Print Page | Close Window

Early Discussion of BURLESQUE...

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on UP-COMING FILMS & PROJECTS
Forum Name: BURLESQUE
Forum Discription: It's CHICAGO Meets CABARET...by Way of SHOWGIRLS!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4514
Printed Date: October 20 2014 at 1:14am

Topic: Early Discussion of BURLESQUE...
Posted By: nyfilmfest
Subject: Early Discussion of BURLESQUE...
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 7:00am
This is probably a bit too self-aware in its campiness to be the worst, but surely we can count on a nomination, right?!?!

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/burlesque/trailer - http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/burlesque/trailer

Clap

Cher, you are a star! You will never look a day over 100!

Star  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Something told me when I saw a "sneak peek" of this on E.T. a few months back that it certainly had "potential" as one of ours. Now that I've seen the trailer, in which Cher looks like she belongs in the current Mummies of the World exhibit here in LA, I am looking forward to seeing it -- For all the WRONG reasons!  

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!!  

Replies:
Posted By: rburton
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 7:31am
You gotta be kidding me.  I was just watching that trailer and dying!

-------------
For Your Consideration

Dev Patel for WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR in The Last Fartbender

Posted By: nyfilmfest
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 7:38am

Clap

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 11:27am
It's so funny watching Hollywood try to cash in with Oscar bait by copying the whole "Chicago" musical fad.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Julianstark
Date Posted: August 05 2010 at 11:49am
Since the trailer for Burlesque went up, I've been wondering about it. As I previously expected, it will either be amazing...or amazingly awful. I'm leaning towards the latter, even though I'm hoping for the best, since there hasn't been a truly good musical in several years.

In any case, I'll be 100% willing to give it "Razzie love" if it deserves to be Razz'd

-------------
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! http://julianstark-moviesandotherthings.blogspot.com - Movies and Other Things

Date Posted: August 06 2010 at 11:05am

"You actually have doubts?"

-------------
For Your Consideration

Date Posted: August 06 2010 at 11:40am
When did Stanley Tucci become THEE go-to guy for a gay male lead? He's better than this!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: August 06 2010 at 12:38pm

I've seen women in their 20's and 30's from southwest Asia who look like the woman in that picture (Is that Cher?). Stanley Tucci, on the other hand, was born pretty close to the beginning of 1961, but I thought he was just a few days older than HeadRAZZBerry.

Perhaps this movie has no reasonable odds of critical success after all.

And Burn, I hate to say it, but I only liked 5 of Tucci's roles: Prizzi's Honor, The Pelican Brief, Road to Perdition, The Devil Wears Prada, and Julie & Julia.

-------------

Date Posted: August 06 2010 at 4:41pm
Yes, that is Cher, who is not in her 20s or 30s, nor is she from southwest Asia. Due to good genes and healthy lifestyles, Asian women just age very well. Cher has an easiler method: nip and tuck. 

Tucci was a well-known character actor for most of the 90s,but  only recently has he become more "famous".

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2010 at 3:04pm
Sometimes I think I'm an atheist.  But something as beautiful and brilliant as this proves to me that there is a God and that he really, really loves camp.   

-------------
For Your Consideration

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: August 30 2010 at 3:49pm
It is nice that Cher took time off from her farewell tour that is now in it's 6th year (or so) to do this movie.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 11:37am
That poster makes the movie look less like a movie, and more like a promo about Cher passing the torch to Christina as the new ... Cher.

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2010 at 7:15pm
I dunno.  Cher is constantly reinventing herself, having hit singles in practically every decade she was working,and winning an Oscar along the way...  

Christina has had two albums that were back-to-back disappointments, with the current one failing to sell or have even one hit single.  Now she's appearing in Burlesque (compared to Cher who at this stage in her career was picking up Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for some awesome flicks like Silkwood, Mask, and Moonstruck). 

Forgive me for leaping to Cher's defense, but Christina is no Cher!  

-------------
For Your Consideration

Date Posted: September 08 2010 at 5:16pm
Well, I'm just saying the poster looks like it's a passing of the torch. Now, in truth, Cher has been in the entertainment business for five decades. Christina has been famous for a little over one decade. So yeah, Christina has a long way to go before she's in Cher's league.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2010 at 4:33pm
Anybody catch Cher trying to "turn back time" at the VMAs last night?  She sure seems to want the world to know Burlesque is destined for Razzie glory.

