Print Page | Close Window

DISCUSSION: WITCH Way Is Up for Cage?!?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: SEASON OF THE WITCH
Forum Discription: Will Nic Cage Finally Get a Well-Deserved RAZZIE® to Display Next to His Long-Ago Oscar®???
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4746
Printed Date: April 25 2014 at 1:06am

Topic: DISCUSSION: WITCH Way Is Up for Cage?!?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: DISCUSSION: WITCH Way Is Up for Cage?!?!?
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 10:56am
LIKE the VILLAGERS GATHERING in  the TOWN SQUARE in an OLD HORROR MOVIE, HERE's WHERE to LIGHT YER TORCHES and SET http://www.razzies.com/forum/season-of-the-witch_forum478.html -  AFIRE... 

ENJOY, and...BURN, BABY, BURN!!

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:05am
You would think that after "Wicker Man" and "Scorcerer's Apprentice", Cage would stay the hell away from anything to do with witchcraft or magic. But hey, when you need all the money you can get because you're in debt for millions of dollars, you can't be picky about what you star in.

PS: Thanks for pointing out that January is the worst month of the year for movies, because a certain someone here is in denial about that, much like he is about everything else about how Hollywood works.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:20am
I find it a great dishonor to share my given name with the director of this film, and I haven't forgotten when he released the #18 Worst Film of 2009, Whiteout. First, a murder in Antarctica, now it's yet another Nicolas Cage puritan vs. pagan flick! If Nic Cage starts yelling, "Change! Spare some change?!" soon, then I wouldn't feel sorry for him; I'd pity him in the worst way possible for repeating the rest of America's mistake of spending beyond their means.

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 1:48pm
OK, here's what I'm going to do. Each time a Razzie considered movie comes up, I'm going to add on to my list of possible contenders. Eventually, I'll make the choices of the top five.

Worst Picture: Season of the Witch
Worst Actor: Nicolas Cage
Worst Supporting Actor: Ron Perlmen, Stephen Campbell Moore, Robert Sheehan, Ulrich Thomsen, Stephen Graham, and Christopher Lee
Worst Supporting Actress: Claire Foy
Worst Screen Couple: Nicolas Cage and either Ron Perlmen or Claire Foy
Worst Dirctor: Dominic Sena
Worst Screenplay: Season of the Witch (Written by Bragi F. Schut)  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZBerry: On a similar note -- We have started compiling our Complete List of 2011 Eligible Releases. Here's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-2011-list-jan-114_topic4752.html -

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 9:25pm
I can name the last time Nicolas Cage got decent reviews: It was for Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans.  The only reason I knew that was because I was watching for that movie to be a bad one because (1) it starred Nicolas Cage and (2) it was a sequel to a movie made umpteen years before.  However, when it came out, it turned out to be an okay movie, and Cage got good reviews.  

I'm not sure that Cage got good reviews for Kick-Ass or not, but I do know Kick-Ass got some good reviews for the movie itself. 

But that was the LAST and ONLY time Cage has had decent reviews in years (since World Trade Center).   Before that, you have to go all the way back to 2003 and Matchstick Men for good reviews on Cage.      

Also, none of those four movies broke $100 million at the box office.

The last time he had BOTH good reviews AND brought in $100 million at the box office was http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/faceoff/ - Face/Off in 1997 .  I may be out of step with critics and fans alike, but I felt Face/Off was only okay, relying far more on gimmick and action than screenplay and acting.  It used the gimmick very well, but it's still a gimmick.  I'll concede some of Travolta's and Cage's acting was good if not great, switching roles back and forth, but I never felt it transcended like I've seen both actors perform in their past movies.

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 9:48pm
Well, at least he was in four good movies within the last decade. Sadly, the studios that released them never bothered to market or support them more than they did.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: January 02 2011 at 10:19pm
January being the worst month for movies is a trend, not a tradition or law.  I'm not in denial of either of those things, I take offense to how you word it and find your stretching the truth hard to believe.  Call me out again and it'll be red.

