Forum Name: LAND OF THE LOST
Forum Discription: "WInner" of 1 RAZZIEŽ for WORST REMAKE/RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3688
Printed Date: August 29 2014 at 2:59am

Topic: B.O. MoJo #s for LAND OF THE LOST
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: B.O. MoJo #s for LAND OF THE LOST
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 2:16am

It's rare that the too-often-in-bed-with-the-Industry Los Angeles Times admits a movie is a total box office bomb. But when the $100 million remake of http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/box_office/ - LAND OF THE LOST (whose ad budget is estimated to be $40+ million) opened to a pitiful $19 million, the Times not only couldn't put a happy spin on it, they went for the jugular, captioning a photo from LOST with the word "doomed," and including this startling sentence in their print coverage of the June 5 weekend box office: "Obviously aware it had a movie that would not be well-liked, the studio didn't attempt to build word of mouth."

To see if http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=359 - LOST lives down to the Times' dire predictions ("it will probably gross less than $50 million") here's a http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=landofthelost.htm - LINK to the B.O. MoJo page for the day-to-day grosses on http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=landofthelost.htm - LAND OF THE LOST ... 

UPDATE: The news for LOST was even worse when final figures came out Monday afternoon -- HANGOVER beat it by nearly 5-to-2, and LOST didn't even make it to $19 million. To make a bad situation for Universal and Will Ferrell still worse, The L.A. Times ran an extensive article on the front page of their Calendar section Tuesday, dissecting why HANGOVER succeeded and LOST failed. 

The article ends with a fabulous critic's quote from Lou Lumenick of The New York Post, saying LOST "does not seem aimed at any identifiable demographic escept fans of bad movies!" Here's a http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-bigpicture9-2009jun09,0,1401760.story - LINK to read what borders on being an obituary for Ferrell's movie career...

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 9:19am

If it does end up making less than $50 million, it will definitely be considered a Box Office Bomb. Semi-Pro wasn't close to reaching $35 million.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: CriticalFrank
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 9:35am

I hope LOST makes less then 50 mil. Then maybe (just maybe) someone will finally realize that Will Ferrell is not good in movies (unless he shows up in some kind of small Cameo role). Using him as the star is just a bad idea. I also feel bad for Anna Friel. After her show Pushing Daisies got cancelled, she had to move on to crap like this? Damn you ABC, look what you've driven her to! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So, CriticalFrank, you are the other fan of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0925266/ - PUSHING DAISES ?? For those who loved it as my family and I did, the final episodes are being "played out" by ABC in a Saturday night time slot for the next few weeks...

-------------
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:18pm
I watched Pushing Daises a LITTLE bit... Creative, interesting show, but not for me. LotL will doubtfully make 50m at this point... Lucky to hit 40, realistically.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:38pm
So apparently, it was me and the Headrazz trying to keep the Daisies alive... Sad. And I'm kinda pissed off, my local cable station decided to play one of the episodes, and then pre-empt it for a 2 hour long WEATHER broadcast. It's not like there isn't a whole...I don't know...WEATHER CHANNEL! Depriving me of my final chances to see the pie maker and his dead girlfriend... bastards.

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:47pm
From a local stations standpoint, they have to cut in for weather for the people who don't have cable, and only have those few options. Otherwise, people get blamed for not warning people, blahblahblah.... It's a big deal for them to cover. But having sat through FOUR HOURS and some change of weather cutins, I can't believe HOW they're even capable of talking for that long. As much as it sucks, there are some people out there who get really pissed when there's not enough coverage. I'm not trying to be "that" guy, defending it, I hate it as much as anyone else, but having been behind the scenes for some of these, including 3 short cut ins I've had to do today, I just thought I'd share some of the other side, that you aren't going to immediately think of.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 1:44pm
I was confused myself that a good actress like Anna Friel was in this movie. I guess she fell victim to the old "my rent is due, I have to accept whichever script is put in front of me" trick.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I hope LOST makes less then 50 mil. Then maybe (just maybe) someone will finally realize that Will Ferrell is not good in movies (unless he shows up in some kind of small Cameo role). Using him as the star is just a bad idea. I also feel bad for Anna Friel. After her show Pushing Daisies got cancelled, she had to move on to crap like this? Damn you ABC, look what you've driven her to! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So, CriticalFrank, you are the other fan of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0925266/ - PUSHING DAISES ?? For those who loved it as my family and I did, the final episodes are being "played out" by ABC in a Saturday night time slot for the next few weeks...

Actually, I watch the show too but didn't realize it was on at Saturday nights until two days before. It was a fantastic show while it lasted.

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:53am
If the stations were so concerned with the weather, they could have turned on one of those tickers at the bottom... or done something that would not have completely pre-empted all programing for 2 full hours....

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:09pm
That means reading though. We know that never works. Think about how much people avoid anything that's foreign and not dubbed.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:33pm
Yeah, but if it meant I wouldn't have to miss one of the last episodes of Pushing Daisies, those slack-jawed locals can learn to read for a damn hour... or possibly turn on a different channel...

