Print Page | Close Window

Did Disney's HUNCHBACK deserve a screenplay nom?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: General MOVIE & DVD Discussions
Forum Name: Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
Forum Discription: Even we don't ALWAZE get it right. If you don't agree with any of our many years of choices, here's your chance to argue your case...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4515
Printed Date: April 19 2014 at 1:06pm

Topic: Did Disney's HUNCHBACK deserve a screenplay nom?
Posted By: Mraspiringactor
Subject: Did Disney's HUNCHBACK deserve a screenplay nom?
Date Posted: August 09 2010 at 8:19pm
Now granted it wasn't a perfect script:
-The molten lava at the end was obviously put in for dramatic effect
-The gargoyles weren't really funny and some of their comments were random
-A Guy Like You didn't really flow with everything else

That's about all I remember. However even though it wasn't a perfect script did it really deserve a Razzie nom? If you think so could you please explain why without saying "it's not true to the book"? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: No, I can't answer you without saying "It's not true to the book." Like Disney's hideous 1951 "re-imagining" of ALICE IN WONDERLAND, HUNCHBACK took a classic novel and turned it into all but unrecognizable treacle, something the half dozen or so previous screen adaptations of NOTRE DAME (including the 1925 Lon Chaney silent classic and the 1939 Charles Laughton version) did not find it necessary to do. As someone who respects the intentions of original authors (especially authors of classic works of literature) I find it indefensible when modern Hollywood not only bastardizes the tone and intend of a famous novel, but then has the added gall to not even credit the original author (in this case, Victor Hugo) anywhere in the film's advertising or screen credits. To me, that is the berry definition of "adding insult to injury."  

-------------
Kevin Higgins.

Replies:
Posted By: ramonesun
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 12:50pm
I agree. I thought the screenplay was tough and dark compared to the dribble and drek of the happy go lucky disney films of later years. Lessons on racial and religious intolerance, and even implied rape are all infused into a childrens animated flick quite well.

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 1:32pm
It helps if we knew what movie you're talking about. "THOND" doesn't mean much to anyone here.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Mraspiringactor
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 2:38pm
The Hunchback of Notre Dame?

-------------
Kevin Higgins.

Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 3:07pm
yup, the hunchback of notre dame

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:10pm
Oh, well, perhaps because it had adult themes in it, so I guess it was being awarded for being bold for a Disney movie. "The Incredibles" deserved their screenwriting nod for being a fun and well-written animated action movie.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 7:39pm
"The Incredibles" was a really dark movie. I was shocked when I first saw it because I thought it would be light and funny, but there's a part in the film that was depressing to watch.

Date Posted: August 10 2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

"The Incredibles" was a really dark movie. I was shocked when I first saw it because I thought it would be light and funny, but there's a part in the film that was depressing to watch.
Dark? There's barely anything dark about except characters have to deal with the very real reality of death. You just think it's dark when compared to the rainbows and everyone's happy fluff that Disney usually puts out. "Incredibles" was no darker than any PG movie made before it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 11 2010 at 11:46am
I find the film was dark by childrens standards. You had death through plane engine chopping u up, then there was the extermination of hundreds of heros, the reality of death, coming to terms with failure and old age, and the responsiblilties of adulthood. Those don't seem like the themes and events of childrens films. So bravo disney, you can give adults a thrill ride as well!

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 11 2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by ramonesun

I find the film was dark by childrens standards. You had death through plane engine chopping u up, then there was the extermination of hundreds of heros, the reality of death, coming to terms with failure and old age, and the responsiblilties of adulthood. Those don't seem like the themes and events of childrens films. So bravo disney, you can give adults a thrill ride as well!
Hey, they may seem like grim realities, but they are realities none the less. And while some may consider them "dark themes", no one really died on-screen. And rule of thumb in cartoons, so long as they don't die on-screen, it's safe for kids. At the most, kids under 6 shouldn't see it, that simple.

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: August 11 2010 at 7:59pm
By those standards, Bambi is the darkest movie ever made. I think Walt Disney understood that we don't need to completely shelter children from some of the more difficult realities of life.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: August 11 2010 at 9:31pm
Exactly. The scene where the villain decided to kill the kids was shocking as well.  

Originally posted by ramonesun

-------------

Date Posted: August 11 2010 at 10:34pm
So ur saying if the realities are grim and true, its ok to show to kids? I doubt it. Would you want your kids knowing about death and betrayl and the difficulties of ageing and family at certain young ages? I wouldn't. I'd still say six is a pretty good age to start tho, so agree with you there.

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 12 2010 at 8:57pm
Sorry fellas, but I believe that children should be made aware of death, rather than it be kept a mystery that they don't understand. I'm not saying it's a concept that should be taught to them as soon as they are able to speak, but it's something that they should know about. And like I said, the ripe age to do so would be around 6 years. Personally, I don't find it all that shocking for a villain in a kids' movie to display a disregard for human life, as this is a common staple of Hollywood bad guys and an extreme that certain people would be willing to take in order to achieve his/her goals based on his/her outlook on life and society.

-------------

Date Posted: August 12 2010 at 9:45pm
But the mass extermination of superheros? That seems a little dark to me. I mean srsly...a superhero holocaust! Oh well, six seems a pretty good age to strt i guess.

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 13 2010 at 6:24pm
Children should be frightened by the off-screen deaths of superheroes with whom we never really make a connection? And even with the capes-are-bad parody, the heroes in that case all died comedic deaths, hardly all that dark.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2010 at 8:15pm
Texas Chainsaw Massacre features deaths and violent acts shown off screen, but I still find it horrific anyway. Thogh most kids are too dumb to even follow basic plots anyways... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Surely you're not suggesting that TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is something that, in any conceivable way, should be shown to children???????????  

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 14 2010 at 11:06am
Yeah, but "TCM" is a horror movie in every way of being dark and scary from start to finish. Off-screen deaths aside, "Incredibles" is still a very comical and lighthearted movie.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:28pm
Agreed. But as for the hunchback of notre dame, that film was about relegious intolerance, racisim, disfigurement and even featured a  song about rape, hell, and sin (Hellfire is the title, the scene with it can be found on youtube, and the animation is brilliant). It seems very complex and for adults, though the film was marketed towards children.

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 14 2010 at 6:24pm
Oh yeah. Of the two ("Hunchback" and "Incredibles") "Hunchback" is in no way for childern!

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2010 at 8:36am

To HeadRazz dude: No. Im just saying deaths off screen arent any less horrific than deaths on screen. It's what's implied and not shown than can be truley disturbing. But yeah, Hunchback aint really for kids.

-------------
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE

Date Posted: August 16 2010 at 12:29pm

It's not so much what's implied, it's how it's presented. What's presented in "TCM" shouldn't be witnessed by children.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window