Also, I don't see how this looks similar to Dungeon Siege.  

-------------

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 12:17am
Oddly enough the guys who did dubs of the trailers for 'Prince of Persia' and 'Clash of the Titans' also did a dub of the trailer for this film (Burn will know exactly what I'm talking about).

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 4:04am
Don't forget Adaptation. , the best thing Cage has done this decade.  

Then again, I would reconsider films like World Trade CenterMatchstick Men and Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. They're NOT that good, IMHO.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 4:21am
I have to say that I really enjoyed the first review on Rotten Tomatoes:  

But even within this schlocky genre, the plot is so preposterous that it boggles the mind. Nothing that happens makes any sense, even if you suspend the need for internal logic. Only one copy of this insanely long incantation? An all-powerful witch who can't do whatever she wants? At least we have a constant underscore to tell us whether the scene is meant to be scary or dramatic, because otherwise we might think it was a comedy spoof.

It sure looks promising. 

Anyway I was just wondering what was the last succesfull blockbuster set in medieval times, because I can't remember even one of those films! 

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 8:20am
I knew when I stopped at the 2003 Matchstick Men, someone would come along and bring up the 2002 Adaptation!  

I'm not commenting on whether these films are good or not, I'm just pointing to films where Cage did get good reviews.  I know, you'd think it would be one and the same. . .   

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 8:42am
Early reviews are scathing, but I'll wait to hear one of the Top Critics' reviews before I throw any punches.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 9:04am
Nicolas Cage's decision to star in 'The Wicker Man' isn't the only bad post-Oscar career move that's noteworthy.  Here are some other bad post-Oscar career moves (they are also nominees for one of my upcoming Top 5 lists): 

Roberto Benigni - won Oscar for 'Life is Beautiful', later appeared in 'Pinocchio'
Halle Berry - won Oscar for 'Monster's Ball', later appeared in 'Catwoman' and disowned it
Cuba Gooding Jr - won Oscar for 'Jerry Maguire', later appeared in 'Daddy Day Camp' among other clunkers
Ray Milland - won Oscar for 'The Lost Weekend', later appeared in 'The Thing with Two Heads'
Robin Williams - won Oscar for 'Good Will Hunting', later appeared in 'RV' and 'License to Wed' among other clunkers

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:04pm
Okay, Miguel, if "January being the worst month for movies is a trend, not a tradition or law," then it's a trend that happens EVERY ... SINGLE ... YEAR. 

Happy?  

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:05pm
Yeah, looks like they don't care for "high fantasy/action" movies.  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

Oddly enough the guys who did dubs of the trailers for 'Prince of Persia' and 'Clash of the Titans' also did a dub of the trailer for this film (Burn will know exactly what I'm talking about).

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:06pm
I know we have spammers here that bitch and moan about a movie or cast member that they like getting razzed -- but the Oscars have ruined more careers than we have!  

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:08pm
I don't need reviews. It's Nic Cage in a movie about magic, being released in Janurary. 

That's more than enough red flags for me! 

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

I don't need reviews. It's Nic Cage in a movie about magic, being released in Janurary. 

That's more than enough red flags for me! 
That's prejudiced and stupid.   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And also...accurate! 

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:59pm
Those "Trailer Dubs" guys are not funny at all.  They have nothing on the RiffTrax guys.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 3:45pm
Thanks HeadRazz. And Miguel, if I keep getting red cards, do they add up to make some new color card?  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

That's prejudiced and stupid.  
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And also...accurate! 

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 5:33pm
No, you just get a pile of chili-red confetti. Good for China and Chuugoku, bad for the Western World. Maybe that red ink will put Miguel in debt!

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 6:24pm
No, I can't go any further than a "red" card.  

And GTAHater, that was uncalled for!  

