she no longer want anything to do with that genre. So now Rhona has to be called upon when the movie is about a butt-kicking British brunette. And this isn't by the same director, so who knows how badly that will effect the film. The trailer doesn't excite me at all. This one is straight to DVD worthy indeed.

Posted By: yotypeocom
Date Posted: January 20 2009 at 8:52am
The bad thing about it is that it will prob see blu ray before other worthy titles... taking space and time for a lousy prequel of an already garbage movie nobody asked for!

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: January 22 2009 at 2:42pm
Right now, every critic who has seen it has given it a positive review,
granted, it's bound to go down, but this good early word-of-the-mouth
could mean it isn't so bad after all.

Date Posted: January 23 2009 at 1:38am
To answer the question in the forum header, no, "Underworld" doesn't sound like a shop to buy push-up bras in. It sounds more like a night club where one would find lots of drugs hidden under the bar stools.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: January 24 2009 at 2:15pm

Since essentially no one bothered showing up for the other entries in the series, is anyone going to care how a largely pointless war began in the first place?  Especially one beginning in a cliched manner as can clearly be evidenced by the trailers? 

Technically, this could also be classified as Worst Knock-Off if it becomes eligible for any awards, since this and the rest of the series are essentially stealing from The Real Ghostbusters' episode No One Comes to Lupusville, which presented the vampire-werewolf battle storyline in a far more entertaining and genuinely scary way ("I'm picking up PKE readings in front of us...and to the right...and to the left...and behind us...Gentlemen, we're surrounded...")("Turnip?"  "Yes, it is.").   

Date Posted: January 24 2009 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by wetbandit82

Technically, this could also be classified as Worst Knock-Off if it becomes eligible for any awards, since this and the rest of the series are essentially stealing from The Real Ghostbusters' episode No One Comes to Lupusville, which presented the vampire-werewolf battle storyline in a far more entertaining and genuinely scary way ("I'm picking up PKE readings in front of us...and to the right...and to the left...and behind us...Gentlemen, we're surrounded...")("Turnip?"  "Yes, it is.").   

I guess that means it is true what they say, there aren't any new stories left, just ways to retell the ones that we already have. It's just that some retellings are worse than others.

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: January 24 2009 at 5:20pm
To be fair, Underworld has experienced some minor success and has some following. Now, I can't really explain why, but I've liked them up until now. I saw U3 on Friday, set my expectations pretty low, and it was ya know... mediocre. The thing that always bugged me about Underworld was that they were always using guns to fight, even though guns didn't really seem to have an effect on anything, and those have been taken out for this one. The sword fighting left a bit to be desired, but there were no pointless guns. All in all, it was pretty blah, as I expected. There are definitely worse movies out there, at least. But one thing that Underworld will always have going for it, Bill Nighy is the coolest, most prototypical vampire out there, and he has the perfect mannerisms for it. I felt the costumes in general for the vampires at least were pretty cool.

Date Posted: January 25 2009 at 11:58pm

And if a third movie wasn't bad enough, word has it a TV series is in the works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320691/ - Underworld director http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936482/ - Len Wiseman is set to downsize his werewolf versus vampire movie franchise by turning it into a TV drama.

The director has just released Underworld: Rise of The Lycans in America, and he admits he has small-screen plans for the future.

Wiseman, who met and fell for his wife http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000295/ - Kate Beckinsale on the first http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320691/ - Underworld film, tells BloodyDisgusting.com, "There's a lot of talk about a television series and I'm looking into that. If I could be very involved... I'd be very interested in that.

"We had always hoped to do a trilogy, and now that we've completed that, it's kind of open."

The first two movies were okay, but a TV series? I know a TV series based on "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" was in the works, but I don't think it ever got off the ground. Successful movie spin-off series like "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and "M*A*S*H" only come once in a lifetime.

Date Posted: January 26 2009 at 3:04am
Yea, I could see where they could make a TV series around Underworld. I just don't see how they could make it "not $|-|!+" Even if you like Underworld, as I do, your patience is pretty much on empty at this point.

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 2:51pm
I will admit, with some reluctance, that I saw all three of the Underworlds, in the theater, on opening day. I will also admit, with equal reluctance, that I actually enjoyed the first two. They were kinda fun, in a stupid lose yourself in the action sort of way, the type of movie that one can watch with a stupid grin on their face, and just sort of let the mind roam. That, and they had Kate Beckinsale, and if that isn't enough to get a straight guy interested, perhaps you should check to make sure you're not blind.

The problem with this third one is, it retreads material that was covered sufficiently in a very brief flash back in one of the previous films. The movie was entirely unnecessary, and took out one of the best parts of the originals (once again, I'm talking about Kate... or Scott Speedman, for the ladies out there.) Where are the fun guns, and flashy action? Gone. Where is the small bit of heart that was injected into the first movies? Gone.

