Forum Name: GROWN UPS
Forum Discription: Nominated for WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR / Rob Schneider
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4355
Printed Date: September 30 2014 at 5:00pm

Topic: Round Up the Usual Suspects...
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Round Up the Usual Suspects...
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:35am
WE'VE ALWAZE FOUND http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Adam+Sandler&btnG=Search+Razzies.com&domains=razzies.com&sitesearch=razzies.com -
ITS TRAILER FEATURED SOME of the MOST OBVIOUS POO-POO, PEE-PEE and SEX/JOCK JOKES WE'VE SEEN in YEARS. ITS CAST and CREW ARE a VERITABLE WHOOZ-HOO of RECENT RAZZIE® NOMINEES and "WINNERS." AND http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/grownups -  LABELED IT EVERY BIT as BONE-HEADED, BUTT STUPID and UNBEARABLE as ITS PROMOs. 

IN the SPIRIT of the MOVIE's MOST OVER-PROMOTED SCENE, WE NOW ENCOURAGE YOU to JOIN US...and PISS ALL OVER GROWN UPS...

SANDLER: "Between us, the principal cast and crew 
of this movie have a staggering career total of 19 
RAZZIE® nominations..."

DUGAN: "But only 2 of those are mine...and, unlike you, 
I've never 'won' a RAZZIE® -- yet..."  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:00am
Wow, 19 nominations/wins between the entire cast and crew! If that's not a sign of a serious Razzie contender, I don't know what is!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 3:58pm
I sent out the warning cry on this one several months ago and I'm glad to see it is getting a forum. This one just has to be some really painful garbage.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 4:07pm
So far, this doesn't seem to be a serious contender.  At least not as much as Jonah Hex (the Megan Fox/Josh Brolin disaster) and the Expendables (which had more nods/wins than that just out of Sly and Ahnuld).  Still, I see nomination potential...no wins, though, due to expendability.

And what's this? Rob Schneider is back? Oh god....BTW, I'm still waiting for him to be a stapler.

Also, prepare for that "berry rough ride" for the next six months.  I don't think this will be the worst or worst reviewed "comedy" of 2010.  The worst will come on August 18 with Vampires Suck, the newest parody movie from Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg.  Do you think we should include that in the Upcoming Films section?

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 5:33pm
This may not be a contender for Worst Picture, but it will no doubt be up for plenty of worst acting nods, and the much needed Worst Ensemble Cast nod.  

Originally posted by Berrynoia

So far, this doesn't seem to be a serious contender.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:05pm
I am very much surprised that this is only now getting a forum, I mean come on, it has Rob "I go down to Home Depot and pay migrant workers to come to my house and choke me in the shower" Schneider and David "My career died with Chris Farly" Spade, never even mind Sandler.

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:10pm
Yeah, but why do either Schneider or Spade still have a career? Answer: because they are all buddy-buddy with Sandler. They are just as bad at acting as he is. I guess untalented, former SNL performers need to stick together.  

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: June 24 2010 at 1:18pm

I've heard rumors that,unlike their previous movies,the 5 guys will admit their ages,instead of continue playing 30-year-olds.Is it true?

What I know is truth is that once again they're suffering the "Woody Allen" complex by having the hottest women in the world throwing themselves at their characters,even though they're not exactly underwear models.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: June 24 2010 at 4:58pm

1. Does it really matter if they confess what their real ages are? They are still going to act like college frat boys.  

2. Considering this movie features the like of Salma Hayek, Maria Bello, and Jaime Chung as the wives of the 5 guys, yeah -- it's safe to say that they are going for the "Woody Allen complex". 

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2010 at 6:23pm
The movie now has a critics's concensus:
"The cast of comedy vets is amiable, but they're let down by flat direction and the scattershot, lowbrow humor of a stunted script".
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

1. Does it really matter if they confess what their real ages are? They are still going to act like college frat boys.

2. Considering this movie features the like of Salma Hayek, Maria Bello, and Jaime Chung as the wives of the 5 guys, yeah, it's safe to say that they are going for the "Woody Allen complex".

The thing is if they try so hard to hide their age is for a reason.Also,that tends to be attached to the "Woody Allen Complex".

Larry David suffers from it.In CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM,he always get not just beautiful women,but women half his age.That hapenned to him in WHATEVER WORKS,directed by Allen himself.

