Print Page | Close Window

2003 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: RAZZIE® Basics
Forum Name: Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
Forum Discription: Every Golden Raspberry Nominee & Every Winner...EVER!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=353
Printed Date: December 20 2014 at 5:49am

Topic: 2003 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: 2003 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"
Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 4:43pm

24th Annual RAZZIE®  Awards (for 2003)

Presented at The Four Points by Sheraton Hotel, February 28, 2003

"Winners" are Denoted in Bold Face

WORST PICTURE

CAT-IN-THE HAT (Universal/Dreamworks/Imagine)
CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE (Columbia)
FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY (20th Century-Fox)
GIGLI (Columbia/Revolution)
THE REAL CANCUN (New Line)

WORST ACTOR

Ben Affleck / DAREDEVIL, GIGLI and PAYCHECK
Cuba Gooding, Jr. / BOAT TRIP, FIGHTING TEMPTATIONS and RADIO
Justin Guarini / FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY
Ashton Kutcher / CHEAPER by the DOZEN, JUST MARRIED
and MY BOSS'S DAUGHTER
Mike Myers / THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT

WORST ACTRESS

Drew Barrymore / CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE and DUPLEX
Cameron Diaz / CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE
Kelly Clarkson / FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY
Angelina Jolie / BEYOND BORDERS
and LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE of LIFE
Jennifer Lopez / GIGLI

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Anthony Anderson / KANGAROO JACK
Alec Baldwin / THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT
Al Pacino / GIGLI
Sylvester Stallone (Whose 5 Roles Could Have Filled This ENTIRE Category!) SPY KIDS 3-D: GAME OVER
Christopher Walken / GIGLI and KANGAROO JACK

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Lanie Kazan / GIGLI
Demi Moore / CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE
Kelly Preston / THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT
Brittany Murphy / JUST MARRIED
Tara Reid / MY BOSS'S DAUGHTER

WORST SCREEN COUPLE

Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez / GIGLI
Eric Christian Olsen & Derek Richardson / DUMB AND DUMBERER
Justin Guarini & Kelly Clarkson / FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY
Ashton Kutcher &
EITHER Brittany Murphy (JUST MARRIED)
or Tara Reid (MY BOSS's DAUGHTER)
Mike Myers &
EITHER Thing One OR Thing Two / THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT

WORST EXCUSE for an ACTUAL MOVIE (All Concept/No Content!) (New Category)

2 FAST, 2 FURIOUS
THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT
CHARLIE'S ANGLES: FULL THROTTLE
FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY
THE REAL CANCUN

WORST REMAKE or SEQUEL

2 FAST, 2 FURIOUS
CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE
DUMB & DUMBERER: WHEN HARRY MET LLOYD
FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY (
Remake of WHERE THE BOYS ARE ‘60 and WHERE THE BOYS ARE ‘84)
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

WORST DIRECTOR

Martin Brest / GIGLI
Robert Iscove / FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY
Mort Nathan / BOAT TRIP
T
he Wachowski Brothers / Both MATRIX Sequels
Bo Welch / THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT

WORST SCREENPLAY

THE CAT-IN-THE-HAT, Screenplay by Alec Berg, David Mandel and Jeff Schaffer
CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE, Screenplay by John August and
Cormac & Marianne Wibberley, “Story” by August
DUMB AND DUMBERER, Screenplay by Robert Brener and Troy Miller, “Story” by Brener
FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY, Written by Kim Fuller
GIGLI, Written by Martin Brest

SPECIAL GOVERNOR's AWARD for UNDER ACHIEVEMENT in CHOREOGRAPHY

Travis Payne/FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY

NOMINATIONS PER PICTURE:

GIGLI – 9 Nominations, 6 "Wins" (Worst Picture, Actor, Actress, Screen Couple, Screenplay and DIrector)
CAT-IN-THE-HAT – 8 Nominations, 1 "Win" (Worst Excuse for an Actual Movie)
FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY – 8 Nominations, 1 Governor's Award
CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE - 7 Nominations, 2  "Wins" (Worst Supporting Actress and Worst Sequel) 

HISTORIC NOTE: GIGLI was the first film ever to "sweep" ALL SIX TOP RAZZIE® CATEGORIES...

