Print Page | Close Window

DRAGGIN’ Indeed!

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION
Forum Discription: Is This a Case of Too Pitiful, Too Late??
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3571
Printed Date: November 26 2014 at 7:08am

Topic: DRAGGIN’ Indeed!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: DRAGGIN’ Indeed!
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 5:22am

REMINISCENT of the RAZZIE®- NOMINATED 1987 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093507/ - MASTERS of the UNIVERSE MOVIE, the LIVE-ACTION VERSION of http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=350 - DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION ARRIVED AT LEAST TWO YEARS TOO LATE to BE of INTEREST to MUCH of ANYONE AT ALL...   

ADD IN THAT the ORIGINAL MATERIAL WAS MEDIOCRE at BEST, the CASTING INCLUDES a 28-YEAR-OLD PLAYING a TEEN-AGER, the EXECUTION HERE IS STRICTLY BY-the-NUMBERS (and THAT FOX's ALMOST NON-EXISTANT AD BUDGET ON THIS SUGGESTESTS EVEN THEY ARE EMBARASSED by the FILM) and YOU CAN SEE WHY WE THINK THESE BALLS SMELL an AWFUL LOT LIKE RAZZ-BERRIES.

SO, FEEL FREE to GRAB SOME PAST-ITS-SHELF-DATE HAIR GEL, SPIKE UP YER TRESSES, and START THROWIN' SOME HARD BALLS...'CAUSE ONCE YOU SEE the DVD, YOU'RE LIKELY to BE THROWIN' Z-Z-Z-Z-Zs...

GOKU: "So, Bulma...wanna play with one of my balls?!?!?"

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:11am
Once again... I have a Goku and a Vegeta tattoo, and this looks like an all out abomination.

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 8:21am

It was exactly a decade ago when "Dragon Ball Z" was big and my friends and I were talking about how cool of a live action movie it would be. This is NOTHING like the movie we had in mind.

Meanwhile, Keanu Reeves will star in and produce the live action "Cowboy BeBop" movie. He said he's a big fan of the series and if he doesn't like the script, he won't do the movie. Wow, that's pretty sad when the fate of a movie depends on what Keanu thinks is a "good" script.

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 10:03am

This Americanized anime thing is unpleasant.  Live action DB, live action Cowboy Bebop, CGI Astro Boy (w/ Nick Cage as Dr. Tenma), etc.  I kept getting mad when Adult Swim took away all that anime, but now I wonder if they drove people away to protect the anime from Hollywood.  There were rumors of a live action Evangelion as well.

As for DBE, you can tell there are over 9000 things wrong with it just by looking at the commercials.  No Krillin whatsoever, a white Piccolo (he's supposed to be green), no blue hair for Bulma (the producers? apparently said coloring Rossum's hair would make her look weird or something?), the school-boy Goku thing, the "discovering" of his powers, etc., etc., etc.

Did the people making this movie even watch the show?

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:43am
*Rabidly booes the over 9000 joke.*
As for Piccolo, he's KINDA green, and Bulma has blue streaks in her hair.
As for making a live action movie... There may have been a time when I didn't hate the idea, but now I definitely do, this movie aside. I remember thinking that during the final Matrix movie (which I hated) and during that final fight scene where Neo and Smith are flying that, "Ok, I guess it'd be possible to do a live action DBZ movie now at least." But I didn't really want it that badly. Now I really don't. And after this movie, I really, really, really don't.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 12:28pm

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Did the people making this movie even watch the show?

I doubt it. If they did, they would know each season goes like this: First ten episodes, there is this all powerful and evil being who wants to destory the planet, and he's killed all my friends. Quickly, we must collect the Dragonballs and wish them back to life. Next ten episodes, I'm fighting the super villain, but I'm too weak. I must power up for my fatal energy blast. Ten episodes later, I'm still powering up for my fatal energy blast. Ten episodes after that, okay I fired my energy blast ... but I missed! Ten episodes later, no matter, I defeated the super villain with a different energy attack that didn't take an entire season to power up for. Last ten episodes, I have all seven Dragonballs, and I wished my friends back to life. All is right in world ... until next season ... when an even more powerful super villain will show up.

Yeah, based on that, I kinda don't blame the producers for wanting to go a different path ... like not making the movie at all would have been nice.

Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 1:06pm
The beginning of the original Dragon Ball was pretty boring for a while.

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:15pm
If this show follows the format of the series as shown on Cartoon network, the first half will be a recap of what happened previously, then there will be about 5 minutes of "Powering up" and then as the credits roll, they will tell you what is going to happen in the sequel... They will carry on this way until there are too many damn movies to count, and all but the most rabid fans have given up.

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: April 07 2009 at 4:05pm

Sounds like a major stinker, alright.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: April 07 2009 at 6:52pm
I am so glad I will be out of town for the weekend, and hopefully not able to stop to see this stinker before my work week starts up...

-------------

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: April 07 2009 at 7:39pm
This is going to be easily worse than last year's Speed Racer.

Date Posted: April 08 2009 at 3:30am

Easily? There is nothing "easy" about being worse than Speed Racer!

I think this movie would actually have to make the audience burst into flames to manage being "easily worse" than Speed Racer...

Originally posted by cvcjr13

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2009 at 6:39am

Someone told me that at least Speed Racer had a lotta pretty colors in it...

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: April 08 2009 at 2:24pm
Oh my God, this movie looks terrible! I remember loving this show ten years ago. Then again, I loved "Waterworld", "Deanzilla" and "Jurassic Park 2" at that time to, so my taste was a little off back then. The worst part of this movie; it looks worse than "Hannah Montana: The Movie"!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: April 08 2009 at 5:11pm

Then every theater manager had better equip all the ushers with fire extinguishers wherever this turd screens, because Dragonball: Evolution will be easily worse than Speed Racer.

Speed Racer collapsed on several levels http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2693&PN=1&TPN=2 - of which I detailed over on that movie's thread , but this adaptation of the beloved Dragonball series appears to simply crater, as would the mind of anyone lured into watching.

Even sadder is, this may not even be the worst movie aimed at kids being released this weekend.  I really feel for parents this weekend.

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Easily? There is nothing easy about being worse then Speed Racer... I think the movie would actually have to make the audience burst into flames to manage to "Easily" be worse then Speed RAcer.

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: April 09 2009 at 4:10am
While I could care less about Dragonball Evolution this weekend (this is a glorified DTV release that will be forgotten come next week), it truly is a slap in the face for fans of this franchise or anime. Here you've got a chance to make a big-ass martial arts epic, and you hand it over to the director of the miscalculated Black Christmas remake (Billy had yellow skin, Mary Elizabeth Winstead put on the most retarded southern accent since Jessica Simpson did Daisy Duke, and blood = filled theater seats), while it should've been given to Stephen Chow (who executive produced). Chow would've been able to burst open every opportunity to give the film the personality it so desperately needs. Instead, we've got a watered-down, family-friendly version that has suffered nothing but negativity from fans.

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: April 09 2009 at 10:04am

For full disclosure, I did not watch the last 45 minutes of Speed Racer. I couldn't. It is possible that the last 45 minutes were a fertile garden of sophisticated dialogue and coherent storytelling, but I doubt it. Let's face it, the cheesy dialogue made the script from Gigli look like freaking poetry, because at least you could tell that Gigli's script was written by (incompetent)adults, but the people who made Speed Racer probably hired a seven-year old to write most of the script while they worked on the visuals. And not to mention the plot gets outrageously convoluted at the point I shut it off.

Remember when people were complaining about the Wachowski's Matrix sequels and saying they made you dread mentioning their name when they really weren't that bad?

Speed Racer actually is that bad.

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2009 at 2:41pm

I have a new phrase for movie adaptations like this: Catwoman-ized. It suits an adaptation that is adaptation in name only, because although it shares the title or character names of the source material, the adaptation's story has little or nothing to do with the source material's story.

Example: The "Dragonball" cartoon is all about an alien child who crash lands on an island with his old fighter who raises the child as his own and teaches him how to fight. Later on, they meet more characters and take on an alien invasion with help from the wish granting Dragonballs. HOWEVER: In this "Dragonball" movie, they went the way of the token "it was all a thousand year old prophecy about a chosen one saving the world". Of course, the "chosen one" is a teenager who is a social outcast of his high school that is bullied by jocks and hopelessly longs to hook up of the school's supernaturally hot Asian girl. He gets superpowers and learns how to use them by a wise mentor who gives him cliched words of wisdom like "true power comes from within", and as a result, schools the jocks and wins over the supernaturally hot Asian girl. By the third act, the alien invasion finally shows up and the Dragonballs come into play, a superpowered engery blast later ends the alien threat, and end with a cliffhanger in order to set-up for a sequel, repeat.

