Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS"
Forum Name: THE BOUNTY HUNTER
Forum Discription: Nominated for 4 RAZZIES® including WORST PICTURE
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4190
Printed Date: July 30 2014 at 10:42pm

Topic: Gerard Butler, Rom/Com Killer...
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Gerard Butler, Rom/Com Killer...
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 7:29am
IF http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Gerard+Butler&btnG=Search+Razzies.com&domains=razzies.com - WERE SOME KIND of UNDERCOVER AGENT SECRETLY SENT to KILL OFF the GENRE of the ROM/COM, HE'D HAVE to BE CONSIDERED SUCCESSFUL SO FAR. BETWEEN LAST YEAR's http://www.razzies.com/forum/ugly-is-as-ugly-duz_topic3764.html - and THIS CURRENT CLUMP o' CRUD, HE'S ALMOST SINGLE-HANDEDLY DESTROYING ONE of HOLLYWOOD's MOST RELIABLE GENRES, WORKING from WITHIN... 

LOOKING ODDLY LIKE a ROM/COM REMAKE of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051525/ - - , http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-bounty-hunter_forum420.html - -  TESTS AMERICA'S INTEREST IN (and PATIENCE WITH) WHAT COULD BE CALLED "THE ANGRY ROM/COM" -- THE KIND of "ROM" WHERE the "COM" DERIVES from SADISITIC HATRED for ONE ANOTHER on the PART of the FILM'S PRINCIPLES. SINCE the SIMILAR (and FAR SUPERIOR) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098621/ - - WAS CONSIDERED a BOX OFFICE FAILURE OVER 20 YEARS AGO, the PROSPECTS for THIS FILM BEING a HIT WERE ALMOST NIL. 

BUT DON'T LET US BE the ONLY NAY-SAYERS at THIS RAUNCHY POST-DIVORCE REUNION -- NOW IT'S YOUR TURN to TAKE a POT-SHOT or TWO at WHAT WILL (HOPEFULLY!) BE 2010's WORST EXAMPLE of the NON-ROMANTIC, NON-COMEDIC "ROMANTIC COMEDY"...

BUTLER: "Frankly, I don't know how either one of us 
escaped the Wrath of the RAZZIES® for the crap we both 
starred in last year...but I'd recommend you hide in the 
trunk 'till the reviews are forgotten..."  

ANISTON: "But that could be months..."

BUTLER: "Or even years..."  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 10:16am
I may be the only one where I live who doesn't like Gerard Butler's recent work. I was hoping I wouldn't have to remind anyone, but... Gerard Butler didn't destroy the non-romantic branch of rom/coms from within. It never worked in the first place, IIRC.

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 10:50am
Ah rom-coms, may you rest in peace! Oh well, Hollywood will always have sci-fi movies to fall back on. And if all else fails, they'll just add 3-D surcharges to everything.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 11:24am

This could be the worst screen couple since Affleck and Lopez.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 2:09pm
I could consider him a good actor...if he could just keep the accent!

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 4:08pm
Oh ... I don't know, "Bennifer" is a TOUGH act to follow!  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

This could be the worst screen couple since Affleck and Lopez.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: March 15 2010 at 10:16pm

Gerard Butler already made a bad romantic comedy last year with The Ugly Truth. I can't decide if this is worse, though.

Does anyone know if Diary of a Wimpy Kid and/or Repo Men will be added as another RAZZIE contender for March 19 or if Remember Me will be added as a leftover from March 12?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I would be the one who'd know and, as of about 10am/PST on Tuesday, March 16 (when I am posting this) I have added a Forum for http://www.razzies.com/forum/remember-me_forum421.html -  Almost-in-RAZZIE-Range at 28%). But I do not have plans at this time to add any more of this week's titles to our Forum. Once I've seen more reviews on the March 19 releases that may change, though...  

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: March 16 2010 at 4:33pm
Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb.  Rom com bomb. . . .