I'm not saying this guys are ugly.From a straight man's point of view,Sandler has a well shaped torso(muscles-wise).And Rock and Spade has nice smiles,which tends to represent charisma.The weird part is that James and Schneider's repertoire is all about making fun of their looks.

-------------

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: June 24 2010 at 6:58pm
Right now, it's at a whopping 8% on Rotten Tomatoes! Oh, I think I smell a major RAZZIE contender here!  Big smile  

-------------
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence

Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 1:52am
With movies like this and Jonah Hex, I must ask the question: Why the hell is The Expendables still predicted as the worst movie of the summer?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I just added a Forum for http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-expendables_forum444.html - yesterday -- Here's a http://www.razzies.com/forum/aka-the-dirty-razzie-halfdozen-plus_topic4364.html%20 - to its discussion page. If you can't discern from what's posted there why http://www.razzies.com/forum/expendables-trivia-questiOn-answer_topic4368.html - looks like this summer's most dependable RAZZIE® contender, then you must be pre-disposed (for God knows what reason) to defend it...

-------------
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin

Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 6:26am
This has dropped to 7% with 59 reviews in. The critics rave: "painful!" "An excruciating mess of gross-out humor," "flat, lazy, and uninspired!" "Arguably the laziest and lamest comedy to come down the pike in some time!" and " might just be the summer’s worst movie!!"   

In other words....I think we have a contendah!!!!  

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:08am
So, will each of the male leads get their own nod, or will all five be up for Worst Actor like the entire female cast of "The Women" or all five Spice Girls before them?

-------------

Posted By: Gregory
Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:43am
Or -- just like I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, also directed by Dennis Dugan: a Worst Actor nomination for Sandler and Worst Supporting Actor nominations for the rest of the cast. Several reviews single out Sandler as the lead.

-------------

Posted By: thomsonmg2000
Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 3:34pm
I also don't understand why everyone is thinking The Expendables is going to be the worst movie of the summer. So what if the movie stars have a total of 43 Razzies noms? At least if it does suck, there might (just might) be unintentional humor we can look forward to in The Expendables with Stallone and gang.  

For horrendous unfunny comedies such as this one (dammit, Dennis Dugan must go away and Sandler needs to pick better roles!) and the (*gasp*!) new Seltzerberg "comedy," there's absolutely nothing we can get out of them. Nothing at all!

Well, at least Grown Ups is going to get crushed by Toy Story 3 and hopefully audiences will be smart enough to connect the dots between Vampire Sucks and those other Seltzerberg works.

-------------
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/

Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 8:39pm
Here is my favorite review line, from Tom Long of the Detroit News: "It's total garbage." If you live in Detroit and can say that about anything, it's BAD.

James Rocchi of MSN News came in a close second with: "This, America, is why we can't have nice things."

A line like that should clinch a Razzie Nomination for this disaster.

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:39pm
Wow, those are both great quotes. So, we have our first shoo-in/lock in the Worst Picture category??

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:36pm

Its not so much that I'm defending it, I'm just having a hard time believing that it will be worse than this Jonah Hex, Vampires Suck, The Bounty Hunter, Killers, Marmaduke, the Spy Next Door, The Tooth Fairy... the list goes on. Maybe it's because I'm not a habitual cynic, or that i don't find him offensively bad. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's gods favorite actor like some of his defenders seem to think he is, I put him more in the so bad he's good/funny category. (Not nearly as good as Ah-nuld though -- he is still the king of the one-liners, and Stallone will never reach that level).

Of course, I could be wrong: I completely underestimated the sh*t pile that was Transformers 2, so I'm no Nostradamus. I'm just trying to inspire healthy debate that doesn't involve people talking down to each other or childish name-calling. Personally, though I'll bet that, come award season this movie will be the front-runner (And no Miguel, unless Eclipse's RT/MC number  is below 20 it will not be the front runner.) This movie has Rob Schneider and David Spade in starring roles... it doesn't get much worse than that! I actually thought they were both picked off by Hamass long ago, so imagine my shock when I saw the trailer.

Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 2:27pm

According to R.T.,despite the bad directing and writing,the cast is amiable.If the movie gets acting nominations it would only be for them being in the movie,not for bad acting.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Vits

According to R.T.,despite the bad directing and writing,the cast is amiable.If the movie gets acting nominations it would only be for them being in the movie,not for bad acting.
No, it will win for the bad acting. If the writing and directing is s***, then why would the acting be any good, if that is what the actors have to work with. You could have Tom Hanks and Peter O'Toole in a Uwe Boll movie, but not even they would be able to save it from the fact it's a Uwe Boll movie.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 3:15pm

Most of the reviews made not of the fact that the cast was, indeed, friendly with each other if that is what you mean by amiable. Unfortunately, almost all of the reviewers went on to note that the fact that they were having fun didn't make things any better for the audience. This movie got almost uniformly blasted for writing, directing and acting.

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 8:34pm
I'm one of less than half of the population where I live who doesn't like Adam Sandler. Generally speaking, my classmates love Little Nicky, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, You Don't Mess With the Zohan, and some of 2002's RAZZIE classics because they love Adam Sandler movies. Even they can't compare with AWESOM-O 4000, who submitted 5,000 film ideas to Hollywood, 80% of which starred Adam Sandler.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 11:13pm
I present to you the best bad taste review for this movie: "Director Dennis Dugan is to screen comedy what the atomic bomb was to Nagasaki."

Posted By: DaveThePhotoGuy
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 1:23am
I understand the reasoning for the Schneider comment...but don't get why Spade is in there
Spade has gone on and done other things that are'nt associated with Team Sandler,
"Rules of Engagement", "The Showbiz Show" and of course his stand up.

If I happen to be wrong then cool.

-------------
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:40am
Let's break the five leads down, shall we.

Adam Sandler: Talentless. Bearly ever funny. Acts like a moron even when he's suppose to be a serious grown-up. How the hell he became the success that he is is beyond me.

Kevin James: Some talent. Best known for "King Of Queens". Had success with "Hitch", but his bigger claims to fame are because of Sandler movies, "I Now Prounce You Chuck and Larry", "Paul Blart: Mall Cop", etc.

Rob Schneider: Talentless. If it wasn't for being Sandler's friend, his career would be long over long ago. He's just there to don make-up and do his cliched "You can do it!" catchphrase.

David Spade: Some talent. His career never recovered after Chris Farley's death. He tries his best to be his on his own, but in the end, keep coming back to Sandler.

Chris Rock: The most talented of the bunch. He is best at stand-up, but lacks his smart humor when he stars in movies. This is only his second time co-starring with Sandler since "The Longest Yard".

Odds of Razzie nods for them: Worst Actor for Sandler, Worst Supporting Actors for Schneider and Spade. In a perfect world, the whole movie should be up for Worst Ensemble Cast.

-------------

Posted By: dEd Grimley
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:08pm
Here's what's bugging me lately. People think that I'm too down on movies, that I hate everything that comes out, that I'm basically just a jerk for not being able to get behind Karate Kid, or A-Team, and then we get Grownups, and I have no desire to see it at all... I mean, AM I a jerk for thinking this movie would end up in the mid 20's on the RT meter before it came out, only to OVERRATE it? And the better and more encompassing question, are movies actually particularly bad at the moment? I mean, I think so... Once again, if you look at the top 10 grossing movies along the RT ratings, it's almost never more than half of them that have positive ratings, and the most common ratio seems to be 2 fresh to 8 rotten. Has it always been this bad?
I've made this argument countless times on this board, and I get the feeling that a lot of y'alls tend to agree with me, but really... Am I a jackass for thinking this way? Being particularly unsatisfied with the last several years in particular, even as ticket prices soar higher and higher? People think that I'm like a movie hater or something, when in fact, it's entirely the opposite. I don't feel like I need to go all the way back to the so called Golden Age to find good movies... the 90s were actually pretty decent. The 80s had a few sneak in here and there, but I suppose maybe this past decade has been much the same way. The 70s had plenty of good stuff... I'm getting sidetracked.