Gee, how many times must that story be told?

PS: I know of only one person who really, really, really wants to see this movie full price in theaters. His reasons are 1. To see how bad the movie will be. 2. He believes if this movie does well at the box office, the sequel will be better (there's moviewizguy logic for you). I had to explain to him in three different ways that when a crappy movie is successful, it doesn't lead to a better sequel, it just leads to crappier sequels. And also like moviewizguy, he refuses to listen to reason.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 3:22am

Speed Racer wasn't that bad. I'm sure the few people who actually saw that movie turned out to like it. The plot was sophisticated, but still easy enough to understand. The performances were great (and you can't say they weren't -- they were). The visuals were simply fantastic, the action scenes mind-blowing (including the acid trip finale).

There's nothing you can complain about. It's an action movie with brains and a plot.

Easily? There is nothing "easy" about being worse than Speed Racer! I think this movie would actually have to make the audience burst into flames to manage being "easily worse" than Speed Racer...

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 7:37am

It might have had "brains and plot", but those were easily lost in the overly colorful and ADHD paced visuals. It was bad enough to get a Worst Sequel/Remake Raszzie nom. 

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 9:33am

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dragonball/news/1812302/weekly_ketchup_dragonball_hangover_sequels_announced - WHAT? Apparently, they are already working on a sequel to DBE and have the script done.  It also mentions the new guy for Freddy Krueger, but the focus here is DBE.

We don't even have figures for this movie yet...though http://blogcritics.org/archives/2009/04/10/0025532.php - one source predicts a weak opening .  Also, I heard some stuff that the actual budget for this movie was only $50 million, not the $100 million initially listed.  I don't know if that is true.

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Michaels

It might have had "brains and plot", but those were easily lost in the
overly colorful and ADHD paced visuals, and was bad enough to get a
Worst Sequel/Remake nod.

Dead on! Whatever articulacy the original screenplay once had was clearly
lost in translation because what appeared onscreen was a cold artless
lump. Granted, the visuals are amusing to look at, but if you're over the
age of 5, then in no sense will they be able to salvage this stiflingly dull
and useless "action" movie.

One more thing, while the Wachowskis do film the race sequences with
some nice style, all of the all of them together are still inferior to the
amazing car chase sequence the Wachowskis made in the second
Matrix movie, which is still in my #1 spot for "Best Car Sequences of
All Time".

Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by movieman

All Time".

Whatever happened to the twin albinos with the cornrows?  I'd guess they would eventually get taken over by Agent Smith since they were software programs, but they never appear in the third movie.

Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 2:11pm
Yeah, it's never explained what happened to them, but my best guess is that
they reported back to their master, the Merovingian.

And Dragonball is now sitting at 18%, and according to the critical
consensus, it's lacking in both style and substance, meaning this
could be worse than Speed Racer*shudder*.

Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by Michaels

It might have had "brains and plot", but those were easily lost in the
overly colorful and ADHD paced visuals, and was bad enough to get a
Worst Sequel/Remake nod.

Dead on! Whatever articulacy the original screenplay once had was clearly
lost in translation because what appeared onscreen was a cold artless
lump. Granted, the visuals are amusing to look at, but if you're over the
age of 5, then in no sense will they be able to salvage this stiflingly dull
and useless "action" movie.

All Time".

Oooooh, I don't know about that. The Matrix 2 car chase was prtty fantastic, yes, but I like the ones more in Speed Racer. The Island had a fantastic car/aircraft chase too. Final Destination 2 had a fantastic, jaw-dropping car accident sequence. Yes, I know my car chases. Cellular had a simple but very effective car chase. Death Proof was also decent. For me, the best car chase sequence is one that has my heart pumping. I think the best, for whatI can think up right now, is Cellular, but that's just me.

Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 2:12pm
I also think that the twin ghosts are programs of the Matrix, as is the
Merovingian, so Agent Smith couldn't have consumed them to clone himself.

