Print Page | Close Window

...Why BOTHER to Knock It??

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: THE UNINVITED
Forum Discription: ...and the UNwelcome!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3443
Printed Date: September 23 2014 at 7:40am

Topic: ...Why BOTHER to Knock It??
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: ...Why BOTHER to Knock It??
Date Posted: January 25 2009 at 4:37am

THE FIRST MONTH of 2009 WASN'T EVEN OVER YET, and ALREADY WE HAD MULTIPLE LAME-O HORROR FILMS -- PROMPTING US to PLEAD: "PLEASE, HOLLYWOOD -- MAKE IT STOP!"

LIKE THE BASTARD CHILD RESULTING from an UNHOLY "THREE-WAY" BETWEEN  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095687/ - MY STEPMOTHER IS AN ALIEN , a SLASHER FILM and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042332/ - CINDERELLA , http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=336 - THE UNINVITED IS 100% DERIVATIVE of OTHER, BETTER MOVIES. AND IT REPEATEDLY RESORTS to THAT HOARY OLD B-HORROR MOVIE CLICHE' of NERVE-JANGLINGLY OVER-LOUD SOUND EFFECTS and MUSIC STINGS. 

P.S.  ANOTHER GRUDGE WE HAVE AGAINST THIS FILM IS THAT IT SHARES ITS TITLE with ONE of the BEST SPOOKY MOVIES EVER MADE. MAY WE SUGGEST THAT, RATHER THAN BLOW TEN BUX to SEE THIS BLOW-FEST, YOU SEEK OUT a http://www.amazon.com/Uninvited-Ray-Milland/dp/6302503493/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1232933050&sr=8-3 - VHS COPY of 1944's FAR SUPERIOR http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037415/ - THE UNIVITED , WHICH WE CONSIDER ONE of the THREE MOST GOOSE-BUMP-INDUCING GHOST MOVIES of ALL TIME...

BANKS: "When you've been in as many bad movies in one year as I have, you'll learn to ignore the reviews and just cash your paychecks..."

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: January 25 2009 at 9:31am

If you think this movie sharing the title of a good one is bad, beware of "Push" (aka "Jumper 2"). The sci-fi rip-off shares its name with an independent movie that currently getting alot of buzz at Sundance.

Oh boy, when good and bad movies share the same title, it's not a good thing.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I am reminded of our 1997 Worst Picture "winner" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119925/ - THE POSTMAN , which shared its title with a  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110877/awards - 1994 Oscar winning Italian film that was actually quite good.

When two disparate movies share the same title, it's alwaze a source of confusion... 

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: January 26 2009 at 3:10pm

If they had any sense, they would have called it "The Un-necessary".  Every time I bring this film up in a conversation, people keep getting this film confused with "The Unborn."  They're both horror films, they both share the same prefix, they both involve a dead relation, and they both came out in the same month... 

I'll give you my complete similarity once I see it. 

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 1:08pm
I had a feeling this would be good, mostly because of the great leads and I'm right so far because the reviews are coming in in RT and so far there are two positive reviews. Grant it, it's only 2 and maybe the negatives will flow in later but whatever. I think this'll be good. I just love the leads.

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:53pm
Hahaha... Listen to Miguel make cynical puns at The Uninvited's expense. Such A-holes we are.

Face it, Hollywood needs a good punch in the junk. We've really gotta stop going to movies like this.

And HeadRazz, at least when the Italian Il Postino was out, we were calling it that, rather than the Postman.

Speaking of The Postman, that's the movie that has fueled my Costner vendetta. I came back to my dorm in college and my roommate was watching it. I couldn't really find an excuse to leave, but yea... That is one movie that is TRULY as bad as everyone said it was.

Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:54pm
Also, yea, how many frickin movies IS Banks gonna be in this year? I thought I counted like 8 that she was in in '08.

Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 11:58pm
She's a great actress so it doesn't matter.

