Print Page | Close Window

The SON Also Rises?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES
Forum Name: KARATE KID (2010)
Forum Discription: Is This Lazy, Nepotistic Remake a Case of "WHACKS OFF"?!?!?
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4322
Printed Date: October 01 2014 at 3:54pm

Topic: The SON Also Rises?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: The SON Also Rises?!?!?
Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 8:39am
WHILE http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1535523/ - ® NOMINATED http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-day-the-earth-stood-still_forum301.html -
AND WHILE http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001494/awards - ® MATERIAL (IN FACT, by http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097647/awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097647/awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097647/awards - ) HE WAS AT LEAST CREDIBLE as a BULLY-PLAGUED TEEN-AGER WHO TURNS to an ELDERLY ASIAN MAN for TRAINING in the WAYS of KARATE ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001552/ - as "MR. MIYAGI," WHO in the ORIGINAL ACTUALLY WAS http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/awards - ).  AND REPLACING MORITA with http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000329/ -

CONTRIBUTING to the SENSE THAT THIS VERSION IS LIKELIER to BE RAZZIE® FODDER THAN OSCAR® BAIT IS THAT IT's HELMED by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0958969/ -
AND, WHETHER THIS NEPOTISTIC "RE-IMAGINING" KICKS ASS or SUCKS ASS, ITs VERY EXISTENCE, in a YEAR WALL-to-WALL with ALARMINGLY UN-ORIGINAL and LAZY HOLLYWOOD PRODUCT, PLAYS RIGHT INTO the RAZZIE® UBER-VIEW of MODERN MOVIE-MAKING as a VAST WASTELAND WHERE EVERYTHING OLD...IS DEJA-VU ALL OVER AGAIN. 

CHAN: "Conficius say, just as lazy man does laundry 
by leaving clothes out in rain, lazy movie-making-man 
does remake instead of bothering  to be original..." 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 9:27am
So, what decade is this again -- the 2010s or the 1980s? I really can't tell, what with the hundreds of sequels and remakes of movies from 30 years ago!  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 10:41am
Maybe we need to exhume Ronnie Reagan and stick him in the White House? Nobody would be able to tell the difference...  

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 11:29am
Zombie Reagan would probably be just as good a President as the lame duck, sleeping all the time, and reading lines while he was alive Reagan.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 12:29pm
And maybe we should re-institute old technology like cassette tapes, VHS, analog TV, the Nintendo Entertainment System...you name it.

Also, I used to wear...something...until 1995. This thing was made really thick and with plastic back in the 80's. They should make them like that again, if only because we can't tell if it's 198X or 201X anymore.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 1:09pm
This looks like a fun movie. I really enjoyed the trailer a lot, so I'll probably end up seeing it, since it's a part of my culture.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 1:33pm
Translation: Of course of I'm going to go see this movie and give it a great review, because I love all movies, and because I have no quality filter.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2010 at 1:34pm
Hey, why not. I mean if that stuff was popular 30 years ago, why wouldn't it sell nowadays? Right, right ... right? Anyone?  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

And maybe we should re-institute old technology like cassette tapes, VHS, analog TV, the Nintendo Entertainment System...you name it.

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: June 01 2010 at 7:18pm
This isn't the only 1980s re-hash coming out on the 11th.  In addition to Karate isn't Kidding, we get to deal with a new A-Team movie, a film based on a series that ran in the...yep, the eighties.

R.I.P. Hollywood Originality, 20--wait a minute, how many times have we declared originality dead in Hollywood?  I am too busy with other things to count them all!

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 2:42pm
Trust me. This film is going to be good. Early reviews say that it's a worthy remake. I was surprised to learn that the running time is 2 and a half hours. It gives the film more credibility.

Posted By: Julianstark
Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 3:21pm
While the 2.5 hour running time could be a good thing (if the film is actually good in the first place), it certainly doesn't give the film more credibility. Consider Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which actually took home Worst Picture last year.