©2004, Golden Raspberry Award Foundation and John Wilson  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 3:23pm

Anthony Anderson?! I thought he was hilarious! 

I also disagree about Cuba Gooding Jr's movies(except RADIO). And DUMB & DUMBERER should've won!

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 4:09pm
You hit 23 films for Double-O-Three. Throwing out Radio, The Matrix Reloaded, and The Matrix Revolutions, I've ordered the other 20 films from tamest to worst:

20. Duplex
19. Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over
18. Cheaper By the Dozen
17. The Fighting Temptations
16. My Boss' Daughter
15. Beyond Borders
14. Daredevil
13. Just Married
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [remake]
11. 2 Fast, 2 Furious
10. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
9. Paycheck
8. Boat Trip
7. Kangaroo Jack
6. Dumb & Dumber'er: When Harry Met LLoyd
5. The Real Cancun
4. Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
3. From Justin to Kelly
2. The Cat in the Hat
1. Gigli

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 4:54pm
THE FIGHTING TEMPTATIONS is #17, instead of #1?!

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2010 at 8:28pm
I gave CAT IN THE HAT 40%. It's true that they exagerated with the PG themes, but that makes it less true to the source, not less funny.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I have to disagree, and confess that CAT IN THE HAT, alarmingly "loosely based" on a children's classic from my childhood, was one of the worst kids' movies I've ever seen. Since it takes all of 4.5 minutes to read the book, of course they had to stretch out and elaborate on the original material to make a feature length film -- But in doing so, I would argue, they completely disrespected their source. The elements of sexual innuendo, the cameo by Paris Hilton and the overall tone of cloying/annoying pandering to what they seemed to assume was an audience of ADD-addled idiots, all combined for one of the most memorably awful movie-going experiences of my life. 

Other than that... 

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: August 08 2010 at 5:11pm
Yeah, I remember they released a new book of "Cat in the Hat" based on the movie, and it was NOTHING like the original book, besides the two kids being bored and the CITH showing up to entertain them.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: September 13 2010 at 1:43pm
I just saw MY BOSS'S DAUGHTER and gave it 3/10. It deserved to "win" Worst Screen Couple. Tara Reid wasn't in the movie enough, but based on what I saw, if she had been given more screentime, she'd have been bad enough to be razzed. Ashton Kutcher wasn't great in this (nor in CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN) but I found him far from bad. And I thought he was actually good in JUST MARRIED. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:49am
Yeah, nothing was going to top "Gigli" in 2003. Between the overhype about the romance of "Bennifer" (and the fact that their movie was stupid on every level) "My Boss's Daughter" didn't stand a chance!  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 9:43am
Brittany Murphy relied too much on the "Whisper when sad" technique, which became her trademark. Did she deserve the nomination? Well,she wasn't awful. But "Worst Couple"? The two had chemistry!

JUST MARRIED is very funny,but it's an insult to the intelligence. I know sh*t about relationships, but I know more than the script writer. It's true that arguments and fights aren't the same thing, and that married couples argue a lot but don't fight a lot. In the movie the characters fight, then they make it seem like arguments, and that's it.

I give it 5/10.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 5:26pm
Yeah, but Kutcher & Murphy were annoying, and had little to work with in this crappy script.

-------------

Posted By: Jennifar
Date Posted: December 25 2010 at 4:33am
file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CREHMAN%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C10%5Cclip_filelist.xml - Yes, you are right to some extent...  

-------------
http://stopringinginearshelp.com - stop ringing in ears

Date Posted: December 25 2010 at 10:41am

1) What does the category "Worst Excuse for an Actual Movie" mean?

2) Shouldn't THE CAT IN THE HAT be listed as a Remake/Sequel too?