Date Posted: January 29 2009 at 12:42am

Then she needs to make sure her agent gets her "great" scripts, instead of this Asian Horror remake stuff.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: January 29 2009 at 8:22am

There's probably a reason all of these above average stars are in this movie. Right now, this film is doing quite well with the critics so I would suggest you to stop bashing this movie because it's "another stupid, pointless Asian remake."

Sometimes, there are good horror remakes and this is one of them.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2009 at 11:46am

Maybe the "reason" is because they all had their rent due, and they needed money fast, so they agreed to the first script that came their way...namely, this.

And unless a H-Wood remake surpasses the original Asian version on every level, we won't stop bashing them.

[/QUOTE] There's probably a reason all of these above average stars are in this movie. Right now, this film is doing quite well with the critics so I would suggest you to stop bashing this movie because it's "another stupid, pointless Asian remake." Sometimes, there are good horror remakes and this is one of them.[/QUOTE]

-------------

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: January 29 2009 at 12:13pm
I think Elizabeth Banks is one of the better actresses out there, and if she
sticks with some good material I think she could be an A-list celebrity.

Date Posted: January 29 2009 at 11:38pm

Why would you need a remake to be better than the original to appreciate it? Rarely are remakes any better than their originals so you might as well have bashed "The Ring" and "The Grudge" a few years ago. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I think you just inadvertently made our point -- "Rarely are remakes any better than their originals." 

If you can't improve on someone else's already existant film, then fer kripesakes DON'T bother re-making it! 

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2009 at 1:20am

Moviewizeguy just explained right there why we don't like remakes, they are almost never better than the originals. I wasn't around this forum when the "Grudge" came out, but I have a feeling it was mentioned here anyway. "The Ring" was the first of the J-Horror remake at the time, so it's hard to bash the trend when it's first coming into play. If you ask us, until your remake will be superior to the original, why bother? Just subtitle the original and save yourself money. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2009 at 2:15am

"Just subtitle the original and save yourself money."

But reading is so HAAAAAAAAARD. But seriously, the Asian horror remake trend has continued because it's an easy paycheck for these guys. The economy is struggling now, and they need to keep making their millions anyway they can because they have boat payments to make, while we sweat everyday wondering whether we're going to be at work the next day. Hollywood is out of ideas, and they think they need to keep 800 movies in the theaters at any given time, so we're just bombarded with sheer volume. The fact of the matter is, they keep remaking Asian horror movies because Japan and Korea have gotten good at coming up with a little twist to make things scary - and more than likely, they picked it up from old Shamalamadingdong movies - and instead of the studio heads deciding to come up with an original idea, or redistributing someone else's movie, which eats into their profits, they just remake a recently made movie. It's just greed breeding more crap, kiddo, don't eat it.

On a brighter note, I'm pretty happy to be meeting up with my folks tonight to go see The Wrestler, which as I understand it, is a remake of a movie about a video game where the zombies come to life as ghosts and start scaring people to death.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: January 30 2009 at 9:54am

But then you make it sound easy to smuggle in foreign DVDs that don't match the regions in the U.S. and the only way to watch some originals is to download it online illegally. But then again, there was "The Departed," a remake of another Japanese movie that won the Oscar for Best Picture. What do you have to say about that? Remakes are made to make American audiences know about these originals. I didn't even know "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" so if "Disturbia" was never made, I wouldn't have ever known.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Although it was a credible little pot-boiler, some would argue http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486822/ - DISTURBIA was more of a rip-off than a remake of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/ - REAR WINDOW (which has alwaze been my personal favorite among Hitchcock's movies). But your admitting you didn't realize the connection between the two films kinda undermines your cred as a savvy movie-goer...

