Print Page | Close Window

LOTSA GUTS...STILL NO GLORY!

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES
Forum Name: REPO MEN
Forum Discription: Stay Away from Them, They'll Rip Yer Lungs Out, Jim!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4205
Printed Date: April 16 2014 at 8:57pm

Topic: LOTSA GUTS...STILL NO GLORY!
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: LOTSA GUTS...STILL NO GLORY!
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 9:20am
WE GOTTA HAND IT to http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000179/ - THIS MOVIE WAS a DOG.  AMONG the THINGS HE DIDN'T MENTION (and MAY HAVE BEEN CONTRACTUALLY PROSCRIBED from MENTIONING):

1)   http://www.razzies.com/forum/repo-men_forum422.html - ® "WINNING" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881891/awards -

2) THIS FILM LOOKS EMBARRASSINGLY SIMILAR to the 2008 RAZZIE® "WINNING" http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385296/awards -
3) THIS FILM HAD MULTIPLE TITLE CHANGES on ITS NEARLY ENDLESS JOURNEY to a MULTIPLEX ALARMINGLY NEAR YOU (AMONG the ALTERNATIVES: REPOSSESSION MAMBO)...  

4) THIS FILM IS FOREST WHITAKER's http://www.razzies.com/forum/our-family-wedding_forum419.html - http://www.razzies.com/forum/our-family-wedding_forum419.html - http://www.razzies.com/forum/our-family-wedding_forum419.html -
5) THIS FILM, LIKE the RAZZIE® "WINNING" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/awards -

6) AND, LASTLY, LAW TOTALLY DIDN'T LET ON THAT THIS MOVIE...SUCKS! 

P.S. JUDE ALSO ELUDED MENTIONING THAT the TRADE PAPER REVIEW in HOLLYWOOD REPORTER WAS SUB-HEADLINED: "LET the 2010 RAZZIE® RACE BEGIN..." 

HERE's a http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/repo-men-film-review-1004076677.story -

LAW: "You do realize this is a ticking bomb, just waiting to go off..." 

SCHREIBER: "Are you talking about the prop in your hand...
or the movie itself?!?"  

WHITAKER: "Whoah, man -- After http://www.razzies.com/forum/our-family-wedding_forum419.html - I can't afford to be around when another bomb goes off!"

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 9:42am
Ah, poor Forest Whitaker! Like Cuba Gooding Jr. before him, he is suffering from the curse of Poor Post-Oscar-win Career Choices...  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 2:14pm
I'm almost thinking a new Razzie award needs to be born. It should be named in honor of Ben Kingsley, and would be given to the actor who, after a couple of Oscar worthy performances (in his case, Ghandi and Schindler's List) utterly flushes his/her career with a series of appearances in incredibly crappy films (in his case, A Sound of Thunder, The Love Guru, Blood Rayne et. al.)

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 3:21pm
Worst Post Oscar Winning Career! I like it! It's like a reverse Lifetime Achivement Award.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Julianstark
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Worst Post Oscar Winning Career! I like it! It's like a reverse Lifetime Achivement Award.

I'm in for that award!

-------------
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! http://julianstark-moviesandotherthings.blogspot.com - Movies and Other Things

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 7:23pm
Why call it after Ben Kingsley?  We should call it after the grand queen of all career flushes down the royal drain herself - Joan Crawford.  Not even Kingsley can match the hilarious awfulness of Strait Jacket, Beserk and Trog.  And to top it all off, after she died, the movie about her life, starring the very actress Crawford wanted to portray her, Mommie Dearest, "won" Worst Picture, Worst Actress (Faye Dunaway), Worst Supporting Actor (Steve Forrest), Worst Supporting Actress (Diana Scarwid), and Worst Picture Of The Decade.  Crawford became a Razzie magnet even in her death.  This is a steep fall from the performance I saw in Grand Hotel

No, as awful a mess as Ben Kingsley made of his career of late, please don't name it after him when there is certainly one other who made a bigger mess out of her career.

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 8:05pm
I agree with cvcjr. If we do name this Reverse Lifetime Achievement Award after an past Oscar winning actor or actress whose career went to s***, it should be Joan Crawford for the reasons stated above.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2010 at 8:32pm
While the Crawford point is well taken, I would point out that the Razzies traditionally haven't paid much attention to movies or actors that came before the award itself. Consequently, Kingsley is more in line with the traditions established. But since Head Razz will ultimately make the final decision on the award and who deserves to carry the name should it be created, I leave the matter in his hands from this point.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 3:46am
Actually, the three Crawford movies Strait Jacket, Beserk and Trog, along with Mommie Dearest, are all listed in HeadRAZZ's The Official Razzie Movie Guide as being among HeadRAZZ's 100 movies "so bad that they are good".  If that's not enough of a Razzie tradition for this award to be named after Joan Crawford, I don't know what is, and I submit any argument to the contrary to be as ridiculous as the movies thus named.