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: April 10 2009 at 4:36pm
Speed Racer is considered a Box Office Bomb both domestically and worldwide. Domestically, it made only up to a little more than $44 million, and add the worldwide grosses, it reached up to only a little more than $93 million on a $120 million budget, so, it's considered a Bomb alright.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:33am
I've heard BO numbers for DBE expected to hit $40m opening weekend. I've also heard that I don't always believe everything I hear.

By the way, Observe and Report was fricken sweet. When I'd heard Rogen's character compared to De Niro in Taxi Driver, I kind of shrugged it off, with this being a comedy. But he is definitely, DEFINITELY as crazy.

Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 9:19am
According to the estimates on BOM, Dragonball opened up with $2 million
on its opening day. It was expected to make $40 million, but depending on
the word-of-the mouth, it might not even make $4 million this
weekend.

Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 10:42am

weekend.

$2 million growing into $40 million within two days? That would have to be some amazing word of mouth, and from what I hear, DBZ fans are in an uproar over this movie. The REAL total it will make, anywhere between $5-10 million before dropping off next week.

Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 2:53pm
No, I meant before the weekend started they predicted it would make $40
million, but yeah, for this movie to gross $38 million in two days is less
likely than Uwe Boll sweeping the Oscars next year.

Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 4:27pm

weekend.

Not surprised. Even I didn't know the film was released this weekend. I mean, really, there was, literally NO COMMERCIALS AT ALL! It's kinda stupid. Fox doesn't seem to have faith of this film in America. Worldwide, Dragonball is a hit, actually.

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 5:06pm

I know $40M is an outrageous estimate for something that's competing against a teen-magnet and a cop comedy, but I think I might have found who or what might've given you that thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6IgU3m3lM - LINK .  Ironically, he doesn't comtemplate its competitors, but he does give a logical reason why it might make that much, even though it was overestimated.

As far as Razzie nominations go, the only category that this film would probably make is Worst Remake or Ripoff, but it'll probably end up losing to Friday the 13th.

Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 12:31am
I'm STILL seeing random praise for the movie out and about out there. I'm wondering if it's not part of an inside sarcastic joke, though.

Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 10:32am

Haha, it made only $4 million, same as "Street Fighter: Chung-Li". That means it barely made a million dollar per day. That's just sad. Maybe H-Wood will get a clue and stop all productions of live action Americanized anime adaptations. Oh who am I kidding, H-Wood remains clueless no matter what.

Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 3:48pm
Just because this film isn't catching on doesn't mean there haven't been some horrible, horrible successes to throw everything off. F&F, Haunting in CT, etc...

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 8:42am
My friends saw the movie in theaters because they just had to know how bad it really was. They said it was on par with "Catwoman"! They even said the movie erased all memories of any good films they have ever seen in their lifetimes. "Godfather", "Citizen Kane", "Goodfellas", "Pulp Ficition", all replaced with memories of this horrid movie. When I told them I was a voting member of the Razzies, they told me that this movie better be listed all over the voting ballot come voting season. Word had it a sequel was already in the works. Judging from this stink bomb at the box office, that sequel will never come to be.

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 11:54am
This movie had one really big thing going for it. Expectations were so low, that all it had to do was not result in spontaneous brain aneurysms to actually be considered a success, which could explain why there are a smattering of good reviews. I have to admit that there is a morbid sort of curiosity that makes me want to head out and see this film, and so far I have had better things to do... Next week though, I may have to do bad movie catch-up... And may the FSM have mercy on me then.

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 12:04pm
My classmates and I LOATHE this movie. This movie has GOT to "win" Worst Screenplay!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 2:00pm
I rented DBE on my PS3, and it made me LOL.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

My classmates and I LOATHE this movie. This movie has GOT to "win" Worst Screenplay!!!

As I wrote above, my friends hated it, too. As for winning Worst Screenplay, that's going to be a hard choice considering all the other crappy screenplays there are to choose from. It's almost like the studioheads figured "Since this movie is going to be seen by mostly 12 year olds, we'll have 12 year olds to write it!" That would certainly explain alot.

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 3:51am
My morbid curiosity continues to linger, Waiting for this to hit the internet streaming movies on Netflix, then I don't ever have to touch a physical copy of this abomination... Of course, the spontaneous brain aneurysm might be a bad thing...

