Print Page | Close Window

A Real Head-Turner?!?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES
Forum Name: LEGEND of The GUARDIANS: The OWLS of GA' HOOLE
Forum Discription: Exactly "HOO!" Do They Think Will Wanna See This?!?!?
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4574
Printed Date: September 20 2014 at 5:15pm

Topic: A Real Head-Turner?!?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: A Real Head-Turner?!?!?!?
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 2:01pm
SOMEONE RECENTLY SUGGESTED WE CONSIDER a SPECIAL RAZZIE® CATEGORY to DIS-HONOR WORST ANIMATED FEATURE, to WHICH WE SAID THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH BAD ANIMATED MOVIES to JUSTIFY IT...

THAT WAS ADMITTEDLY BEFORE WE STARTED SEEING ADs for http://www.razzies.com/forum/legend-of-the-guardian-the-owls-of-ga-hoole_forum458.html -
OWLS...in ARMOR?

OWLS...as HEROES??  

OWLS...?!?!? 

NOW THAT WE'VE STOPPED LAUGHING, MAY WE ADD THAT OUR BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT with THIS FILM IS THAT the TREACLY THEME SONG (WHICH SOUNDS LIKE a KNOCK-OFF of the INCESSANT/INSISTANT THEME SONG from TITANIC) ISN'T PERFORMED by...HOOTY and the BLOWFISH! 

OKAY, NOW IT's YOUR TURN to COME UP with HOOTINGLY AWFUL PUNS and HOAKY OWL JOKES...

"HOO!" WANTz 2 GO FIRST???  

BONUS LINK: HERE's http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0922-ct-owls-20100922,0,6121046.story - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0811583/ - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/ - , BUT IS BEING MARKETED to FAMILIES w/KIDS UNDER 12)...

IS IT JUST US, OR DOES THIS LOOK LIKE an OWL 
TRYING TO PASS ITSELF OFF AS a TRANSFORMER??  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 2:11pm
Too many mistakes. For a movie about owls, the creators of Ga'Hoole were naught but fools. If the storyline is as depressing as you say... hang on! I used to think plenty of animated movies had storylines as dark as this one, but perhaps they rarely got this dark. If the music sounds anyhow like My Heart Will Go On, it won't be what we're used to in a work of fiction. And the owl kind of does look like it's trying to have the edge of a Transformer, but the armor looks like it's made of stone. Hedwig, Pigwidgeon, and perhaps even Errol (from the Harry Potter series) were much better than this because all they did was run letters for the wizarding postal service, not try to fight battle!

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:16pm
I think a better title for this movie would be "Teenage Mutant Knight Owls"!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:36pm
Occasionally I have to stand up on the other side. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. The trailers I have seen look pretty magnificent. It might end up being a  disappointment, and disappointing me can be very hazardous to a film's health. (District 9, anyone?) I'll report back sometime this weekend.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:09pm
Well then, good luck to you, saturnwatcher. Hopefully, it won't be "District 9" all over again for ya.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:36pm
"Knight Owls".  Love it!  LOL

Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 8:07pm
Thank you, thank you. Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 9:14pm
I think the trailer looks excellent. Sure, when you first see it and see animated owls, you go WTF. But after a couple of viewings, to me it looks epic. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 9:19pm
"It's like Narnia, if all the characters were replaced with owls!" 

This is one pitch that I just don't find appealing, and I doubt the average movie-goer will be hooked by it either...  

-------------

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: September 21 2010 at 11:53pm
'IS IT JUST US, OR DOES THIS LOOK LIKE an OWL 
TRYING TO PASS ITSELF OFF AS a TRANSFORMER??'

No I think it got lost on its way to Middle Earth, which is basically what this movie might be:

A Feathered version of 'Lord of the Rings' 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Feathered...or feather-brained?!?  

