Print Page | Close Window

ANGELS in the Out-House....

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: ANGELS & DEMONS
Forum Discription: Another Un-Asked-For Sequel to a Movie (Almost) No One Actually Liked...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3627
Printed Date: December 21 2014 at 1:44pm

Topic: ANGELS in the Out-House....
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: ANGELS in the Out-House....
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 4:20am

FOR the MILLIONS WHO READ DAN BROWN's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vinci_Code - INTERNATIONAL BEST-SELLING NOVEL THE DA VINCI CODE , http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/ - the 2006 MOVIE MADE from IT WAS BEYOND DISAPPOINTING. IN FACT, MANY WERE SURPRISED WHEN IT GOT AWAY with http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/awards - ONLY ONE RAZZIE® PARADE.

AND WHO NOSE, IT COULD BE a FRONT-RUNNER for OUR 2009 WORST PREQUEL OR SEQUEL AWARD...

TATOU: "What's that stench??"

HANKS: "Guess word-of-mouth on that first film was kinda...chunky..."

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 5:26am
I'd never read Da Vinci, but it was fairly obvious that it just didn't translate very well. Quite frankly, this one looks even less appealing, and the overall plot seems a bit more far-fetched.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: tomsmo35
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 5:56am

I noticed that Hanks does have a Hair Cut in this one, so at least I won't have see Hanks with long hair on every talk show, like he did when he made Da Vinci Code...

-------------

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 6:21am

I'm going to wait until I actually see the movie before I say anything about it. I will say that this was kind of a predictable choice, considering the hatred that was lumped onto the Da Vinci Code...

And... is what Tomsmo saying there even English? The words by themselves make sense, but strung together as they are... All I can say is... "Huh?"

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Posted By: Movie Man
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 7:22am

I read both books, and while I liked them, I did not like "The DaVinci Code" that much. I will see "Angels & Demons," though, since the book was intriguing to read.

But THIS movie on the Forum (when feedback is already on the positive side) is seriously messed up. And I'm still a little upset over the "Horton Hires a Ho" addition last year...

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 8:39am

I never thought this movie would have a spot here. But then again, it's hard to make a "thriller" out of a book that's mostly just a bunch of people standing around talking about all of the Church's dirty little secrets (which are probably true).

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 8:53am

I think the plot is supposed to be far-fetched...yet still not hard to believe. I heard some people found the things true in those books, including myself (for a second). But, yes, it's hard to translate the book onscreen. I've read the Da Vinci Code and I've got to say: It is a page turner. Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger, which is why I think people loved the book so much.

However, can you make a movie a page turner? Nope.

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I'd never read Da Vinci, but it was fairly obvious that it just didn't translate very well. Quite frankly, this one looks even less appealing, and the overall plot seems a bit more far-fetched.

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 9:30am

It is easy to understand why this movie showed up here. The Da Vinci Code was pretty much panned by everyone, and this is the only major release this coming out this week... 

Although, I am fairly surprised at how quickly this showed up...

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Movie Man

I read both books, and while I liked them, I did not like "The DaVinci Code" that much. I will see "Angels & Demons," though, since the book was intriguing to read.But THIS movie on the Forum (when feedback is already on the positive side) is seriously messed up. And I'm still a little upset over the "Horton Hires a Ho" addition last year...

It IS the only major release next week, and The Da Vinci code WAS one of the most primal forms of mediocrity known to man. There are positive reviews, yes, but Wolverine was sitting at 100% for quite some time. I agree that we can't judge it just yet, but it's the only logical choice, between this and a bunch of indie movies.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 5:23am

It IS the only major release next week, and The Da Vinci code WAS one of the most primal forms of mediocrity known to man. There are positive reviews, yes, but Wolverine was sitting at 100% for quite some time. I agree that we can't judge it just yet, but it's the only logical choice, between this and a bunch of indie movies.

Well, shouldn't indie movies count, too? Wasn't "C Me Dance" an indie flick? Or are we only mocking movies that are backed by million dollar studio budgets? A bad movie is a bad movie, regardless if it was made by a studio or not.

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 5:50am
Well, yes, of course, but they also aren't always quite as bad. At least indie movies have to try a little. Angels & Demons' viewers will come from fans of the book(s) or (try not to giggle) fans of The Da Vinci Code movie. Again, not to cast too much judgement on the quality of this film.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 6:48am
While indie films should be considered, this film was practically begging for the "honor" of being worst of the weak... After seeing how the Da Vinci Code was received. For the Head Razz to choose anything else would have been a huge surprise. Sort of like how a horror remake could be released alongside "Barney the Dinosaur vs The Martians" Produced by Michael Bay, and Written by Seltzerberg, and the Horror Remake will get the worst of the weak hands down...