Originally posted by Michaels

Moviewizeguy just explained right there why we don't like remakes, they are almost never better than the originals. I wasn't around this forum when the "Grudge" came out, but I have a feeling it was mentioned here anyway. "The Ring" was the first of the J-Horror remake at the time, so it's hard to bash the trend when it's first coming into play. If you ask us, until your remake will be superior to the original, why bother? Just subtitle the original and save yourself money. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2009 at 5:50pm

Actually, "The Departed" was based on a CHINESE movie. And as we have already stated in another discussion, 99 out of 100 times, remakes are never better than the original. "The Departed" falls under that 1%. Oh, and anyone who didn't realize "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" is because you just plain didn't see "Rear Window".

Originally posted by moviewizguy

But then again, there was "The Departed," a remake of another Japanese movie that won the Oscar for Best Picture. What do you have to say about that? Remakes are made to make American audiences know about these originals. I didn't even know "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" so if "Disturbia" was never made, I wouldn't have ever known.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2009 at 2:28pm

Actually, "The Departed" was based on a CHINESE movie. And as we have already stated in another discussion, 99 out of 100 times, remakes are never better than the original. "The Departed" falls under that 1%. Oh, and anyone who didn't realize "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" is because you just plain didn't see "Rear Window".

You do realize I'm still in my teen years, right?

Date Posted: February 01 2009 at 3:37am

You do realize I'm still in my teen years, right?

After reading most of your posts, yeah, I figured that. I'm in my late 20s and Turner Classic Movies is among my favorite TV channels.

Date Posted: February 01 2009 at 6:08am

After reading most of your posts, yeah, I figured that. I'm in my late 20s and Turner Classic Movies is among my favorite TV channels.

I'm just saying it's one of the better remakes released these days. Dreamworks do good remakes, starting with The Ring and Disturbia. This movie is getting a lot of surprised reactions from people because they think it would be bad but it turns out to be 100 times better than The Unborn but this movie still didn't manage to make as much as that film...which is pretty sad.

Date Posted: February 01 2009 at 7:25am
I heard that in an interview, the director of the movie said he wasn't inspired
by Hitchcock to make Disturbia, but the story of Martha Stewart going under
house-arrest. Now that does not make the slightest bit of sense, but
whatever.

Date Posted: February 01 2009 at 9:17am

And yet, the man who wrote the original novel that "Rear Window" was based on IS suing Dreamworks over "Disturbia," claming it is a very thinly-veiled version of his story, that they didn't have legal premission from him to adapt it into another movie. 

Originally posted by movieman

whatever.

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 8:06am

It makes perfect sense to me. I have a feeling a lot of filmmakers these days are more influenced by celebrity antics than their predecessor's attempt to make something artful and thought provoking.

whatever.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 10:03am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

It makes perfect sense to me. I have a feeling a lot
of filmmakers these days are more influenced by celebrity antics than their
predecessor's attempt to make something artful and thought
provoking.

Yes, but unless Martha Stewart found out one of her neighbors were serial
killers, I don't see what that has to do with anything. The Hitchcock movie
clearly had more inspiration for the movie than she did.

Date Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:56pm

Yes, but unless Martha Stewart found out one of her neighbors were serial
killers, I don't see what that has to do with anything. The Hitchcock movie
clearly had more inspiration for the movie than she did.

You obviously never been sitting around at night trying to fall asleep and let your mind go off on tangents. He was probably watching the late night version of The Insider or something, and went off like "Gee, I wonder what she'll do at home? Will she start spying on her neighbors or something..." blah blah blah. Something like that.

Date Posted: February 06 2009 at 1:47pm
This is so off topic now...

Date Posted: February 07 2009 at 1:31pm

This is so off topic now...

You're right, back to "The Uninvited". Okay, movie made only $10 million, so yep, it bombed. Fingers crossed that if this happens for the next 100 J-Horror remakes, maybe H-Wood will get a clue and stop making them, or just subtitle the originals.

Posted By: Mrs. Magnatech
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 9:31am
I saw this. It's not awful, just so-so. Not Razzie worthy in the slightest

Posted By: wolfee37
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 4:32pm
I saw previews for The Unborn and The Univited. The Unborn looked good, while The Uninivited looked awful. COme to my supirse when it was the other way around. The Univited was well acted and it did have some stupid horror cliches, but altogether a solid film. And the ending got me also, I saw the twist coming but there was mre to it that I did not see coming. NOT razzie material supirisngly...