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:22am
This film is based on the first three books of Kathryn Lasky's book series, "Guardians of Ga'Hoole".  When I first saw the trailer, there was no indication that this film was a Razzie prospect.  The only two animated films this year that have said 'Razzie prospect' were "Alpha and Omega" and "Tangled." The animated effects in this should make up for any flaws it might have.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:41am
I don't think Tangled will come even close to being in the Razzie category.  The last really bad Disney animated movie was Home on the Range, and that didn't even come close.

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 7:35am
Oh, and one more thing.  This film's competing against "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," so aside from younger viewers and families, I doubt that anyone will give a hoot to see this.

In case you're wondering why I have a bad impression of "Tangled", I saw the trailer and thought it was too absurd for my interest.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I am not totally convinced that 2010 movie audience will want to spend time and money to see a story about Wall Street sharks -- The only group of people even less respected right now than members of Congress. Guess we'll know by Sunday...

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 12:16pm
My guess: "The Town" stays #1 for a second week, but just barely.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: WALL STREET, TOO certainly has the potential to tank, and I actually expect, given that the L.A. Times article mentioned above ( http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0922-ct-owls-20100922,0,6121046.story -

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 3:58pm
Lately, most adaptations of fantasy books haven't been well received. Actually, any fantasy movie. Like THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES and THE GOLDEN COMPASS(both with Freddie Highmore). And who can forget remember BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA, ERAGON and THE WATER HORSE?  

The only reason CHRONICLES OF NARNIA did so well was because the books were hugely popular among kids before they filmed them. 

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

IS IT JUST US, OR DOES THIS LOOK LIKE an OWL 
TRYING TO PASS ITSELF OFF AS a TRANSFORMER??

1)What's wrong with MY HEART WILL GO ON? 

2)He does look like a Transformer.If this movie was about owls that turn into robots, it would be much more interesting. 

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

In case you're wondering why I have a bad impression of "Tangled", I saw the trailer and thought it was too absurd for my interest.  

Really? I laughed at the trailer. It struck me as the next SHREK (based on the style of its humor). 

Actually, the reason people may not go see WALL $TREET 2 would be because economics is so boring to talk about. Would anyone want to watch a movie about that? 

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:43pm
Yeah, I'm guessing nothing else will make $20+ million this weekend... 

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

TOWN is likely to end up with something in the $15-16 million range, for a likely 2nd or 3rd place finish...

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 7:34pm
Moviewizeguy says this is gonna be good? Okay...now I'm a little worried LOL

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 8:49pm
I'm REALLY worried because at least 2 of us people anticipate it! Another day and another night until it opens, and I still don't think any better of it than I thought before.

Date Posted: September 22 2010 at 10:03pm
Saturnwatcher, you should be honored to share the same feelings as I do. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 1:02am

2)He does look like a Transformer. And if this movie was about owls that turn into robots, it would be much more interesting. 

To that, I agree! 

It seems the critics are evenly split on this movie, despite how ridiculous it looks in the trailers.

I mean, Legend of the Guardians looks owl-ful. . . . Dead

BTW, Bridge to Terabithia was a good movie.

-------------

Posted By: CobraSwamp
Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 3:07am
Well, at the Cinema in Australia, when I watched Toy Story 3, I saw the Trailer for Guardians. (This Movie.) Apparntly, it said that the movie was made by THE CREATORS of Happy Feet! I still wasn't really instrested, though!  

-------------
YES, I'm a Cobra, and YES, I take a BITE outta movies!

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 6:00pm
This movie looks like it will be so-so/mediocre.  Aside from an animation category, I don't think this is Razzie material.

On the other hand, you need to look at the wasted talent that is You Again.

BTW, wasn't this year's special category going to be Lamest Excuse for a Rom-Com?

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 6:15pm
B-b-b-but Betty White!!!! "I have Facebook....and the Twitter." <3 Betty White.  

Originally posted by Berrynoia

On the other hand, you need to look at the wasted talent that is You Again.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 7:39pm
To moviewizguy: Look at you groveling, desperate little weakling! You begging for mercy is a most splendid sight!

On topic: The reviews are in the 50s. That's mediocre/average. Perhaps HeadRAZZBerry should look retrospectively and add some wide-release movies that got much worse reviews.

Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 7:58pm
Hey, it's MWG, he's every marketing team's wet dream come true ... a guy who is easily sold on ANY concept they throw out there, no matter how dumb it might be!  

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 9:34pm
Me, begging for mercy? I thought I was just showing my love for Betty White...  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

To moviewizguy: Look at you groveling, desperate little weakling! You begging for mercy is a most splendid sight!

-------------

Posted By: CobraSwamp
Date Posted: September 23 2010 at 11:06pm
To BHB: What does "Wet Dream" mean? I've only seen the expression once or twice...  

On Topic: 2010 is a 3-D Palozza, and only few are good 3-D movies. (Trust me, I was dragged to Clash Of The Titans, thinking it was just as good as How To Train Your Dragon! No, I didn't want to WATCH Titans, the tickets for Dragon was all sold out!

-------------
YES, I'm a Cobra, and YES, I take a BITE outta movies!

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 3:35am
Im actually surprised that there is quiet a bit of disscusion on this considering *spoiler* theres no chance in hell this will be even close to razzie material! unless of course it goes under 20% on RT and/or MC. Its time to move on and get on the freight train Head Razz, You Again is at 17%, we should be all over that deriative P.O.S. ( i love Betty White too, but it still doesn't change the fact that the movie is sh*t!) Look we all complain about hollywoods unoriginality, and now we have a movie that at least tries a little harder than most to do something different, and we give it a forum while we are so far letting another unoriginal steaming pile of sh*t go by untouched, i cant be the only one that thinks that this is just completly counterproductive...    

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As of early Friday morning (its opening day) its R.T. numbers had dropped to 15% Approval, so here's  http://www.razzies.com/forum/you-again_forum459.html -  to the just-added Bonus Worst of the Weak Forum on  http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic4578_post34780.html#34780 - ...

-------------
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin

Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 6:28am
It would be awkward to explain "Wet Dream," since it has to do with something sexual....so, Google it.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 7:15am
Instead of "Wet Dream," try looking up "nocturnal emission" on Wikipedia.  And BHB is right; Google is your friend.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 12:55pm
They're still deciding,but it will most likely be...

Originally posted by Berrynoia

.BTW, wasn't this year's special category going to be Lamest Excuse for a Rom-Com?

But Betty recently said of Twitter: "It's a huge waste of time".

Originally posted by moviewizguy

B-b-b-but Betty White!!!! "I have Facebook....and the Twitter." <3 Betty White.

HeadRAZZ adds movies before they're released, based on early reviews and word-of-mouth...

Perhaps HeadRAZZBerry should look retrospectively and add some wide-release movies that got much worse reviews.

He adds movies before they're released based on early reviews and word of mouth.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2010 at 9:23pm
Okay, my verdict...definitely not one of ours. It isn't the strongest story I've ever seen, but a movie that didn't have a much stronger story and relied solely on visual appeal got nominated for Best Picture last year. There were moments in this movie that were absolutely stunning visually, and the 3D was quite good. I would second the recommendations that this movie isn't for young children, but it isn't nearly as dark as I was being led to believe. In fact, I think this movie could find a pretty strong cult audience. I'm not going to give it a jumping up and down "go see it!!" type of recommendation, but if you don't have anything better to do this weekend, and let's face it, there aren't a lot of good movies out there, it is actually worth 90 minutes of your life. Besides, it opens with a new Road Runner cartoon!

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 9:06am
My thoughts: the movie will disappear without a trace. Not one of ours. But not anything for the Oscars either, nor will it last the test of time.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 1:07pm
Remember how I said the selection for 2010's RAZZIES was narrower than 2009's? I said that because too many of the movies tagged on these forums for 2010 get middle-of-the-road reviews instead of widely panned.