-------------
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! http://julianstark-moviesandotherthings.blogspot.com - Movies and Other Things

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 3:35pm
Trust you, moviewizeguy? Why? You say this exact same thing for every movie that's posted here that you have interest in! And then after you say the "early reviews" are good, hundreds of bad reviews come pouring in.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Trust me. This film is going to be good. Early reviews say that it's a worthy remake. I was surprised to learn that the running time is 2 and a half hours. It gives the film more credibility.

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 5:33pm
"Worthy remake"? Can you say oxymoron?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Methinks one of the few intentionally/actually funny lines ever spoken by http://www.razzies.com/forum/alltime-razzie-champs_topic1110.html -  

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 9:07pm
Ralph Macchio's already come out and said to avoid it.  If you can't trust him, who can you trust? 

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 4:30am
OXYMORON! Clap    

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

"Worthy remake"? Can you say oxymoron?

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 4:33am
The last time an actor bad mouthed the movie adaptation/remake of his old movie/TV series was Robert Conrad from the "Wild, Wild West" series ... and that movie went on to win Worst Picture!

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 8:54am
And Gene Wilder did the same regarding the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, yet it was a financial and critical success. Abel Ferrara said this about The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans: "As far as remakes go, ... I wish these people died in Hell. I hope they're all in the same streetcar, and it blows up." And guess what? That film was also a critical success, even people have gone as far to say Nicholas Cage gave one of his best performances. And George A. Romero didn't like the remake of Dawn of the Dead , but even that was a critical and commercial success. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2010 at 10:32am
You forgot that the original stars of "Dukes of Hazzard" hated the movie version with Jessica Simpson ... and it went on to get 7 Razzie nods!  

As much I don't wish death onto people in order to stop studios from making remakes, it now seems to be the only way to make it stop!  

Did you ever stop to wonder that maybe the people who originally starred in the movie or the audiences at originally saw them in theaters are INSULTED that something they once held dear in their hearts were declared "outdated" or "irrelevant" by studios and are now looked upon as cash cows to be milked from, rather than leaving them alone as the classics that they are?  

How would you like it if a few years from now, one of your favorite movies that you thought was perfectly fine as is was is being remade?  

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 8:07am
I actually did think of that, but I try to keep my mind open, because, maybe, the remake can be the next The Departed. I try not to judge.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 11:01am
Oh please, "The Departed" isn't even Martin Scorese's best movie! "Goodfellas" or "Raging Bull" is, they really just gave him those Oscars out of pity for passing him over so many times!  

As for not judging, come on kid, it's human nature to judge things. If you just sit in the theater and just smile the entire time, not judging the movie or comparing it to the original, then you're just the kind of robotic movie-goer that studio heads love.  

-------------

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 8:33pm
I'm gonna guess that this movie will piss off fans of the original, make Pat Morita turn in his grave and cause Jackie Chan to secure a Worst Actor nod.  As of right now, Worst Actor is down to Jackie Chan and Robert Pattinson.  If one doesn't win, the other will.

Posted By: Gregory
Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 10:10pm
I don't know how much screen time Chan has in this film but perhaps he should get a Worst Supporting Actor nod (Morita received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the original film) and Smith a Worst Actor nod.

Chan could still get a Worst Actor nod for The Spy Next Door.

Date Posted: June 06 2010 at 11:28pm
Another way might be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head! 

Also, make sure the movies don't suck. 

Given that that's easier said than done, we could persuade RevolutionMuslim to declare these remakes offensive (Cinematic Stink Bombs thread revival, anyone?).  It's not wishing death, but just using the bigwigs' cowardice (see what Comedy Central did with 3 South Park episodes; I bet the studios would also cower) to save people 2 and a half hours of their lives.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 4:37am
Jackie Chan as Worst Actor? No! More like Ashton Kutcher, or the entire male cast of "Expendables" for Worst Actor *cough*Worst Ensemble Cast*cough*.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 4:39am
Great! Who here is going to start this ideal studio?  

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Another way would be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head!

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 8:08am
Tyler Perry is probably the only person I can think of that created his own studio. He gets complete creative control for his projects and makes loads of money off of them. Lionsgate just distributes them. 

Another way might be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head!

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 8:23am
That's why I said it was easier said than done.  And even the "ideal" studio won't be perfect.  It seems like no one is out there to take action...they either don't know what to do (same here with me) or they simply don't care if everything is remakes anymore. 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Great! Who here is going to start this ideal studio?  