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: March 15 2009 at 5:34pm
Insomnia was a remake of a foreign film, but I don't know which country the original was from...

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 8:21am
I still find it sad how "The Unborn" and "Friday the 13th" would make money over this film...

Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 8:47am

I still find it sad how "The Unborn" and "Friday the 13th" would make money over this film...

I just find it sad that those two movies made money, period.

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 9:47am

I just find it sad that those two movies made money, period.

Yeah, sorry about that. I kinda Saw all three. Folk like me are at fault for these movies actually making money. Well, not like me per se... I watch em just because I watch a movie every week... I suppose the others just watch em because they liked the trailers...

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Date Posted: March 29 2009 at 3:25am

You obviously never been sitting around at night trying to fall asleep and let your mind go off on tangents. He was probably watching the late night version of The Insider or something, and went off like "Gee, I wonder what she'll do at home? Will she start spying on her neighbors or something..." blah blah blah. Something like that.

God I hope I was drunk when I wrote that... The good news is that I probably was.

Date Posted: March 30 2009 at 12:13am

God I hope I was drunk when I wrote that... The good news is that I probably was.

If you weren't drunk then, it's not too late to start, and possibly claim retroactive drunkenness.

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2009 at 8:32am
Retro-drunk... BRILLIANT!
(I wish I had my picture of those two guys in that Guiness commercial on this computer.)

Date Posted: March 30 2009 at 9:21am
Brilliant indeed. And those Guinness guys would have indeed added to the effect. But we can always just picture them in our minds, and get a chuckle that way...

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2009 at 11:29am

Yea, again... I've got it at home, and even some self-modded funnier ones, but alas... I'm at work...

Date Posted: March 30 2009 at 11:57am
My work computers don't much like this site. But then again, while I'm at work, this site isn't particularly active, either.... Had to toss in that picture though... it was the first I found.

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2009 at 12:00pm
I really miss that Guinness campaign. Those were some good characters.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: March 31 2009 at 12:37am

It's sort of the like Fox Network's programing philosophy: If I like a show too much, it will invariably be canceled. That's why I try not to get too invested in anything, otherwise Fox will have it canceled.

I bet the folks at Guinness found out you liked the campaign, so they stopped it.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2009 at 8:22am
w**kerS!!!

Date Posted: March 31 2009 at 5:28pm
I heard New Corps. stock has dropped like 70% since last year. I can't wait for Fox News and 20th Century Fox to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Date Posted: April 01 2009 at 12:21am

Fox deserve it for taking away my Firefly! Joss Whedon deserved a chance!

I heard New Corps. stock has dropped like 70% since last year. I can't wait for Fox News and 20th Century Fox to go the way of the dinosaurs.

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2009 at 2:58am
Joss is still plenty busy. I'm enjoying Dollhouse, for the most part. I don't wish any malice on 20th Century Fox...aside from their news division...and their movie product has been very, very sub par lately.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 01 2009 at 9:44am
I'm still mad at Fox for canceling Firefly, obviously. That was a good show, that needed more of a chance. The movie tried to make up for that, but it doesn't change the fact that Fox killed a great show before it had an opportunity to really shine....

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2009 at 11:26am
Yea, I liked Firefly and Serenity. I don't really wanna like him, but for the most part I've been into almost everything he's done. Never got into Buffy, but I didn't hate it by any means.

Date Posted: April 02 2009 at 12:07am

Yea, I liked Firefly and Serenity. I don't really wanna like him, but for the most part I've been into almost everything he's done. Never got into Buffy, but I didn't hate it by any means.

I sit there watching a show like Dollhouse, and I can't help but wonder how long before Fox cancels that one. Considering that it might actually have potential, I figure it has one or two more episodes...