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 6:26pm
Now here's something about 'Season of the Witch' I'm concerned about.  It's directed by Dominic Sena, the same guy who gave us 'Whiteout' in 2009 (I didn't like that one).  The screenplay is written by Bragi Schut, who created the short-lived TV series 'Threshold' (I never saw that) and is making his feature film debut.  It stars Ben Sanderson, Hellboy, and Little Dorrit.  It's not from any of the major studios.  The review I read for this film says that the films biggest problem is the screenplay.  I would choose this over 'Little Fockers', but not over 'The Fighter' or 'The King's Speech'.  I am a little surprised that HeadRazzberry didn't make a reference to Christine O'Donnell.  Had they released it when those rumors were hot, this movie would've gotten more attention.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 6:27pm
You find my posts "blatantly offensive?" Many of the Forum members here find your soccer cards... ridiculous, Miguel.  

You keep trying to usher us out of the forums with those cards, and BHB obviously dislikes you. As far as I'm convinced, you won't be able to convince me to just leave that easily!

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 7:24pm
I know -- Seriously, I'm supposed to be scared of some guy who has no control over the Forum and likes posting red soccer cards? Big deal! A lot more people here support my opinions (based on facts, mind you) of what's going on in Hollywood -- even if I do sometimes phrase them in a blunt manner.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 7:26pm
Thanks for pointing out even more "red light warnings" that this movie is likely Razzie material. We've suspected it since the movie's star and release date were first annouced.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 7:53pm
The only warning signs I saw were Dominic Sena and the screenplay getting criticized.  I'm still not throwing any punches until top critics submit their reviews.  If I see it, then I'll give you my opinion of the matter, but since I am just one person, my opinion doesn't matter.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 8:13pm
And it's Nic Cage, who has been on a streak of bad "I need the money" movies...and it's being released in Janurary, the worst month of the year for movies. That's more than three strikes.  

The only warning signs I saw were Dominic Sena and the screenplay getting criticized.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2011 at 9:17pm
Seeing how you said Cage is on a 'streak', I'm guessing you didn't like 'Kick-Ass' or 'Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans'.

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 2:11pm
Wow, Cage was in two okay-to-good movies, sandwhiched in between six bad ones, over the past five or six years. Now that's a track record to be proud of! 

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 2:45pm
A lot of you are talking about "well-reviewed" movies Nicolas has been in, but HeadRAZZ asked which of them was also a box office hit (I consider a movie a hit if it doubles its budget in grosses). ADAPTATION (one of the best performances of all times), KICK-ASS (one of the best performances of the year)and BAD LIEUTENANT (one of the worst scripts of the year) were all flops. 

Originally posted by oiram

OK, here's what I'm going to do. Each time a Razzie considered movie comes up, I'm going to add on to my list of possible contenders. Eventually, I'll make the choices of the top five.

Can't you do that with only movies you saw?

January being the worst month for movies is a trend, not a tradition or law.  I'm not in denial of either of those things, I take offense to how you word it and find your stretching the truth hard to believe.  Call me out again and it'll be red.

I was looking to polls of the worst jobs in the world,based on how much the people with that job are hated (IRS Agent,Lawyer defending obviously guilty people,etc.). One of them must be soccer referees: Everyone hates them because half the time they make the wrong call. Anyway, I'm not saying I hate Miguel, but if he continues with those motherf*ck*ng soccer cards, I might. Go ahead, Miguel, give me a red card. I want to see what happens!  

Here are some other bad post-Oscar career moves (they are also nominees for one of my upcoming Top 5 lists): 

Roberto Benigni - won Oscar for 'Life is Beautiful', later appeared in 'Pinocchio'
Halle Berry - won Oscar for 'Monster's Ball', later appeared in 'Catwoman' and disowned it
Cuba Gooding Jr - won Oscar for 'Jerry Maguire', later appeared in 'Daddy Day Camp' among other clunkers
Ray Milland - won Oscar for 'The Lost Weekend', later appeared in 'The Thing with Two Heads'
Robin Williams - won Oscar for 'Good Will Hunting', later appeared in 'RV' and 'License to Wed' among other clunkers

Hang on, that can be applied to anyone. You should list ones won an Oscar, and the very next movie they were in was bad. Benigni is the perfect example. Not quite sure about Halle Berry.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 2:47pm
When I asked if you have to fight about everything, it was rhetorical!  

