Print Page | Close Window

JESUS - Is This SUPPOSED 2-B-A Comedy?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: C ME DANCE
Forum Discription: Get Thee Behind Me Satan...and While You're There, Let's Dance!!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3581
Printed Date: September 19 2014 at 7:15am

Topic: JESUS - Is This SUPPOSED 2-B-A Comedy?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: JESUS - Is This SUPPOSED 2-B-A Comedy?
Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 11:38am

http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=351 - C ME DANCE  TELLS the SEEMINGLY PREDICTABLE STORY of a "GIFTED YOUNG DANCER" WHOSE BOUT with LEUKEMIA BRINGS HER FACE-to-FACE with HER OWN MORTALITY. BUT, JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU'VE GOT the MOVIE PEGGED, SHERRI's ILLNESS ALSO STARTS BRINGING VISIONS of the CRUCIFICTION to ALL WHO TOUCH HER. EVENTUALLY, IT ALSO BRINGS HER FACE-to-FACE (LITERALLY) with...SATAN!

SEEMS OL' SCRATCH HIZ-SELF WANTS to STOP YOUNG SHERRI's GIFT for TRIPPING-the-LIGHT-FANTASTIC from BRINGING ANY MORE SOULS into JESUS' FOLD...

LIKE LAST YEAR's HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL (and HIGHLY RAZZ-ABLE) http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=289&PN=0 - FIREPROOF , C ME PANDERS to an ALREADY CONVERTED CHRISTIAN AUDIENCE. BUT, UNLIKE FIREPROOF, DANCE WASN'T EVEN GOOD ENOUGH for THAT AUDIENCE, TOTALLY BOMBING in BRIEF THEATRICAL RELEASE LAST SPRING...

BUT DANCE WAS A HIT with LOVERS of the ABSURD, the ABYSSMAL and the INCOMPETENT, COMING OFF LIKE SOME FRANKENSTEINIAN CROSS-BREEDING of FIREPROOF and FLASHDANCE...with JUST a HINT of SHOWGIRLS THROWN IN for BAD MEASURE.

IT DISAPPEARED SO QUICKLYfrom THEATRES,  YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE to HUNT to EVEN FIND IT on DVD. BUT AFTER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g46Ntg38cc - WATCHING the TRAILER and http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3580&PN=1 - READING the REVIEWS , WE EXPECT MANY a SERIOUS RAZZIE® VOTER WILL PUT IT IN THEIR NETFLIX QUEUE NOW...

SHERRI: "Jesus, Satan...what've you got -- Two left hooves!?!?"

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: April 11 2009 at 4:26pm
What...the...hell...

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 12:27am
Really? This had a theatrical release? I watched the trailer and thought for sure that it would be straight to VHS.

Posted By: PopcornAvenger
Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 1:49am

hehe

Well, at least you can give them marks for originality. Even if its hokey and incredibly dumb.

Can you imagine trying to be her boyfriend? "oh, baby . . . argh, not the crucifixion again! Okay, I'm out of the mood, ugh"

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 3:23am

Critic Luke Y Thompson had an excellent idea - watching C Me Dance back to back with Tommy Wiseau's The Room. I have a feeling that, if you were drunk enough, you'd never laugh harder!

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: movieman
Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 8:07am

Yeah, as in the DVD company would be too embarrassed to make copies of it... 

I was sure the same would happen with Freddy Got Fingered.

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Really? This had a theatrical release? I watched the
trailer and thought for sure that it would be straight to VHS.

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 10:37am

Could this be the Christian answer to "Battlefield Earth"?

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 2:07pm

Okay, the scorecard looks like this:

The Christians have this one and all those Left Behind flicks

Scientology had Battlefield Earth

The Mormons had September Dawn

The Nazis had The Passion of the Christ

(I know, I'm going to burn for that one...but if I wasn't going to already, that isn't going to push me over the edge)

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: April 12 2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

The Nazis had The Passion of the Christ

(I know, I'm going to burn for that one...but if I wasn't going to already, that isn't going to push me over the edge)

Hahahah... Sorry to use a cliche, but PWNT.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 14 2009 at 2:47pm

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: April 14 2009 at 3:21pm
This does look like another one of those forgettable films overall...