I promise I'll stop when we get twelve, which is all we need for a special category, unless there's some sadistic demand to see how many rom com bombs we'll wind up with this year.  This one apparently is a ripoff, too.  I was thinking, didn't we already have exes axing each other with last year's Razzie nominee  http://www.razzies.com/forum/remind-us-again-where-is-the-funny-part_topic4013.html - Did You Hear About the Moregroans? , but HeadRAZZ held out the superior example with War of the Roses.  Besides, I don't think Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker were quite yet divorced in Moregroans. . . .

I don't think I can overlook the horrid experience Andrew Lloyd Webber, Joel Schumacher and Gerard Butler put me through bending my ears backwards with his singing in Phantom of the Opera.  Here I am, expecting someone who could sing like Michael Crawford, and instead I get the singing equivalent of fingernails against the chalkboard. 

Date Posted: March 16 2010 at 4:44pm
Actually,this is more of a remake than a rip-off. You see,this was directed by Andy Tennant,who already did http://www.razzies.com/forum/fools-gold_forum257.html - .

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: March 17 2010 at 2:51pm
So apparently there are three terms now that tell you that a movie is crap from the day it was conceived...

Movie Based On a Video Game (lots of them)
Live Action Anime Based Film (We had Speed Racer and Draggin Balls Evolution, Keanu Bebop is next)
New Rom Com

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2010 at 3:24pm
Agreed. Remakes of 70s/80s horror or J-horror movies could also be added to that list.  

Originally posted by Berrynoia

So apparently there are three terms now that tell you that a movie is crap from the day it was conceived...

Movie Based On a Video Game (lots of them)
Live Action Anime Based Film (We had Speed Racer and Draggin Balls Evolution, Keanu Bebop is next)
New Rom Com

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2010 at 3:57am

Agreed, BHB, American remakes of great Japanese horror films can go in there.

So can remakes of previous flops.

So can Sci-Fi channel original movies.

-------------

Posted By: orly1971
Date Posted: March 18 2010 at 3:30pm

I think Jennifer Aniston is long overdue for a Razzie nomination. 

-------------

Posted By: Gregory
Date Posted: March 19 2010 at 7:09pm
The Bounty Hunter is getting really AWFUL reviews:

"The putrid result never rises even to the lofty heights of mediocrity."

"Death, taxes, Gerard Butler. Wish them away all you like: still they befall us." 

"Send Hollywood a message, and do not see this film."

"There’ll be worse films released in 2010 -- but not many."

"Exacerbating the lack of chemistry between Aniston and Butler, for a movie that is represented as a romcom thriller, it is neither funny nor romantic nor thrilling."

"I stared with glazed eyes at The Bounty Hunter. Here is a film with no need to exist."

Posted By: Julianstark
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 10:11am
I saw this yesterday for purposes of riffing on it... and for my Razzie ballot of course! For what it's worth, I agree with all of the critics' comments that Gregory posted.

I agree that after some horrible career choices that Aniston and Butler are both due for some Razzie love. *crosses fingers for this to make the shortlist*

I hate saying that because I think that both are very talented. In fact, I think that both (or at least Aniston, who is an Academy member) could have been at least Oscar nominated by now had they made the decision to star in better films. Of course, starring in a film better than The Bounty Hunter isn't hard to do.

-------------
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! http://julianstark-moviesandotherthings.blogspot.com - Movies and Other Things

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 12:28pm
Yeah,I think there was some Oscar buzz when Jennifer did THE GOOD GIRL.But what has Gerard done that could make him considered for an Oscar?

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Vits

Yeah,I think there was some Oscar buzz when Jennifer did THE GOOD GIRL.But what has Gerard done that could make him considered for an Oscar?

If The Phantom of the Opera had been well received, then maybe he could have been in for that. I can't help but think that he was being buzzed about for his performance in early 2004 when the film was something of a "sight unseen" Oscar front-runner.

However, I was discussing the idea if they had been making better movies (i.e. different films that could have led to an Oscar nomination or Oscar nominations).

-------------
Check out my blog! http://julianstark-moviesandotherthings.blogspot.com - Movies and Other Things

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 1:44pm
I doubt that.

Diane Lane was nominated for UNFAITHFUL,which didn't receive good reviews.

MAMMA MIA! had great reviews,and it still won "Worst Supporting Actor"(Pierce Brosnan).