Sorry,but this time I take Miguel's side. Of course a lot of people don't think this will be good, and it's O.K. to say so, but Burn needs a better choice of words.  

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 4:05pm
Why should I ruin my brain? I'm sixteen. 

Originally posted by Vits

Originally posted by oiram

Can't you do that with only movies you saw?

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 4:22pm
I say, if you can piece together a negative opinion or consensus without watching the movie, you should spare your brain and avoid watching it.  

However, that's easy for me to say, with my objective personality; I say if the majority or whole system says a movie is bad, it's bad. But those of us with subjective personalities are more likely to say the individual has to experience something to know it; often they say your opinion can't be anything less than completely neutral until you've experienced it first-hand.

But again, I welcome the objective opinion put forth by word of mouth, critics, reviews, and ticket sales.

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2011 at 7:56pm
Some people may WANT to like this movie, but the warning signs, as I have listed before, all point to this movie not being good.

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 8:48am
There you go! See? Can't you say things like that more often?

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 10:42am
Oh, so it's the wording of my opinions as if they were facts that bothers you so?  

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 11:29am
Your opinions are fine. The words you choose to express them...not so much!

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 7:46pm
And there's a fifth red warning light: this is a remake. Yes, Miguel, I know, that makes me a "heartless bigot".

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 9:28pm
Excuse me, but what are you claiming this is a remake of?  Not George Romero's Season of the Witch, and certainly not Halloween III: Season of the Witch.  I read one critic say it's a remake of The Seventh Seal.  I haven't seen that movie, but from what I've read about the two, they're very different.

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 9:33pm
Well, if you can't say it's being unoriginal by remaking another movie, you can always say it's unoriginal in its title! 

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Excuse me, but what is this a remake of?  Not George Romero's Season of the Witch, and certainly not Halloween III: Season of the Witch.  I read one critic say it's a remake ofThe Seventh Seal.  I haven't seen that movie, but from what I've read about the two, they're very different.

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 9:53pm

Based on what I know, I don't think this movie has anything to do with the Halloween franchise or George Romero's film of the same name.  There is the possibility that this could be the next 'Wicker Man' or just another popcorn flick.  It could also make 'Gone in 60 Seconds' look like 'Pulp Fiction'.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 3:15am
Nah, looks like it's just Nicolas Cage stuffed into another medieval witch drama. . . .

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 6:31am
For one thing, both this and NAME OF THE KING co-star Ron Perlman!  

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS FILM's COMICAL RESEMBLANCE to OUR  http://www.razzies.com/history/29thNoms.asp - ???

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 12:29pm
From the way critics are responding to this, I can make a few conclusions on this film: It's not popular, it's not defying gravity, and between its original release date and now, it hasn't been changed for good.

Not only does it make 'Gone in 60 Seconds' look like 'Pulp Fiction', it also makes 'Hocus Pocus' look downright genuine.

-------------

Posted By: aqua mailman
Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 6:48pm
Am  the only one who thinks they are trying to cash in on Halloween? 2007: Halloween. 2009: H2. Now, an unrelated  movie called "Season of the Witch." 

Either that, or they are hoping to cash in on the George Romero movie... 

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 7:37pm
I don't see any connection to either of the previous Season of the Witch movies.  

Originally posted by aqua mailman

Am  the only one who thinks they are trying to cash in on Halloween? 2007: Halloween. 2009: H2. Now, an unrelated  movie called "Season of the Witch." Either that, or they are cashing in on the George Romero movie.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 7:43pm
Here's Roger Ebert's take on this film: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110105/REVIEWS/110109993 - LINK .

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2011 at 7:51pm
I'll kill the suspense for you: It's the next "Wicker Man."  Not only that, but with a severe snowstorm this weekend on the East Coast, it should expect even lower numbers at the box office.