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: April 14 2009 at 5:41pm
I think it looks forgettable mostly due to the fact that none of us are actually going to watch it. Otherwise, it looks like a laugh-riot for the ages.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: April 15 2009 at 9:15am
So you think this film is going to be one of those unintentionally hilarious propaganda films? Could we have a new "Reefer Madness" on our hands?

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: April 15 2009 at 11:37am
Bout time this got a forum.

Honestly, I NEVER heard about C Me Dance until a review was posted up at Brian Orndorf's website. I was curious about it, and then I saw the trailer. Hoo-wee, I thought this was a joke. Combine the pandering of any Tyler Perry film with the acting of Showgirls, then throw in tired thriller cliches involving the main character going up against Satan. There you go.

The same deal was with Fireproof. I never heard about the film until I read about it on a website, namely this one.

Just more proof that Christianity has become a laughingstock and an excuse for filmmakers to reel in cash.

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Date Posted: April 15 2009 at 11:59am

No dawtabawtit.

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I think it looks forgettable mostly due to the fact that none of us are actually going to watch it. Otherwise, it looks like a laugh-riot for the ages.
So you think this film is going to be one of those unintentionally hilarious propaganda films? Could we have a new "Reefer Madness" on our hands?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:15pm
If this movie is anywhere near as hilariously awful as Reefer Madness, I'll have to watch it... Although the Christian Propaganda part makes it a little less appealing...

Perhaps it is more of a "Wait for it to hit cable" kinda film... that way I can do shots as I watch, and not have to worry about driving home afterward...

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2009 at 2:05pm
I'm not really sure which channel would pick it up, aside from a specifically religious one.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:01am
But that would require those religious channels to take Kirk Cameron off the air for a large chunk of time... unless they decided to digitally insert him into every scene, to make the movie more Christian-y...

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 2:27am
I just had an idea for a new cable network: Christian Classic Movies (CCM) They can hire Pat Robertson to introduce all the films just like Robert Osborne does on TCM...assuming that Robertson isn't too busy saying looney things on his own show.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 9:23am
I just bought Saved! yesterday. I feel like that helps counteract the evils of C Me Dance.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 9:34am

I need to see that movie. I've always wanted to see it, but never got around watching it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 9:37am
I personally recommend Bill Maher's documentary Religulous...but I doubt it will make it on CCM.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:00am

Religulous' biggest downfall was that the subject matter wasn't taken very seriously at times. But of course, that is Bill Maher for you. Still, the movie loses a great deal of impact by not being serious.

And I think someone should slip this one in onto a religious network... I'd love to see the fallout from that!

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:23pm
Well, I think the problem with Religulous was that the theme wasn't what you thought it was going to be... It wasn't anti-Christian or Muslim, it was pro-rational thought. And some people who might've seen it thought they had it figured out before they sat down.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:26pm
Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie (more than I really should have) but I still think it missed the mark by a bit.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:31pm
Actually I think that Maher made his point rather well. His argument isn't with belief, it's with the sort of organized belief that we call religion.  Whatever flavor that takes on, it ends up buying you The Crusades, The Inquistion and crashing airplanes into skyscrapers. Kurt Vonnegut was on target when he said, "What Jesus should have said was this: 'Yay verily, for whenever two or more of you are gathered together in His name, someone else is about to get their @ss kicked.'"

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:35pm

Actually I think that Maher made his point rather well. His argument isn't with belief, it's with the sort of organized belief that we call religion.  Whatever flavor that takes on, it ends up buying you The Crusades, The Inquistion and crashing airplanes into skyscrapers. Kurt Vonnegut was on target when he said, "What Jesus should have said was this: 'Yay verily, for whenever two or more of you are gathered together in His name, someone else is about to get their @ss kicked.'"

... I should totally make that quote into my next Signature some day...