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 7:50am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Is what Tomsmo saying there even English? The words by themselves make sense, but strung together as they are... All I can say is... "Huh?"

To CriticalFrank: Sorry for the bad post, what I was trying to say was I don't see how this time around Tom Hanks won't be back on every talk show promoting this movie with long hair, like he did when Made The Da Vinci Code.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 9:49am

Well, that makes more sense... Couldn't quite make out the previous post, sorry about that.

Originally posted by tomsmo35

To CriticalFrank: Sorry for the bad post, what I was trying to say was I don't see how this time around Tom Hanks won't be back on every talk show promoting this movie with long hair, like he did when Made The Da Vinci Code.

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2009 at 10:07am

Actually, the Bay/Seltzerberg movie could be the Worst of the Weak, and Horror Remake #48765894729 could be a Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak. Ah, number button mashing, it always gets the point across. 

While indie films should be considered, this film was practically begging for the "honor" of being worst of the weak... After seeing how the Da Vinci Code was received. For the Head Razz to choose anything else would have been a huge surprise. Sort of like how a horror remake could be released alongside "Barney the Dinosaur vs The Martians" Produced by Michael Bay, and Written by Seltzerberg, and the Horror Remake will get the worst of the weak hands down...

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Michaels

Actually, the Bay/Seltzerberg movie could be the Worst of the Weak, and Horror Remake #48765894729 could be a Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak. Ah, number button mashing, it always gets the point across. 

I don't know... I think that the Horror remake would be placed as worst of the weak... But that might just be a personal belief that some of the choices have been based on personal dislike, rather then the movie actually being the worst...

-------------

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 2:38am

I read The Da Vinci Code, and although Dan Brown was good at hiding certain facts from the reader in plain sight, I found the book to be literary fluff tailored for the many conspiracy theorists I've encountered. 

I tire of conspiracy theories quickly.

I still haven't seen the movie, but since most of the book was spent talking about what things meant and how they related to the conspiracy theory treated as fact, I couldn't see the resulting movie being any better than a blah-blah-blah with some action.  I'm not surprised what I've read says that's what happened.

I brought up http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2789&KW=angels - Angels & Demons almost a year ago.  The controversy of the Roman Catholic Church blocking any filming within its churches was brought up then -- it's way old news, although the CNN link in the original post is now dead.  The only reason they made this move is because http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=davincicode.htm - The Da Vinci Code made over $750 million worldwide .  Based on what I've seen in the trailer, despite most everybody being back on board, it seems they've listened to previous criticisms and improved it in ways that mattered, including Tom Hanks' hair. 

As such, I'd expect http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1189217-angels_and_demons/ - Angels & Demons to have a better rating at Rotten Tomatoes than http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/ - The Da Vinci Code .  But I also expect another blah-blah-blah with some action.  But this time around, it seems they've punched things up better.  So, expect the current RT rating to go down once several more critics weigh in.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I just visited the other movie review compendium site,  http://www.metacritic.com/film/ - MetaCritic , and saw that, with 4 reviews counted, http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/angelsanddemons - ANGELS & DEMONS currently has a lower approval rating than http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/nextdayair - NEXT DAY AIR . This, too, will likely change as more reviews come in, but it does suggest ANGELS is unlikely to be a smash by any stretch...

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 12:53pm
I saw on Rotten Tomotes that they have A & D at 60% I think I skip like I did with Code, and just Both go see Star Trek and T4

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: May 12 2009 at 2:52pm
The film's getting good reviews. As of right now, it's 60%. Not necessarily a good thing, so we'll see come Friday whether or not Angels and Demons is better, worse, or equal to The Da Vinci Code.

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 1:24am

Well, this one is hardly in Razzie territory yet... But we'll have to see how it turns out. Perhaps we will find that the early reviewers are just trying to bring it down before it gets a cahnce...

I'll be there opening day, after I work, give blood, get some sleep...and maybe eat...

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 8:55am

I love the idea the film takes place in one day. I didn't realize that, which helps the pacing move a little faster, and with less talky scenes...

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 3:16am

I'd imagine from the word-of-mouth that it'll stay around 60% (it's at 54% at the moment). But it's still the lowest rated movie out this week. I'm sure it's perfectly mediocre, which is actually not that bad for a summer release.