Back on this piece o' crap, I'd like to put it in the same boat as Love Guru, but I can't. This one has more comedy star power, and it seems to fall every bit as flat. I'll give it credit for having a vaguely original storyline, and I'll take one of those over a reboot/rehash/remake/nostalgia movie any day, but I guess I'd like to hear whether or not anyone particularly disagrees with me about this past decade being crap, and whether or not I'm a jerk for pre-judging movies, and being fairly close to the critics 90% of the time.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:53pm
I gotta agree with dEd. I love movies too, but I feel like they peeked in the 70s and 80s and have been in a downward spiral since then. Movies this year are barely making $100 million, and the ones that do are because of 3-D or IMAX surcharges. RT is ripping every movie apart. I think the combination of movies these days sucking to high heaven and other outlets for movie lovers to watch classic movies at home are slowly killing the business, more so than pirating and bootlegs. It's as if Hollywood has given up on itself and is dying a slow and painful death, while DVDs and the Internet are the new form of entertainment that people are flocking to in masses. Proof that once and for all, the Movie-pocalyse is very real and it's here!

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 9:29am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Back on this piece o' crap, I'd like to put it in the same boat as Love Guru, but I can't. This one has more comedy star power, and it seems to fall every bit as flat. I'll give it credit for having a vaguely original storyline, and I'll take one of those over a reboot/rehash/remake/nostalgia movie any day, but I guess I'd like to hear whether or not anyone particularly disagrees with me about this past decade being crap, and whether or not I'm a jerk for pre-judging movies, and being fairly close to the critics 90% of the time.
Going to the movies it's like eating at a restaurant.After you looked at the menu you choose the things you like.Between those,you choose the ones you like the most.If there's a tie,you choose the cheapest one.That's not being cheap because you didn't choose the cheap one first.

You're not a jerk for having an early opinion on movies.Everyone has.But pre-judging is another thing.It's O.K. to say "I don't think I'll like GROWN UPS" but not to say "I'll never ever watch it".

-------------

Posted By: vegasfilmboy
Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 11:22am
ive never really checked this site out before now, and now i fell like ive found a 2nd home. its so nice to see that there are people that actually dont like the mainstream crap that hollywood throws at us. i cant really say i like any of the cast of 'grown ups' and the trailer made me cringe.

i think its sad that it made 41 million opening weekend and somehow will probably crack 100 mill. no accounting for taste i guess.

thanks again for being here razzie faithful and keep up the good work!

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by vegasfilmboy

ive never really checked this site out before now, and now i fell like ive found a 2nd home. its so nice to see that there are people that actually dont like the mainstream crap that hollywood throws at us.
Yeah, that's what we are all about. Welcome aboard!

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 1:37pm

Going to the movies it's like eating at a restaurant.After you looked at the menu you choose the things you like.Between those,you choose the ones you like the most.If there's a tie,you choose the cheapest one.That's not being cheap because you didn't choose the cheap one first.

You're not a jerk for having an early opinion on movies.Everyone has.But pre-judging is another thing.It's O.K. to say "I don't think I'll like GROWN UPS" but not to say "I'll never ever watch it".
Yeah, but then there are meals that you KNOW you're not going to like no matter how much you want to try it. Not many people want to jump right in to eat something like raw fish, or the internal organs of a sheep, or snails, etc. Nor is anyone going to want to dig into a steak dinner that is served on a dirty trash can lid. These are some of the images coming to mind when Razzie voters see another Sandler movie is being released. We know exactly what we're getting from him, and 90% of the time, it's something we don't like.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 2:58pm
I think the biggest problem with Hollywood these days is the tendency to constantly aim low. People have been predicting the demise of movie theaters since the advent of television and it hasn't happened yet. I doubt that it is imminent. I also don't necessarily think CGI is really a villian. In fact, I think that it has the potential to take us to astonishing places if top notch effects were ever married to a compelling script. The problem as I see it is that Hollywood keeps approving scripts like they intend to play the movies at the drive-in theater across the street from the trailer park.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 3:15pm
I guess I can see what saturnwatcher is saying. Hollywood could make good movies, they just choose not to. I wouldn't say movie theaters will be gone with a year or two, but they are on life support right now. Of course, we have our goverment to thank for the way the country is right now when it comes to money. Meanwhile, Canada is doing just fine, seeing has how their banks don't have their goverment officials in their back pockets.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 4:21pm
I think you got it wrong, BHB. A meal isn't a kind of movie in this metaphor. It is still a movie. 

