Print Page | Close Window

3 STOOGES Remake 2 Star...SEAN PENN??

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on UP-COMING FILMS & PROJECTS
Forum Name: 3 STOOGES MOVIE
Forum Discription: Whatta Cast...Whatta WASTE!!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3547
Printed Date: April 18 2014 at 6:36am

Topic: 3 STOOGES Remake 2 Star...SEAN PENN??
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: 3 STOOGES Remake 2 Star...SEAN PENN??
Date Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:40pm

In one of the screwier cases of mis-casting we've heard of late, M-G-M has apparently green-lit the Ferrelly brothers' "re-imagining" of Columbia's old chestnut http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383010/ - Set to be released in late 2010, this "loose re-working" of the old knockabout comedy shorts will supposedly star tall-and-lanky 2-time RAZZIE® nominee Jim Carrey as the short-and-fat "Curly," Latino Oscar® winner Benecio del Torro as the decidely whitebread/Joisy-accented "Moe," and 1986 RAZZIE® nominee (and 2-time Oscar® winner) Sean Penn as the flaming-red-headed "Larry."

Not since Halle Berry followed up MONSTER's BALL with http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Razzie_Awards/2005 - has an Oscar® Darling taken so blatant a career mis-step on the heels of accepting a Little Gold Naked Man...

In case you don't believe this news (and it is admittedly unbelievable) here's a http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i52a5818a20ffa024b3631338dc79d03d - to the artcile on the Hollywood Reporter web site that NPR cited in their story on "All Things Considered" this afternoon.

And below, courtesy of Tomsmo35, is the entire Reporter article...

'Three Stooges' coming together at M-G-M...

Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:54 PM ET Source: Hollywood Reporter
$image_alt
(WireImage.com/Sony Pictures)

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk.

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are finally slapping together their high-profile cast for "The Three Stooges," a comedy project the filmmakers have been developing for years. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Jim Carrey is in negotiations to play Curly. Benicio del Toro is a rumored possibility for the brothers' taciturn leader, Moe.

The studio is looking to start production in the fall for a 2010 release slot.

The project was originally set up at Columbia, which produced the 1930s Stooges shorts. C3 Entertainment Inc., which holds the licensing rights to the Stooges brand, then sold the feature rights to Warner Bros. in 2001 for the Farrellys to write and produce the movie. Eventually, Warner Bros. let the rights lapse and MGM's Mary Parent scooped them up along with the Farrellys' continuing participation.

Peter and Bobby Farrelly wrote the script, which Bobby has referenced as "Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest," and will produce with Bradley Thomas and Charlie Wessler. Earl and Robert Benjamin of C3 will executive produce.

The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu.

Originally constructed as four separate shorts, the feature screenplay has since been streamlined into a single narrative. Included in the story line is an opening that shows the Stooges as kids in an orphanage, a device that will require some "Benjamin Button"-style visual trickery to place the adult actors' heads on child actors' bodies.

The Stooges maintain remarkably global brand recognition, and their shorts, films and cartoons are still broadcast in 30 countries. The Farrelly brothers' latest comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" grossed $124 million worldwide.

Penn is repped by CAA, Carrey by CAA and the Miller Co.

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: March 26 2009 at 1:48am

Didn't ABC already do a Three Stooges biopic for TV like a decade ago? Do we really need another one for the big screen, too? Starring Sean Penn of all people? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214698/ - LINK to the IMDb page for the 2000 TV movie based on the Stooges, the poor reception of which should have warded off any future attempts at re-creating the inimitable slapstick trio...

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: March 26 2009 at 10:24am
Having seen what they did to the "Heartbreak Kid" remake, I don't think I
like what this portends...

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: March 26 2009 at 3:54pm
With deepest apologies, I hadn't seen this  thread when I posted similar news today elsewhere on this site. This is definitely a project we need to keep an eye on.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: March 26 2009 at 5:31pm
What about Shemp??????????

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:33am
A biopic I could live with. Would probably even be interesting. I was just thinking the other day, and not because I WANTED the thing, but who they might cast to be a reworking of the Marx brothers these days... Like how the hell could they ever come close to the brilliance of Harpo?... But if this is meant to be what it sounds like, what a stuuuuupid idear.

Date Posted: March 27 2009 at 2:01pm
Ah, dED's got something there. There's never been a Marx Brothers biopic. I'd rather see how the most usual and entertainting comedy team came to be than another movie about how the Strooges came up with the infamous eye poke gag.