But I think, if Bill had approached the topic with a little more seriousness, and a little less jocularity he might have managed to be a little more convincing to some of the folks teetering on the edge, rather then just providing another movie for the rabidly religious to attack.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:41pm
The radibly religious would mount their steeds and draw their swords no matter what approach he took, so I think the least threatening way to drive the point home is with a measure of humor. I think that approach tends to make people stop later and think, "yes, that was funny, but maybe he has something there." Otherwise, people just feel they are being preached to from the other side.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:57pm
A touch of humor perhaps, but at times, Bill went and got downright insulting, rather than thought-provoking...and that's going to make just about anyone who isn't predisposed to similar thoughts prepare to fight....

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 8:37am
I agree with Bill Maher's idea that ending religion would be the first step towards world peace, however as humans, we always seem to feel we must be divided among each other for some reason. We could all be the same race, color, creed, sex, etc., and we would still find something different about us to fight over.

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 11:50am
Of course. It's just the nature of the species. Although, I imagine if everyone where the same race, color, creed, and sex, we wouldn't have to worry about the fighting for too long, since we'd all die out in a single generation. :)

Indeed, getting rid of religion would give people one less thing to fight about, and even though there are those that argue that religion is a force FOR peace, I have yet to see such peace actually come about.

-------------

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 9:19pm

I think it says volumes when this thread has stopped being about C Me Dance and start being about Religulous.  Myself, I'd like to someone slip Dogma on the proposed CCM. . . .

I watched the trailer, and this looks worse than Fireproof.  Christina DeMarco is as amateurish as an actor can be, and she has the main character!  Some of the scenes from this trailer reminds me of the hokier moments from Argento's otherwise superbly filmed Suspiria.  Now, there's a combo for all of us!  I'm guessing Suspiria will win in that matchup.

I love the comment about Satan blowing feathers out of his butt.  When I saw that scene in the trailer, I started busting up. 

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 11:32pm

I again, bring up Saved!

God I love that movie -- Religious parody with no religious commentary.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 9:47am

I again, bring up Saved!

God I love that movie -- Religious parody with no religious commentary.

Saved would, if anything, get listed on a guilty pleasures list. I mean, it isn't an awful movie, but I wouldn't exactly call it great...

Now Dogma on the other hand... THERE'S a religious movie I can watch over and over...

-------------

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 4:26pm
Why is this reminding me of the Robert Kaufman script Jessica that he
tried to film after he did Love At First Bite? I remember a synopsis of the
script about Jessica Carpenter living in the San Fernando Valley, discovering
she was the daughter of God after she walked on the water of her house's
swimming pool and her brother Jesus dropped by and he turned a gallon of
milk into Häagen-Dazs. Then Jessica got 12 of her "Valley Girl" pals to follow
her and the things just spiraled out of control after that.

Now THAT is funny

Date Posted: April 18 2009 at 5:46pm

Now Dogma on the other hand... THERE'S a religious movie I can watch over and over...

I liked the general theme of Dogma and it was pretty funny. The only objection I had to it is my basic criticism of all of Kevin Smith's work: TONE DOWN THE LANGUAGE A NOTCH!!!!! I realize that there is a whole generation out there that isn't familar with a single adjective other than that potent four letter word beginning with the letter "f", however, perhaps he could use his writing talents to introduce them to a few. I've never taken the time to actually count how often that particular word pops up in one of his movies, but I'd bet it typically hits 3 figures. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I don't think it's all that necessary even once.

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 12:04am

I liked the general theme of Dogma and it was pretty funny. The only objection I had to it is my basic criticism of all of Kevin Smith's work: TONE DOWN THE LANGUAGE A NOTCH!!!!! I realize that there is a whole generation out there that isn't familar with a single adjective other than that potent four letter word beginning with the letter "f", however, perhaps he could use his writing talents to introduce them to a few. I've never taken the time to actually count how often that particular word pops up in one of his movies, but I'd bet it typically hits 3 figures. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I don't think it's all that necessary even once.