-------------

Date Posted: December 25 2010 at 10:50pm
1. Basically, "Worst Excuse for an Actual Movie" was for stupid ideas that went horribly wrong because they were stupid ideas. Or as the subtitle says, "all concept without any actual content."   

2. Not really, since it was an adaptation (if you can even call it that), not a remake or sequel to an original movie.

-------------

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 3:40am
Paris Hilton should've been nominated for worst supporting actress instead of Kelly Preston.

-------------
Worst Career Achievement: Kim Jong-Un
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 7:50am
Isn't an "adaptation" a remake?  

I know I said I didn't hate CAT IN THE HAT, but the main reason I thought it was bad anyway (and most of the people did) is because it had barely anything to do with the book. It deserved to win this! 

Originally posted by oiram

Paris Hilton should've been nominated for worst supporting actress instead of Kelly Preston.

For what?  

-------------

Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 9:00am
Didn't you read HeadRazz's response? He said that Hilton had a cameo in Cat in the Hat.

-------------
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 1:35pm
I know cameos have been nominated in the past, because some actors can suck within a few minutes. But Paris appeared for literally 2 seconds IN CAT IN THE HAT, and didn't speak at all.

-------------

Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 4:40pm
"Isn't an adaptation a remake?" -- Not unless you count the direct-to-VHS, animated short that was based on the book.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 1:37pm
OK, two things.

1: Why just Ben with Lopez? Why not let it be Ben Affleck and either Jennifer Lopez in Gigli, Jennifer Gardner in Daredevil or Uma Thurman in Paycheck? By extension, why not also have Piper Perabo from Cheaper By the Dozen up there with Tara and Brittany(Rest in Peace) against Ashton?

2: Why Mort Nathan as worst director? What's so special about him? Shouldn't that nom be McG for Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle?

-------------
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:14pm
1)I think it was because GIGLI wasn't meant to be a rom-com until those 2 were cast, and the Razzies wanted to say F.U. to the studios for thinking people are that dumb. As for Piper...you're right. She spent more time with Ashton than Tara. But I guess it's because they weren't a good couple on purpose? 

2)The directing was the worst part of BOAT TRIP. If anything McG deserved a nom. for TERMINATOR 4.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:32am
I just saw DUPLEX.Drew Barrymore was a little lazy but she didn't deserve "Worst Actress".I found the R.T. concensus unfair:"It was funnier when it was called THROW "MOMMA" FROM THE TRAIN".I give it 3/10.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:41am
I just saw PAYCHECK.

John Woo's directing was a step up from FACE/OFF in terms of action.But it was a step down in terms of handling the script.At first it's very intriguing.But halfway through the movie you see where it's going,and how it will end,and the action scenes somehow become boring.

This won "Worst Actor".Ben Affleck's performance was weak.Aaron Eckhart was alright.Uma Thurman...nothing worth mentioning.Paul Giamatti...I don't know if he was a star back then,but he deserves more than being the comic relief who barely appears.At least the funny sidekick who's with the hero in every scene!

I give it 5/10.

-------------

Posted By: leeyn
Date Posted: March 26 2011 at 9:00pm
Since it takes all of 4.5 minutes to read the book, of course they had to stretch out and elaborate on the original material to make a feature length film -- But in doing so, I would argue, they completely disrespected their source.。。。LOL

Date Posted: March 24 2012 at 9:14am
Because I saw it when I was 13, I decided to re-watch the MATRIX trilogy. It deserved both its Oscar wins and Razzie nominations.

Of course that I was blown away by the style of THE MATRIX. And while I also liked the phylosophical themes, I didn't really like the story. Best Performance? Hugo Weaving (he was over-the-top in a good way). Worst Performance? Keanu Reeves. He only showed true emotions during the fights, and being angry at your adversary isn't really an emotion, right?

Of course that the story couldn't support a sequel, and let alone 2. And it didn't. THE MATRIX RELOADED consisted on mostly talking, and I only cared about it when they referenced those phylosofical themes, nothing else. The fights started to feel obviously choreographed, and the action sequences were too long and tedious.