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

The film's getting good reviews. As of right now, it's 60%. Not necessarily a good thing, so we'll see come Friday whether or not Angels and Demons is better, worse, or equal to "The Da Vinci Code.".

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:24am
Mediocrity is better then some of the crap that gets shoveled into the summer movie season... I still cite Speed Racer as perhaps the worst summer movie that I have ever seen... and likely will ever see...

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 11:42am

Apparently "Star Trek" is the best that the summer movie season has to offer right now.

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 11:53am
Well, it has received high accolades... Too bad it isn't the worst that the season had to offer, because then the bar would be pretty high....

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 2:42pm

The reviews are pouring in, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1189217-angels_and_demons/ - and Angels & Demons is slowly going down the drain .

My favorite cracks amazingly come from two "positive" reviews.  Ebert says if you are "forgiving," then the film succeeds.  Travers describes it as "hell-raising hooey" and that you may enjoy if you go along with it.  Implied in both is the idea that you'll have to work a little harder at suspending your disbelief (or maybe just enjoy it for what it is).  To me, that's a big warning -- this movie isn't as good as it should be.

Overall, though, it seems almost every review, good or bad, declares this movie to be a definite improvement over The Da Vinci Code.  Most critics, though, also add that that's still not good enough. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 7:05pm
I'm fairly surprised with the promotion machine on Angels and Demons. I saw Tom Hanks on both Good Morning America and The Daily Show on the same day, and Ron Howard was on The Colbert Report the same night. I know they all hit the others (Letterman, Leno, Ferguson, Conan) for this kind of thing more regularly, but yea... They're on a roll. Tom Hanks has brought back his whole comedy thing for it even, although maybe a little old school.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 1:53am
It's a big movie, of course there are going to be huge amounts of promotion, especially in light of negative reviews, and stern discouragement from the largest money-making organization in the world, the Catholic church.

-------------

Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 2:22am

I am personally rooting for STAR TREK to kick ANGELS & DEMONS where the nuns don't shine. To me, TREK reigns as 2009's most perfectly crafted "popcorn movie," while ANGELS looks like a bunch of guys who offered us a crud buffet a coupla years ago who think we're dumb enough to ask for seconds on sh*t sandwiches.

What matters here is not whether ANGELS sux as bad as DA VINCI did, it's the idea that we're expected to forget how disappointing CODE was and pay good money to see a second film from the same folks who effed up the first one.

I suggest, if DEMONS is of any interest to you (and if you're a RAZZIE® Voter, it sure looks like it should be) that you wait and rent the DVD...  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 3:45am

I feel that movies always play better on the big screen, so I'm going the best way I can, and I am going to see DEmons for free (I have enough free movie passes that I should be able to manage no problem).

Besides which, I believe in second chances. I'm willing to give these folk a chance to redeem themselves and see how well they do.

Yeah, Star Trek was a great Pop Corn flick... lots of fun. As I said either here or elsewhere on the forums, we could only be so lucky that Star Trek was the worst the Summer had to offer...

-------------

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:22am
When The Da Vinci Code came out, many of us were expecting it to bomb at the box office, but to our surprise, it made money at the box office both domestically and worldwide. As for this one, we'll have to see how much it will make starting with this weekend.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:42am

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

I am personally rooting for STAR TREK to kick ANGELS & DEMONS where the nuns don't shine. To me, TREK reigns as 2009's most perfectly crafted "popcorn movie," while ANGELS looks like a bunch of guys who offered us a crud buffet a coupla years ago who think we're dumb enough to ask for seconds on sh*t sandwiches.

I guess it will depend on how many Catholics go to see "A&D", just so they can get all outraged about it.

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 1:07pm
It seems likely that I'll be able to finagle free passes from work, if need be. That's probably the only way I'd see this in the theaters.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 2:25pm

Free passes are the way to go. I get mine because of the number of movies I see, or for fixing people's computers (They pay me in movie theater gift cards). I think people are begining to catch on that I might be obsessed with movies (But not at all obsessed with "Obsessed")

Also I propose an alternate title to this thread "Angelzzzz & Demonzzzz" See, since the "zzzz" denotes sleeping and what not... cause seriously, that's what I wanted to do for most of the movie... and I swear to you, everytime I started to nod off, Tom Hanks shone a bright flashlight right in my eyes...