Here we would get into an old debate, and that is whether or not words by themselves are powerful, or if people give those words power. This four letter f-word that you speak of, has no intrinsic power. The offense that people get from hearing it, is a trained response. I for example, could use the word "lamp" to mean the same thing, and inject just as much anger, and vitriol into that word. Yet, no one is going to say "Stop saying 'lamp', it's offensive." It is a word, that people have given so much power, that of ALL the words in the dictionary starting with the letter F, it is the ONLY one that gets referred to as "the f-word".

It is actually a very interesting commentary on society, to think that there are is a list of words that are just so offensive that they should never be spoken. Considering all of the societal ills out there, I think the use of so-called "foul language" is waaaaaaaaay at the bottom.

Why should we put limits on our own language? If a word exists, it exists to be used...

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 12:45am
I don't know if I've OD'ed on Smith over the years, but I generally can't stand his stuff anymore. The way the lines are delivered... The dialogue feels really fake to me... I dunno. I've got like a thing with a friend of mine where we watch Mallrats a lot, which is MY favorite Kevin Smith movie, which should show you about how "on the same page" I am with most people here on Kevin Smith.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 1:12am

I don't know if I've OD'ed on Smith over the years, but I generally can't stand his stuff anymore. The way the lines are delivered... The dialogue feels really fake to me... I dunno. I've got like a thing with a friend of mine where we watch Mallrats a lot, which is MY favorite Kevin Smith movie, which should show you about how "on the same page" I am with most people here on Kevin Smith.

While I loved Mallrats, I still go for Dogma and Clerks more often... Doesn't change the fact that I will regularly quote Mallrats in my day to day conversations...

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 1:41am
Mallrats is typically not a favorite, from what I gather. I tend to give people a lot of pretzels when debating the merits of Mallrats.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 4:29am
Ah yes, I'm a Kevin Smith fan myself, but I feel he has jumped the shark, nuked the fridge or whatever after "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". His movies have just not been the same ever since. And yes, saturnwatcher, he really does love a certain four lettered word that starts with "f", and I'm not talking about "fowl".

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 4:36am
Fart?! It's fart, isn't it?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 6:35am

Ah, yeah, sure.

Getting back to "C Me Dance", as bad as this movie is, I don't think it's not high profile enough for us to give any serious voting attention to. Now, "Obsessed", that is a movie that is VERY worthy of our voting attention.

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Michaels

Ah, yeah, sure.

Getting back to "C Me Dance", as bad as this movie is, I don't think it's not high profile enough for us to give any serious voting attention to. Now, "Obsessed", that is a movie that is VERY worthy of our voting attention.

Obsessed? Worthy of Attention? Because it stars Beyonce, right? You wish to shower praise and adulation on Ms. Knowles for her wonderful film. It's so "Obvious". :-P

And as far as C Me Dance goes, if someone hadn't brought it up on this site, I doubt I would have ever heard of it...

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 3:28pm

I'd put it this way...ignoring the implied power of the word I suggest to be objectionable (and yes, words DO and must have power and meaning), suppose that we substitute, say, the word "red" for the other one in every instance. How tired are you going to be of the word "red" by the end of a Kevin Smith film? My guess is that your ears will spontaneously bleed every time you hear it again for a week. There are a lot of words in the dictionary and confining one's self to one in particular for the sake of shock value has a certain lazy quality to it that is worthy of criticism.

I think Smith also tends to glorify certain things that probably don't need endorsement, but that is a subject for another forum and I'd rather let it lie here. I think he is actually a pretty talented guy who has unfortunately boxed himself in by limiting his appeal to an audience that in itself embodies underachievement.

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 3:46pm

I'd put it this way...ignoring the implied power of the work I suggest to be objectionable (and yes, words DO and must have power and meaning), suppose that we substitute, say, the word "red" for the other one in every instance. How tired are you going to be of the word "red" by the end of a Kevin Smith film? My guess is that your ears will spontaneously bleed every time you hear it again for a week. There are a lot of words in the dictionary and confining one's self to one in particular for the sake of shock value has a certain lazy quality to it that is worthy of criticism.