Another way would be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head!

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 10:19am
I'm part of the problem as well: I don't expect to have a degree in film production. Worse, I have a mild disability that inhibits my creativity, so I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a film idea that's never been done before.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:20am
True, but then Perry goes and makes the exact same movie over and over again.  

Tyler Perry is probably the only person I can think of that created his own studio. He gets complete creative control for his projects and makes loads of money off of them. Lionsgate just distributes them.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:22am
Well, back in the day (the 90s), indie movies were all the rage, with filmmakers rising money on their own and making movies that helped them get their feet in the door. Sadly, nowadays some of  these same filmmakers make comic book movies or remakes.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:23am
Yeah, they say you don't really learn anything from film school, and once you do get your degree, you're lucky to go on to become a best boy grip or go-fer.

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: June 09 2010 at 9:36am
It's the same here at Chile, except that the best you can become is a TV "writer." And by "writer," I mean someone who spends hours researching the most succesful TV shows, downloading their scripts, and then translating them into Spanish!  

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:41pm
Gee, it will only be a matter of time before American movies become like that. Oh wait, they already have, with the J-horror movies and remakes of movies from only three years ago!  

Originally posted by Vits

It's the same here at Chile,except that the best you can become is a TV writer.And by "writer" I mean someone who spends hours researching for the most succesful TV shows,downloading the script and translating them into spanish.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2010 at 5:46pm
Well, it looks like Karate Kid isn't Razzie material as of now.  At 53% on the Tomatometer, it looks destined not to be a bad movie, but simply mediocre. Stern Smile The A-Team (45%) is close behind.

BTW, it seems that the J-horror remakes have been rare as of late.  I don't think wehave to worry about Death Water (2006 J-horror film known as Mizuchi) or The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty being remade into American turds.  Also absent are Seltzerberg.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2010 at 6:09pm
Yes, the Japaense-horror remake fad is dead, thanks to one failure after another. However, news has spread that Seltzerberg will return this August with "Vampire Movie"!  

BTW, it seems that the J-horror remakes have been rare as of late.  I don't think wehave to worry about Death Water (2006 J-horror film known as Mizuchi) or The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty being remade into American turds.  Also absent are Seltzerberg.

-------------

Posted By: RoadDogXVIII
Date Posted: June 10 2010 at 8:11am
You know what's funny? The film's getting better reviews than expected. But The A-Team is the one to see. Funny how the latter film was gonna receive prestigious Razzie mentions, yet has garnered enough fresh reviews at RottenTomatoes to dodge the bullet.

-------------
You think you know, but you have no idea.

Date Posted: June 10 2010 at 11:36am
Well folks, no matter how good or bad the reboot movie is, there's always the Encore Channel, which will be showing all four of the original movies in a row. So for those of you how refuse to accept this new quick buck, er, I mean movie, you can always watch the originals.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2010 at 3:27pm
This film is getting better reviews than expected despite a lot of people loathing this remake. Don't believe me? Look at IMDb. Seriously, 99.9% of the threads there are all negative and the fact that there are some positive reviews angers most of the users there. But for me, I did expect the positive reviews because a couple of months ago at that Disney expo (or whatever it was) the reactions were surprisingly positive, to a point that Comingsoon.net called it an Oscar contender! 

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2010 at 3:29pm
But aren't the 1980s sequels like...bad?  

Well folks, no matter how good or bad the reboot movie is, there's always the Encore Channel, which will be showing all four of the original movies in a row. So for those of you how refuse to accept this new quick buck, er, I mean movie, you can always watch the originals.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2010 at 5:52pm
Yes, they are, 90% of the time, and the "Karate Kid" sequels are no different. As I said in the post, watch all of them, IF YOU LIKE. Me -- I'm only watching the first, because that's the only one that matters.  