If you watch a movie you didn't like, there's no reason to watch it again. But you can't stop watching movies that look similar. That would be like not ordering french fries just because you don't like mashed potatoes. They're very much alike, but after you try both, you realize they taste different. And this movie looks exactly like every other Adam Sandler movie, but who says it can't be different...even a little bit? 

The bottom line is that nobody should be so black-and-white when it comes to choosing movies to watch. If we don't keep an open mind, we might skip the one that could be our all-time favorite.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 4:25pm
I don't know that I like the restaurant analogy, because I don't feel you can go to the movies without any sort of plan on what you're going to see. Movies start at different times. People know what they want to see BEFORE they go to the theater, unless it's something you're going to do in the middle of the day, there's a theater nearby, and you're willing to sit through anything at a matinee price. And that's not the average theater going experience. Most people go to a movie in the evening during the weekend.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 6:07pm
Not really Vits. There really are people who want things served certain ways. Some people like sliced tomatoes, but hate sun-dried tomatos. It's the same with food, but is served in very different ways that people can either accept or reject.  

With Adam Sandler, you KNOW what you're getting, because he's been selling the same thing since 1995: stupid, immature humor. That's his bread and butter, and it will never change because that's his winning formula. It's like getting French Fries from McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and Nathan's. Yes, they are all prepared differently, but in the end, they will fill your body with fat, grease, and salt. That's every Sandler movie, sure the plotlines will be different, but in the end, they are all stupid movies, targeted at the lowest expectations.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:11pm

And here is the problem, part 2. This opening weekend for this was a shade over $40 million dollars. In other words, I guess there really is a market for lowbrow crap out there. That probably shouldn't surprise me after we put up with 8 years of George Bush, but it still depresses me. As long as Hollywood can spoonfeed people trash like this and make money on it, there is precious little hope we are ever going to see much quality on the screen.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:39pm
I'm about to scream with fear. And dEd Grimley, you are FAR from the first to suggest the past decade has been the worst for movies. January of 2000 was the month that movies suddenly went bad overnight. 1999 had a long list of the best movies ever made to its credit. 2000 had some of the worst, and it's been this bad since then. I have lists of the best and worst movies of each year. With so little data on 197X movies, I couldn't compile a best of 1970-1979, so I started the Best lists with 1980. The Worst starts with 2000 (Or "Two Triple-O").

-------------

Posted By: -1
Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:06am
Alrighty, I finally made an account. I've lurked and followed this place for at least a year, and I agree with 98% of what gets torn a new one. Including this.

But there is one statement that bothered me: Adam Sandler can't act.

This is totally false. Adam Sandler totally can act, he just stars in a plethora of bad movies. He gave some fantastic performances in Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and Funny People. I'm no huge Sanlder fan, but I really feel he is a fantastic actor and wish that one of his Dugan projects bombed so he might actually try to make some great movies.

That said, I'm glad to be here and look forward to discussing crap here.

-------------
One push is all you need.....

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 11:24am
Well, I would prefer that Sandler be an actor, than try to act. But that's not what the rest of America wants to see.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 11:55am
Those 3 movies (Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me and Funny People) were Sandler's attempts to do drama, and he acted well in them. But he was already typecast,so those movies were failures. The same hapenned to Jim Carrey. Sandler should've done variations of comedy and drama when he started. By the way, in some of his comedies, Sandler has dramatic moments. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:14pm
My point exactly. Sandler has trapped himself as the immature comedy guy, so that's all he will get to do for the rest of his career. Great for his bank account, but not great for anyone who loves good movies.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 3:17pm
I'm not sure that I accept the truth of the statement, "Adam Sandler totally can act." But just for the sake of discussion, let's assume it is true. What is the greater artistic sin; to cast a guy with no talent who is going to drag down your movie, or to cast a guy who does have talent, but will openly choose not to use it, and still drag down your movie? I guess you end up with a bad movie either way, but I suspect that at this point in his career, Sandler has more than enough clout to pick his projects. Particularly since he runs his own production company. Approached from that perspective, I'd say Sandler absolutely deserves all the arrows we shoot at him.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:46pm
Yeah -- since he has complete control over his own movies, Sandler can play it safe all he wants, so why should he bother trying?

