Print Page | Close Window

John Travolta Stars as CUE-BALL in...

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES
Forum Name: FROM PARIS WITH LOVE
Forum Discription: Is Travolta TRYING to Destroy His Career?!?!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4102
Printed Date: September 02 2014 at 12:52am

Topic: John Travolta Stars as CUE-BALL in...
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: John Travolta Stars as CUE-BALL in...
Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 7:56am
SOME CAREERS FLOURISH...  

SOME CAREERS FLOUNDER... 

AND SOME CAREERS, LIKE THAT of RAZZIE® REPEAT OFFENDER http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=John+Travolta&btnG=Search+Razzies.com&domains=razzies.com&sitesearch=razzies.com -
RIGHT NOW, with the LESS-THAN-STELLAR PERFORMANCE of http://www.razzies.com/forum/you-lie-down-with-dogs_topic3980.html - ® NOMINATION as WORST ACTOR of the DECADE (CAN ANYONE EVER FORGET or FORGIVE HIM for OUR WORST PICTURE of the DECADE "WINNER"  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth/ - http://www.razzies.com/forum/from-paris-with-love_forum412.html -

WITH a SHAVED HEAD, a GOATEE and WHAT LOOKS LIKE a BEER GUT, WE CAN'T TELL IF TRAVOLTA IS EMBRACING HIS OWN MIDDLE-AGE...OR JUST THROWING in the TOWEL WHERE HIS APPEARANCE IS CONCERNED. 

AND PROMOs for THIS FILM MADE IT LOOK LIKE an ODD CLONE of SOMETHING http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385867/ -
BUT WHY SHOULD WE KEEP the FUN of TRAVOLTA-BASHING ALL to OURSELVES -- NOW IT's YOUR TURN to TURN on a ONCE MAJOR STAR, ONE WHO's NOW CLEARLY in MAJOR CAREER TROUBLE. 

OH, JOHNNY, without YER HAIR, WE HARDLY KNEW YE! 

TRAVOLTA: "You mention one more time that I look 
like that cartoon genie from ALADDIN and I'm shooting 
off yer left ball!"  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 8:45am
The first thing I noticed was how the movie is trying to piggieback ride on the James Bond movie "From Russia With Love". The classic failed attempt at the old bait and switch. Oh, and chances are your genie from "Aladdin" joke will be funnier than anything in the movie! 

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: January 31 2010 at 5:26pm
The title is a play on "From Russia With Love" and it looks very similar to the upcoming release "Cop Out" and it does look like John Travolta trying to go back to his "Pulp Fiction" days, but only the feedback from Tuesday's advance screenings will tell me if this is worth watching.  There is a chance that this might be a step UP from "Old Dogs."  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since OLD DOGS was just nominated for 4 RAZZIES, including Worst Picture and Travolta as Worst Actor, the former Mister Barbarino better hope PARIS is a "step up"!!

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2010 at 11:05am
RT Critics' Consensus: "Though not without its charms -- chief among them John Travolta's endearingly over-the-top performance -- From Paris With Love is too muddled and disjointed to satisfy."
Roger Ebert: "Pauline Kael has already reviewed this movie in her book Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and it only took her the title. ( http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100203/REVIEWS/100209992 - LINK )"

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 04 2010 at 12:19pm
I think a critic like Peter Travers is more on the same wave length with the Razzies. We should quote him more than Ebert. Travers seems to share the Razzie's hatred of Michael Bay and remakes. I think he may even be a Razzie member!

Date Posted: February 04 2010 at 6:53pm
I'm pretty sure Travers is a Razzie Member, but I don't see eye to eye with him as much as I do with Ebert.  Furthermore, Travers' reviews can be a little offensive (because he works for Rolling Stone?). 

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2010 at 8:01pm
You may like Ebert more, but since we're here to be offensive towards the s*** movies that Hollywood throws our way, Travers is much more fitting for that task. Besides, any critic who names the two Transformers movies as the worst of the decade is a very wise man, in my opinion. 

Sure, there may have been worse movies out there, but none made so much money -- and gave us so little in return!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 04 2010 at 9:56pm
Actually, something else DID make "so much money" and give us so little in return --  It's called the Twilight Saga!  

And naming the two Transformers movies as the worst movies of the decade over Battlefield Earth and Gigli isn't wise, it's heartless!  

-------------

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 8:34am
Oh,Yeah? That should get a Will Smith "OOOOHHH HELLLL NOOOOO"! 