All that is left is an empty husk of a movie, tossed out to the remaining fans of this series, like festering meat to a rabid dog. It was a slap on the face. It was a tired retread of the Romeo and Juliet story (or Pyramus and Thisbe, for those that want to point out that Romeo and Juliet was a retread of old territory as well...) Sure, this is what the series was in a nutshell, anyway, but much like the ill-fated Halloween III: Season of the Witch, once you take away the main characters, the series can not sustain itself. One can only hope that Hollywood has learned its lesson with this one, and will let the Lycans die finally.

(First post here by the way, be gentle :-P )

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 5:47pm
I agree, the first two were fun, but there was no point for this one since the flashbacks in the first two told how the war between vampires and lycans began. Oh why, Kate Beckinsale, why did you have to leave action movies? Why couldn't you stay for one last movie so we could find out what happens after "Underworld 2"? Instead, we get this crap. SIGH!

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 10:26pm
Honestly, if this is the crap that they had planned, perhaps it is a good thing that Kate bailed on it. I'd hate to have her lend her body...er... I mean talents to this schlock.

Date Posted: March 03 2009 at 12:57pm
Doing this movie would only have hurt her career, while Rhona Mithra has far less name recognition, and is just as hot. So it gives her another chance to show herself off, and it gave Michael Sheen a role that was a little more challenging than that silly Frost/Nixon movie. Talk about an easy role.

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 12:15am
I don't know if I would say that Rhona is just as hot as Kate, but she is close. Either way, movies like this are why she may never get the recognition she might deserve...

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:01am
Kate is hotter than Rhona, and her future in movies looks slightly brighter, too. Rhona will be going nowhere fast if she keeps on being Kate's understudy for action roles she turned down.

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:24am
Rhona needs to do something to set herself apart from the crowd...And indeed, playing second choice is not going to get her anything. I just have no idea what she could do to rise above the mediocrity...

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:51pm
Anyone remember back in Hollowman when Ol Dirty Bacon snuck in on that girl taking a shower or whatever she was doing? That was Rhona. And DAMN she looked hot back in that role.

Date Posted: March 04 2009 at 3:26pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Anyone remember back in Hollowman when Ol Dirty Bacon snuck in on that girl taking a shower or whatever she was doing? That was Rhona. And DAMN she looked hot back in that role.

Oh yes, she did. And judging by how her career has been since, she should have stuck to those non-speaking T&A roles. Now she just has talking T&A roles with some ass kicking on the side. Not that big of a career boost.

Date Posted: March 05 2009 at 12:42am
Wait, are you trying to tell me, that there was actually a reason to watch Hollowman? I thought pretty much the entire thing was a waste of film, that was not even worth sitting through...

I mean it made my brain hurt... I must have missed Rhona in the mix...

Date Posted: March 05 2009 at 9:04am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Wait, are you trying to tell me, that there was actually a reason to watch Hollowman? I thought pretty much the entire thing was a waste of film, that was not even worth sitting through...

I mean it made my brain hurt... I must have missed Rhona in the mix...

A reason to "watch" "Hollowman"? No, there's isn't one. There are reasons to FAST FOWARD through it though, like Rhona's scenes and the scene of Elizabeth Shue in her underwear while in bed. Other than that, there's no reason to "watch".

PS: There was a DVD sequel to "Hollowman", starring Christian Slater. Gotta love H-Wood's logic: remake perfectly good movies that are fine the way they are, and make low budget sequels to movies that did "okay" at the box office for DVD only.

Date Posted: March 05 2009 at 10:42am
Ok, so I don't have to make my brain hurt again... maybe the scenes are all on YouTube or something, and I can save myself all kinds of pain.

And as far as direct to DVD sequels, we should be glad that they are direct to DVD. How many crappy sequels end up hitting the Big screen, when a Direct to DVD sequel would have worked so much better? I cite the original reason for this discussion... Underworld 3 should have been direct to DVD, too.

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: March 15 2009 at 5:29pm
There have been many sequels released in theaters that have ended up being crappy. And I also agree that Underworld 3 should have been direct to DVD.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:25am
I saw recently saw U3. I was never a fan in the first place, but I found the second entertaining enough. The first was kinda uninteresting with an uninteresting story. I never cared for the story that much, and why they hate them and why she loved him, but I liked the action scenes. This film was better than the first film, but not better tha the second. It's entertaining enough, with some horrible CGI werewolves, but it's not bad for a threequal with none of the protagonists returning. Since I never appreciated Romeo and Juliet as its own story, I'm surprised to say I enjoyed the story in this film. Overall, this was entertaining for what it's worth, if not completely uneccessary. 6/10

Posted By: MaryJ
Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 12:29pm
I loved the underworld series, and this was my least favorite of the 3, but I still had a great time watching it!

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: April 23 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by MaryJ

I loved the underworld series, and this was my least favorite of the 3, but I still had a great time watching it!

It's a guilty pleasure; the second one was the "best".

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: September 16 2012 at 1:12pm
Skip to 06:12.

[TUBE]5ISobo7jFns[/TUBE]

Any thoughts?

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window