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 3:17am
Well, from what I hear, my beloved Sarah Connor Chronicles isn't coming back, and I wouldn't give Dollhouse too long either. Look at the F'in timeslot... Friday night from 8-10? I'm only hoping that they're banking on enough nerds (the real target audience anyway) are going to actually not have anything to do. Now as for me... It's not my fault, I work at 5AM (or sometimes 2:30AM) on Saturdays, and I shouldn't go out in the first place (although I did last night and woke up drunk again) and when I work at 5, the best time for me to go to bed is really right around 10, so it's pretty much perfect. I still wish that both were earlier in the week. Maybe on in place of American Idol.

Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 11:39am

Well, from what I hear, my beloved Sarah Connor Chronicles isn't coming back, and I wouldn't give Dollhouse too long either. Look at the F'in timeslot... Friday night from 8-10? I'm only hoping that they're banking on enough nerds (the real target audience anyway) are going to actually not have anything to do. Now as for me... It's not my fault, I work at 5AM (or sometimes 2:30AM) on Saturdays, and I shouldn't go out in the first place (although I did last night and woke up drunk again) and when I work at 5, the best time for me to go to bed is really right around 10, so it's pretty much perfect. I still wish that both were earlier in the week. Maybe on in place of American Idol.

I wish they'd put anything on in place of American Idol... I have no idea how that garbage continually draws people in. It's like the American public has nothing better to do, then listen to a bunch of kids trying to belt out songs that they did not write, and have little to no emotional connection with. It's like the problem people seem to have with remakes, only in this case it's with music. The original emotion, that was part of the reason the original song was so great, is gone, and replaced with some manufactured BS.....

Back onto the topic that was completely off the topic. I figure Dollhouse might finish off a season, but it will most likely not be back, which is a shame. And I used to watch Sarah Connor, but after my electricity went out for a couple episodes, I was just completely lost... suddenly there were just a bunch of new characters that I had no idea where they came from... killed the show for me. Same thing happened to "Lost", which is definitely a show that if you miss one episode, you're completely...well...Lost. I'll have to wait until both of them hit DVD.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2009 at 1:17am
The problem with American Idol is that every country in the world seems to have it's own version (and it started in England, to be fair. THEY ruined music.). And speaking of which, I've noticed that musical innovation actually has gone down exponentially since the show came out.

As for Sarah Connor, you can watch a bunch of em on Hulu, but you're probably behind. I think the series finale is coming up next week, and it's kind of a let down at this point.

Oh, and since this thread started out as a bad PG13 horror movie thread, I'd like to draw attention to a future horror on the senses, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1148204/ - Orphan .
It basically looks like The Good Son (or The Bad Seed) mixed with The Sixth Sense... or to put it at a more appropriate level of Standards, Ghost Dad. It seems fairly obvious that the little girl is a ghost (which is supposed to be a surprise. I could be wrong, but I don't care enough to find out, the movie looks vomitastic.) who causes her adopted parents hell by killing all the kiddies around her. It looks like it's a for sure PG13, and it looks like a for sure piece of crap. I'd be surprised if it hits 20% on RT.

Date Posted: April 05 2009 at 5:28pm

The problem with American Idol is that every country in the world seems to have it's own version (and it started in England, to be fair. THEY ruined music.). And speaking of which, I've noticed that musical innovation actually has gone down exponentially since the show came out.

As for Sarah Connor, you can watch a bunch of em on Hulu, but you're probably behind. I think the series finale is coming up next week, and it's kind of a let down at this point.

Oh, and since this thread started out as a bad PG13 horror movie thread, I'd like to draw attention to a future horror on the senses, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1148204/ - Orphan .
It basically looks like The Good Son (or The Bad Seed) mixed with The Sixth Sense... or to put it at a more appropriate level of Standards, Ghost Dad. It seems fairly obvious that the little girl is a ghost (which is supposed to be a surprise. I could be wrong, but I don't care enough to find out, the movie looks vomitastic.) who causes her adopted parents hell by killing all the kiddies around her. It looks like it's a for sure PG13, and it looks like a for sure piece of crap. I'd be surprised if it hits 20% on RT.