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 11:50am
I'm simply noting that no serious consideration for "Lifetime Achievement Awards" or any sort of "Worst Movie of whatever time period" awards have ever been seriously considered in the time frame prior to the birth of the Razzies...while I don't have any serious objections to the proposed award being named after Crawford, it is, in fact, rather contrary to Razzie tradition.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 3:11pm
Well, saturnwatcher does have a point about the time frame thing. But the award should be named after Cuba Gooding Jr, because his career went to hell after winning his Oscar.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 4:19pm
Just keep being ridiculous, guys.  Just keep being ridiculous.  Ooo, ooo, there has to be an award for it to be tradition, never mind what HeadRAZZ says.  He doesn't count.  Ooo ooo. . . .

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Just keep being ridiculous, guys.  Just keep being ridiculous.  Ooo, ooo, there has to be an award for it to be tradition, never mind what HeadRAZZ says.  He doesn't count.  Ooo ooo. . . .

Channeling moviewizguy (after being told that M. Night Shy sucks) much?

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 9:40pm
Ooo, nonsequitur with Yoda speak, BHB writes.  That certainly refutes the point that HeadRAZZ is as much of RAZZIE tradition as you can get.  Oh, yes, it does.  I love this logic. . . . LOL

Second point, it is the OFFICIAL RAZZIE Guide.  Of course, it is merely OFFICIAL.  I guess for you two, it would have to be the TRADITIONAL RAZZIE Guide to have any sway.  Oh, yes, that's good logic, too.  LOL

Shall we go to the third point of the faulty logic that movies older than 1979 do not count, because, obviously, only bad movies released during RAZZIE award years count?  Please, let's go there!  LOL

Oh, and please, don't project your problem on me, will you?  I'm not the one using bad logic and glossing it over with the word "tradition", and then turn around and fail to understand, let alone address, logical points when given.

Channeling moviewizguy (after being told that M. Night Shy sucks) much?

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 9:56pm

Ooo, nonsequitur with Yoda speak, BHB writes.  That certainly refutes the point that HeadRAZZ is as much of RAZZIE tradition as you can get.  Oh, yes, it does.  I love this logic. . . . LOL

Second point, it is the OFFICIAL RAZZIE Guide.  Of course, it is merely OFFICIAL.  I guess for you two, it would have to be the TRADITIONAL RAZZIE Guide to have any sway.  Oh, yes, that's good logic, too.  LOL

Shall we go to the third point of the faulty logic that movies older than 1979 do not count, because, obviously, only bad movies released during RAZZIE award years count?  Please, let's go there!  LOL

Oh, and please, don't project your problem on me, will you?  I'm not the one using bad logic and glossing it over with the word "tradition", and then turn around and fail to understand, let alone address, logical points when given.
Oh no, no, my friend. It was merely a joke and nothing else. It wasn't that your post lacked logic, but the way it was phrased in a type of MWG "you guys don't know what you're talking about" way. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2010 at 10:08pm

Oh, sorry.  Misunderstood.  Understand, too, I'm just in full-on ridicule mode here.  It's prompted by the concept of "tradition" and the way it's being applied here.

Posted By: PopcornAvenger
Date Posted: March 28 2010 at 6:26am
I actually liked Mommie Dearest.

Date Posted: March 28 2010 at 8:16am
Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

I actually liked Mommie Dearest.
Greatest comedy ever! Can't get any funnier than "No wire hangers! EVER!". How's that for character development?

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: March 28 2010 at 2:12pm

Considering how beloved Mommie Dearest was...*** ******! How the **** did Heaven's Gate end up as the second worst movie of 1981 to Mommie Dearest?!?!

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Posted By: Headbanger14
Date Posted: March 28 2010 at 9:55pm
I'll be honest I liked Jude Law and Forest Whitiker's acting performances, but good GOD, this movie was stupid!

Who in God's name repos body parts and then leaves the person on the floor to die? Is that some kind of sick joke? As for as Worst Actor or Actress goes, this movie's no contender, but for WORST SCREENPLAY? I'd give it a nomination.

Posted By: PopcornAvenger
Date Posted: March 29 2010 at 6:07am
The story actually reminds me of a book by scifi writer Larry Niven, and it was pretty good. It wasn't about artificial parts and repossession, though, but about groups of criminals called "organleggers" that would kidnap people and break them down in surgery rooms for their very valuable organs. The protagonist was a police officer who'd lost an arm and eye, only to learn the replacements he'd received were seized contraband (in other words, taken from innocent victims).

That would have been a good screenplay, I think. Hell, it was a good book. Kinda do a Blade Runner styled thing, maybe.  

You could write a good screenplay and hire a decent director; apparently they didn't, and instead went for the "buckets of blood" remedy to try to cover up the poor story.

Date Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

The story actually reminds me of a book by scifi writer Larry Niven, and it was pretty good. It wasn't about artificial parts and repossession, though, but about groups of criminals called "organleggers" that would kidnap people and break them down in surgery rooms for their very valuable organs. The protagonist was a police officer who'd lost an arm and eye, only to learn the replacements he'd received were seized contraband (in other words, taken from innocent victims).