Remakes, on the other hand, are from the devil! Their sole reason for being is to "remake" the money that the original movie made during the height of its popularity.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2010 at 9:37pm
I know this belongs in another thread (which has yet to be created, but most certainly will and you know why),  but when was this first heard of?  The IMDB and Wikipedia pages have just started, and the news articles only date back as far as last May.  Did Seltzerberg keep this movie hidden during the (un)production process?  Next time, remind me not to speak too soon. UPDATE: there is a listing for an " http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/11/seltzer-and-friedberg-to-direct-la-art-movie-could-this-be-a-twilight-spoof/ - LA Art Movie " that was announced last February...but that's still only four months ago! 

Anyway, back to Karate Kid Remake. 

Then again, KK isn't really Razzie-grade material.  It's simply so-so and unnecessary.   

Yes, the J-horror remake fad is dead, thanks to one failure after another. However, news has spread that Seltzerberg will return this August with "Vampire Movie"!

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2010 at 1:34pm
Didn't we all agree that no one here gives a s*** what people say at the IMDb forums, regardless if it's positive or negative? As for being an Oscar contender, the only way that's happening is if they stick with the 10 Best Pictures rule so they can include movies that people actually saw.  

The film is getting better reviews than expected because a lot of people are loathing this remake. Don't believe me? Look at IMDb. Seriously, 99.9% of the threads there are all negative and the fact that there are some positive reviews anger most of the users there. But for me, I did expect the positive reviews because a couple of months ago in that Disney expo or whatever it was, the reactions were surprisingly positive to a point that Comingsoon.net called it an Oscar contender.

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2010 at 3:14pm
I thought you meant only positive.  

Anyway, saw the movie today and I'm not going to talk about how good the movie. I'm going to talk about my theater experience for this film because it was a sensational one. I've never, in my life, went into a movie where the audience was cheering 10 (or more) straight times in a row until I went to see this movie. Wow. It was pretty amazing. Mostly everyone in the audience was cheering in the third act through and through. The film was a fantastic experience.  

Didn't we all agree that no one here gives a s*** what people say at the IMDb forums, regardless if it's positive or negative? As for being an Oscar contender, the only way that's happening is if they stick with the 10 Best Pictures rule so they can include movies that people actually saw.

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2010 at 3:15pm
Very good point. One would thing that eventually, the movie going public would rebel en masse to having to pay to see the same movie over and over.  

Remakes, on the other hand, are of the devil! Their sole reaosn for being are to "remake" the money that the original movie made during the height of their popularity.

-------------

Posted By: DaveThePhotoGuy
Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 2:19am
F**k this remake up it's arse...as HeadRazzie said there is no way Gaydom Smith would be in this if it were'nt for his parents producing it (and by that I mean producing a peice of turd in Bono like proportions), I will watch this but luckily I am in a place where I can get very cheap dvds so I won't be wasting my hard earned cash on this sh**e.

-------------
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:04pm
Wow. Your logic is insane. If his parents are producing the film, they have the right to put their son in it. That's how life is. That's why Stan Lee could be in every comic book adaptation and why Hitchcock can make cameos in his films. If it's your film, you can do whatever you want with it. It's stupid to think otherwise. And it's a really great film. Easily one of the best films of the year.  

Originally posted by DaveThePhotoGuy

F**k this remake up it's arse...as HeadRazzie said there is no way Gaydom Smith would be in this if it were'nt for his parents producing it (and by that I mean producing a peice of turd in Bono like proportions), I will watch this but luckily I am in a place where I can get very cheap dvds so I won't be wasting my hard earned cash on this sh**e.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:38pm
Well, if anything nice could be said about the "Karate Kid" movies, it's that like the "Rocky" movies, they are crowd pleasing movies. Not always good movies, but crowd pleasing ones.  

Anyway, saw the movie today and I'm not going to talk about how good the movie. I'm going to talk about my theater experience for this film because it was a sensational one. I've never, in my life, went into a movie where the audience was cheering 10 (or more) straight times in a row until I went to see this movie. Wow. It was pretty amazing. Mostly everyone in the audience was cheering in the third act through and through. The film was a fantastic experience.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:48pm
Okay, once again, your heart is in the right place, but your logic is flawed. Does Stan Lee cast himself as the lead character in every superhero movie that's adapted from his comic books? No! Did Hitchcock cast himself as the lead of every movie he made? No! So, you can't say doing cameros and being the lead are the same thing, considering Lee and Hitchcock are only on screen for mere seconds and usually don't speak. The Smiths should hire the best kid actor for the role that must be able to carry the movie. Jayden has failed to do that in supporting roles in his past movies. In other words, casting your son for the lead role is more in your own personal interest, rather than the best interest of the movie.  

