Print Page | Close Window

A Big Box o' ROTTEN Chocolates?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS"
Forum Name: VALENTINE'S DAY
Forum Discription: "Winner" of 2 RAZZIES® including WORST ACTOR: ASHTON KUTCHER (Nominated for 4)
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4143
Printed Date: April 17 2014 at 5:52pm

Topic: A Big Box o' ROTTEN Chocolates?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: A Big Box o' ROTTEN Chocolates?!?
Date Posted: February 13 2010 at 1:44pm
WHAT's HAPPENED to HOLLYWOOD'S ABILITY to MAKE an ACCEPTABLE ROMANTIC COMEDY? IS EVERYONE WRITING ROM/COM SCRIPTS CRIBBING from PREVIOUS SCREENPLAYS THAT DIDN'T WORK? IS AMERICA OVER the WHOLE NOTION of ROMANCE and COMEDY GOING HAND-in-HAND?? OR IS the EVEN MORE GLARING LACK of ANYTHING ORIGINAL BEING MADE in THIS GENRE FINALLY CATCHING UP with IT???  

WITH an AMAZING CAST of NO LESS THAN http://www.valentinesdaymovie.com/#/home - ® WINNERS -- in ITS CAST, and http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005190/ -
OH, WELL.  GUESS WE'LL JUST HAVE to KEEP OURSELVES OCCUPIED with CLASSIC ROM/COMs for the TIME BEING. IF YOU'RE a NETFLIX SUBSCRIBER, MAY WE RECOMMEND the 1936 ORIGINAL VERSION of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028010/ -

GARNER: "I'm gonna pretend this Pinata is all those movie crix who slammed us..."

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 13 2010 at 3:21pm
19 big name stars?! 4 Oscar winners?! Bad reviews galore?! Do I smell a Worst Ensemble Cast award in the works? Hey, the SAG Awards need to be razzed, too. They are just actors stroking the egos of other actors!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: February 14 2010 at 4:10pm
Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb. . . .

This is rom com bomb number three for this year.

That's TWO movies with all star casts and former Oscar winners that had NO reason to fail and all the reasons to win. . . . that tanked because the script and direction sucked bilgewater.

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 3:44pm

I had a look at reviews for this movie and there can be no mistake about it: This movie sucks!  Lou Lumenick gave it zero stars, Lisa Schwarzbaum gave it an F, Kimberley Jones called it "agressively unfunny and unromantic", Manohla Dargis called it "a disaster: cynically made, barely directed, terribly written", Rex Reed called it "a romantic piffle stuffed with so much candy that your skin could break out", Roger Ebert called it "a first-date movie" and added "if your date likes it, do not date that person again" and "if you like it, there may not be a second date", and Peter Travers called it "a date movie from hell" and a frontrunner for his and our Worst Picture awards.  The romantic comedy genre has already taken three blows this year and more are on the way: She's Out of My League, The Back-up Plan, Sex and the City 2, and who knows what else.  This is truly a dead genre and the people who went to see Valentine's Day this past weekend are probably feeling ripped off.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 4:34pm
Actually, a lot of my friends (those who saw it) liked this movie. I can't say the same about the others who saw Percy Jackson.  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

This is truly a dead genre and the people who went to see Valentine's Day this past weekend are probably feeling ripped off.

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 5:03pm
Okay, that's your friends, but what about the other 99% of American movie goers? You can't judge how many people across the States liked the movie based on your inner circle of friends alone. 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Actually, a lot of my friends (those who saw it) liked this movie. I can't say the same about the others who saw Percy Jackson.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: February 22 2010 at 5:51pm
If any of you think this is bad, just wait until The A-Team [remake] and The Karate Kid [remake], both scheduled for the end of spring.

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Date Posted: February 22 2010 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

If any of you think this is bad, just wait until The A-Team [remake] and The Karate Kid [remake], both scheduled for the end of spring.

Please, don't remind me. This whole year is like an "I Love The 80s" special at the movies. If it was in theaters any time between '80 to '89, chances are there's a remake for it this year ("Nightmare on Elms Street", "Clash of the Titans", "Footloose", "Red Dawn", "Tron", etc.). How very original of you, Hollywood, good to know you're firm believers in recycling! At this rate, Worst Sequel/Remake should just be renamed Worst Raping Of An 80s Movie/TV Series.

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2010 at 7:57am
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Please, don't remind me. This whole year is like an "I Love The 80s" special at the movies. If it was in theaters any time between '80 to '89, chances are there's a remake for it this year ("Nightmare on Elms Street", "Clash of the Titans", "Footloose", "Red Dawn", "Tron", etc.). How very original of you, Hollywood, good to know you're firm believers in recycling! At this rate, Worst Sequel/Remake should just be renamed Worst Raping Of An 80s Movie/TV Series.

You heartless prick!  You should have more faith in Hollywood.