I think part of the reason you hear the word so much, is that it offends you so much. You'd probably be surprised that Kevin Smith, from my experience, can use that word a whole lot less in 90 minutes, then Christian Bale can in 4... But the problem is, is that people are so offended by the word, that they tend to hear it, and the impact that the word has on them, is what makes it seem like it is all that is said.

And as far as words having power, they have only the power that we give to them. As long as you continue to allow a word to offend you, it will. When one comes to embrace the fact that words have no power in and of themselves, one will by necessity be less offended by the words.

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 4:15pm

I take issue on two counts:

1. At the point that you permit words to loose power, they also tend to begin to loose meaning at which point language itself begins to become ineffective: Or, at the very least , begins to loose it's ability to rally people to action or thought. While there may be some benefit to that, it is clearly a very dangerous, double-edged sword.

2. Even allowing for disagreement with point 1., it still remains that reapeated use of a particular word can become a distraction and annoyance. Dogma certainly isn't the only example of Smith overusing that particular word...it is quite characteristic to his work.

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2009 at 4:53pm

I take issue on two counts:

1. At the point that you permit words to loose power, they also tend to begin to loose meaning at which point language itself begins to become ineffective: Or, at the very least , begins to loose it's ability to rally people to action or thought. While there may be some benefit to that, it is clearly a very dangerous, double-edged sword.

Again, it is not the WORDS that have power, it is the person that USES the words. Words have no more power then a gun sitting on a counter. Until someone picks up that gun, it is just a piece of metal. Likewise, until someone uses the word, it is without power.

The reason that word has a specific power over people, is because they are told it is taboo. It is a forbidden word. It has nothing to do with the meaning of the word, since the word can mean many things, (There is a fairly good comedy routine about the usage of said word, can probably find it somewhere online). The word itself, is the gun. And until people learn to stop fearing the gun, others will use it to intimidate, and offend them.

2. Even allowing for disagreement with point 1., it still remains that reapeated use of a particular word can become a distraction and annoyance. Dogma certainly isn't the only example of Smith overusing that particular word...it is quite characteristic to his work.

Well, then... I take offense to the repeated use of the words "a" "and" "to" & "the". Do you have any idea how often those words are used on a daily basis? The overuse of those words has "become a distraction and annoyance." Those words were used entirely too much in "Gone with The Wind" (one of them is in the title!)

Now, I'm not trying to belittle you in this (actually, I quite respect your personal beliefs, unfortunately, they are not convictions that I can personally adhere to) I just think it is erroneous to attribute the power to the words themselves.

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 12:26am

And as far as C Me Dance goes, if someone hadn't brought it up on this site, I doubt I would have ever heard of it...

Yea, it looks pretty bad, but any voting members who don't get on the forums aren't going to know what this even was. They'd see it on the ballot and assume they missed another "girl teaches bad boy life lessons through the power of prancing" movies.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 6:14am

Yea, it looks pretty bad, but any voting members who don't get on the forums aren't going to know what this even was. They'd see it on the ballot and assume they missed another "girl teaches bad boy life lessons through the power of prancing" movies.

Yeah, it's one of those waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay under the radar crap fests that no one hears about, and thus no one cares for... except the churchy types, and they are all over stuff like this, because it promotes their particular agenda...

If it was a movie that was being released in more then a handful of theaters (and as far as I can tell, none of those theaters were near me) I should have totally started up a protest outside the theater, like the Christians did with Da Vinci Code, Golden Compass, Religulous, Dogma, and pretty much every other movie that either has a mild atheistic message, or speaks ill of the invisible man in the sky....

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:30pm
. . . or casts Alanis Morrissette in the role of the Big Guy in the sky. . . .

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:35pm

You know, the HeadRAZZBerry alerted enough of the membership to Dirty Love so that movie went on to sweep the Razzies.  C Me Dance may have left the theatres so quickly he couldn't arrange a Razzies get together in some theatre to be tortured by, er, to watch it, but there may be some other way of getting the word out.  Maybe have a Netflix/Razzies mailer to the membership encouraging them to burn out their eyes, er, to watch it? . . .

Otherwise, it will possibly be this year's Strange Wilderness, well-deserving of a nom if not a win, but never making the ballot because no one saw it.

