Print Page | Close Window

Early Discussion of ANGELS & DEMONS

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: ANGELS & DEMONS
Forum Discription: Another Un-Asked-For Sequel to a Movie (Almost) No One Actually Liked...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3599
Printed Date: July 22 2014 at 12:36pm

Topic: Early Discussion of ANGELS & DEMONS
Posted By: sportsartist24
Subject: Early Discussion of ANGELS & DEMONS
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 8:23am
We still have until May 15 until this movie comes out, but I think it's time to dis-cuss some opinions and thoughts on this movie. Tom Hanks returns and Ron Howard, nominated for a RAZZIE in 2006 for Worst Director for The Da Vinci Code (and lost to M. Night Shymalan deservingly), are back in this sequel to The Da Vinci Code. This time, Hanks teams up with this cast that includes Ewan McGregor, Ayelet Zurer, Stellen Skarsgard, etc. Just like its precedor, this movie will most likely end up being on the ballots. Back in 2006, a lot of us have expected it to bomb at the Box Office, but it ended up making $217.5 million domestically on a $125 million budget, with an additional $540.7 million oversees, which make it a Box Office hit, but it was still a critical disappointment. Please feel free to post your thoughts and opinions on this movie.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Replies:
Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 9:52am
Will probably be better than the first because they're amping up the pace.

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 1:10pm
Ah, after Christians hitting us over the head with "C Me Dance" and "Fireproof", now we non-believers get a turn of having people pay to see our beliefs on screen in an attempt to convert people. And yes, I do think the movie's plot about how the Church would kill to keep their secrets because why would you want to lose the world's best money making scam, er, I mean, the most successful and socially accepted cult?

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 3:07pm
Though after that RAZZIE nod, Howard did made a comeback with Frost/Nixon, which is already out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 3:42pm

This movie is giving me the same kind of nightmares that I was having last spring prior to the release of Indy Jones and and the Kingdom of Ridiculous Alien Skulls. Is it too much to hope for a nuking the fridge scene?

It's the kind of thing that gets the really nutty listeners to the A.M. Coast to Coast radio show all stirred up. All summer long, they are going to be raving about aliens and the Illuminati and Richard Hoagland is going to be cheerleading with weird stories about secret organizations running the world from the backrooms of Old Navy Stores. (No kidding folks, he really said that once and he was dead serious.)

I didn't mind the first book or movie all that much...the basic plot was at least plausible and even a little thought provoking. But this one seems to be red meat for the lunatic fringe and that sort of thing always makes for a long summer for me reading emails. They come from people who somehow break away from talking to lamposts long enough to flood the mailboxes of anyone working in a scientific field just to accuse us of being involved in some mammoth conspiracy. Typically,  participation in it is. from any rational perspective, wildly against our own interests, both professional and financial, but we participate anyway because we are, of course, just fundamentally evil.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: April 22 2009 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I didn't mind the first book or movie all that much...the basic plot was at least plausible and even a little thought provoking.

First Movie, I'll give ya, but DaVinci Code was NOT the first Book, it actually is predated by Angels and Demons by 3 years. DaVinci just got made first because it was the one that was more able to rile the religious, and get huge amounts of free publicity. (Make a movie that says the church might be wrong, and you get a whole firestorm of free publicity). And now that they have the character out there, they can make a movie of the original (and superior) novel.

And from what I have seen, the catholics aren't yet lining up to give this one free publicity, so looks like they have to pay this time...

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 3:30am

I think that some of the religious organizations are finally starting to catch on...sometimes you are better off just ignoring the attacks. Then when the reporters come and ask you about it, you can always just say, "Sorry, we haven't seen it and based on what we have heard, we see no reason to dignify this nonsense with a response."

That approach tends to work better than inviting everyone within earshot to see for themselves.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 9:20am

I think that some of the religious organizations are finally starting to catch on...sometimes you are better off just ignoring the attacks. Then when the reporters come and ask you about it, you can always just say, "Sorry, we haven't seen it and based on what we have heard, we see no reason to dignify this nonsense with a response."

That approach tends to work better than inviting everyone within earshot to see for themselves.

Yes, some critics say censorship is like free advertising. The more the Church says to boycott it and not see it, the more people are going to be curious about why not and even more people will go see it.

My question is will voters on IMDb vote it as the Worst Movie of the Year like they did with "Da Vinici Code"? Talk about not voting based upon the actual quality of the movie! Sure, it was slow and kinda boring, but it was pretty good compared to say "BloodRayne", which came out that same year.

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 9:58am
Agreed...DaVinci Code wasn't a great movie, but it was a long way from being worst of the year. I think we have seen adequate demonstration that the credibility of the IMDB crowd is pretty low.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 10:36am

Agreed...DaVinci Code wasn't a great movie, but it was a long way from being worst of the year. I think we have seen adequate demonstration that the credibility of the IMDB crowd is pretty low.