Despite all of those theories on snubbing,the Academy chooses the nominees for their performances,rather than the quality of the movie.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 4:32pm
As far as I can tell, Jennifer and Gernald haven't done ANYTHING Oscar worthy. "The Good Girl" was okay, but her performance wasn't mind blowingly amazing, and I think Butler did "300" because he needed to be in the manliest movie possible after having to star in a musical directed by the same man who ruined the original "Batman" movie series.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 5:13pm
Vits - Mamma Mia!'s reviews were roughly on par with Unfaithful's reviews. It has more to do with buzz than reviews really. By the time Phantom was out, the buzz had died, and nobody really knew who Gerard Butler was anyway. With Unfaithful, Diane Lane had been around for awhile, and she apparently had the momentum to get nominated.

The Academy usually only goes for the performance if they like the movie. It sometimes works the other way around, but it usually doesn't. However, I see where you're coming from about the whole "if the Academy likes it" argument and somewhat agree

BurnHollywoodBurn - I've never seen The Good Girl, but I'm totally LOL'ing at the comment about 300... mainly because I think it might be true

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 8:08pm
In the end, we need to realize that with the Oscars, it's all about politics. There are reasons why they choose the winners they choose, and it not always about which movie or aspect of the movie was the "best", it's about what movie or aspect of the movie they found best suited to what they want to award.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by orly1971

I think she's a very underrated actress that doesn't get enough recognition for her performances.

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 6:26am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

I think she's a very underrated actress that doesn't get enough recognition for her performances.

The only way she will is if she stops doing rom-coms, and stars in a drama in which she doesn't rely on her looks and she gives a very emothional performance. That's what Oscar voters like.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 1:00pm
What?When has she done that?

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 3:08pm

She hasn't and that's why she hasn't won any awards yet.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 4:17pm
Actually, Jennifer Aniston starred in Friends with Money, and there was some Oscar buzz about her for that particular role, but when the final ballot came out, she didn't make it.

Still, that just proves BHB's point.  If Aniston stars in dramas, and apparently dramas with ensemble casts, she shines.

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Actually, Jennifer Aniston starred in Friends with Money, and there was some Oscar buzz about her for that particular role, but when the final ballot came out, she didn't make it.

Still, that just proves BHB's point.  If Aniston stars in dramas, and apparently dramas with ensemble casts, she shines.

Yep, she needs to jump off the sinking Titanic that is the rom-com genre.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 9:42am

In the end, we need to realize that with the Oscars, it's all about politics. There are reasons why they choose the winners they choose, and it not always about which movie or aspect of the movie was the "best", it's about what movie or aspect of the movie they found best suited to what they want to award.

Exactly.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:04am

I was talkin'bout your comment.When has she ever rely on her looks?And'on't talk'bout nude scenes.

The only way she will is if she stops doing rom-coms, and stars in a drama in which she doesn't rely on her looks and she gives a very emothional performance. That's what Oscar voters like.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 4:15pm

I was talkin'bout your comment.When has she ever rely on her looks?And'on't talk'bout nude scenes.
Not so much nude scenes, it's just that the Oscars like to reward pretty actresses that make themselves ugly for a dramatic role.

-------------

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: March 22 2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by orly1971

I wholeheartedly agree. Aniston is average in looks, grooming, and acting ability. She talks and talks and talks. And talks. So what.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Posted By: kelemenmarc
Date Posted: March 23 2010 at 6:57am
Well I think Aniston and Butler finally can grab a Razzie nom. They both of deserve because of work in this and some other movie.

FOR YOUR RAZZIE CONSIDERATION:

WORST LEAD ACTRESS: Jennifer Aniston

WORST LEAD ACTOR: Gerard Butler

WORST SCREEN COUPLE: Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler

-------------
FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)

Date Posted: March 23 2010 at 10:10am
I'm sure this movie and "Repomen" are already considered the front-runners for next year's Razzies.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2010 at 11:53am

I'm sure this movie and "Repomen" are already considered the front-runners for next year's Razzies.

Throughout the past winter, I'd been hearing there'd be much worse RAZZIE contenders headed our way.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

Throughout the past winter, I'd been hearing there'd be much worse RAZZIE contenders headed our way.

