Print Page | Close Window

One Question: WHY BOTHER?!?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES
Forum Name: FAME (2009)
Forum Discription: What Rhymes with The Title of This Unnecessary Remake...Hmm: Lame, Shame, Defame...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3883
Printed Date: October 20 2014 at 1:54am

Topic: One Question: WHY BOTHER?!?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: One Question: WHY BOTHER?!?!?!?
Date Posted: September 25 2009 at 7:22am

WHEN WE USED the OSCAR® WINNING THEME SONG from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080716/ - the ORIGINAL FAME as OUR OPENING NUMBER for http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Razzie_Awards/2005 - THE 25th ANNUAL RAZZIES ®, WE WENT for the OBVIOUS JOKE of CHANGING the MAIN LYRIC to "LAME!" -- LOOKS LIKE the SAME JOKE WILL WORK for THIS UN-CALLED-FOR, UN-INSPIRED (and WHOLLY UN-NECESSARY) REMAKE.

SOME of the MUSICAL NUMBERS and ONE OR TWO of the CAST MEMBERS MAY WORK FINE in http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=387 - THIS VERSION , BUT in 1980, WE WEREN'T LEFT SPINNING OUR WHEELS BETWEEN SONGS. WE ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT MOST of the DOZEN or SO STUDENTS at NEW YORK'S SCHOOL for the PERFORMING ARTS AS WE FOLLOWED THEM for FOUR YEARS from ORIENTATION to GRADUATION. THIS TIME OUT, SOME AUDIENCES MEMBERS MAY FEEL LIKE THOSE FOUR YEARS ARE BEING RE-ENACTED in REAL TIME... 

AND, to ONCE AGAIN BEAT the PROVERBIAL DEAD HORSE: WHEN WILL HOLLYWOOD LEARN to LEAVE MOVIES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN DONE RIGHT ALONE? DEAR DUMB MOVIE EXEX -- PLEASE STOP RE-MAKING GOOD MOVIES IF YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE 'EM AS GOOD AS the VERSIONS THAT'VE ALREADY BEEN MADE!! 

http://www.movieweb.com/gallery/PGEKlLFKVnpjIJ/AeJCkBDkbImX6X2 -

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2009_fame_011_big.html">Students perform at the high school Halloween Carnival in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures and Lakeshore Entertainment’s FAME, in theaters nationwide September 25, 2009. Photo by: Saeed Adyani. © 2009 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.

We Feel Compelled to Ask: Does Anyone Else Remember CIRQUE du SO LAME Appearing in the Original FAME??

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: September 25 2009 at 3:15pm
I again submit that this is a cashgrab meant to play off of the success of High School Music. And that's the only reason. Because Hollywood has lost all respect for quality product.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: September 25 2009 at 4:22pm

The answer to the question "why bother": H-Wood has run out of ideas for movies. Nowadays, they just want box office hits with the smallest amount of effort behind them. They follow patterns and formulas based on what seems popular. As it turns out, teen movies about singing, dancing, or singing and dancing are popular. So, to make a quick and easy buck, make a song and dance movie.

However, it would take too long and be very hard to come up with an original script, and even if one was written, how would you be sure it would make money? I know! We'll take a popular film from anywhere between 30 to 70 years ago that modern day teenagers probably have yet to see or have never heard of, and do a remake! Yes, we'll take an old song and dance movie, add in modern day technology, slang, and fashion ... and teenagers will eat it up like candy! Oh, I know which movie to remake: "Fame"! The technology, slang, and fashion in that movie are really outdated by today's standards. And it was a big hit back in the day; it even had its own spin-off TV series. That's it, we're making a remake of "Fame"!

And that is why this remake exists. All that's left now is for MWG to post his token anywhere between 6 to 9 out of 10 review, followed by 5 pages worth of how he doesn't know what he's talking about and that we are evil and bias.

Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 6:22am
Remember that they're attempting to attract the original audience as well.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: September 28 2009 at 3:36am

Nothing would send as strong a message about how we movie fans feel about the movie industry's preoccupation with lame remakes as would nominating Fame 2009 for a whole slew of Razzies.  This should NOT have been green-lighted!

-------------

Date Posted: September 28 2009 at 5:37am

Here's the thing though... It's gonna make money, and that's all they're out to do. We all know they aren't trying to make a good movie, or make something that will actually be memorable in any way. They'll get what they want out of this. The problem is the dumb-ass audience who's going to go see it. That's who ought to be blamed.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 3:00am

The only problem is that with the countless amounts of remakes that came out this year, which ones are most worthy of getting "a slew of nods". "Fame 2009", "Friday the 13th 2009", the list goes on.

Posted By: That Don Guy
Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 12:23pm
I see the DVD is the "Extended Dance Edition".  I'm surprised it doesn't say "starring Kherrington from So You Think You Can Dance?", as that seems to be the target audience.  (That's her on the top half of the DVD cover, isn't it?)

(Nothing new about this; when the original TV series went from NBC to syndication, almost all emphasis was shifted to the dancers.)

Date Posted: January 16 2010 at 12:32pm
It was definitely cashing in on the High School Musical/American Idol/Various Dancing Programs wave that we're on. There's definitely been a push in recent years throughout the entertainment industry to provide more content for women in general.
I once went to rent a video game with a couple of buddies of mine, and we wanted something for 4 players, so we grabbed what we thought was one of those newer Gauntlet games. Instead, somehow, we were given a copy of the Bratz video game. Which was about dolls going shopping in a mall. I rest my case.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 7:10pm
I was struck odd when this avoided suggestion for Worst Prequel, Sequel, Remake, or Rip-Off. I know Revenge of the Fallen comes first, but why else is this not so bad?

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2010 at 7:08am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

I was struck odd when this avoided suggestion for Worst Prequel, Sequel, Remake, or Rip-Off. I know Revenge of the Fallen comes first, but why else is this not so bad?
It's because this remake is completely pointless. It's just the studios trying to cash in on the "dance movies are all the craze now" fad.

Print Page | Close Window