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2009 at 12:47am
Well that's just disappointing. It'd be nice if you could count on what many consider to be a good book (I have no idea, myself. I haven't read anything since I read the Lord of the Rings in Spanish about 5 years ago.) to do some justice in movie form. That, or maybe it convinces people to stop making adaptations. I'm happy either way.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 7:09am

Some adaptations have been really good. A couple of them have even gone so far as to earn Oscars and whatnot... But thi smovie is just preposterous, and dull...

Hopefully this week's releases will not be as disappointing.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 7:24am
I don't feel too encouraged this week. I want to see Terminator because I'm a big Terminator fan, and while there's probably been 1 too many movies at this point (I didn't DISlike 3, but it seemed unnecessary), there's room for 1 more. Now, the fact that they're working on T5 already worries me a bit...

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 8:00am
I think T3 should be disregarded... especially since one of the stars (at least) went on to star in a Uwe Boll masterpiece...

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:42am
What bothered me about 3 was that 2 was kind of about "there's no such thing as fate, you can change the future, blah, blah, blah" but then 3 was like, "Ok, give up. It's more interesting if the world blows up.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 12:16pm

3 just didn't seem anywhere near as fun as number 2... But then again the new terminator in 3 seemed like basically a hotter re-package of the terminator from 2....

And sometimes, you just have to let the world blow up....

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 1:12pm

I think T3 should be disregarded... especially since one of the stars (at least) went on to star in a Uwe Boll masterpiece...

Two Uwe Boll masterpieces, actually. "BloodRayne" AND "In The Name Of The King". From what I have seen and heard of "T4", they are trying to make it a serious drama about human nature in robots and blah, blah, blah. That and they plug classic one-liners like "Come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" (I'm not kidding, I saw a preview On HBO, they do say those lines).

Date Posted: May 18 2009 at 2:31pm
I keep trying to pretend that "In The Name of The King" doesn't exist... and I will continue to do so.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 7:47am
They used "Come with me if you want to live" in Sarah Connor Chronicles.
I'm still tempted to see ITNotK.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 7:59am

Uwe Boll should not be allowed to create 3 hour long "epics" it's just a perversion of nature.

And I think the usher said "Come with me if you want to live" when I went to see House of the Dead.... Why didn't I listen to her?

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:16am
Seriously, it still blows my mind that HotD was in a theater anywhere. There was that Asian chick in a bikini or whatever, right? In the middle of the woods? I'm not imagining that again, right?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:35am
Yeah, Asian Bikini Chick did exist.... As did the horrible crappiness of teh film itself... Everytime I think of it, I can feel a piece of my soul die.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:43am
When your soul dies, did it go into a black room with a spotlight where it spinned around for awhile before fading into black?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 8:45am
No, it went to a place where there was a white horse... and the horse was pretty insistent about being ridden... I told the horse I'd rather walk, and... he didn't much care for that answer.

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:17am
Sorry, someone wrote "hot Asian girl in a bikini" and all the blood in my body went from my big head to my little head. What were we talking about again?

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 9:26am
I think we were discussing baseball or something...

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:45am
Angels & Demons is the thread we're in. So undoubtedly something that has nothing to do with that.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 1:41pm
So, baseball is a very good possibility... Or possibly random philosophical ramblings... We could discuss how Angels and Demons has a direct and profound impact on the Socratic definition of Piety as discussed in the Euthyphro...

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 2:27pm
I'm watching Hockey at work right now. Red Wings vs. Black Hawks... Kinda sounds like Angels & Demons.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 4:17pm
I think there is a baseball team named the "angels" ... isn't there?

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 1:17am
The LA Angels vs the New Jersey Devils. That'd be a fun fight.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 3:54am

The devils would win, because they are from Jersey, and probably have connections to the Mob.

CRAP! I just realized we had gone a while without saying Illuminati! What kind of thread about this movie Doesn't say Illuminati constantly... One might forget about the Illuminati if we don't constantly speak of the illuminati.

So...illuminati!! 

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 7:37am
I love that once again, the Illuminati/science are the bad guy. Damn those Illumanti.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 9:12am

The LA Angels vs the New Jersey Devils. That'd be a fun fight.

YES! Although, they play two totally different sports, but...what-ever!

-------------

Posted By: thomsonmg2000
Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 2:12pm
Just saw this film. I thought it wasn't really bad at all. Some parts, especially when Langdon is explaining the history, did not really flow well with the movie, and the movie was not really that amazing or mind blowing. But still, I may sound like mwg right here, but I think everyone, critics and you guys, are giving this film too hard a time. 

-------------
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 4:13pm
I was literally falling asleep in the theater. I don't know how much more damning things have to be when it can't even keep my interest... And I have watched a lot of really dull movies. I'm not giving the movie a hard time, I'm just telling it like I saw it.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2009 at 5:23pm

I was literally falling asleep in the theater.