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: March 27 2009 at 4:51pm

It's pretty nice to see Jim Carrey sticking to comedy, though a couple of his last ones haven't been critically successful, but have been comercially successful.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 2:50am

Hearing several reports that they're going to be especially sick with the humor here, I'd have to say we're going to end up with a SNANU here in the end:  Situation Normal All Nyuked Up (and then some). 

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 3:53pm
They've already done a Bewitched remake, and it ended up being really bad, as well as winning 1 RAZZIE. I could ask what's next, a remake of I Dream of Jeannie? The answer: That has been in production for years, had a hard time finding the actress for the role and the director. They had one, but the director attached had a different idea and was released from her contract.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 11:42am
Originally posted by JoeBacon

He'll be played by Mel Gibson...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Razzilla

I've heard tell that Mel Gibson wants to re-enact every role by every Jewish actor ever. He must be a fan of the Jews.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 11 2009 at 10:05am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I've heard tell that Mel Gibson wants to re-enact every role by every Jewish actor ever. He must be a fan of the Jews.

Really? I heard he was going to make nothing but war epics from now on. And for some reason, the entire casts of all these war movies are going to be Jewish. Go figure.

Date Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:13pm
Baahh... We better not go down this road. I'm going to start making some VERY tasteless jokes if we stay here.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 12:48am
Tasteless jokes? You can't leave us hanging like that....

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 2:58am

I was just saying this because he was a big fan of the Stooges...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 3:38am

I was just saying this because he was a big fan of the Stooges...

Again, the irony of the matter, being a fan of 3 uber-jews after his little... tell-all. That's what I find humorous.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:35am
Mel Gibson loves the Jewish people. It says so in his new Autobiography.

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 7:33pm
And who wrote that?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 2:02am

It was written by Mel Gibson, co-authored by Rabbi Steinburgheimerschmidtweiss.....

I believe it was called "I'm Mel Gibson, and I Love Jewish People!"

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by CriticalFrank

It was written by Mel Gibson, co-authored by Rabbi Steinburgheimerschmidtweiss.....

I believe it was called "I'm Mel Gibson, and I Love Jewish People!"

I'd like to see him write that book while being constantly monitored by a polygraph.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 2:35pm

I'd like to see him write that book while being constantly monitored by a polygraph.

Polygraph Reader Guy: " That's a lie...that's a lie... and that's a lie, too!"

Mel Gibson: "Shut up, what are you, some kind of Jew? ....... Not that there's a problem with that."

Polygraph Reader Guy: "That's a lie, too!"

Mel Gibson: "I used to be an actor... old habits are hard to break."

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2009 at 1:13am
Nice. Yea, he hasn't done anything in a while, has he? Not that I'm going to see anything with him in it. They should do a Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, & Michael Richards buddy comedy called, "Seriously, Just Don't Even Watch This."

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 7:53am
How about calling it "We Haven't Alienated our Entire Fan Base, Yet?"

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:59am
I think a couple of them have new fans after their respective shenanigans. The kind of fans in white robes that don't want to show their faces.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 12:28pm

I dunno, has Tom Cruise really done anything to gain fans among the white robed individuals? I think he's pretty much alienated everyone who doesn't believe that all life's problems are alien-based.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:34am
Cultists wear white robes. It works on two levels, I promise.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:40am
Some cultists don't wear white... I'll have to check to see if Scientology has an official dress code...

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:56am
I'm sure if they do, the outfit costs at least $20,000.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 1:53pm
$20,000 will get you the beginner's robe... if you want the higher up robes, you'll need a minimum of 2 million dollars.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 9:06am

How about calling it "We Haven't Alienated our Entire Fan Base, Yet?"

That should be the second slogan under the Hollywood sign, after "Raping Your Childhood Memories For A Quick Buck".

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 4:43pm
Too much stuff going on beneath the hollywood Logo now.... We need to think of a better slogan.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 5:19pm
"Hollywood: There's No Business Like The Raping Childhood Memories and Alienating Fan Bases Business?".

Date Posted: May 21 2009 at 3:08am

"Hollywood: Raping Memories and Alienating Fans"

"Hollywood: Raping Memories and Chewing Bubblegum, and We're all out of bubblegum"

No I think the first one might be the shortest and sweetest we can manage...

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 1:49am
How about "Hollywood: We Hate You"? In reference to the fans.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 6:35am
But, "Hollywood: We Hate You" doesn't carry the same imagery of Hollywood raping childhood memories...

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 8:56am
"Hollywood: All We Know Is Raping and Alienating".

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:23am

I think the Raping childhood memories is a necessity... If we put in that all they know is raping, it makes them sound like depraved sexual deviants... Where as raping the Childhood memories has a certain, qualifier that keeps the deviance a little further away...