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS was less boring, but I just didn't care about the characters. And the story got too convoluted. Most of the acting sucked, including Weaving who got over-the-top in a bad way. As for the ending... I didn't care that it was ambigious, it was how they presented it. It felt like they ran out of reel.

I give them 7/10, 1/10 and 1/10 respectively.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2012 at 1:27am
2003. Agent 003's body was found in the arctic with a microchip with Zorin's calling card on it. Here's my take on the Year of the Chilled Microchip, Two Double-O-Three:

Films that should've been RAZZed, but didn't: 4
House of the Dead
The Haunted Mansion
View From the Top
Jeepers Creepers 2

Films that got RAZZed, but shouldn't have: 2
The Matrix Reloaded
Radio

Films that got RAZZed to the wrong degree: 3
Dumb and Dumber'er: When Harry Met Lloyd (Not RAZZed enough)
Kangaroo Jack (Not RAZZed enough)
Boat Trip (Not RAZZed enough)

Worst Trends/Events of 2003:
V. All the lousy dark-of-night thrillers (Cold Creek Manor, Dreamcatcher, The Hunted, Bulletproof Monk)
IV. Superhero themed films dipping in quality (Ex. HULK, Daredevil)
III. Ben Affleck, his 3 strikes, and his crumbling relationship with J-Lo
II. Underachievers trying to dance in an American Idol champ's unbearable crossover (The badly-executed Choreography of From Justin to Kelly made the RAZZIES governor HeadRAZZBerry intervene with a special award!)
I. Unusual concepts, content-free nonsense (There's a difference between the Special Category and Worst Picture. Worst Picture just means the most infamously bad overall. Worst Excuse For an Actual Movie takes aim at films with unorthodox concepts, that when they actually made them into films, they just came out nonsensical and content-free)

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2012 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WORST PICTURE

THE REAL CANCUN (New Line)

WORST EXCUSE for an ACTUAL MOVIE (All Concept/No Content!) (New Category)

THE REAL CANCUN

Skip to 06:28.

[TUBE]l-sy1acnSOM[/TUBE]

Any thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2013 at 2:00pm
On this episode, I compare Worst Supp. Actor winner SPY KIDS 3D to the other installments (Skip to 01:20):

[TUBE]ljFE6ermZr4[/TUBE]

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 1:06pm
On this episode, I compare Worst Actor nominee DAREDEVIL to ELEKTRA (skip to 01:56).

[TUBE]QgVNRe84RM4[/TUBE]

Any thoughts?

-------------

Posted By: moviecritic1994
Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:33am
I have a theory: The only reason Gigli was even made was to promote "Bennifer," since everyone in the tabloids talked about those two constantly back at that time. Just like The Hottie and the Nottie pretty much is a Paris Hilton "infomercial." Luckily for Ben Affleck, he has the Oscar for Argo to help him forget this dreadful film. Question is, well Jennifer Lopez ever find a way to forget about Gigli as well? I highly doubt it, especially with her 2013 co-starring role in Parker.

Side note: I hear they are doing an animated adaptation of "Cat in the Hat". Do you guys think it will be better or worse than the Mike Myers version?

-------------
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)

Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:51am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While it may still suck, there's almost no way an animated remake of CAT IN THE HAT could be worse than the live action Mike Meyers version, which I consider one of the worst book-to-film adaptations ever made...  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

I have a theory: The only reason Gigli was even made was to promote "Bennifer," since everyone in the tabloids talked about those two constantly back at that time.
You're sort of right. The movie was originally going to be a crime thriller, but when they hired Affleck & Lopez, the studio demanded that the script was re-written into a rom-com.

Question is, well Jennifer Lopez ever find a way to forget about Gigli as well? I highly doubt it, especially with her 2013 co-starring role in Parker.
Considering how many times she's been nominated since 2003 (including Worst Actress of the Decade) for different types of movies, I think it's fair to say that if she had any acting talents she would've displayed them by now.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

<font size="4" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While it may still suck, there's almost no way an animated remake of CAT IN THE HAT could be worse than the live action Mike Meyers version, which I consider one of the worst book-to-film adaptations ever made...  