And you better believe that, because I am a movie masochist, I will be there to see the crime against Cinema.

...I should have used the screen name "Movie Masochist" that would have been awesome....

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:20am
Well, I think it's important to see a bad film here and there, to understand how good good ones are. But in the current climate, I'd advise against seeing anything that might keep a $#!++y trend going.

Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:40pm
I still see the crap, I pretty much watch just about anything. I've managed to sit through movies so awful, a sane man would have cracked... But then again, I'm sure you can relate.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2009 at 2:33pm
Well, I hate to be in the moviewizguy position, but I sort of liked this film.
The plot is reasonably well-crafted, the score adds a certain depth to the
movie, the acting is for the most part, pretty good, but depending on who
you are, you will either be angry at the ending for giving you false
information (though there was logic and reason behind that), or you will
spellbound by how the movie connects all the dots that we didn't see. I will
admit that the ending doesn't entirely work, but overall I think that as far as
Asian horror remakes go, this one's not bad.

Date Posted: May 02 2009 at 1:34am
I had to go back and look up what this movie was even about. They've all run so close together that the Asian Whorer genre has completely blurred to me. I just noticed this was one of the 18.72 billion films starring Elizabeth Banks this year.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 02 2009 at 1:37am

I had to go back and look up what this movie was even about. They've all run so close together that the Asian Whorer genre has completely blurred to me. I just noticed this was one of the 18.72 billion films starring Elizabeth Banks this year.

Every movie stars Elizabeth Banks, and/or Seth Rogen... It is part of the SAG code.

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2009 at 1:40am
Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Every movie stars Elizabeth Banks, and/or Seth Rogen... It is part of the SAG code.

On that note, I just forced myself to watch Team America again the other day... SAG always brings me back to their play on words there. Chuckle, Giggle, Titter. I really don't mind seeing Elizabeth Banks at any given time. I just thought I should bring that up for the sake of fairness.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 02 2009 at 9:52am

On that note, I just forced myself to watch Team America again the other day... SAG always brings me back to their play on words there. Chuckle, Giggle, Titter. I really don't mind seeing Elizabeth Banks at any given time. I just thought I should bring that up for the sake of fairness.

Nothing wrong with seeing more Elizabeth Banks. I just thought I should mention that she is in like 95% of all movies made, and they are currently working on digitally inserting her and/or Seth Rogen into ever movie that was made prior to the beginning of their careers. Coming in 2011 Citizen Kane starring Seth Rogen!

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 1:46am
Featuring Jonah Hill as Rosebud the Sled. I see it talking in this version, and delivers lines much akin to Tony Curtis in Spartacus.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:12am

Featuring Jonah Hill as Rosebud the Sled. I see it talking in this version, and delivers lines much akin to Tony Curtis in Spartacus.

While the Spartacus voice thing might be amusing... I think placing Jonah Hill in Citizen Kane might be going too far. I think there is only room for one ultra-classy comedian... And the high-brow comic stylings of both Seth Rogen AND Jonah Hill might just take it to a level that is just insanely awesome...(Too much sarcasm...Computer overloading!)

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:42am
"I love you, Charles. Won't you ride me just one more time?"

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 12:51pm

For some reason, that line is way funnier then it has any right to be...

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2009 at 11:00pm

Just remember to read it with a deep Tony Curtis inflection.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:37am

Just remember to read it with a deep Tony Curtis inflection.

Tony Curtis you say? Hell I've been rereading it with all kinds of old movie star inflections. I think my favorite so far has been the Charleton Heston from Planet of the Apes.... Very amusing.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:50am
"My god. I'm your sled, Mr. Kane. And if you aren't on top of me in the next 30 seconds, I'm going to pump your guts full of lead. DAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOU!!!!"

