Print Page | Close Window

Doggie Discomfort Bagz, Anyone?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS"
Forum Name: MARMADUKE
Forum Discription: Nominated for WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR / George Lopez
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4316
Printed Date: December 19 2014 at 1:36am

Topic: Doggie Discomfort Bagz, Anyone?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Doggie Discomfort Bagz, Anyone?!?!?
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 11:20am
CUTE ANIMAL MOVIES -- ESPECIALLY ONES WHERE the ANIMALS HAVE HUMAN QUALITIES -- ARE USUALLY AMONG the LAZIEST "SUREFIRE" WAYS to MAKE BIG BOX OFFICE BUX. 

BASED on a SYNDICATED COMIC STRIP THAT NO ONE WE KNOW UNDER 70 HAS EVER READ REGULARLY, http://www.razzies.com/forum/marmaduke_forum439.html%20 - SADLY, FAMILY AUDIENCES MAY EAT IT UP LIKE a BOWLFUL of KIBBLE. 

BUT HERE at the OFFICIAL RAZZIE® FORUM, WE'RE IN NO MOOD to QUIBBLE -- PROMOs for THIS MAKE IT LOOK LESS LIKE IT BELONGS in http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/305091.jpg -

LOPEZ: "Man, this dog's breath stinks!"  

WILSON: "Wrong again, Georgie! That's me -- I just 
had a burrito at the craft services table..."  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:47pm
That dog looks sort of scary with its pointed, wavy ears. I've had enough animal-themed family comedies over the past few years, and if this one fails, it likely will have a chance at my Worst of '010. But it also has Revenge of Kitty Galore to compete against...

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:55pm

I may be mistaken on this point, not being a regular (or even occasional) reader of the Marmaduke comic strip...HOWEVER: I don't think that Marmaduke ever "talked" in the strip, nor were we privy to his thoughts. He pretty much behaved like a real dog...maybe somewhat exaggerated. 

Evidently, once again Hollywood is playing pretty fast-and-loose with their source material, to the point of trashing it completely...if that is even possible in this case.  

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 2:38pm
Oh, yes! Yet another "talking dog" movie. Joy! (Bangs head against a wall)

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 3:29pm
(Bangs head against a wall) -- Please don't do that.  Banging your head may cause you to damage your brain, possibly to the point it would make you want to see this movie. 

Also, I am hearing some interesting stuff at the IMDB boards.  One is that Marmaduke is prooof that Hollywood is a lost cause, and we may never see great films on the level of the Star Wars and Indy trilogies (not the prequels or the fridge nuker, of course), Godfather 1 & 2, or Shawshank ever again.  As in not now, not 100 years from now, not ever.  And the "lack of originality" is taken to the extreme.

Then again, it's not surprising in a world with music-less music channels, live action on Cartoon Network, Paris Hilton on TV Guide Network, and other forms of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NetworkDecay - decay .  In both cases (TV and movies like Marmaduke), it appeals to the lowest common denominator audience.  The people who actually have brains...well, they are basically outsiders.  How long will it be before people snap out of this like they did when Disaster Movie was released?

P.S. I wonder if Marmaduke could be considered Owen Wilson's second suicide attempt?

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2010 at 3:58pm
"Banging your head may cause you to damage your brain, possibly to the point it would make you want to see this movie." -- Good point, and then I might start agreeing with MWG's opinions!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 9:04pm
I suppose a class action suit against the industry couldn't possibly work because it would be nearly impossible to prove malicious harm (even though it clearly does in subliminal ways, of course), am I right?  Oh well, sooner or later, if they stay on this track, the bottom will fall out and they'll all go broke (or if the FCC's willing to step in and declare them monopolies, which frankly they're getting very close to anyway, more studios and thus more competition might encourage more creativity). 