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 12:42pm

My morbid curiosity continues to linger, Waiting for this to hit the internet streaming movies on Netflix, then I don't ever have to touch a physical copy of this abomination... Of course, the spontaneous brain aneurysm might be a bad thing...
In the event you do watch the movie, just be sure to hide any and all sharp objects and poisoness material beforehand. It's for your own safety.

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 2:01pm

Michaels, I hope CriticalFrank heard your friends: This movie is like a Dementor: Its influence, as long as it lasts, wipes your memory clean of good memories and traps you with horrid ones.

CriticalFrank, unless it's curiosity like you've never experienced before, I'd take their word for it. If it is record-breaking curiosity, dispose of all guns, explosives, and poisons first, then remove from your access any and all swords, axes, spears, bracers (which enhance fist power), knives, maces, flails and nunchakus, bows and arrows, staves, flat weapons (like hammers and skillets), spell tomes, and all throwing weapons like boomerangs and shurikens.

Besides all that, my biggest fear is that my friends will see where this movie ranks on my Bottom 40 of Double-O-Nine, and they'll revolt: As deep as it ranked, it won't be deep enough.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

Besides all that, my biggest fear is that my friends will see where this movie ranks on my Bottom 40 of Double-O-Nine, and they'll revolt: As deep as it ranked, it won't be deep enough.
Considering you and I both have to warn people not to have any lethal objects near by when watching the movie, you would think this piece of junk would be somewhere in your Bottom 5 or 10, not 40.

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 6:09pm

Again, I watched it on my PS3... They have it on that at least. but yea, make sure you don't pay for it like I did. It's worth a larf, especially if you know anything about Dragon Ball, but this kind of behavior shouldn't be encouraged. It's like a kid poking a dead cat with a stick, it's kinda funny at first, but it gets disturbing after an hour or so.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: January 25 2010 at 6:28pm
It's like poking a dead cat with a stick? Aw hell yeah! Sign me up for that! I think I better buy multiple copies, just to be safe...

-------------

Posted By: bbally
Date Posted: March 06 2010 at 3:13pm
The only thing that was even watchable in this film was Chow Yun Fat, who I actually felt got the character about right (I stress on the word about though) 

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: March 06 2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by bbally

The only thing that was even watchable in this film was Chow Yun Fat, who I actually felt got the character about right (I stress on the word about though) 

Or the hotness that is Jaime Chung, but neither aspect is worth watching the movie for.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: March 06 2010 at 5:27pm
I like Emmy Rossum... but this movie is ONLY for people who:
A) Like Dragon Ball
B) Wanted to watch it to laugh at it

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 2:06pm
Here in Latin America,a lot of anime shows,includin'DRAGON BALL,were things that defined the youn'generations from the'90's,which includes me.So I want to know,from a fan's point of view,how bad is it.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 3:53pm
It's extremely bad. I've asked around my school what their most hated film was, and one of the five most common responses was Dragonball: Evolution.

SAN JUU BAN

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 4:01pm
It's the kind of bad you can laugh at, at least.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: November 21 2010 at 3:47pm
You were right.This was bad,but in a laughable way.

The biggest problem was that director James Wong changed a lot of things,knowing fans would get mad,in order for the movie to be more realistic.This is DRAGONBALL!It shouldn't be realistic!

I give this 3/10.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2010 at 5:36pm
Or lesson being Hollywood can't make a good live action anime movie even if the lives of their children depended on it.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: November 22 2010 at 9:00am
Actually Anime just can't be adapted into live-action.It's hard to explain but if you look at it you'll understand.

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Vits

Actually Anime just can't be adapted into live-action.It's hard to explain but if you look at it you'll understand.
Well yeah, the only thing you can really do is convert it a CGI film, but anime is just too creative and animated to be mad into live action.

-------------

Posted By: rushmore
Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:22am
Why didn't this movie swept the 2010 razzie ceremony? 

Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:06pm
Rushmore, at first I thought it was because it wasn't seen by a lot of people. But then I realized that ALL ABOUT STEVE did worse at the box office. Now I think it's because this movie didn't have major stars, and the Worst Picture nominees did.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window