True, we do have hundreds of sequels, remakes, and 3-D just for the sake of being 3-D movies that have yet to be released.

-------------

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: March 26 2010 at 8:02am
In the L.A. Weekly review of "Bounty Hunter", it states that "Jennifer Aniston's hair plays a ...crime reporter...".

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: March 26 2010 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by moorlock2003

In the L.A. Weekly review of "Bounty Hunter", it states that "Jennifer Aniston's hair plays a ...crime reporter...".
That is some talented hair!

-------------

Posted By: PopcornAvenger
Date Posted: April 06 2010 at 3:10pm
A 92% rotten (that is, 8% fresh!) score. Ye gods, that's the lowest score I've ever seen.
I think we haff a winnar! DeadClap

Date Posted: April 06 2010 at 4:54pm
Let's not jump ahead of ourselves just yet. There's still a big fat Razzies target that has yet to be released starring Stallone and Company!

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2010 at 8:53pm

If I heard correctly, The Bounty Hunter will have stiff competition when 2010 is through with.

-------------

Posted By: sharong
Date Posted: July 14 2010 at 2:00am
This could be the worst screen couple since Affleck and Lopez..

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2010 at 11:04am
Maybe we should call them "Gennifer"?

-------------

Posted By: kakucis
Date Posted: August 02 2010 at 7:24am
This isn't the best Romantic comedy for all time but is sure watchable.

I will always remember one quote from this movie"

“Remember when we used to be in love? That means I know when you’re crying for real or when you’re faking it!”

This was the best moment on all time! Perfect timing, perfect place to say that

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 3:10pm
I was sure this would be nominated for the People's Choice Awards for "Comedy Movie" but it only got "Favorite Movie Actress." 

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:09pm
I said fudge 'em! The only "choice" awards that matter are the Critic's Choice Awards, also known as the Broadcast Film Critics' awards.

But it does beg the question: Haven't audiences had enough of Aniston as well? Love Happens was worse than The Informant, and the few bombs she's starred in don't make for anything memorable.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Not sure if you were joking or not, but the Peoples' Choice Awards are not the same thing as the Broadcast Film Critics' Awards. The PCs were started over 30 years ago by Proctor & Gamble as a way to promote their products by having the general public vote on entertainment ( http://www.peopleschoice.com - ). The Broadcast Film Critics, on the other hand, actually are voted by credentialed critics, and have been giving out awards annually since the mid-1990s ( http://www.bfca.org/ - )... 

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:14pm
If it does, then the People's Choice Awards are even LESS credit than the MTV Movie Awards, which is -10% credit!

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:42pm
-10% credit? Does that mean that if they say or do something, do their competitors get the credit? Or does everyone who says or does the opposite gain 10% more credibility?

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 9:22pm
Um, um ... both?

-------------

Posted By: Razziedent Evil
Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 3:39pm
Jennifer Aniston is W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y overdue for a Worst Actress nod. That's first. 

Second - 8% on RT, 22/100 on MetaCritic? If the Razzies don't "show love" for this (and Aniston especially) it'll be like the Oscars snubbing Social Network!  

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2010 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Razziedent Evil

Jennifer Aniston is W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y overdue for a Worst Actress nod. That's first. 

I think Katherine Heigl is Jennifer Aniston's understudy. She gets all the worse rom-coms that Aniston has the common sense to turn down.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Razziedent Evil

If the Razzies don't "show love" for this (and Aniston especially) it'll be like the Oscars snubbing Social Network!

What makes you think they won't nominate THE SOCIAL NETWORK?

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 12:25am
Got my Razzie ballot, and this movie is all over it.  Watched it on Netflix, and I have to admit, it was very painful to watch Jennifer Anniston and Gerard Butler waddle through this muck of a script.  However, a laughless rom/com bomb doesn't compare to the travesty that is The Wolfman or the unintentional comedy that is Skyline.

SPOILER ALERT

And I don't mind spoiling the spoiled. . . .

But let's go over this.  What is good about it?  Well, Adam Rose was good in it as Jimmy, the snooping bartender who was kidnapped early on in the movie.  He was about the only actor who was able to take the dreck of a screenplay and make his part work.  And hearing a Frank Sinatra song over a dull, boring part always helps take away part of the pain, although I have to wince having Sinatra's music in any way associated with this.