I still wish people would have rented Chevy Chase's Funny Money to see just how howlingly bad that movie was.

Date Posted: April 20 2009 at 11:47pm

Yeah, it's one of those waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay under the radar crap fests that no one hears about, and thus no one cares for... except the churchy types, and they are all over stuff like this, because it promotes their particular agenda...If it was a movie that was being released in more then a handful of theaters (and as far as I can tell, none of those theaters were near me) I should have totally started up a protest outside the theater, like the Christians did with Da Vinci Code, Golden Compass, Religulous, Dogma, and pretty much every other movie that either has a mild atheistic message, or speaks ill of the invisible man in the sky....[/QUOTE]

I had an instructor in college for my TV classes who made religious movies like C Me, and they looked about on par with it. I found it kinda funy. <---spelled right.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 4:43am

I had an instructor in college for my TV classes who made religious movies like C Me, and they looked about on par with it. I found it kinda funy. <---spelled right.

Did you not do anything stop these actions? Like perhaps tell the instructor that they lacked talent? Won't you feel bad when you find out that your instructor was actually involved in the C Me Dance... Yeah, I bet you'd feel pretty bad knowing you had a chance to stop it. :)

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 5:23am
I actually went ahead and checked after you said that. I didn't see his name on there. And the thing about this guy was, he was a REALLY nice person... But he was a hardcore bastard about grades. You got graded more on how well your script was marked when you were going to direct than the final product itself. Like, I got marked down a bunch for not having straight enough lines to designate where the AV cues were. But he was so nice that you just couldn't get mad at the guy. And let's face it, the people who might actually want to see C Me Dance or his stuff are really actually probably looking for something like that. I'm positive none of us would've heard of it unless whoever brought it up had. (I could've sworn it was someone other than HRB)

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 12:32pm

If a gun is sitting on a table, and someone who doesn't like you much is five steps closer to it than you are, the gun becomes a pretty powerful thing in and of itself.

Actually, I even have the Supreme Court on my side on this one, at the point where they ruled that the First Amendment doesn't give anyone the right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. Yes, words DO have power in their own right, and they should.

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 4:18pm
The word "fire" has no power, until someone actually yells it, and people interpret it. Not a power in itself. For instance, I am shouting Fire over and over again as I type this... nothing. I am thinking the word fire... nothing.

You are mistaking the power of the person USING the word with the power of the word itself. Words are basically meaningless empty shells that are defined by the people. I for instance can not just make up a word, and everyone will automatically KNOW what I mean by it. If words themselves had power, then everyone would know exactly what I mean when I say "Grubbelfutts" or "Shpadoinkle" or even "Hordonik."

However, I am fairly sure no one has any idea what those are meant to convey (well, except perhaps Shpadoinkle)... 1) Because I made them up (again, except for Shpadoinkle) and 2) The words themselves have no power. It is through people's associations with those words, and vocal inflections, as well as body language that the spoken word gains meaning, and only through associations that the written word gains meaning.

If the above scenario, doesn't work for you, try this. Go to an average English-speaking person, and tell them "You're shoe is untied". They may look, but even if they don't they will be able to comprehend it. Now, find a person who doesn't speak English. Say the same thing to them. They will have no idea what you are saying, because the words have no power in and of themselves. They must be used by someone who understands them, and interpreted by someone who understands them, otherwise, they are meaningless dribble.

However, since we are obviously making no headway in this, I'd recomend it get dropped.

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 6:04pm

But actually saying it is the point of communication. If you don't believe there IS power within the word, I propose an experiment...Go into a crowded theater; for our purposes, we'd have to exclude ANY movie that is directed by Uwe Boll obviously...I'm not sure Hannah Montana is going to qualify either...but let's say you can actually find one...

So, you go into this theater and shout, "BANANAS!" In that action, I guarantee the reaction will not be anywhere close to the reaction you will get from "FIRE!" If you wish to do the comparison for yourself, I promise that we'll do what we can to take up a collection to bail you out when you carry out the second half of the experiment.