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2010 at 10:12pm
Ya know what? Sandler's most memorable movies are Billy Madison, and Happy Gilmore. Trying to act? No. He reinvented stupid comedy. Then he started trying to get serious about everything. And it all went downhill. Even as his movies have made more (and then less) money, nothing has ever had the impact of those first couple of movies. Those are the movies that a generation can go back and quote for the rest of their lives.
Now, they weren't "good" movies... plenty of plot, character, etc. to infinity complaints... but those movies are why we know who Adam Sandler is. If he'd started with... Big Daddy and Little Nicky and all of that crap, he'd have never broken out.

-------------
-Iron helps us play-

Posted By: -1
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 1:34am
Fair enough. But given that he owns the studio, and he almost exclusively works with his friends in his comedies, he is just having fun. That doesn't pardon him for making bad movies, but it isn't as bad as giving up integrity for a paycheck.

I'll admit that Bedtime Stories was a shameless cash grab though.

-------------
One push is all you need.....

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:51am
Now that you mention it, I think I'd rather Sandler continued making movies than Kristen Stewart. Most people believe she doesn't like doing "acting." At least Sandler has fun doing it! 

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 11:01am
Yeah, that's probably why Sandler's company is called "Happy Madison". There are many days when I wish he did start his career with "Big Daddy" and "Little Nicky", then his career might have gone the way of Pauly Shore's ... considering they are of equal talent: none!    

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Ya know what? Sandler's most memorable movies are Billy Madison, and Happy Gilmore. Trying to act? No. He reinvented stupid comedy. Then he started trying to get serious about everything. And it all went downhill. Even as his movies have made more (and then less) money, nothing has ever had the impact of those first couple of movies. Those are the movies that a generation can go back and quote for the rest of their lives. 
Now, they weren't "good" movies... plenty of plot, character, etc. to infinity complaints... but those movies are why we know who Adam Sandler is. If he'd started with... Big Daddy and Little Nicky and all of that crap, he'd have never broken out.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 3:39pm
AH CRAP! You had to go and drop Pauley Shore's name didn't you? Now Sandler is going to be seeking him out to star in the next Happy Madison Production!

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 5:15pm
And of course, since you HAD to post that idea, now it WILL happen!  

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 2:51pm
The concensus has been made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2FJRTG22A

-------------

Posted By: petcart
Date Posted: August 01 2010 at 9:20am
This movie is sooo good. I watched it with my girlfriend, and we were laughing so much.
Super! I can suggest it to everyone who like comedies ;)

Date Posted: August 01 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by petcart

This movie is sooo good. I watched it with my girlfriend, and we were laughing so much.
Super! I can suggest it to everyone who like comedies ;)
To each his own, I suppose. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Except in MWG's case, in which all trash is treasure.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2010 at 10:05pm

Little Nicky, Chuck & Larry, and You Don't Mess With the Zohan were one thing, but please, not Grown-Ups!

Happy Gilmore may not have been a bad movie, but now too many of those who liked it think Sandler's infallible.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

Little Nicky, Chuck & Larry, and You Don't Mess With the Zohan were one thing, but please, not Grown-Ups!
Happy Gilmore may not have been a bad movie, but now too many of those who liked it think Sandler's infallible.
Wait, are you defending "Grown-Ups"? Because this is a tough crowd to sell that idea to ... without invading our dreams and planted the idea there.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 9:37pm
This movie was stupid...but that was to be expected. The movie had a good idea with the whole family get together thing.

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 9:03am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

This movie was stupid...but that was to be expected. The movie had a good idea with the whole family get together thing.
I hope you don't mean little children, not with Sandler and company's blue humor.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 1:01pm

No, I'm not defending Grown-Ups. Perhaps I should've put it into context for you more clearly; See, here's the problem: Little Nicky, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, and You Don't Mess With the Zohan were all on my Worst-of lists for their respective years. It turns out I'm the ONE person in my high school or college who doesn't like those three movies. Everyone just keeps praising it whenever I show them my Worst-of lists. It turns out that they'll just eat up anything if it stars Adam Sandler. Then comes Grown-Ups, which I MUST expect will get nominated for Worst Picture. It was bad enough my colleagues raved about Zohan, Chuck & Larry, and Nicky, but if they show the same love for Grown-Ups, I'm going to question their integrity. I cannot just stand by and let them eat this one up; I must think of a way to treat the problem!