Back onto the picture in question (which Monk might give a look at given he said Marmaduke's a favorite character of his, but now that he found his wife's killer and overcame much of his neuroses, even he'd probably bail before the end now), yes, there seems to be no originality whatsoever, and if they want to beat the film's lesson into your head in the trailer (a lesson that anyone with an IQ over 10 would have easily learned by now anyway), why bother showing up in the first place, I reason?  The best family films let the message speak for itself in the story; Wilder's Wonka being a good example, which allows us to draw our own conclusions on our own time.  And also true about the animal film point; the gimmick will only work if there's substance behind the gimmick, if you end up believing the animal in question is a three-dimensional character.  And even with that in mind, having it do too much unnatural material detracts from the reality; Free Willy and Air Bud stand out as the best animal films of the last 20 years as their heroes remain largely natural--and are as noted above essentially realistic characters in their own right--despite the heightened realities of the situations they're put in.  But of course, the filmmakers here and now only look at the most obvious aspect, so the results will speak for themselves even if it does make a lot of money the first weekend. 

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 4:27am
Do you really think that will work?

-------------

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 3:34am
Where are the pooper scoopers when you need them???

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 3:38am
I think there's something in the U.S. Constitution against inflicting "cruel and unusual punishment" that might apply here...  

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 5:14am
If y'alls will remember, I was complaining about this movie long, long ago.
For those of you complaining about "Another talking dog movie", remember, if you would please, that this is a talking dog movie, based upon a comic strip that generally uses one frame, and the humor is that the dog is big and clumsy. This movie takes that same source material, and turns that silent, clumsy dog, and has him voiced by Owen Wilson, which would make me think that they want him to be somewhat smarmy, because otherwise, why go with Owen Wilson, and cap it off with a bunch of fart jokes. So this is indeed again, another example of Hollywood taking the name of something that already exists to bring in a pre-existing fan base, and deviating entirely from the source material. This is the lowest form of greedy, and one can only hope the movie makes less than a million dollars. Ever.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 10:54am
In other words, this movie is NOT loyal to its source material at all! 

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 10:30am
They CHEATED us! Most of the crew of this movie are the worst kinds of lowlives in the business!

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

They CHEATED us! Most of the crew of this movie are the worst kinds of lowlives in the business!
Not really. In order for them to "cheat" us, they had to offer us something good and not deliver. In this case, they failed to deliever on both accounts.

-------------

Posted By: tdickensheets
Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 1:50pm
Make Garfeld movie look good!

-------------
Thomas Dickensheets

Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by tdickensheets

Made the Garfeld movies look good!
And considering how bad both of those movies were, that's quite an achievement!

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: September 16 2011 at 6:07pm
Why was this movie needed?

The good:

It's not as bad as it could have been: As bad as this was, it wasn't the horror-show that I was expecting. I never once considered running into heavy traffic like I thought I would. Of course, I watched this after Sex And The City 2 and Fartbender looks, almost, good compared to that!

It wasn't the worst George Lopez movie from last year: Pretty much self-explanetary. At least this was up-front about being derivative, unlike Valentine's Day* and The Spy Next Door**.

The bad:

George Lopez: Lopez sucks as the family cat. He's very annoying, but he's not quite the worst hispanic comedian out there *cough* Carlos Mencia

Lee Pace: Pace plays Marmaduke owner, Adolf Hitler***. Pace is bland and annoying and seems unnecessary now that Marmaduke talks.

Why was Emma Stone in this?: How much money did they dump in front of her house? This came out between Zombieland and Easy A, so let's just call this a bump in the road.

The ugly:

Owen Wilson: Did Marmaduke really need a voice?

Fergie: Fergie needed to take time off from making ear-rapingly bad music, so she did something almost as torturous. She plays a bitch that Marmaduke wants to get with, but they both realize that Emma Stone's a better-fit. No arguments there!

The potential future if this was a hit: Imagine it: Family Circus: The Movie! Annoying children running with ghosts saying not me! Or Funky Winterbean: The Movie! Here's some potential dialogue: "I have cancer." "I have cancer cancer." "My nephew was found alive even though they reported him dead.**** Fortunately, this flopped, sparing us Mallard Fillmore: The Movie!

Well's that the show. Grade: D+

Next-up: Zoom!

*Rip-off of Love, Actually
**Rip-off of True Lies
***Seriously, the owner in the comic has a Hitler-mustache.
****To explain, there was a story where Funky's nephew Wally was found alive in Iraq, even though he was reported dead. This means that they didn't do a DNA test and that writer Tom Batiuk knows about as much about the military as Loose Change director Dylan Avery knows about telling the truth.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:35am
[TUBE]nHn7vz_1P7g[/TUBE]

Skip to 03:39.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window