Wow. Your logic is insane. If his parents are producing the film, they have the right to put their son in it. That's how life is. That's why Stan Lee could be in every comic book adaptation and why Hitchcock can make cameos in his films. If it's your film, you can do whatever you want with it. It's stupid to think otherwise. And it's a really great film. Easily one of the best films of the year.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 6:54pm
The hatred of Jaden Smith is weird. I thought everybody loved him in Pursuit of Happyness. And he was in The Day the Earth Stood Still. Those are only TWO films, and now people act like they want to kill him. Oh, and don't worry. Jaden is very good in this film. This film shows he can carry a movie.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 7:01pm
They hate him because if he wasn't Will Smith's kid, he wouldn't be anyone.  

Although everybody loved him in THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS,he has made 2 remakes, which for us is what musicals were in the '80's: Unnecessary, and most likely bad. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 8:56pm
"TDTESS" sucked. Everyone was sleepwalking their way through the movie and Jaden was so damn annoying, I was cheering when he was dying and screamed "NO!!!" -- then Keanu saved him.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2010 at 8:57pm
BINGO! Without his daddy, Jaden wouldn't have gotten into the business, let alone last this long in it!

-------------

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 10:10am

Father and son Razzie nominations!

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 11:26am
Movie Preview Critic's opinion. It's "okay at best" to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WUCwXkxVk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WUCwXkxVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhfly_GviQ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhfly_GviQ

So his heart isn't the total lump of coal that Miguel claims it is.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 4:05pm
I don't think Will Smith has done anything this year...as an actor. I know he produced this movie, but if a movie gets nominated for "Worst Picture," does it go to the producers??

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 4:12pm
To me, Worst Picture is less about giving bad credit to the producers than it is all about saying the movie was the worst of the entire year, so Will Smith wouldn't be getting a nod for anything. Jaden, on the other hand, has a bull's eye on him!

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 4:53pm
How? Like I said before, Jaden is really good in this film.  

To me, Worst Picture is less about giving bad credit to the producers than it is all about saying the movie was the worst of the entire year, so Will Smith wouldn't be getting a nod for anything. Jaden, on the other hand, has a bull's eye on him!

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 5:00pm
Maybe, but look how much he's hated by the Razzie members here.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 5:39pm
Well, at least Razzie members don't want to kill him, unlike the other sites...well, you did want him to die in TDTESS, but that's different than wanting to kill him, I suppose.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 6:21pm
Yeah, that was because of his character being annoying throughout that movie. People online want him dead in real life because he is where he is today only because of who his daddy is.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 6:46pm
I'm sure one of the easiest ways to get ahead in Hollywood is to have connections with somebody, either a friend, or a father, or a relative. Jaden isn't the only star who got to go to fame with his father's help. Some others include Angelina Jolie, Micheal Douglas, Drew Barrymore, Bindi Irwin Gwyneth Palthrow, Kate Hudson, Beau Bridges, Jeff Bridges, Emilio Estevez, Charlie Sheen, Tori Spelling, Carrie Fischer, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jake Gyllenhal, Josh Brolin, etc. (I got the list of names from another post)

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 7:42pm
The thing is, all those other actors took years, if not decades, to become famous or step out of their famous parents' shadows. Jaden, however, seems to have leaped into fame on the first try and in the eyes of many, is ruining many a childhood memory by starring in remakes like 'TDTESS" and now "Karate Kid".

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 8:04pm
In another forum is a subforum for The A-Team [remake]. Is HeadRAZZBerry just late on moving that one up to official contender, or has he reconsidered on naming it a contender?

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2010 at 8:26pm
From what I heard, "A-Team" is a mindlessly campy action movie. But I have a feeling "The Expandables" will be convsidered much worse for just being mindless.