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:21am

"My god. I'm your sled, Mr. Kane. And if you aren't on top of me in the next 30 seconds, I'm going to pump your guts full of lead. DAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOU!!!!"

This sled sounds a little unstable... perhaps it should seek some professional help?

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 1:48pm
"You can take this gun from my cold, dead treads!"

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:29pm

"Get your Filthy hands off of me, you damn dirty Kane!"

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:44pm
Bikini scenes! That's all I remember about the movie.

Date Posted: May 04 2009 at 5:41pm

Bikini scenes! That's all I remember about the movie.

I think there was a scene where...

.... Ok yeah, Bikini scenes....

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 12:46am

"Get your Filthy hands off of me, you damn dirty Kane!"

Nice.

And let's face it. If they made Citizen Kane these days, there would be bikini scenes. Plural.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 4:20am

Nice.

And let's face it. If they made Citizen Kane these days, there would be bikini scenes. Plural.

A movie just isn't a movie without at least one Bikini Scene... It is a necessity...

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 4:30am
Especially movies about the Iditarod.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 5:12am

Especially movies about the Iditarod.

Well of course. NOTHING says "dog sled race through the frozen north" quite like some lovely ladies in Bikinis....

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 5:43am
I'd say that Ski School and the copycat 80's sex comedies were about on par with Citizen Kane. THEY all wore bikinis and were skiing... It's clearly the same thing... Ok... Let's tie this back to whatever thread this is... Hold on, lemme scroll back up and... THE UNINVITED?! Nevermind... Let's keep talking about talking sleds played by legendary actors and classic movies enhanced with bikinis.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 5:55am

Ski School as being on par with Citizen Kane... seems reasonable enough....  Since the Bikini is one of the most brilliant film making devices Hollywood has at its disposal... Well, besides talking sleds as voiced by Hollywood Legends.

Now if only I could figure out a way to bring thos etwo brilliant ideas together...

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:03am
"Citizen Kane" didn't have any bikini scenes; it's one of the few levels that the movie fails on. Then again, I don't think Orsen Welles was the two-piece type.

Date Posted: May 05 2009 at 4:54pm

"Citizen Kane" didn't have any bikini scenes; it's one of the few levels that the movie fails on. Then again, I don't think Orsen Welles was the two-piece type.

Damned mental images... Why? Why do you hate me?

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 3:17am
I think it's safe to say that Schindler's List wouldn't have managed a single Oscar without the bikini scenes.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 3:19am

Oh, it's all part of our evil plan, same as our plan to have critics bash all movies that Miguel and MWG like. 

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:21am

Oh, it's all part of our evil plan, same as our plan to have critics bash all movies that Miguel and MWG like. 

Your evil genius is astounding. I am in awe. Even going so far as to tell everyone your evil plot... What year did you graduate from Evil Overlord University?

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I think it's safe to say that Schindler's List wouldn't have managed a single Oscar without the bikini scenes.

Yea, I know, really? And it was such an important plot point... Like how else would he pick people to be on the list?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:38pm

Yea, I know, really? And it was such an important plot point... Like how else would he pick people to be on the list?

Yes, they decided to cut out those scenes where he barks out orders of "Okay, all you young and beautiful women who look great naked, you come with me. As for the rest of your ugly, old hags, best of luck to you!". I mean come on, that is the tradition of all good dramas.

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:17pm

Yes, they decided to cut out those scenes where he barks out orders of "Okay, all you young and beautiful women who look great naked, you come with me. As for the rest of your ugly, old hags, best of luck to you!". I mean come on, that is the tradition of all good dramas.