Date Posted: March 01 2010 at 8:01am

"Valentine's Day" is the latest example of a 'blockbuster bomb' or a film that makes a lot of money, but fails with the critics.  Other examples include "Norbit", "Meet the Spartans", "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen", and "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" (the worst of them).

Date Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

You heartless prick!  You should have more faith in Hollywood.
Ah, excuse me, what's with the name calling? I would have faith in Hollywood, if that it could be what it once was. In the 80s, Hollywood was making good, quality, and original blockbuster movies. "Indiana Jones", "ET", "Ghostbusters", "The Empire Strikes Back", "Return Of The Jedi", the original "Batman", and all of those movies that I listed above that are being remade this year. Is Hollywood still doing this? NO! Now they just make cookie-cutter reboots of movies from that decade instead. So you tell me why I should have faith in something that gives me nothing in return? Why should I keep going to a supermarket to buy a fresh products, when all they give me are left-overs from last week?

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2010 at 4:28pm
Ewww, week-old leftover food! Now does anyone see why Hollywood needs to shape up/reform/restructure? They're milking money out of left-over movies from 198X!

*under breath* MiguelAntilsu, I shall have you modded for flaming!

Nowadays, most good movies (reduced to rarity since the beginning of '000) are released between All Hallow's Day and New Year's Eve, at the very end of the year. January and February-released movies used to be watchable back when I wore diapers, but now, the first two months are a toxic dump for cinema!

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Date Posted: March 02 2010 at 2:38pm
It's just that this guy is talking out of both sides of his face. Here he is, a voting member of the Razzies, an award that is all about not having any faith in Hollywood making good, quality, original movies any more. But then he calls me a heartless prick for saying Hollywood doesn't make good, quality, original movies any more. Working both sides of the street much?

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:10pm
The Razzies aren't about trashin'Hollywood.They're about trashin'bad movies which may or may not be made by people who only care'bout money.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Vits

The Razzies aren't about trashin'Hollywood.They're about trashin'bad movies which may or may not be made by people who only care'bout money.
Considering a heavy sum of the movies being bashed are rip-offs, sequels, reboots, or remakes, yeah I'm 99.9% they were all made for the sole purpose of making money.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:58pm
Did you know Elvis only became a musician,and then an actor,because he only cared'bout bein'famous?

If people had known of the allegedly self-centered attitude of M. Night Shyamalan when THE SIXTH SENSE came out,the movie would've still been a success.

People shouldn't make movies for money only,but if the movies are good,it's not that important.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2010 at 2:08pm

Did you know Elvis only became a musician,and then an actor,because he only cared'bout bein'famous?

If people had known of the allegedly self-centered attitude of M. Night Shyamalan when THE SIXTH SENSE came out,the movie would've still been a success.

People shouldn't make movies for money only,but if the movies are good,it's not that important.

Ah but when the movie is bad and was only made for money *cough*Trannies2*cough*, the Razzies are there to roast them. But being self-centered in the entertainment business can be quite unhealthy for your career.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 7:46am
The first thing you said is basically what I said.

Being self-centered is unhealthy,but not for the movies,unless you transfer it to them,like you all say he did in http://razzies.com/forum/lady-in-the-water_forum129.html - LADY IN THE WATER .

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 9:13am

Being self-centered is unhealthy,but not for the movies,unless you transfer it to them,like you all say he did in http://razzies.com/forum/lady-in-the-water_forum129.html - LADY IN THE WATER .
Well, if you noticed, not only did he play the most important character in the movie, he also had that biography book that came out that year, and a behind the scenes Sci-Fi Channel special, AND that credit card ad starring himself. That was the year he was yelling "I'm M. Night Shyamlondingdong, bitches, the greatest writer/director of all-time!" ... and then he got hell from critics and audiences alike because of all of it.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 12:47pm
Did you watch it?He wasn't the most important character.He was told he would write great things,but that's it?

So what if he had a TV special and a commercial?

When he has ever said how great he is?

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 6:40pm

Did you watch it?He wasn't the most important character.He was told he would write great things,but that's it?

So what if he had a TV special and a commercial?

When he has ever said how great he is?
1. Yes, he wasn't the "lead" character, but his character's writing was going to bring about world peace. That's kinda making yourself very important.

2. In the commerical, he's being described as a genius and is annoyed to have to be reminded about it.

3. All that combined might not be him saying out loud "I'm the greatest", but as saturnwatcher said to MWG, read between the lines. He's saying it without actually saying it and that's why people have been turning their back to him.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 8:57am
In the commercial,he did it as a joke.It's common to be seen in award shows.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 10:48am

In the commercial,he did it as a joke.It's common to be seen in award shows.

That's all fine and good, but the overall impression from people was that he was coming off as being the greatest that year, and it bit him in the @$$ when critics and audiences turned their backs on him.

-------------

Posted By: Dorothea01
Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 6:30pm

PerhapsBig smile

Date Posted: September 04 2010 at 10:10pm
Uggh. Take this debate to the forums for The Last Airbender!