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 10:14am
Holy Cow! This went from 20% to 2% in a blink! It's already likely to be one of the worst movies of the new year!

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 1:09pm
No wonder they delayed this film for nine months!  Apparently, it totally reeks!

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 2:11pm
The R.T. numbers changed so rapidly because a lot more reviews came in (1 positive, 60 negative).  And that one positive has an *asterisk* on it.  

"It's creaky, predictable and frequently idiotic. But for a tipsy Saturday night, this should tick all the right boxes." -- Tom Huddleston  

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 2:25pm
Not to say I told you so, Miguel, but... I told you so!  

No wonder they delayed this film for nine months!  Apparently it totally reeks!

-------------

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 2:48pm
Judging from the trailer, this movie's weak. Can't its release be delayed again?!?

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 7:58pm
DAMN! 

Rotten Tomatoes has it at a whopping...1%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do we ALREADY KNOW who the BIG WINNER of the 2012 Razzies will be...in advance of 2011's show?????

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 8:13pm
Maybe we should hope Nicolas Cage releases one or two more bombs in 2010, to keep this doodoo fresh on our voters' minds next year's nominating ballot?  

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 8:41pm

Perhaps this'll get Nicolas Cage the Worst Actor award in the 32nd Annual RAZZIES, in 2012. But like many a film before it with single digit numbers at Rotten Tomatoes, some other film will probably "win" Worst Picture because it made more waves.  

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 9:35pm
It's like a late Christmas gift! One week into the new year, and we already have a top contender for next year!

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2011 at 11:13pm

Seeing how this movie has already gotten a number of Uwe Boll comparisons from critics, I think I'll reserve a Worst Director nod for Dominic Sena (on my awards).

-------------

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 12:16am
Due to SotW's RT score of 1%, I can say that this horror film is so bad it makes 'I Know Who Killed Me' and 'Darkness Falls' look like 'The Exorcist' and 'Nosferatu' 

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 6:12am
Wow, Season of the Witch is doing badly. I think this should be delayed again for even more re-shooting.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 7:24am
Considering That the Justin Biber 3-D concert thing is coming along, this may, unfortunately, not get Cage a Worst Actor Razzie...

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Perhaps this'll get Nicolas Cage the Worst Actor award in the 32nd Annual RAZZIES, in 2012. But like many a film before it with single digit numbers at Rotten Tomatoes, some other film will probably "win" Worst Picture because it made more waves.  

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 7:34am
Here's a question? Did anyone here already see the film? If so, was it better or worse than you expected? What do you think its RAZZIE-chances are?

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 9:03am
Given it's 1% rating at RT, I doubt anyone here is willing to pay money to see it! We'll know for sure once it's out on DVD/Red Box/Netflix.

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 10:06am
But the RAZZIES never even considered Darkness Falls for their Worst Of 2003 awards... did they?  

And if anyone wants me to see Season of the Witch, I say, "No deal!" I look at the director and know that if dis-honor were made of tar, my skin would be singed and crusty by now.  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

Due to SotW's RT score of 1%, I can say that this horror film is so bad it makes 'I Know Who Killed Me' and 'Darkness Falls' look like 'The Exorcist' and 'Nosferatu' 

-------------

Posted By: TheMovieCritic
Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 2:44pm
I've noticed a pattern the worst Cages hair gets the worst his film is. Look at his film from last year and this one that just came out so sad.   

Date Posted: January 08 2011 at 10:41pm
So in order to save his career, Nic Cage must ... shave his head completely bald?!?

-------------

Posted By: phe_de
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 3:44am
Don't Robin Hood movies usually do well?  

Originally posted by Vheid

Anyway I was just wondering what was the last succesfull blockbuster set in medieval times, because I can't remember even one of those films! 

RESPONE from Head RAZZberry: The most recent Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe version of ROBIN HOOD is generally considered to be a "disappointment," with a production budget of about $200 million and a domestic gross of only $105 million...  

-------------
Everything is possible, and nothing is sure.

Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 11:05am
The recent Robin Hood is rated 53% on Metacritic and 42% on Rotten Tomatoes.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 2:06pm
I just saw it and it was so cheesy.

Pearlman and a puffy faced Nic Cage feel misplaced as the only Americans in an all Brit-cast. On top of that there dialogue sounds more like that of buddy-cop movie than a medieval one. Also a lot of swordsplay and mindless action fun and what will probably be one of the most unoriginal endings of the year: ***SPOILER***The girl wasn't a witch, she was just posessed by the devil.

On it's Razzie-chances. I think it will most likely be forgotten once voting has begon, because it really isn't memorable enough to stay on peoples mind for such a long time.

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 9:39am

On it's Razzie-chances. I think it will most likely be forgotten once voting has begon, because it really isn't memorable enough to stay on peoples mind for such a long time.
I don't know, it depends on how many voters see it on DVD. Considering Cage's track record of proving that "Nic Cage's Agent" parody video from College Humor true, I doubt the voters would be willing to let him off the hook much longer.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 3:30pm
If The Season of the Witch was the only movie Cage was starring in this year, then yes, you're probably right.  But Cage is also appearing in a movie called Drive Angry with Amber Heard.  And even better, it's in 3D (for Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest!).

So, Cage appearing in two Razzie worthy films increases his chances of appearing on next year's ballot greatly.

Posted By: rocketsfan05
Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 12:56pm
Wow this looks pretty bad. I knew this would be a flop from the moment I saw the previews.

Posted By: phe_de
Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

DOES ANYONE EVEN REMEMBER the LAST TIME http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450345/awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450345/awards - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450345/awards - TOP-LINED a MOVIE THAT HAD EITHER DECENT REVIEWS (or AT LEAST OKAY BOX OFFICE)? 

Decent reviews: Kick-Ass.
Okay Box office: National Treasure - Book of secrets.

That was easy.

-------------
Everything is possible, and nothing is sure.

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 1:51pm
I think HeadRAZZ meant both things. Not so easy,right?

-------------

Posted By: rocketsfan05
Date Posted: January 20 2011 at 12:38pm
According to Salem theology, a witch is someone who is possessed by the devil.  

***SPOILER***The girl wasn't a witch, she was just posessed by the devil.

-------------
sh*tty movies are the opiate of the masses.

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 5:31am
Don't blame me. They really meant it as some sort of a plot twist. They say something like "Oh no, if we knew that she was posessed by a CGI version of the devil (with wings and horns) instead of being a witch, we would never have taken her so close to the book that can destroy demons!"  

Just want to point out that these arn't there exact words, but a free interpetation of them by me.

-------------

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 4:52pm
Well Nicolas Cage also has "Drive Angry in 3D" on the horizon, and that looks to be another steaming pile of bear sh*t! I'd say his chances of winning Worst Actor this year are in the 90% range...  

-------------
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 5:00pm
Nicolas Cage lost in the Worst of 2006 RAZZIES because of Little Man, right? We'll just have to see how Drive Angry does before I can say myself. Then again, it's only the winter quarter, so I usually reserve judgment until at least the summer quarter.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 6:32pm
Like I said, winter is the worst season for movies, because that's when all the worst s*** is released, and Nic Cage is single-handedly proving that statement true!

-------------

Posted By: nubia7
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 2:41pm
Poor Nick, he must've needed money so bad, that he didn't even read the script before saying yes. Smile 

Date Posted: June 28 2011 at 6:51pm
When Richard Roeper was commenting on the new DVD releases,he said it's as if Cage was asking for a Lifetime Achievement Razzie with this movie.There's a video in the Youtube channel for the Razzies that counts how many times the Razzies have been mentioned on TV.Maybe you can add this clip.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/newondvdbeastlyandseasonofthewitch.aspx - ® reference... 

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:07pm
I just saw it,but I won't review it.

It's true what they say about the release dates,since this movie was the first release of the year.This should be nominated for Worst Picture.Is it a rip-off of any movie?If so,Remake Or Rip-off as well.