I remember being fairly perturbed to find that they had cut those scenes. I think they were probably the most powerful part of the script.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:40pm
Yea. At least they left in the scenes with the car chase, and then all of those cars that were blowing up for no reason along side of it.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 08 2009 at 5:10am
Yeah, it was a smart move by the studio to have Michael Bay work on the movie... It just wouldn't have had any punch without the random explosions to keep the audiences attention.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2009 at 12:36pm

Based on the South Korean chiller A TALE OF TWO SISTERS, the film introduces us to troubled teen Anna as she prepares to be released from a psychiatric institution. Having witnessed the accidental death of her ailing mother, and having been saved from a subsequent suicide attempt, Anna knows that the road to recovery will be long and bumpy. Making the path more treacherous is the presence of Rachel, the mother's nursemaid who has now become Anna's father's soon-to-be wife. Already bound by their resentment of her, Anna and older sister, Alex, come to suspect Rachel of foul play when Anna is visited by ghosts.

Now here's a clever thriller that is dressed up in a run-of-the-mill PG-13 Korean horror remake. It's unusual to ever see a remake to be good, although there are some exceptions, including THE RING and THE GRUDGE. Might as well add this one to the list too because THE UNINVITED is a meticulously crafted film that will have you guessing until the shocking finale. When I mean "shocking," I may be exaggerating because the twist has been done before. However, the funny thing is that people keep on falling for it, or at least I think they do.

What makes THE UNINVITED different from the others? Well, first of all, I loved the technical aspect of the film. I have to admit, the film is slick and shot really well. The scenery is beautiful, having a good production design. The score by Christopher Young is actually a score, and not something generic. Young, who also did the music for DRAG ME TO HELL, is one of the few composers in horror films who do a great job on the musical aspects of a film.

Usually, many horror films pass the former aspect of what I've just listed (maybe not the music). However, they usually fall on the latter, that is, the story and its characters. I haven't seen the original film so I don't have any say on that, but I found the plot of the film fairly interesting and suspenseful in parts. However, the scares do get a little generic for my taste and some parts of the story are slow, but overall, it's efficient, yet ingenious.

Along with the story, what holds up this film are its characters. Emily Browning does a terrific job as the lead. She makes the improbable plot look plausible and realistic. Both she and Arielle Kebbel have a great chemistry with each other. Elizabeth Banks ups the ante of the evil stepmother role. Banks proves to us that she can work with many roles, showing her comedic and sweet side in ZACK AND MIRI. David Strathairn does a decent job, although he really doesn't have much to work with in here.

In general, the movie is better than most horror remakes released these days. This movie actually has an interesting plot with grounded characters and some suspenseful moments. Sure, the scares may be a little generic, relying on the score to let the audience know when something scary will happen, but it's not over-the-top. And although with its short running time, the film does suffer some slow spots, but I'm sure many would appreciate what the film has in store for the audience rather than violence, nudity, and gore. 3/4

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: February 07 2011 at 10:08am
I just saw this and gave it 4/10.I'll post my review later when it's ready.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 4:27pm
"THE UNINVITED" USUALLY CRASH ANYWAY.TRUST ME,YOU DON'T WANT TO(**/*****):

Spoilers ahead!

Obviously I was shocked by the twist ending.So what is the problem with this movie?I just said it.The movie depends completely on it's twist.So much that I can't even talk about the rest of the movie because everything is really a build-up to the twist.It's actually a very well-crafted build-up in the sense that you look back and realize all the hints and stuff.But it's not a good build-up in the sense that the rest of the movie is truly boring and not scary.

After the movie is over you'll feel insulted because you'll realize the twist has been used many times before.I guess that's why it's so shocking.It's unpredictable.I mean you wouldn't expect a movie to use it,based on modern standars,right?

Grades: D in the U.S. and 4,0 in Chile.

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 11 2011 at 4:25pm
The movie was like a bad version of "The Sixth Sense", the whole time I was watching it, I noticed "Hey, why is it that the older sister never talks to anyone else?". And of course, we find out why. Oh, and of course, it's a remake of a K-horror movie, because Hollywood has a record of like two good versus one thousand bad when it comes to those remakes.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 12 2011 at 12:57pm
When the mother said "Murderer" pointing at the house,ALEX appeared.I knew there was going to be a twist ending and I thought ALEX was the murderer.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window