That would have been a good screenplay, I think. Hell, it was a good book. Kinda do a Blade Runner styled thing, maybe.  

You could write a good screenplay and hire a decent director; apparently they didn't, and instead went for the "buckets of blood" remedy to try to cover up the poor story.
Actually, I thought I saw a novel with the movie's cover on it. So this is either a loosey based adapatation of that novel you mentioned above, or it was just a novelazation (spell?) of the movie.

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2010 at 12:38am
"May I have your liver?" . . .
Seriously, though, there is something to be said about the premise of this movie and current events. 

Now, please don't take the following as me being political.  I can see that being hard considering all that's gone on lately.  But, if you can set aside the politics for a moment, consider what the healthcare industry is doing to us right now with the cost of procedures and lifelong prescriptions that saves our lives, extends our lives, and decreases our chronic pains without ever truly curing us. . .   The premise of this movie exaggerates the situation to make a point.  That is, it would if it was a good, maybe even a great movie.  Too bad it's not.

Originally posted by Headbanger14

Who in God's name repos body parts and then leaves the person on the floor to die? Is that some kind of sick joke?

Date Posted: March 30 2010 at 1:54pm

"May I have your liver?" . . .
Seriously, though, there is something to be said about the premise of this movie and current events. 

Now, please don't take the following as me being political.  I can see that being hard considering all that's gone on lately.  But, if you can set aside the politics for a moment, consider what the healthcare industry is doing to us right now with the cost of procedures and lifelong prescriptions that saves our lives, extends our lives, and decreases our chronic pains without ever truly curing us. . .   The premise of this movie exaggerates the situation to make a point.  That is, it would if it was a good, maybe even a great movie.  Too bad it's not.

Originally posted by Headbanger14

Who in God's name repos body parts and then leaves the person on the floor to die? Is that some kind of sick joke?
Yeah, I agree with cvc. It's suppose to be political in nature, like Americans losing their homes due to mortage rates or the current debate over health care. But of course, Hollywood takes it to that next level, the level of bad taste, and has hitmen reposessing people's artifical organs! Now if only they would do that on a certain former Vice President by the name of Dick C...

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:22pm
A part of good acting's based on choosing to be in good movies. Forrest Whitaker was also in http://www.razzies.com/forum/our-family-wedding_forum419.html - That's 2 failures in the same month!  

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: May 03 2010 at 5:03pm
The curse of the post Oscar win continues!  

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2010 at 11:34pm

How do we convince actors to get their act together and READ THE ****E*-**N*-*****N* SCRIPTS AND THINK TWICE BEFORE SIGNING ON?!?!?!

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 4:50am
Oh that's easy -- you just offer to pay their bills and rent for them!

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 11:53am

Even I'd forgotten that they need several Megadollars a month for rent and bills. It's not out of negligence like I'd thought; It's out of desperation.

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 12:07pm
Yeah, just ask Nic Cage, who has to accpect every script that is presented to him so that he can pay for all his MANY houses, cars, comic books, boats, castles, islands, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 1:07pm

Yeah, just ask Nic Cage, who has to accpect every script that is presented to him so that he can pay for all his MANY houses, cars, comic books, boats, castles, islands, etc.

Glucch! If I ever strike it rich, I'll need to be VERY conservative with my money then. I've just learned that you can't put yourself in a situation to despair for a paycheck. Besides: If I made several Megadollars a year and only spend a few grand of it on luxury, the paparazzi wouldn't be interested. I've seen rap stars precipitating 50 Grand in one night at dance clubs, and come to think of it, I'm surprised and appalled at America's top class for being so loose with their money.

You be the judge with this rant: If I follow these comments, will I have learned from several others mistakes to avoid a bad reputation? Because I wouldn't want to spend my money like that, am I mentally abnormal or un-American? Or do I simply know nothing of being rich?

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2010 at 3:53pm
Personally, I think saving your money is common sense, so at least you have it later for something IMPORTANT. Because, when do you really need castles AND islands?

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2010 at 4:33pm

Might I entertain that this plot of carving out people's organs by force is similar to a classic urban legend?

Sorry, I can only post the raw URL, I'm having trouble refining the text...  

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/robbery/kidney.asp - http://www.snopes.com/horrors/robbery/kidney.asp

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2010 at 12:14pm
Yeah, the movie is pretty much a sci-fi on the infamous "wake in a tub of ice with your kidneys missing" urban legend.

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 4:54pm
I just saw it.

It has an interesting premise and themes,but the first half is too slow and the second half is a walking cliche.And the twist ending was unnecessary.I mean,it covered the plot holes by stating they were so implaussible because they didn't happen,but what were they trying to tell us exactly with the twist?The plot hole that wasn't coevered was JAKE revealing he caused REMY's accident.So he knew that by busting that thing REMY would have an accident that would conveniently require to give him a new organ and then,in his weak state,continue to be a Repo Men instead of something more calmed like the salesman he wanted to be?!

Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker were good.Alice Braga?Not so much.

I give this 4/10.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window