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 2:39pm
HeadRAZZ,seriously,quit editing my posts!When I said Betty White thought Facebook(not Twitter)was a waste of time,I wasn't contradicting Moviewizguy.It was a joke she said in SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.By changing my words you change the context of what I'm trying to say.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2010 at 2:54pm
Yeah, if you want to change some spelling mistakes, that's fine, but please don't re-word what we say! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As I have already posted repeatedly elsewhere on this Forum, my intent is never to alter what Forum Members have posted, but rather to "clean up" (grammar, spelling and cetera) and/or "clarify" what I think they mean. This is a particular issue with posts by Vits since, as he himself admitted when he first signed on here, his command of English is limited. 

I assume anyone who complains about my supposed "re-writes" is aware that all they need do if they feel I have messed with their message, is to restore their original text by using the "Edit Post" button that appears as a drop-down when your cursor is placed on the Post Options button above and you "left click" your mouse...  

-------------

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 9:22am
OK, This is old, but I don't get this. This went up forRazzie consideration, but not Alpha & Omega? Last time I checked, That movie has a 15% on RT while this one has 49% That makes no since that a lower-rated movie didn't make it.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: ALPHA & OMEGA happened to open the same weekend as http://www.razzies.com/forum/devil_forum457.html - , which was a much more obvious choice for Worst of the Weak. Factor in that almost no one saw A&O (let alone even remembers the film less than 90 days later) and that should explain your conundrum. The one possible nomination for which OMEGA might qualify for RAZZIE consideration is this year's likely special category, Worst Eye-Gouging Use of 3-D, since many of the theatres that booked this film showed it in that format. But since it would be up against such heavy-hitting 3-D dogs as http://www.razzies.com/forum/saw-3d_forum465.html - , http://www.razzies.com/forum/clash-of-the-titans-in-fake-3d_forum425.html - , http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-last-airbender_forum446.html - and http://www.razzies.com/forum/current-releases-jackass-3d_forum463.html - , I doubt it would even make the final cut for that...  

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 11:08am
Hey, sometimes, we do guess wrong. But as we say, not all movies up for Razzie consideration actually make it into the Razzie nods. I doubt this will even be listed on the nominating ballot. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:16pm
I know this'll be spared the ballot. But I say it's not too late to correct the mistake of Alpha & Omega. So why don't we just give Alpha & Omega the forum it deserves?

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:10pm

I know this'll be spared the ballot. But I say it's not too late to correct the mistake of Alpha & Omega. So why don't we just give Alpha & Omega the forum it deserves?
Because like with the Oscars, animated movies don't really get any real Razzie attention.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2010 at 7:39am
Actually,this could get an Oscar nomination.Seriously.Aside from TOY STORY 3(we all know it will win)and HOW TOT TRAIN YOU DRAGON,there aren't any other good animated movies.It's SHARK TALE all over again,except this one has mixed reviews and that one bad reviews.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Vits

Actually,this could get an Oscar nomination.Seriously.Aside from TOY STORY 3(we all know it will win)and HOW TOT TRAIN YOU DRAGON,there aren't any other good animated movies.It's SHARK TALE all over again,except this one has mixed reviews and that one bad reviews.
Doubtful. It's a two movie race between "TS3" and "HTTYD", with "TS3" being HEAVILY favored.

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 11:26am
Yeah,that's what I said.But there's has to be at least 3 nominees.

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:31pm

Yeah,that's what I said.But there's has to be at least 3 nominees.
Then they probably choose "Megamind" or some other Dreamworks movie.

-------------

Posted By: T.P.
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 12:58pm
More Like Legend of the Gaurdians: the owl's of who give a sh*t

Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 3:22pm
It has been announced that only 3 movies will be up for the Oscar for "Best Animated Feature".This is among the contenders.

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 8:08pm

It has been announced that only 3 movies will be up for the Oscar for "Best Animated Feature".This is among the contenders.
Yeah, this is not getting a nod.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:36am
[TUBE]nHn7vz_1P7g[/TUBE]
Skip to 04:42.

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: February 24 2012 at 3:54pm
I thought this movie was OK. I liked the animation and the action scenes, but the tone was off. It started out as a film that kids could watch, but it turns into PG-rated 300 with owls in the end.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Print Page | Close Window