I actually had a question about the two adaptations for "Cat in the Hat" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I have seen both films, I do agree with you that Cat in the Hat was an awful film. Even though I didn't love How the Grinch Stole Christmas, I thought it was "okay". I believe it did get some Razzie consideration back when it was realized. HeadRazz and anybody who wants to answer this, which do you think of the two films is the worst?

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 6:18pm
VITS, though I do agree J LO has hardly any acting talent, I thought she did "okay" in that biopic of Selena. Is that worth anything? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 7:30pm
I'm sure most people will tell you that they prefer GRINCH over CAT. While Carrey didn't play the character like he was in the books (which is the script writers' fault), he still did a good job overall. Unlike Myers, who has a hard time coming out of his comfort zone and basically played the same character he always plays.

VITS, though I do agree J LO has hardly any acting talent, I thought she did "okay" in that biopic of Selena. Is that worth anything? LOL
I haven't seen it. Maybe it could change my opinion on her?

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 7:32pm
I've heard people say Jennifer Lopez was good in Out of Sight.

-------------
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

Date Posted: May 13 2013 at 4:09pm
I haven't seen that one either. Damn!

OK, so pre-2000 J-Lo is a good actress, and post-2000 is a bad one?

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2013 at 9:51pm
Apparently yes VITS lol weird but true.

-------------

Posted By: rushmore
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 12:29am
I don't see The Room

what a robbery! 

Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 1:13pm
THE ROOM was barely seen (and heard of) during its theatrical run.

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 6:46pm
To oiram: Even though I haven't seen Out of Sight yet, I don't think it could've gotten such critical acclaim without a good performance from Jennifer Lopez. She, Steven Soderbergh, and George Clooney obviously did a good job with it because it got 93% approval rating at Rotten T, several award accolades, and 9th place on the Retro Top 40 Movies of '998.

To Vits and moviecritic1994: To someone with less familiarity with American cinema history than me, it would seem weird that J-Lo was great before Y2K and terrible after Y2K. For me, it's basic knowledge. As I've told many people here, 2000 and the New Millennium set a new low in the mode-average quality of cinema, and with the exception of my annual Top 40 lists, most years from 1950 to 1999 in film were better than the best year since January 1, 2000. Adam Sandler is another adequate example. He may not have stood out THAT far as great in the 1990s, but in the autumn of 2000, critics derided Little Nicky as the nadir of his career at the time, and I can credit the RAZZIEs in that Little Nicky was Adam Sandler's first film to really deserve our nominations. More than 3/4 of what Sandler has done since New Millennium's Day has very well earned our awards, nominations, and consideration. An exception is how Punch-Drunk Love met the good qualifications and made it to 40th place on the Top 40 Films of '002 (out of a pool of about 300 films to choose from).

To rushmore: The problem with The Room was that it was an independent film, in contrast to Gigli, The Cat in the Hat, From Justin to Kelly, Dumb and Dumber'er: When Harry Met LLoyd, Kangaroo Jack, and Boat Trip, which were all major Hollywood wide releases. Even The Haunted Mansion was considered for the Worst of 2003 RAZZIES because it had more Hollywood anchoring than The Room. Limited releases will get RAZZIE nominations occasionally, such as Piranha 3DD and Atlas Shrugged Part 2, but even they were better known and had more Hollywood backing than The Room or Birdemic: Shock and Terror.

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 10:28am
That's not an excuse, other dark/unknown/independent films were nominated 

They could've nominated it the next year when they celebrated their 25th anniversary. What are these awards for if they don't reward movies like this?

Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 8:32pm
I saw the movie Gigli, and I found it very offensive to mentally ill people and gay women! Gosh, two movies where Ben Affleck has the superpower to turn a lesbian into straight is way too much 

The ONLY thing I liked about it was Justin Bartha, Thank God he wasn't nominated

Print Page | Close Window