Once again,Nicolas Cage is uninspired.And so is Ron Perlman.So if the former gets nominated,the latter has to be too.None of the other performances were bad,so no Worst Ensemble or Couple.

The directing may not seem bad at first,because there aren't really bad shots.It's just that the shots are the same ones we've seen in every other movie.The pacing is wrong too,specially for a movie of this genre.Since there are no technical categories,I'm guessing the lousy FX count as part of the directing for making the movie visually bad.Also the photography.I got that they make it dark on purpose,but it came off as ugly.Dominic Sena should be nominated.

The plot doesn't engage you(I lost interest after the title of the movie appears),and it seems to be built from other medieval movies.It's so damn boring I couldn't even look at the screen.And during the 2nd half of the movie,the plot becomes less and less comprehensible,I didn't even bother to try looking for any plot holes(I'm sure there were).Bragi F. Schut should be nominated as well.

I give this 0/10.

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:10pm
I am still convinced that this movie will be mostly forgotten by the time the nomination ballots arive.

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:39pm

I am still convinced that this movie will be mostly forgotten by the time the nomination ballots arive.
Doubtful. Cage is considered the worst A-List actor working in Hollywood right now. I believe both he and at least one of his movies from this year will make it to the final five nods for Worst Actor and Picture ... but Cage will likely lose to Shia LaButtHole!

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:53pm
IDK, LabuttHole pretty bad, but he's not at the same badness threshold as Nic here... or Alex Pettyful in his two movies this year.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Doubtful. Cage is considered the worst A-List actor working in Hollywood right now. I believe both he and at least one of his movies from this year will make it to the final five nods for Worst Actor and Picture ... but Cage will likely lose to Shia LaButtHole!
I must say it causes me a great deal of discomfort when you insist that Dark of the Moon will win any of the RAZZIES, but this is the most sickening of them all. What on Earth could lead Shia LeBoeuf to beat Nicolas Cage for Worst Actor, let alone Nic Cage combined with 2-4 other actors I've already recommended?

EDIT: There were 3 other actors: Russell Brand, Adam Sandler, and Bradley Cooper. How would LeBoeuf be the worst of these five?

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 5:34am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

I must say it causes me a great deal of discomfort when you insist that Dark of the Moon will win any of the RAZZIES, but this is the most sickening of them all. What on Earth could lead Shia LeBoeuf to beat Nicolas Cage for Worst Actor, let alone Nic Cage combined with 2-4 other actors I've already recommended?
I don't know where this discomfort is coming from. Casts and crews have been Razzed over silly little things before, like Pierce Brosnan for not being able to sing in "Momma Mia". Surely LaButtHole could win just for being annoying or comparing himself to Warren Beatty, or Rosie what's her name could win for being nothing more than a walking/talking prop for sexual innuendo. Look, I'm not saying "Dark of the Moon" is going to sweep the Razzies with "wins", I'm just saying it stands a very good chance of getting a lot of nods and some wins as well, maybe 3-5 at the most.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 6:41am
Hold on.We all know this movie will be nominated for Worst Actor.But I really want it to also be nominated for as much categories as possible.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 11:30am
Given the history of the Razzies, I can almost insure you that certain movies will be among the nominees, and they are "Transformers 3" (Michael Bay, need I say more), any of Nicolas Cage's movies, and any of Adam Sandler's movies. Which movies will actually win is another topic.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 6:05pm
I think that Worst Actor is the only nomination that this film gets and that's only because Nic Cage is starring in 4 films. It was just released way to early in the year for people to remember it... and I doubt if enough voters will have seen it by the time voting begins...

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 7:47pm

I think that Worst Actor is the only nomination that this film gets and that's only because Nic Cage is starring in 4 films. It was just released way to early in the year for people to remember it... and I doubt if enough voters will have seen it by the time voting begins...
Oh yes, Nicolas Cage stands the best chance out of anyone in that category. I'm just saying the Razzies have been know to have some surprise wins, so don't be shocked if LaButtHole gets the upset victory from out of thin air.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 12:55pm
With three or four movies each this year, Worst Actor is hands down going to Cage or Sandler.