And that's about it for the good stuff.

As for the bad stuff, my problem is where to start.  I should probably restate the fact that I failed to laugh once in this so-called com, and I should also emphasize that my heartstrings failed to be strummed in this rom. 

And you know what's worse?  It starts off with the dreaded flashback.  Why did they put that flashback at the beginning of the movie?  Why did they even think watching Gerard Butler drive a car full of roadside flare smoke down a highway, open the trunk, get punched in the balls by Jennifer Anniston, and then watch them run down the highway until Butler tackles Anniston. . . why is any of that funny?

Stewart.  Jason Sudeikis' Stewart.  Fake mustache.  Fake personality.  Fake acting.  Talk about suspending the disbelief of an audience, my disbelief hits an air pocket every time Stewart appears.  Is Sudeikis on the ballot?  No, and when compared to Anthony Hopkins sleepwalking through The Wolfman. . . well Hopkins is still better, but it was so beneath him.  This is apparently all we got from Sudeikis in this movie, and the director Andy Tennant was fine with that.  Shows how much Tennant thought of this movie.

Kitty.  The mother-in-law who has the hots for her son-in-law, with that scary looking billboard that should warn everyone to stay away from her show.  Christine Baranski can do better than this.  Okay, she did do Legal Eagles and Addams Family Values, but she does have the talent to do better.  Not this.

Theresa.  Another horrible character, this one played by Siobhan Fallon, who also unfortunately has a role in Fred: The Movie (no! no! no! no! no! no! no! . . .). 

Cupid's Cabin.  The wife and husband owners.  That was so awful they weren't funny at all.

And all the unfunny bits.  A ten second head start?  Running around in high heels?  Sneaking around in high heels on a concrete floor?  Throwing your ex-wife con in the car trunk?  Having a lucky letter (how about "F"?)?  Tempting him with his gambling addiction?  Blowing on his dice to give him luck (sounds better than it looks. . .)?  Winding up on top of him while trying to get his gun?  Using a touring bike as a getaway vehicle?  Oh, how about a driving range where the golfers swing one after another in perfect time just as the stupid bounty hunter runs by?  And how about boxes of evidence marked "Gotti"? 

The funniest thing in the movie?  There's two. 

First, watching Gerard Butler and Jennifer Anniston philosophize about life and death during dinner at Cupid's Cabin.  What do they call all those facial expressions and gestures that have nothing to do with what they're talking about?  It was neither comic or romantic. 

Second was the only false line Adam Rose gave in the whole movie.  "Is that against the law?"  The joke wasn't funny.  The fact that the screenwriter thought the joke was funny was funny.

I still didn't laugh.  Not even at how bad this film was.

I was disappointed.  Here is yet another premise where the screenwriter and director failed to deliver on its potential. 

I gave it a generous three stars out of ten.  Not the worst, but that's not saying much.

Razzie noms:  Gerard Butler and Jennifer Anniston for worst screen couple (no chemistry at all), Adam Tennant for worst director, worst screenplay, Christine Baranski for worst supporting actress, and I wish Jason Sudeikis was on the ballot for worst supporting actor (but I'd still vote for Anthony Hopkins).

Date Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:54pm
I just saw this.I barely laughed.

At first I thought it could be a well done movie based on all the subplots:MILO must hunt NICOLE,NICOLE must solve the mystery,both are after a bad guy,the bookies are other bad guys after them,etc.So what is the problem with this movie?All the plot holes made me realize how amateur the writer are director are for not handling the subplots.

Is not that Gernnifer deliver bad performances as much as they play the same characters as always,making them bad actors.There aren't real reasons for those two to get back together.So the movie deserves it's nominations.

I give this 3/10.

You won't believe the day I had!After I saw this Razzie nominee on TV I went to the movies and saw Oscar nominee TRUE GRIT and gave it 9/10.
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Why did they put that flashback at the beginning of the movie?
I know.The situation happens again about 30 minutes later.It would make more sense if the scene showned had been from 30 minutes before the movie was over.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window