Print Page | Close Window

R.T. Reviews on ORPHAN

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: ORPHAN
Forum Discription: Adopting an Over-the-Top Attitude with a Horrifying Result...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3752
Printed Date: October 01 2014 at 3:48am

Topic: R.T. Reviews on ORPHAN
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: R.T. Reviews on ORPHAN
Date Posted: July 20 2009 at 2:36am

Will critics "adopt" this one as actually being scary...or judge it to be horrifyingly inept?? 

Here's a http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10010658-orphan/ - LINK to the Rotten Tomatoes page for http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10010658-orphan/ - ORPHAN to see how it fares with reviewers... 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Movie Man
Date Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:15pm

Well. "Orphan" is slowly inching up (now to 48%) while "G-Force" is quickly going.....down.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Based on its current R.T. Rating (15%) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009462-g_force/ - G-FORCE will likely be added as an Extra Bonus Worst of the Weak by this coming Monday...

-------------

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: July 24 2009 at 9:54am
lol What a wonderful week for the Razzies... Every major release is eligible!  

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 6:28am
Wow! It just jumped from 46% to 52% in a day!

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 7:12am
Okay, when it actually reaches something like 70 or 80%, maybe we will care.

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 11:10am
Orphan is going to end up as a largely forgettable movie, MWG... Just accept that. I'm glad you liked it, but it's not registering for other people.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:25pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Orphan is going to end up as a largely forgettable movie, MWG... Just accept that. I'm glad you liked it, but it's not registering for other people.

Trying get that point across to him is going to be as successful as convincing him that M. Night is not the genius he claims to be.

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:44pm

Not exactly. Some people have already put Esther as the new horror icon along with Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. Also, it jumped from a 7.1 to a 7.2 on IMDb. Also, an interesting note: A user on IMDb from another country stated this:

The reviews in America were utterly bizarre. It's just opened in Britain and Ireland and I have yet to read a bad review. I really do not understand what was up with the US critics. This is clearly one of the best horror films of the past decade.

I just stated that American critics usually hate horror movies made from the U.S.

Date Posted: August 07 2009 at 11:51pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Not exactly. Some people have already put Esther as the new horror icon along with Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. Also, it jumped from a 7.1 to a 7.2 on IMDb.

1. We don't take IMDb reviews seriously, you should know that by now.

2. Esther is NOT going to be considered on par with Jason and Freddy. She has to appear in 10 more movies to even be on their level.

3. Well good for the movie overseas, but here in the country it was produced, it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 1:27am

Not exactly. Some people have already put Esther as the new horror icon along with Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. Also, it jumped from a 7.1 to a 7.2 on IMDb. Also, an interesting note: A user on IMDb from another country stated this:<span style="font-weight: bold;">The reviews in America were utterly bizarre. It's just opened in
Britain and Ireland and I have yet to read a bad review. I really do
not understand what was up with the US critics. This is clearly one of
the best horror films of the past decade.
</span>I just stated that American critics usually hate horror movies made from the U.S.

Are you freakin kidding me? Come on, dude... You can say that about ANY movie... Any sort of cult following to anything, even. To "SOME" people? That's a semantic cop-out if I've ever heard one.
A bump in the IMDB reviews? We've already explained why the rating on IMDB is largely pointless - only the fanatics vote there.
And as for overseas reception, there's no data to back that up. And let's not forget that RT collects GLOBAL ratings. Remember when Disaster Movie pulled the old "C-C-C-Combo Breaker" when an Ozzie gave it a positive review?
American critics haven't been enjoying American horror movies because they've been cheesy and derivative. I love horror movies, dude, and I'm here to tell you - you don't need to like a movie just because it's in your favorite genre. When you can start to dislike some of them, you'll appreciate the truly good ones for what they are. And if worse comes to worse, you can look at the largely over-inflated ratings for Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell (A good movie, but you know there were a lot of critics who were rating higher because of who the director was). That's a NINETY-TWO percent for a horror movie. That's huge.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 2:25am

And as for overseas reception, there's no data to back that up. And let's not forget that RT collects GLOBAL ratings. Remember when Disaster Movie pulled the old "C-C-C-Combo Breaker" when an Ozzie gave it a positive review?

You can look on RT if you want data to back it up. Like I said, it just opened in some international markets and the 20 reviews that came from Australia, UK, and Scotland were all positive except the one from Empire Mag and maybe another.

I love horror movies, dude, and I'm here to tell you - you don't need to like a movie just because it's in your favorite genre.

I don't like every horror movie. Just good ones and as a horror fan, ORPHAN is a pretty great one.

And if worse comes to worse, you can look at the largely over-inflated ratings for Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell (A good movie, but you know there were a lot of critics who were rating higher because of who the director was). That's a NINETY-TWO percent for a horror movie. That's huge.

A lot of people seem to like DMTH. I was kinda disappointed when I saw it.