"Twilight" is not among the top 10 grossing movies of all time, but "Transformers 2" is -- and it does not deserve to be there! And yeah, "Battlefield Earth" and "Gigli" sucked moose c***, but they both bombed at the B.O. "Transformers 2" is the only movie among the bunch that was both unwatchable AND laughed it's way to the bank as dumbasses paid their money to see the worst thrown-together-within-a-week blockbuster of all time.  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 2:34pm
Speak for yourself.  I stand by my opinion.

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 4:57pm
Speak for myself? Well "Twilight" only offends us by being bad movies that just happens to be popular with 'tween girls, until those girls grow up, forget about it and move on. "BattleField Earth" and "Gigli" were offenive by being utter pieces of s***, but they tanked on arrival. As I said before, "Transformers 1 & 2" were the only movies that were A) Over the top stupid and poorly done and B) Made off with millions of dollars. That's a double offender, because for every one bad movie that makes that much money, we get five more bad movies like it. "Transformers 1" was a run away hit, it gets a sequel that was 10 times worse, but then you also have "GI Joe", and then "Thundercats", "Voltron", "The Smurfs" and other movies based on cartoons in the works. Mister Travers was right on the money because thanks to the success of a s*** movie like "Transformers 1", now we have all these other s*** movies to "look forward" to as a result. And no, there being four or five "Twilight" movies planned in advance doesn't count because those movies are based on a book series, to they were going to make sequels no matter what.

I'm just saying Travers makes more sense to quote since he clearly seems to be on the same side as the Razzies. I see you and moviewizguy seem to like to quote Ebert because he tries to be in the middle of the road in his reviews. But Travers just flat out rips the bad movies apart, which I think, in my opinion, is more suitable for the Razzies, since that is also what the awards are about. The man has a "Damn You Hollywood" blog! How more Razzie like can you get!?

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 7:33pm

I am NOT gonna reference the reviews of a heartless bigot who has as much faith in Hollywood as Rush Limbaugh has in the Obama administration.  And just so you know, I gave my prize for Worst Movie of the Decade to The Twilight Saga unopposed because that film series won 25 awards it DID NOT DESERVE!  I have a bigger problem dealing with Owen Gleiberman because he gives questionable reviews to some films, and I have an even bigger problem dealing with Armond White because he put three Best Picture nominees (An Education, Precious, Up in the Air) on his 'worst' list.  This conversation is OVER!

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

I am NOT gonna reference the reviews of a heartless bigot who has as much faith in Hollywood as Rush Limbaugh has in the Obama administration.  And just so you know, I gave my prize for Worst Movie of the Decade to The Twilight Saga unopposed because that film series won 25 awards it DID NOT DESERVE!  I have a bigger problem dealing with Owen Gleiberman because he gives questionable reviews to some films, and I have an even bigger problem dealing with Armond White because he put three Best Picture nominees (An Education, Precious, Up in the Air) on his 'worst' list.  This conversation is OVER!
With all due respect, aren't the Razzie Awards all about not having faith in Hollywood? That Hollywood has turned its back to creative integrity in exchange for quick profit? Almost every major Hollywood movie of 2009 was an adaptation, sequel, reboot, or remake, and 2010 looks no better. And as if making movies based upon amusement park rides wasn't low enough, now Hollywood is going to make moves based on board games and toys. Just earlier today, HeadRazz made the announce that a remake of "A Star Is Born" is in the works, a movie that has already been remade once, and this second remake will star Beyonce of all people! Is that really a product that we should have faith in? That rather they make something original, they will just make a photocopy of a photocopy and call it something new.

I understand you might be pissed off that "Twilight" won "25 awards it did not deserve", but what awards were they? Oscars? Golden Globes? Critic's Choice? Awards that are taken seriously? No. They were MTV Movie Awards, and Teens' Choice, and Kids' Choice, all voted on by 'tween girls who only loved the movies so they can stare all dreamy-eyed at Robert Patterson and his bed head. These are not awards to be taken seriously, and they aren't worth getting pissed off about.

Now, as for this Owen Gleiberman dude, that sounds more like a guy who is heartless and has no faith in filmmaking. Peter Travers has faith in filmmaking, but little faith in Hollywood and its quest to make as much money as possible, with as little creative integrity as possible, ie, "Transformers 2".

-------------

Date Posted: February 05 2010 at 9:25pm
That's a pretty good defense, but you didn't quite take the Owen Gleiberman part correctly.  When I said that he gave questionable reviews to some movies, I meant he gave some bad films like "Epic Movie" positive reviews and some good films like "Let the Right One In" negative reviews.  You might want to see his RT record ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author/author-763/ - LINK ).

Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 5:07am
Well, in that case, this Owen guy might just be a plain and simple dumbass.

-------------

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 9:50am
No one's going to comment on the Royale with Cheese joke in the trailer?