So I guess it's good for something, just not entertainment.

Date Posted: May 21 2009 at 2:55am
Nope (illuminati) The movie is pretty much just (Illuminati) good for putting people to sleep. (Illuminati) Oh yeah, and occassionally reminding us about the Illuminati.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Michaels

YES! Although, they play two totally different sports, but...what-ever!

Steroids and bats versus pads and sticks... it's a fair fight.

And if we're giving it a hard time, it's just because there should be more expected from a movie based on a book this popular. I don't think anyone has to worry about it getting Razzed in the long run, we'll stop talking about it soon enough, I'm sure.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 1:37am
Well, Dan Brown's next book "The Last Symbol" isn't even out on the book shelves yet, and there's already a movie in the works for it.

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 2:43am
They really need to get pre-emptive with these things... Get the movie out before the book, so people won't whine about how the book was better. I think the phrase, "The book was better" should be made illegal. It's just a way for people to sound pompous and brag about how they read a book.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 6:23am
I think people need to stop comparing the movie to the book completely. Sure, I know the book is the source material, but the movie is an entirely different medium. There are certain limitations when one turns a book into a movie. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are seperate entities and should be treated as such.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 5:03pm
Not to mention, directors and screenwriters intend to make changes to movies compared to the books.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:11pm
Better yet, I think people should just stop reading altogether. They can just read subtitles. That's enough for me, anyway.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:31pm
People need to read, so they can complain when the adaptation of the novel they read doesn't faithfully recreate every single word from the book. Or, when the movie actually comes close, they can complain that the movie was trying to hard to be like the book, thus creating a wonderful lose-lose situation.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:57pm
Watchmen, anyone?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 2:36pm

It's just a way for people to sound pompous and brag about how they read a book.

I think people should brag about how they read a book.  It seems people don't read anywhere near as many books as they used to.  They play videogames, go see movies, watch television and surf on the Internet.  Newspapers have gone downhill.  I wonder if bookreading hasn't gone downhill as well.

And I'm pointing the finger at myself when I say this.  I used to read books and the L.A. Times all the time.  Now, when I want news, I go to CNN and MSNBC, and I surf the web a lot.  I mean, the last book I completed was Everything I Know I Learned at the Movies by John JB Wilson, and, considering the book is laid out with one page a scene from a movie and the page next to it some movie cliche or not-so-true truism you hear all the time in a movie, I'm betting the total word count was under 1000 words. . . .

Oh, yes, before I forget, it is an enjoyably funny book.

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 4:16pm
I mean, the last book I completed was Everything I Know I Learned at the Movies by John JB Wilson, and, considering the book is laid out with one page a scene from a movie and the page next to it some movie cliche or not-so-true truism you hear all the time in a movie, I'm betting the total word count was under 1000 words. . . .

Oh, yes, before I forget, it is an enjoyably funny book.

Hey, I own that book. I'm waiting for the sequel.

Date Posted: May 24 2009 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

It's just a way for people to sound pompous and brag about how they read a book.

I think people should brag about how they read a book.  It seems people don't read anywhere near as many books as they used to.  They play videogames, go see movies, watch television and surf on the Internet.  Newspapers have gone downhill.  I wonder if bookreading hasn't gone downhill as well.

Just for the record, I was making a rather dry joke. I don't really think that people shouldn't read, but I do get sick of "book was better."

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:29am

Everything I know I learned from the Movies? And only a thousand words you say? Sounds like it might be an interesting diversion for a few minutes... might have ot check it out.

When is the movie version coming out?

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:04am
I'm pretty sure the movie version would win a Razzie for sure.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:07am
Guaranteed Razzie winners are great. Although it does kinda kill the suspense...

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:25am
Yea. The author of that book sounds kinda like a nutjob. Like someone who would start some sort of cult around people who make fun of bad movies.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 8:25am

Yea. The author of that book sounds kinda like a nutjob. Like someone who would start some sort of cult around people who make fun of bad movies.

I know, right? And who would spend all their personal time talking to others about how bad, bad movies? Crazyness!

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 10:10am
Oh, gotta watch out for those nutjobs... next thing you know, they are starting their own awards ceremony or something...

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2009 at 2:54pm

Oh, gotta watch out for those nutjobs... next thing you know, they are starting their own awards ceremony or something...