-------------
For Your Consideration

Date Posted: September 13 2010 at 8:00pm
WOW! But then again, it was MTV, so no one in that age generation (14-19?) would remember that song. Hence, she thought she could get away with it. Plus, everyone was too busy trying to figure out what the f*** Lady Gaga would wear next...  

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2010 at 11:53am
Razzie-rific definition:

[TUBE]W1u6NQK_-xI[/TUBE]

-------------
For Your Consideration

Date Posted: September 30 2010 at 2:15pm
Too late, rburton. YouTube taps out to copyright laws once again, even they could easily afford a small army of lawyers to defend themselves with.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: October 01 2010 at 6:29am
Here's a http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70307 - LINK for new trailer on Burlesque --  I'm surprised you guys are hating on it so much. It looks entertaining as hell, and it seems to have a sense of humor! 

-------------

Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Here's a http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70307 - LINK for new trailer on Burlesque --  I'm surprised you guys are hating on it so much. It looks entertaining as hell, and it seems to have a sense of humor! 

I, for one, am not hating one bit!  I'm sure it will be delightfully dreadful in the tradition of Showgirls and Glitter.  But as Glitter proved, all that glitters is not gold.

-------------
For Your Consideration

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:11pm

rburton! The chance of Burlesque being in the bottom 3 films for this year is approximately 3,720 to 1!

Something tells me this film might receive about 2 or 3 RAZZIE nominations for the year, but I doubt it'll go beyond that.

Date Posted: October 04 2010 at 7:46pm
GTAHater767 - Burlesque accepts your challenge.  If Showgirls + Glitter can't get a boatload of Razzie nominations, I don't know what can! (Except M. Night Shyamalan. That can.) 

-------------
For Your Consideration

Posted By: JR1
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 7:59am
I'd be surprised if this movie does well or gets decent reviews. it just screams Razzie (even though Cher is in it).

I'd imagine that even the legions of gay fans who will see the movie won't make it a hit.

Posted By: Anuss
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 5:58pm
Once again... I'm pretty sure it won't be a flop.  

Look at the first reviews:  

http://itsjustmovies.com/12699 - http://itsjustmovies.com/12699
http://www.examiner.com/movie-in-boston/burlesque-cher-and-christina-aguilera-shine - http://www.examiner.com/movie-in-boston/burlesque-cher-and-christina-aguilera-shine

Christina's acting is praised ;) 

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 8:26pm
Yeah, it's going to be hard for "Burlesque" to top "Airbender,"  a movie that has only 7% positive reviews at RT!

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 2:14pm
The Examiner review is hardly a notable outlet. Let's wait for the reviews from the major outlets- and, of course, its percentage of favorable ratings at Rotten Tomatoes. Unsurprisingly, there's no mention of the movie in any of the major categories for Entertainment Weekly's Oscar predictions.

I read that box office trackers are predicting a five-day take of $20 million. Which, I guess, would be middling. it'scertaionly not going to be in contention for No. 1, with Harry Potter opening five days prior, and Disney's Tangled and other movies in the mix.

Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 2:19pm
I predict "Harry Potter" will destory everything until "Tron: 28 Years Later" comes out.

-------------

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 9:09am
Ronni Chasen, publicist for Diane Warren who wrote the ballad "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" for Burlesque, was gunned down after leaving an party after the premiere of Burlesque.  Chasen apparently did PR for Driving Miss Daisy and On Golden Pond, and has lately represented artists who composed music for films.  She was reputed for being able to create Oscar buzz for her clients.  Reports say she was shot five times when her Mercedes Benz was shot at, and her car crashed into a light pole at Sunset and Whittier.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/11/16/publicist.killed/index.html?hpt=T2 - Here is the CNN article .

Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 12:55pm
Damn! Talk about bad luck!  

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 4:49pm
That's not funny,Burn.

R.I.P.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:06pm
It wasn't meant to be funny.

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2010 at 5:41pm
The Hollywood Reporter and Variety reviews are out- HR gave it a great review, and Variety said the musical numbers are enjoyable, but once there's no music, it gets icky (I'm paraphrasing).

Print Page | Close Window