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 1:40pm
How's this for a comment on the Royale with Cheese joke in the trailer: "Haha, see, I made a reference to the last good movie I was in! (Pauses, then looks to the director) When do I get my paycheck?"

-------------

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 1:46pm
Better.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: February 06 2010 at 8:51pm
Or, how about this?
John: "I have this badass idea, it'll make the movie really edgy! Have the camera tilted sideways throughout the entire movie! You know, so it seems everyone have this crooked point of view of life! Wouldn't that be kick-ass!?" (Director stares at him blankly). John: "By the way, is my paycheck going to be in dollars or francs?".

-------------

Posted By: alake85
Date Posted: March 10 2010 at 11:03am
John Travlota is still one of our best actors, let's not forget Pulp Fiction...which this stupid film references, even in the trailer. Although we have seen the likes of this (and even worse Battlefield Earth) he still goes to sleep on http://www.exceptionalsheets.com/servlet/StoreFront - Egyptian Cotton Sheets every night because of work like this. If you were offered over 10 million to run around Paris for a few months and act like an ass, you would too!

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:00pm
It's weird! His performance in HAIRSPRAY is one of my favorites...yet,I don't like him in general. Whether I see his very Mexican "Sandy...Ayayay!" in GREASE, or his sad Stallone eyes in SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE--FEVER! 

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:57pm
Well, if an actor has at least one good performance, I guess you can forgive him based on that one performance. However, if he then goes and ruins it with 100 BAD performances...

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: May 04 2010 at 11:24pm
Can John Travolta's career even be saved?

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 4:45am
Travolta's career could be saved, if he were cast in a movie with a director who had actual talent and storytelling ability.

-------------

Posted By: -1
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:24am
Finally saw this..... and it sucks. (Surprise!)

The plot is predictable and ridiculous, the action isn't all that impressive, and when Travolta went into this, it seems like the director just said to him, "You know that Pelham 1 2 3 movie you were just in? Well, just act like that, but make it so over-the-top and stupid it isn't cool!" 

-------------
One push is all you need.....

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by -1

The plot is predictable and ridiculous, the action isn't all that impressive, and when Travolta went into this, it seems like the director just said to him, "You know that Pelham 1 2 3 movie you were just in? Well, just act like that, but make it so over-the-top and stupid it isn't cool!" 
Not to mention it's an action movie ... in France of all the place, the country that bent over backwards for the Nazis.

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 3:03pm
I didn't want to see at first because I honestly thought it was a lame romantic drama...you know,because of the title.
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Not to mention it's an action movie ... in France of all the place, the country that bent over backwards for the Nazis.
So I'm guessing you finally got tired of bashing Hollywood with the exact same words over and over,and now you'll re-start with your political views?Well whoopdi-freaking-do!

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 4:48pm
There's a LOT of bad blood between all of us now; I can feel it. :worried: By the way, I don't recall France bending over backwards for Nazi Germany.

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Vits

So I'm guessing you finally got tired of bashing Hollywood with the exact same words over and over,and now you'll re-start with your political views?Well whoopdi-freaking-do!
Yeah, so? saturnwatcher does it, too, and he's the best (and smartest) poster here.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

By the way, I don't recall France bending over backwards for Nazi Germany.
Wait, so you don't know about the 70 years worth of jokes about how France surrendered to the Nazis without putting up a fight? It's one of the things the country is most famous for.

-------------

Posted By: ziesha
Date Posted: November 16 2010 at 3:58am
http://www.film4.com/reviews/2010/from-paris-with-love -

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/review-from-paris-with-love-neilm.php - A blistering pace, a certifiable performance from Travolta and a delicious body count. 

Date Posted: November 16 2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by ziesha

http://www.film4.com/reviews/2010/from-paris-with-love - A blistering pace, a certifiable performance from Travolta and a delicious body count. 
Well, that's one way to describe a run-of-the-mill action movie.

-------------

Posted By: Ryan Martin
Date Posted: April 25 2011 at 11:54am
Recently watched this film, and in the scene where they are going through customs, Travolta starts to take the gun pieces out of some cans, I noticed, he took out a pistol slide from one can, the main pistol (with no pistol grip) from another can, and then the pistol grip out of another. After looking at this gun online, it doesnt appear at all that it would disassemble this way. 

Was this just some bullsh*t I'm supposed to believe? Or is there a pistol that exists where u can disassemble the pistol grip like the one he uses? Apparently the weapon is a SIG-Sauer X5 LW.  

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: April 27 2011 at 2:23pm

The film's an homage to James Bond and he's had a lot of unrealistic devices (i.e. that f*cking invisible car). As for the film's quality, I didn't care for it, but it's not a terrible movie and I've seen a few people who enjoyed.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence

Print Page | Close Window