Yes it is, when you also take note that moviewizguy comes from that IMDB crowd.

Date Posted: April 23 2009 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Michaels

...but it was pretty good compared to say "BloodRayne", which came out that same year.

Most movies were pretty good compared to Bloodrayne. Hell, getting kicked in the teeth while simultaneously being bludgeoned to death with a large metal pipe is better then Bloodrayne.

-------------

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 12:41am
What I never got about Da Vinci is that it's really not THAT anti-religious... It's rather ambivalent, actually. Angels and Demons seems kinda bleh to me... The whole church assassin thing is pretty hard to believe. If they haven't come after ME yet, there's clearly no such thing.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 4:53am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

What I never got about Da Vinci is that it's really not THAT anti-religious... It's rather ambivalent, actually. Angels and Demons seems kinda bleh to me... The whole church assassin thing is pretty hard to believe. If they haven't come after ME yet, there's clearly no such thing.

What DaVinci did, was spread a message that was against Catholic (and I think all other Christian sects) Dogma. And everyone knows, you don't with the Pope.

Also, I think the church assassins would have reason to go after me, too... I am not on their list of preferred individuals...

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 6:13am
I dunno, it still just seems like the moral was, "Do you believe or don'tcha? Up to you." It just didn't feel all that anti-Catholic to me. Meanwhile, I still wonder why when attacking religion, so many go after Catholicism, which is really one of the more moderate religious institutions, these days. I mean, go after the crazy mega-church Baptists if you're going after Christians.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 7:42am

I dunno, it still just seems like the moral was, "Do you believe or don'tcha? Up to you." It just didn't feel all that anti-Catholic to me. Meanwhile, I still wonder why when attacking religion, so many go after Catholicism, which is really one of the more moderate religious institutions, these days. I mean, go after the crazy mega-church Baptists if you're going after Christians.

Why go after Catholics? Other then the priests and their... unorthodox desires? Besides their constant need through the years to decry scientific advances as evil? Not including the fact that they see themselves as the end all be all of everything?

Sure, every group has their problems, but you go for the ones you are most familiar with.

And as far as nothing "Anti-catholic" in DaVinci Code, the whole plot of the movie is fairly "Anti-catholic" In so far as it says that certain parts of the catholic faith (and all other christian faiths that I know of) are lies. It says that the church specifically mislead the public, and was willing to kill to keep that secret, thus vilifying the institution.

-------------

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 8:14am

Originally posted by sportsartist24

Though after that RAZZIE nod, Howard did made a comeback with Frost/Nixon, which is already out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Comeback to what? I can't imagine a more unappealing movie to watch; an actor trying to portray that bully Richard Nixon. After having to endure 8 too-real years of those a#$holes Dick 'n the Bush, why would anyone want to shell out $11 to watch a fake Dick?

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by moorlock2003

Originally posted by sportsartist24

Comeback to what? I can't imagine a more unappealing movie to watch; an actor trying to portray that bully Richard Nixon. After having to endure 8 too-real years of those a#$holes Dick 'n the Bush, why would anyone want to shell out $11 to watch a fake Dick?

From what I hear, people shell out way more then $11 for fake dick... But, I that's neither here no there. Who wouldn't want to see the guy who played ing Skeletor in that horrific Dolph Lundgren Master's of the Universe playing Richard Nixon. All you have to do is picture him saying "I'll get you, Frost" in Skeletor's voice every time he opens his mouth... (cartoon Skeletor, not Frank Langella Skeletor)... or, in your mind, substitute The Grimace (from the old McDonald's commercials) in the Nixon Role. It can do wonders for just about any movie. It sure as hell helped me with http://www.digitalpimponline.com/strips.php?title=movie&id=421 - The Day the Earth Stood Still! (sorry, had to pimp out that comic. I have to say, that huy in the first panel looks awfully familiar.)

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 7:12pm
Frost/Nixon was actually pretty good. I really don't think they tried to portray Nixon as anything other than what he was.

*SPOILER ALERT...?*

Throughout the movie, you get to see Frost's adaptation and evolution to Nixon's defenses. It's really a good insight on how one should interpret politispeak, especially for journalists.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 7:15pm

Frost/Nixon was actually pretty good. I really don't think they tried to portray Nixon as anything other than what he was.

*SPOILER ALERT...?*

Throughout the movie, you get to see Frost's adaptation and evolution to Nixon's defenses. It's really a good insight on how one should interpret politispeak, especially for journalists.

It is one of the many movies that are on my pile of movies I need to watch.... Been a damned busy week for me, haven't been able to watch it yet.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2009 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by CriticalFrank

It is one of the many movies that are on my pile of movies I need to watch.... Been a damned busy week for me, haven't been able to watch it yet.

I wouldn't call it a MUST see, but a should see.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: April 25 2009 at 4:14am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I wouldn't call it a MUST see, but a should see.

Since it is a Already own, It is part of my MUST see collection.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window