And I believe moviewizguy thought the family gathering related plot was the only good thing about this film.

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 2:36pm

I hope you don't mean little children, not with Sandler and company's blue humor.
I know you guys don't like when I mention awards like the Kids's Choice Awards because they lack credibility.But I should point out Adam Sandler has won "Favorite Actor" and "Favorite Movie" in the past,even if they were PG-13.Kids like him.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 2:55pm

I know you guys don't like when I mention awards like the Kids's Choice Awards because they lack credibility.But I should point out Adam Sandler has won "Favorite Actor" and "Favorite Movie" in the past,even if they were PG-13.Kids like him.
Of course kids love him, they are the only people who find him funny. Them, or anyone with an IQ the same as their show size.

-------------

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 12:38am
I have the same problem GTAHater, my cousin is 18 and he praises anything that the Razzies have nominated in the past (with the exception of Drag Me to Hell), Adam Sandler's 'The Waterboy' is one of them, and bashes anything classic or good (like Psycho (1960) for example). Then again, to quote BHB, 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'.

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 7:10am
'with the exception of Drag Me to Hell'

By this I mean, it's only thing he's praised that isn't Razzie material

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

I have the same problem GTAHater, my cousin is 18 and he praises anything that the Razzies have nominated in the past, Adam Sandler's 'The Waterboy' is one of them, and bashes anything classic or good (like Psycho (1960) for example).
Sounds like your cousin and MWG would get along perfectly!

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2010 at 11:22am
You've got a point there

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 3:17pm
I knew this would get nominated for the People's Choice Awards for "Comedy Movie" and "Comedic Star"(Sandler),but I don't know the odds it has.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:21pm
What little? How can they call themselves People's Choice? We don't like movies about p****** and passing gas! Where's the appeal in Adam Sandler?!

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:15pm
He's the posterboy for movie-goers who just want to turn off their brains and laugh at stupid s*** that even a two year old could write at 2 in the morning.  

Where's the appeal in Adam Sandler?!

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2010 at 10:45pm
Examples of the kind of people you referred to (movie-goers who just want to turn off their brains and laugh at stupid s***) include: 

My cousin -- seriously he's 18 and should be more open to classics (however unlikely that is). Thankfully I have another cousin who's his opposite. 

Young kids 

Twihards and gore porn-holics 

This begs the question... HAVE MOVIEGOERS REALLY SUNK THIS LOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  

Where's the appeal in Adam Sandler?!
He's the posterboy for movie goers who just want to turn off their brains and laugh at stupid s*** that even a two year old could write at 2 in the morning.

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2010 at 8:30am
In this day and age of remakes/reboots/sequels and other half-assed jobs Hollywood is making, if an okay/kinda good/or so-so movie comes along, people act like it's the second coming of "Gone With The Wind". Others just want to be entertained, and the people you listed are the ones that are easily entertained by Sandler and his stupidity.  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

Examples of the kind of people you referred to (movie-goers who just want to turn off their brains and laugh at stupid s***) include: 

My cousin -- seriously he's 18 and should be more open to classics (however unlikely that is). Thankfully I have another cousin who's his opposite. 

Young kids 

Twihards and gore porn-holics 

This begs the question... HAVE MOVIEGOERS REALLY SUNK THIS LOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2010 at 10:30am
Yeah, coz unlike us they don't seem to notice the fact that Adam Sandler in his 'Forrest Gump only more Retarded' mode (where's Paul Thomas Anderson when you need him) is so bad it makes any Disney Channel comedy actor look like one of our British stand-up comics (we have a long list of these guys).

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2010 at 12:00pm
1)FORREST GUMP was "slow," not retarded...  

2)The male cast of "SONNY" WITH A CHANCE is funnier than Russell Brand. Oh,snap!

-------------

Posted By: Odyssey
Date Posted: December 05 2010 at 2:43pm
GROWN UPS is, hands down, the worst movie I've seen this year.

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2010 at 3:00pm
I would agree, but there are a couple of highly likely Razzie nominees that I haven't seen yet, so I am reserving final judgment...  

Originally posted by Odyssey

GROWN UPS is, hands down, the worst movie I've seen this year.

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2010 at 8:50am
Yeah, but like Miguel and I said, many of the main contenders are already on DVD for our viewing "displeasure."  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window