I'd be willing to bet that as a published author, Head Razz can also attest to the fact that phrasing ideas in certain ways can provide signficantly more impact than others, yet another demonstration of the inherent power of words.

Further, that power isn't necessarily invested in individuals. If Peewee Herman shouts fire in a crowded theater, the reaction probably won't be signficantly different than it would be coming from James Earl Jones.

[QUOTE=saturnwatcher]

Fire has no power, until someone actually says it, and people interpret it. Not a power in itself. For instance, I am shouting Fire over and over again as I type this... nothing. I am thinking the word fire... nothing.

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2009 at 8:04pm
Once more, your ideas do nothing to show power in the words THEMSELVES, but in the person using the word. The word is a tool. Without someone using it, it HAS NO POWER. A word can not spontaneously come into existence. A word can not shout itself in a crowded movie theater. Just like the gun, if NO ONE is using it, IT HAS NO POWER. Ergo, a word has no power in itself.

So as I said, we should just drop this, because it is going nowhere.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 3:16am

My final comment is simply this: I do understand the point you are attempting to make, but here is where your argument fails: A person with a pea shooter simply doesn't present the same threat as a person yielding a loaded A.K. 47. You may correctly argue that words are tools, but not all tools are created equal, just as not all words have the same potential impact due to their inherent meaning and perception of threat, which is the base of their potential power.

Similarly, not all of the potential is invested in the individual yielding the tool. A sharpshooter with a gun can do a lot more damage than a guy who is nearly blind and has never picked up a gun. Similarly, the mute who walks into a theater probably won't have much impact walking into the crowded theater and attempting to convey his message.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 3:13pm
Try watching either Step Up or Step Up 2. Well, actually, I tried to, but I just kept falling asleep through both of them.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by sportsartist24

Try watching either Step Up or Step Up 2. Well, actually, I tried to, but I just kept falling asleep through both of them.

What, you weren't a fan of the Step Up series? You didn't think it was worthy of EVERY OSCAR ever made?

Shame on you :-P

(To be fair, I've refused to watch up any movie titled "Step Up"...so the above statements should be taken as humor, and not as a serious statement)

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 1:01am

Hmmm, "Step Up 1 or 2" with the devil? That might have improved those movies greatly! Um, a second thought, maybe not.

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 3:37pm

Hmmm, "Step Up 1 or 2" with the devil? That might have improved those movies greatly! Um, a second thought, maybe not.

Step Up With The Devil? That would have been a much better title then "C Me Dance" .... Seriously, what the hell is up with the lame title?

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 12:15am
Sheesh... I've been gone a couple of days and all the posts get all long and detailed and not-moronic...

I wish the Wayans Bros. would've waited to make their dance movie spoof as to include C Me. Because there's a slim chance I'll actually see Dance Flick, and an almost nil chance I'll ever even see C Me in a video store.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 4:20am

Sheesh... I've been gone a couple of days and all the posts get all long and detailed and not-moronic...

I wish the Wayans Bros. would've waited to make their dance movie spoof as to include C Me. Because there's a slim chance I'll actually see Dance Flick, and an almost nil chance I'll ever even see C Me in a video store.

That'll teach ya to disappear, dEd. I hope you've learned your lesson.

As far as seeing C Me Dance in the video store, why would you even be looking for something like that? ...Wait, nevermind... I remember some of the garbage you've said you've watched back to back... This would probably just be a drop in that bucket o' crap. :)

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 5:59am
Ahem... I believe it's YOU who've pointed out the need to see crap every now and then. And I'm inclined to agree.
But no, I probably won't actually rent it, but I'm sure I'd get chuckles o'plenty (which would make an excellent character in my new F&F sequel, F&F: Backseat Driver) at just the sight of the box.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 7:26am

Ahem... I believe it's YOU who've pointed out the need to see crap every now and then. And I'm inclined to agree.
But no, I probably won't actually rent it, but I'm sure I'd get chuckles o'plenty (which would make an excellent character in my new F&F sequel, F&F: Backseat Driver) at just the sight of the box.