It's just that you guys treat the 6% jump as "nothing special" because you don't want to believe that this film may have a chance of actually being a good horror movie in quite some time.

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 7:35am

You can look on RT if you want data to back it up. Like I said, it just opened in some international markets and the 20 reviews that came from Australia, UK, and Scotland were all positive except the one from Empire Mag and maybe another.

And yet, you say would shouldn't bother with RT because critics hate horror movies ... unless of course Ebert says he liked it, in which case it must be good.

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 7:40am

You can look on RT if you want data to back it up. Like I said, it just opened in some international markets and the 20 reviews that came from Australia, UK, and Scotland were all positive except the one from Empire Mag and maybe another

Well look. The fact of the matter is that I've seen this movie before, as The Good Son, and my guess as to the twist ending was one in which if I'd seen the movie, I'd feel entirely cheated, because I feel that my guess was close enough. The critics are fairly split, globally, if we're looking at a 44-52% range.
I just feel that the "great" label you're giving it is very much a personal opinion, and not one that could be considered universal. It just seems like a lot of nothing special to me.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 11:28am

Well look. The fact of the matter is that I've seen this movie before, as The Good Son, and my guess as to the twist ending was one in which if I'd seen the movie, I'd feel entirely cheated, because I feel that my guess was close enough. The critics are fairly split, globally, if we're looking at a 44-52% range.
I just feel that the "great" label you're giving it is very much a personal opinion, and not one that could be considered universal. It just seems like a lot of nothing special to me.

"The Good Son" is like very rotten on RT and you feel cheated by the twist? You haven't even seen the twist in context with the movie.

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 2:22pm
Go ahead and enlighten me... Every bit of possible surprise I could get out of this movie has already been long since ruined for me, so why don't you explain why the context of something I anticipated is going to make it work for me?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 08 2009 at 5:18pm

Go ahead and enlighten me... Every bit of possible surprise I could get out of this movie has already been long since ruined for me, so why don't you explain why the context of something I anticipated is going to make it work for me?

I knew the twist before the movie...and I still thought the movie worked...well, that's just me. I don't know about you.

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 3:14am
If you already know the twist before the movie, than it's not much of a twist, now is it?

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 8:13am

I knew the twist before the movie...and I still thought the movie worked...well, that's just me. I don't know about you.

You're still not giving me this celestial alignment of a context.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Michaels

If you already know the twist before the movie, than it's not much of a twist, now is it?

You're judging not to watch a movie when you already know the twist ending. Just because you know a twist to a movie doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it.

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 11:54am

You're still not giving me this celestial alignment of a context.

Why are you purposefully trying to ruin your enjoyment from this film? Honestly, why would ANYONE do that? If you know EVERY possible twist and turns in this movie, why did you look them up in the first place? It's like you're begging to get this movie trashed. I'm not surprised.

You never gave this movie a chance in the first place. Why should I even bother explaining everything to you? 52% is obviously higher than most movies listed on this site but you wouldn't care, even though you have seen Ice Age 3, which is lower than Orphan, but you still liked that film. What makes Orphan any different? You actually saw IA3 in theaters. You gave that movie a chance. But not this one. And it's nothing like The Good Son. I'm done.

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 11:42pm
And again, you're still not answering the question. When I saw the trailer, it looked lame. I looked at it and said, "She's gotta be a ghost or something... Not a real little girl"... That was just obvious to me. I came across the spoiler partly by accident. You've played the movie up as if it's The Omen, so it's clearly not going to meet my expectations.

And then once again, you're making stuff up again... When did I say I'd seen IA3? I said it was the same CGI animal movie as every other one, but I saw that about every CGI animal movie. I certainly never said that I saw it.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 9:38am

And again, you're still not answering the question. When I saw the trailer, it looked lame. I looked at it and said, "She's gotta be a ghost or something... Not a real little girl"... That was just obvious to me. I came across the spoiler partly by accident. You've played the movie up as if it's The Omen, so it's clearly not going to meet my expectations.

And then once again, you're making stuff up again... When did I say I'd seen IA3? I said it was the same CGI animal movie as every other one, but I saw that about every CGI animal movie. I certainly never said that I saw it.

Ok. I have to admit, I mixing every user on here up like I did when I said you liked The Uninvited when you said you didn't.

Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 11:46am
I don't mean to come down on you on this, but there's mixing people up, pointing people to positive reviews that don't exist (I'm not talking about Orphan here) and the tendency to disagree with critical consensus... You've stopped being insulting (largely), but we still need to work on your credibility.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: August 10 2009 at 1:15pm

I don't mean to come down on you on this, but there's mixing people up, pointing people to positive reviews that don't exist (I'm not talking about Orphan here) and the tendency to disagree with critical consensus... You've stopped being insulting (largely), but we still need to work on your credibility.

Yeah, MWG, you ask why we always disagree with you, the answers are all listed right there.

Print Page | Close Window