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: August 13 2011 at 9:37pm
Well, time for my final review for now. Don't worry, Hoodwinked Too, Priest, and Something Borrowed are coming to DVD in three days (it's after midnight here in NY) so there will be reviews in the future. With that in mind, let's dive into the worst movie that I've seen this year so far.

The good:

Ron Perlman: This isn't so much about his performance, but more about the fact that I like him and am glad that he gets money to do things that he likes.

And that's about it for the good.

The bad:

Nicolas Cage's hair: I'll have terrible things to say about his acting in the ugly, but, for now, let's take about his terrible hair. It's crappy, mangy, and ugly to look at. Much like Hulk Hogan, Nic just needs to admit that he's bald.

Clare Foy: One of the worst supporting actresses of the year doesn't do credit to her performance. She was so bad, that I actually hoped that someone would burn her at the stake.

The CGI-wolves: They're CGI is pretty bad, but it's got nothing on CGI-demon at the end of this god-forsaken abombination. I have them in the bad because, while they may look crappy, they do bad things to the actors without looking as terrible as the demon.

The ugly:

The script: Jesus, was this written with a magic marker? This is so bad, that I'd like to apologize to all the other bad screenplays I've insulted because they have no hope of reaching this in badness. This doesn't mean I'm letting Ehren Krueger, Allan Loeb, and f*cker Greg Berlanti off the hook; I'm just saying that their sins aren't as big as this one's.

The CGI-demon: This is easily the worst special effects creation of the year. Those flying-squirel aliens from I Am Dumber Four Watching this? They're practicully a species from Pandora compared to that thing! The District 9 knock-offaliens from Battle: LA? They're H.R. Giger's creations compared to that!

And now, the biggest offender from the worst movie of 2011... NICOLAS CAGE!!!: Seriously, this is Nic's worst acting that doesn't involve a bear-suit. I know that he needs money, but he should just let go of some of it. Seriously, why do you need a f*cking castle? That's just f*ck you money right there. Also, rangle your son in. He's making an ass of himself. He looks like a terrible Metalocalypse cosplayer. Unless, you're paying him off to act like an idiot to distract everyone from you're bad movie choices. Well, I've seen though your plan Cage!

Wow, that was a biggie. Can there be a movie that can match Season Of The Witch in stupidity? Well, I haven't seen Zoopkeeper yet and Jack And Jill is still on the horizon, but still. Grade: F, as in uck this movie!

Also, if you enjoyed my deranged theories about Weston Cage's behavior, wait 'till I get around to seeing The Undefeated and my Sarah Palin theories will flow like a salmon in a river.

(Note: my Robot Chicken quote about Joel Schumacher will be returning to my sig. Upcoming movies on DVD will be listed as upcoming reviews.)

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: August 13 2011 at 10:00pm
You raise a good question:why does Cage have a wig in half of his latest action movies?I mean,I know the marketing reasons and all,but this isn't the '50s where we people got fooled by that stuff.Does anyone think he looks goog with those?

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: August 13 2011 at 10:01pm
I was suprised you didn't list Nic Cage's accent in this, because it's always surefire bad if he uses his normal accent, which everyone uses an accent.

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 2:01pm
Ah, Nicolas Cage ... proving that College Humor video "Nic Cage's Agent" true, one movie at a time!

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2011 at 3:58pm
A lot of people really seem to hate this movie... I personally found it merely mediocre (if I would give it rating it would be a 3 or 4 out of 10)... It''s silly and tacky but seems harmless.... I found the bad stuff of the movie in a way very amusing and entertaining (mainly because it made no sense)... I don't think that I will personally nominate this one....

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: October 05 2011 at 5:33pm
Personally, I think Worst Actor will be a race between Cage, Adam Sandler, the guy who played Bucky Larson, Shia LaButtHole, and either one of the male leads from "Twilight".

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Print Page | Close Window