I know, right, an awards ceremony that the winning actors, writers, and directors never show up for, no less! I can't image that lasting for very long; no way it would go on for something like, oh, 3 decades.

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:08am
This guy sounds kinda dangerous... perhaps we should have him locked up for his own good? Possibly let him watch some top-notch cinema during his "rest time". Perhaps the Uwe Boll collection on Blu-Ray!

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:16am
I'm thinking Battlefield Earth on loop. Actually, I plan on going and renting that, Xanadu, and Can't Stop The Music today, if I can find them all. After watching The Happening finally, I feel like I need more punishment.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:32am
the Happening is all the punishment one person needs... I think there was actually talks in the UN about banning the movie, since watching it is cruel and unusual punishment...

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2009 at 2:11am
I've been reading about people who take the little messages and morals seriously. That's pretty scary. However you want to swing it, you're trying to make a pretty picture with inferior paint. The performances were inexcusable. It was like watching Mark Wahlberg play Dirk Diggler again, only now he wasn't supposed to be a person with nothing to offer the world but large genitals.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 12 2009 at 5:18pm

Just seen this movie and was extremely disappointed with it, especially with the ending, but then again, all of us have been disappointed with the ending to this movie. So far has made $118 million domestically, inching closer to the $150 million budget, but already passed that mark with the total worldwide grosses with this.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:31am
I was really really hoping that this one would fail horribly. And come in with a world-wide haul that put it under it's production + Marketing budget... A failure of that magnitude might discourage future Langdon adventures... Unless the future adventure, is actually the tale of Prof. Robert Batman... that would be just fine.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 8:41am
I've heard they're penning Prof. Robert Batman into the new Sherlock Holmes, which, (I find unfortunate) looks fairly decent. But it is the fight we've always wanted to see... Holmes v. Batman.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 10:18am
Sherlock Holmes vs Prof Robert Batman, eh? That really would be a fight for the ages. England's greatest detective vs the greatest costumed detective and symbologist. Those two fighting against each other would be very interesting. Although, they probably won't get to fight for long. The fight will probably be revealed to be some kind of plot brought about by the collaberation of Moriarty and Penguin Cheney...

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:32pm
I'm picturing some sort of separating/combining robot system like the Power Rangers and Voltron.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:04am
Wait, Sherlock Holmes and Prof. Robert Batman are going to be piloting combining robots in this mash up movie? dEd, why the hell aren't you pitching these ideas to the studios, you'd be rich... Or laughed out of Hollywood, but c'mon, if Seltzerberg can find work, your ideas can surely find studio backing....

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 8:43am
No, Cheney and Moriarty use the robots, Sherlock and the Prof get mutagenic powers and are forced to grow by some sort of witch-like person. I'm going for the REVERSE of the Power Rangers model now... For creativity's sake. And trust me, compared to some ideas that H-Wood's had recently, I think these actually MAY be considered genius. We should all be working on this.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 1:46pm
The scary thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if H-Wood is already slapping together a movie based on these crazy ideas that Frank and dEd are throwing together.

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:07pm

Crazy Michaels....or BRILLIANT? All geniuses have their haters... I guess Michaels gets to be the Church to our Galileo... One day Michaels, you'll wake up and think "Wow, that was really something, and I had a chance to get in on the ground floor, but decided to mock it instead." And then you're going to be really sad...

Either that, or you'll get a good laugh out of my possible insanity, one of the two.

But yeah, having Moriarty and Penguin Cheney piloting the giant robots is a stroke of genius. Do we have any place in this movie for a giant blue talking head... I think Billy Crudup might be available, since he seems to have experience playing blue people...

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 7:37am
I really don't know where this came from, but I'd like to see the ghost of Dom Deluise play the giant floating head.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:07am

The ghost of Dom Deluise, eh? Interesting choice you have in disembodied heads. Would you settle for a CG Deluise?

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:27am
I'd REALLY rather have the ghost. I hear Scientology can produce ghosts, as long as they're of celebrities, and you pay them $10 million.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:35am
The ghost would be hard to direct, I think. Not to mention, how do you compensate a ghost for their work. Also, are there SAG rules defining the use of the departed in an SAG film?

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:41am
You have to go through GAG at that point. It's complicated, but it's how they made all of those George Burns movie sequels.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:48am
But GAG is such an unreliable organization, not to mention that their insistance of having a medium present on all sets is a little extreme.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:53am
GORD I hate the anti-spam filter on this site...

Retyping last post in summary - Just watched part of The Haunted Mansion. Bad Ghosts. Should be thrown out of guild.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Print Page | Close Window