Well, yeah, I suppose I did say that at some point, but even I have limits to the crap I can put up with... Christian-y propaganda movies are a little too much for me to swallow.

And are you proposing to name a character in your F&F movie "Chuckles O'Plenty"?   You....are a GENIUS! :)

-------------

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 8:19am

Really? This had a theatrical release? I watched the trailer and thought for sure that it would be straight to VHS.

Don't you mean Betamax?

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by moorlock2003

Don't you mean Betamax?

I was hoping for straight to Laserdisc. But yeah, Betamax works. Everyone knows it is miles ahead of those old film reels...

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 4:45pm

You think any video stores will be able to put the DVD of this movie in anything cheaper than a bargain bin? Like, I don't know, a shoebox that is kept next to the dumpers behind the mall?

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 4:46pm
It might end up being $5 at Wal-Mart. Then again, it's just me talking.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2009 at 11:19pm
Betas are actually better than VHS, but they lost the "new tech" war, like HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Betas only held an hour of video at first, which is what led to VHS's eventual take over. They've since been improved. But I can tell ya now, places that still have some hold-over analog playback use Beta.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:03am

Betas are actually better than VHS, but they lost the "new tech" war, like HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Betas only held an hour of video at first, which is what led to VHS's eventual take over. They've since been improved. But I can tell ya now, places that still have some hold-over analog playback use Beta.

I didn't think anyone used Beta or VHS anymore... wow the wonderful things I learn on this board!

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:42am
We stopped using VHS altogether, but yea... Kinda just for recording back-ups of shows. Not meant for actual use, just for when stuff goes... Awry. (Rarely happens, but it has.)

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 1:12am
I use DVD for most everything... Still trying to get a taste for the fancy BluRay stuff...

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 2:18am
Just wait a while until DVD is closer to becoming obsolete. It's still not the best way to go, economically speaking.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 8:00am

According to "Tropic Thunder", the real reason why VHS and Blu-Ray defeated Betamax and HD-DVD is because VHS and Blu-Ray were willing to support porno titles and Betamax and HD-DVD wouldn't. In the end, whichever format agrees to sell porn titles is the one that companies go with.

Date Posted: April 28 2009 at 10:10am

According to "Tropic Thunder", the real reason why VHS and Blu-Ray defeated Betamax and HD-DVD is because VHS and Blu-Ray were willing to support porno titles and Betamax and HD-DVD wouldn't. In the end, whichever format agrees to sell porn titles is the one that companies go with.

Porno as the deciding factor in the technology wars? Interesting theory. That explains why the internet worked out so well.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 12:16am
I thought it was because in the future, C Me Dance was going to be released on a series of 5 betas. The movie would weigh 10 pounds when you'd buy it.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 12:24am

I thought it was because in the future, C Me Dance was going to be released on a series of 5 betas. The movie would weigh 10 pounds when you'd buy it.

Then, it won't just be a deadly psychological weapon, it will be a deadly physical weapon, too!

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 12:34am
I've heard that if you throw it at a demon, it will burn its flesh, as would a Bible.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 29 2009 at 12:45am

I've heard that if you throw it at a demon, it will burn its flesh, as would a Bible.

Next time I see my boss, I'll have to try that out... Sadly, I only see the boss once in a great while.

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 11:57am
If there's ONE movie no-one will recognize, it's this one. I hope it doesn't get nominated for anything!

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2010 at 11:59am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

If there's ONE movie no-one will recognize, it's this one. I hope it doesn't get nominated for anything!
It won't, it was WAY TOO low profile.

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 16 2011 at 12:52am
This is currently on YouTube for free viewing. I'm twenty minutes in and it's f*cking hysterical.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: July 16 2011 at 1:38am
SchumacherH8ter, could you please provide I link....

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 16 2011 at 8:37am
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=G75E_4wwbl4&feature=mv_sr - http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=G75E_4wwbl4&feature=mv_sr

There's one line in here that definately belongs on a T-shirt: "Everyday, God's creation is going to hell and it's really starting to piss me off!"

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Print Page | Close Window