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:00am
So, I guess it's time to post my review:

12-year-old Dre Parker could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han, who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life. --© Sony

I'm sorry. It's not going to wait. I have to say it now: THE KARATE KID is easily one of the best movies of the year. And I'll be honest, I'm pretty glad to say that because it has been a pretty mediocre year for movies so far, and we're halfway through it! But before I say anything else, I need to come clean and say I haven't seen the original film. OK. Now I got that out of the way, let's begin. I liked the story a lot. Sure, underdog films are predictable, but I personally enjoy them immensely, especially if they're well made, like this film. There's a lot of heart in here.

The thing that stuck out most for me in this film is the setting of China. The film really benefits from this because there are rarely any Hollywood films that take place in this beautiful country. It's great to see scenes that are on location from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall. There's no CGI or built sets from California. The scenery is just fascinating. What you see is what you get. And seeing the story takes place in this country, there's an authentic feel that is brought to the film. The gorgeous cinematography just adds more to the "wow" factor to audiences who have never been to China.

The second thing that impressed me was the diverse cast. It's great to see Asians and African Americans filling the roles of a Hollywood film. You don't see that much these days. And the missing stereotypes is a huge plus in my book! Some of you might be hesitant about Jaden Smith playing the lead role but I gotta tell you, this kid has a lot of acting chops. His performance is vulnerable and you sympathize for his character. Oh, and this is the best performance I've ever seen from Jackie Chan. He gives a really powerful and emotional performance. There was one or two scenes that made me cry because of how raw his acting was. The chemistry between these two actors could not have been better. Taraji P. Henson is good although wasn't as great as Smith and Chan. Lastly, Wenwen Han was pretty good as Smith's love interest.

Now, the fight scenes. You wouldn't notice by the trailers but, I have to admit, they were pretty damn brutal and shocking. The fact that most of the fighting is done by kids just adds on to the surprisingly heavy quality of the film. The running time for the film is around 140 minutes, which may seem long and tedious and more than it should be, but due to the great pacing of the film, you would hardly notice it at all. It gives the characters, especially our protagonist, time to develop and grow. The score by Howard Shore is fantastic as well.

Overall, THE KARATE KID is THE movie to see this summer. The performances are freaking fantastic and the third act will certainly make you stand up and cheer. It's also a great movie for all ages. Sure, the story is predictable but it's well made and there's a lot of heart to it. If that's not good enough for an underdog film, then what is? I know it's stupid and clichéd but I'll just say it anyway: The film is a winner! 9/10

Date Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:14am
I'll let this one slide, since it isn't your usual high grade for some horror movie that was universally panned by critics...  

Overall, THE KARATE KID is THE movie to see this summer. The performances are freaking fantastic and the third act will certainly make you stand up and cheer. It's also a great movie for all ages. Sure, the story is predictable but it's well made and there's a lot of heart to it. If that's not good enough for an underdog film, then what is? I know it's stupid and clichéd but I'll just say it anyway: The film is a winner! 9/10

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 12:19pm
By reaching 70% at RT, this movie is officially "good"...

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 2:52pm
Probably, but once a movie's been listed on a Razzies sub-forum, it's here to stay... 

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 2:58pm
HeadRazz,why did you edit my post to turn it into a question?
I wrote: By reaching 70% at R.T., this movie is now "good".

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 3:03pm
2 and a half hours??? I could get my laundry done quicker than that.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 3:08pm
I don't think even the original was that long! Why take nearly three hours to retell a story everyone already knows?  

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 3:39pm
I've also noticed that most of the films that got forums here got reviews just barely below average. Can anything be done in regards to this? Can any conclusions be drawn?

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 4:28pm
126 minutes. 

Originally posted by moorlock2003

I don't think even the original was that long.

No.The forums are created before the movies come out.

I've also noticed that most of the films that got forums here got reviews just barely below average. Can anything be done in regards to this? Can any conclusions be drawn?

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 4:59pm
Keep in mind, these forums seem to just be a way to keep track of the movies most likely to be Razzies worthy, but by the end of the year, only a dozen (or less) make it to the final voting ballots.  

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 5:01pm
And the fact that is still made money is incredible. 