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2010 at 6:51pm

Uggh. Take this debate to the forums for The Last Airbender!
Don't worry, it's a dead debate anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 3:21pm
This has been nominated for the People's Choice Awards for "Comedy Movie".Maybe it was also nominated for "Movie Actor"(Lautner),but I don't know if he was included for this.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 7:34pm
At this rate, close enough to all 20 acting nominations will be for multiple movies.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 5:32pm

This has been nominated for the People's Choice Awards for "Comedy Movie".Maybe it was also nominated for "Movie Actor"(Lautner),but I don't know if he was included for this.
I checked,and he is nominated for both movies,just as Julia Roberts is up for "Favorite Movie Actress" for this and EAT,PRAY,LOVE.

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2010 at 8:48pm
Oh, no.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598822/ - Garry Marshall is filming New Year's Eve with an all star cast, including Taylor Swift. . . . Dead

See, things like this happen when a movie kicks over $100 million. . . .

Date Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Oh, no.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598822/ - Garry Marshall is filming New Year's Eve with an all star cast, including Taylor Swift. . . . Dead
Looks like that Worst Ensemble Cast category might be staying for a while! My guess: the next movie in the epic trilogy will be "President's Day"!

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2010 at 1:17am
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Looks like that Worst Ensemble Cast category might be staying for a while! My guess: the next movie in the epic trilogy will be "President's Day"!

Nah, it will be even worse.  It will be Christmas Day.  That's all we need - another lousy Christmas movie.  Except this one is being remade for all the holidays.  Ugh.

Date Posted: December 15 2010 at 5:42am

Nah, it will be even worse.  It will be Christmas Day.  That's all we need - another lousy Christmas movie.  Except this one is being remade for all the holidays.  Ugh.
Better yet, "Boxing Day"! Yes, a rom-com based around people returning their unwanted Christmas gifts and giving boxed gifts to their mailman and other public servants!

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2011 at 10:45am
I just saw this and gave it 5/10.I think Ashton deserved his nomination, but not his "win" for this. The other 3's performances were nothing worth mentioning, but I'm guessing they were nominated (and Alba "won") mainly for their other movies. 

Review coming tomorrow.  

It's been announced that New year's Eve won't be a sequel to Valentine's Day, but will follow the same formula.

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2011 at 8:09pm

I just saw this and gave it 5/10.I think Ashton deserved his nomination, but not his "win" for this. The other 3's performances were nothing worth mentioning, but I'm guessing they were nominated (and Alba "won") mainly for their other movies. 
Kutcher won more for "Killers", and for also being long overdue for a Razzing. Same goes for Alba, who had dodged the Razzies long enough.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2011 at 12:14pm
WHAT IS THE TRUE MEANING OF "VALENTINE'S DAY"?THE MOVIE SAYS "BROKEN HEARTS AND MONEY YOU SPEND WHEN IT'S UNNECESSARY"(***/*****):

Romantic Comedy is one of the weakest genres because it's always the same thing.Recently we've seen good ones because they have some redeeming quality,something that makes them stand on their own.Making one that shows several stories isn't the solution.It has worked with movies like LOVE,ACTUALLY because it says new things about it's subjects,not the several stories fact itself.

This movie takes not every plot used since the genre started,but the most common plots,and stuff them together.They're focusing on the wrong aspect,because it's safer to spend money on a movie with a new premise and the same formula,than to spend it on a recap of the last...what?90 years?

With so many stories it's easy to rank them from better to worse:
1)The main stories are the ones with EDISON,and ALEX & GRACE,and MORLEY & REED & JULIA & HARRISON.Not because they have more screen time,but because they add charm,sweetness and a little humour to stories we've already seen before,making them interesting(not necessarily good).
2)The one with LIZ & JASON had what the ones from above had plus it was funnier.It would've been the best story if hadn't felt written for a sitcom episode.
3)ALPHONSO and PAULA are filler characters.They help advance the plot,but that's it.The same can be said about SEAN who only depends on the twist ending of his story.
4)EDGAR & ESTELLE,and KARA & KELVIN have pointless subplots,because they're practically 100% how we've seen them before.The same can be said about HOLDEN and CPT. HAZELTINE who,once again,only depend on the twist ending to their stories.
5)SUSAN is sort of a mix:a pointless character.That can be said of any extra in the movie,but when it's played by an a-list actor who's billed as part of the main cast,you don't expect her to be an actual extra.
6)And if you combine all,we get filler pointless characters with a pointless subplot.That would be FELICIA & WILLY.I don't think I need to explain why.

I've defended Kutcher for years because I really think he has talent,but in this he didn't seem to know what he was doing.And I felt MacLaine picked up the leftovers from her performances in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT and THE EVENING STAR.The only decent performances came from Elizondo and Hathaway.Also,I was glad Lopez kept his self-satire jokes against latinos to the minimum.

Grades: C- in the U.S. and 4,5 in Chile.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window