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:40pm
I believe if you're slack-jawed, you're a yokel.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:31am
Well, my slack-jawed locals are slightly higher class than the yokels... The Yokels live down the road.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:00pm
Cletus' brood is mighty indeed. Twould be quite terrifying to be a slack-jawed local and need to compete with that.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:23pm
Cletus' brood is the stuff of legends. Him and his 15 girlfriends, and their 107 children, all of them being supported by the state, mind you. They have the makings of a small inbred army, which is why I keep petitioning my local government to put up barricades against possible invasion of the yokels.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 1:20pm
Well, you know what they say... Some folks'll never lose a toe, and then again, some folk'll, like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 11:59pm
Some folks'll never eat a skunk. Then again, some folks'll like Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 8:48am
Thinking about it... Putting 2 and 2 together, it seems possible that should a live action Simpsons be made in America, Will Ferrell might be a decent Cletus. Although, Hank Azaria would really make more sense... I guess I shouldn't even mention that.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 10:26am
A live action Simpson's movie.... Hank Azaria would make sense as half the cast... Because he is like half the cast....

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:37pm
Well, yea, and Harry Shearer and Dan Castellaneta. But I could see Hank actually putting on the proper outfit and making it work. And then the voice would be right. But obviously, a live action Simpsons movie would be terrible. I thought they were supposed to be doing some sort of live action Simpsons thing in England. I guess that must've failed.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: June 13 2009 at 5:15pm
Which may be why The Simpsons is better as it is: Animated.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:07am
I think the Simpsons has to remain animated, because to find that many people with Jaundice that severe would be nigh impossible... unless you were to infect a small town with hepatitis... and then it is no longer entertainment, it's more akin to bio-terrorism...

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 8:48am
I was talking with a buddy of mine about the new show, The Goode Family, and how I think it's even better than King of the Hill (Yes, I like King of the Hill, so we work off of that premise for this), and as we were going along... Is there REALLY any reason King of the Hill needed to be animated? It's got to be one of the least cartoony cartoons of all time.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 1:50pm

Originally posted by sportsartist24

Which may be why The Simpsons is better as it is: Animated.

Which is why Japanese Anime is better: not made by H-Wood ... until they get the rights that is.

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:24pm

King of the Hill would have probably made a good 7 minute short, as part of a longer block of programing... but as a whole, the show was about as interesting as the sale of propane and propane accessories.

As for Anime, (adding the word "Japanese" is kinda redundant) some of it is really good. Other shows are kinda crap. Dragon Ball and it's many itterations stand in my mind as one of the crappy ones.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 7:45am
Dragon Ball and DBZ were very good shows, and they revolutionized the action movie/tv show. To date, if you can find someone who's more of a badass than Goku was at the end of the series, you'd have to scour the nerd trenches.
But I really think the idea of anime being so much better is perhaps overrated. There's a LOOOOOOT of crap out there, too. Every once in a while, they take a chance, and things work out. Same as here for live action. When Americans do cartoons, there's so VERY rarely any risk involved. I'm sure the Pixar folk are plenty talented at what they do, but really, it's more of American laziness that leads to the detriment of the American cartoon. Billy and Mandy is an awesome show, though, and that's clearly taking some big risks.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:18am

DBZ was a show that revolutionized turning a 15 minute show, into a 60 episode long piece of crap. Each episode furthered the overall plot by about 15 seconds, and the remainder of the episode ended up being people ceaselessly talking aobut how they are more powerful then the others, and then "powering up" which would take no less then 3 episodes, and more often 5 or 6. Not to mention that they would have to recycle scenes from episode to episode to pad things. Yeah, I can see true greatness there... (it should be noted that there is a large amount of sarcasm in that "greatness" statement)

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:31am
I'm pretty sure there are quite a few major producers out there who might disagree with you. I think it's fairly safe to say the Wachowskis have seen an episode.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:40am
Using the Wachowskis to back up your argument? The folks tha tbrought us the second and third Matrix films, as well as that awful Speed Racer? Seriously?

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:45am
Aaaand the first Matrix and V for Vendetta, which are usually considered pretty good films by most, who have, in turned, re-revolutioned the action genre. I'd be pretty sure that Russian dude who did Wanted has probably seen some, too.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:54am
2 good movies, do not outweigh three bad movies, not to mention when at least two of those bad movies are Colossally bad... So bad in fact, that the definition of bad had to be revised, to include the sheer awfulness of those films...

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:55am
But what does that have to do with the fact that the good ones are influenced by DBZ, ie, my entire point?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 9:05am
It also points to the bad ones being influenced by that same awful 'toon...

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 9:08am
Ulg.... Find me a more revolutionary action movie than The Matrix or Wanted that's come out since the mid 90s.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 9:13am
Not to mention, I don't think I saw a single scene that in either of those movies that spent endless amounts of time to a character powering up. Nor do I think that half of either movie was spent with banal dialog regarding who is more powerful... Nor were there magical alls that granted wishes... heh...magic balls.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 10:18am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Ulg.... Find me a more revolutionary action movie than The Matrix or Wanted that's come out since the mid 90s.

More like name an action movie whose style has been copied a million times over more than "Matrix" (which in itself was a ripoff of "Ghost In The Shell").

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 11:52am
Ghost in the Shell! That's what I was trying to think of. The Matrix had much more GitS then DBZ...WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more GitS... Still see no DBZ influences in the Matrix, though.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 12:45pm
I'm talking to a wall here... OK, seriously, Dragon Ball has had about the same effect on Japanese animation in general as Mickey Mouse has had on American animation.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 2:18pm
So, you agree that DBZ has lead to horrible things over there, much like the house of Mouse has lead to the downfall of things over here. I'm glad we are on the same page, finally.

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2009 at 8:25am
Again, you're letting your opinion cloud your judgement.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Print Page | Close Window