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 11:38am

I think the Raping childhood memories is a necessity... If we put in that all they know is raping, it makes them sound like depraved sexual deviants.

But aren't they? Why else would they want to rape our childhood memories in the first place?

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 2:45pm

Because they hate us, that's why...

Or maybe because they are aliens?

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:35pm

Because they hate us, that's why...

Or maybe because they are aliens?

Because they hate us? HA! I win.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:42pm
You win a whole lot of NOTHING, dEd. I still think my "Raping Memories and Alienating Fans" works the best.

-------------

Posted By: tomsmo35
Date Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:41am

Three Stooges update Sean Penn is droping out of two films to focus on is Family and his Marriage he as dropped out of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117645/ - Cartel , and is no longer playing Larry of The Three Stooges. I guess there is always Carrot Top.

Date Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:39am
Carrot Top would be a much better choice. Now they need to get rid of BDT. Not that I don't like him as an actor. Moe was definitely much more Jewish than Puerto Rican. And he always seems to have a helluva time getting rid of his accent altogether.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: tomsmo35
Date Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:46am

Carrot Top would be a much better choice. Now they need to get rid of BDT. Not that I don't like him as an actor. Moe was definitely much more Jewish than Puerto Rican. And he always seems to have a helluva time getting rid of his accent altogether.
Maybe they can get Adam Sandler.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 12:00pm

Now they need to get rid of BDT. Not that I don't like him as an actor. Moe was definitely much more Jewish than Puerto Rican. And he always seems to have a helluva time getting rid of his accent altogether.

Although it's easier to play someone you own race or nacionality,if he's a good actor as you say,he can portray a jewish yankee.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Vits

Now they need to get rid of BDT. Not that I don't like him as an actor. Moe was definitely much more Jewish than Puerto Rican. And he always seems to have a helluva time getting rid of his accent altogether.
Although it's easier to play someone you own race or nacionality,if he's a good actor as you say,he can portray a jewish yankee.

Unlike, say, Eddie Murphy, who played a black man, a black WOMAN, and an ASIAN man all in one movie, and won three Razzies for doing so.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 1:25pm
Yes.Zoe Zaldana(a latina)has played black women a number of times,and it's not just'cuz you gringos are so f*ck*n'ignorants that you'd think latinos can't be white.It's'cuz she's a good actress.

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Vits

Yes.Zoe Zaldana(a latina)has played black women a number of times,and it's not just'cuz you gringos are so f*ck*n'ignorants that you'd think latinos can't be white.It's'cuz she's a good actress.

Not to be racist, but the reason why Zoe is often casted as a black woman is because her skin is so dark that she can pass for being black. Yes, she's a great actress, but she's casted as black because of the color of her skin.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 1:58pm

But not ev'ry latino can,if I may quote DENNY CRANE,"sound black".Blacks and latinos have slangs and accents and...other words I don't know,about how they sound.It's hard for a latino to play a gringo.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2010 at 9:39pm
Bottom line here? This entire concept for a Three Stooges movie is incredibly lame. Personally, despite my own lack of respect for their work, I wouldn't mind seeing a well done, well cast (as this is not) biopic of the comedy team. I think that could be interesting. But this is evidently just an attempt to recreate some of their work. The sad thing here is that with the present state of filmmaking in Hollywood, they just might pull off something lame enough to do the Stooges justice, but why bother? Their work hasn't exactly disappeared from the collective film archives if any of us happen to get drunk enough to sit through some of it.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: February 12 2010 at 1:45pm
What do you mean "Bottom line"?Your statement has nothing to do with what I said.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2010 at 5:46pm
Try to keep up Vita...I'm making a point with reference to the entire thread...one actually on topic.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 10:48am
Sorry.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 10:54am
So...is this happening or what?

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 3:27pm
This film is set to begin filming in March, but evidently without Penn and Carrey for certain and Del Toro also appears to be unlikely. At this point, there are only rumors as to who actually will play the leads. The Farrelly brothers evidently intend to stick with the original plan to make it essentially a reshoot of some of the old 3 Stooges shorts rather than a biopic. That is a shame.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2011 at 12:25pm
Sean Hayes will play LARRY and Will Sasso will play CURLY.That seems to fit better.

-------------

Posted By: Kphilly
Date Posted: April 13 2011 at 9:31am
I have found that remakes usually suck and almost always disappoint. You have a very high expectation because of the reputation of the original and you are almost always let down.  

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:48am
Folks,it's coming(whether you want it or not):

-------------

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 7:43pm
Well yeah no need to point out the obvious.

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: October 29 2011 at 3:00am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Print Page | Close Window