Oh, and you barely notice the long running time while watching the film. One of the many strong points in the film.  

Originally posted by moorlock2003

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2010 at 5:07pm
You call $56 million "making money"?? I'm sure the studios was hoping for twice that amount. Looks like "Avatar" sucked everyone's wallets dry and there will be very few movies making $100 million on opening weekend, other than "Ironman 2". Still, it's better than "Bangcock Dangerous" with just $7 million! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2010 at 2:04pm
For me, the problem starts with the title. I don't like kids. 

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: June 19 2010 at 3:39pm
For me is also the title.It's Kung-Fu,not Karate!

-------------

Date Posted: June 19 2010 at 6:03pm
So I'm guessing you wouldn't want to have a baby anytime soon?  

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2010 at 4:31pm
Jackie Chan's Mister Hun straight out says "I will teach you reall kung-fu!" Not to mention, the crane kick that was used in the original movie is a move from a kung-fu style of fighting, so this series has always been "The Kung-Fu Kid." But I guess "The Karate Kid" flows better. 

For me is also the title.It's Kung-Fu,not Karate!

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2010 at 4:32pm
I understand you about not liking kids, moorlock2003. Not just in real life, but let's face it, only a very small percentage of child stars can act...

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2010 at 5:19pm
It's called Karate Kid because they wanted to pay respects to the original film's title. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2010 at 5:41pm
And by "pay respects" to the title, they meant "leech off the popularity of a once popular movies series"...

-------------

Posted By: sabrasmith11
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 4:21am
I think Jaden will be an even bigger star than Will Smith. Seems he was very involved in putting together the movie. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by sabrasmith11

I think Jaden will be an even bigger star than Will Smith. Seems he was very involved in putting together the movie. 
Not possible. In order to be a bigger star than his father, every single movie he makes has to gross $300 million each and every time. He has to be "sure thing" box office draw, and no one other than Will Smith has that kind of drawing power right now.

-------------

Posted By: Natendowii
Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 4:06pm
I Didn't bother seeing this, but it has a promotional song...by Justin Bieber...

That enough is encourage me not to see it.

-------------
"In every Age,
In Every Place,
The Deeds of Man,
Remain the same."-Yoshiki Tanaka

Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Natendowii

I Didn't bother seeing this, but it has a promotional song...by Justin Bieber...

That enough is encourage me not to see it.

It plays during the end credits...

Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 4:57pm
And it's performed by him and also Jaden Smith.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Natendowii

As if they couldn't soil the original movie enough!

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 3:13pm
This has been nominated for the People's Choice Awards for "Family Movie"(won't win since it's against TOY STORY 3),"On-Screen Team"(they do have chemistry,which is what actually saved the original movie)and "Action Star"(I'm voting for Jackie Chan).

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:13pm
I guess this movie was kiiiiind of cool after all, and maybe it deserves one Golden Globe. I wouldn't even say it's worth reviving Worst Original Song for. We should spare Justin Bieber until after 2011.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:17pm
Oh, it will win everything and anything it's up for. This movie is just a crowd pleaser and serves no other purpose.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2010 at 7:41am

I guess this movie was kiiiiind of cool after all, and maybe it deserves one Golden Globe.

In what category?

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:00pm

I guess this movie was kiiiiind of cool after all, and maybe it deserves one Golden Globe.

In what category?
Probably either for the Song, or a Supporting Role.

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 11:25am
Like for Taraji P. Henson?

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:30pm

Like for Taraji P. Henson?
Her, Jackie Chan, maybe even Jayden if Will Smith is able to pull the right strings.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 5:08pm
But you said:

...or a Supporting Role.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2010 at 5:27pm

But you said:

...or a Supporting Role.
Just guessing at this point.

-------------

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: December 23 2010 at 4:39am
Well, this isn't getting anything. Maybe the sequel?

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Date Posted: March 03 2011 at 10:52pm
I was disappointed that this didn't get any Razzie noms. I'm so sick of movie stars' relatives getting a free pass into movie stardom. The worst offender must be Ben Stiller, who stuck his mom and dad and other assorted relatives in that utter waste of celluloid "Zoolander".

-------------
Fred Cooper

Print Page | Close Window