Print Page | Close Window

FORUM FEEDBACK on 2011 RELEASES LIST

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: COMPLETE LIST of 2011 ELIGIBLE RELEASES
Forum Discription: Every Danged Movie Released This Calendar Year...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4753
Printed Date: April 24 2014 at 5:20am

Topic: FORUM FEEDBACK on 2011 RELEASES LIST
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: FORUM FEEDBACK on 2011 RELEASES LIST
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 7:19am
FEEL FREE to OFFER YER CAT CALLS and CACOPHONOUS (and/or CATHARTIC) COMMENTARY BELOW...  

ENJOY!  

...AND, IN CASE YOU SOMEHOW MISSED IT, HERE's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-2011-list-jan-1-nov11_topic4752.html - to CHECK OUT OUR COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2011 RELEASES (WHICH, as of DECEMBER 4th, HAD BECOME SO BIG WE HADDA SPLIT IT into TWO PARTS!)... 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 7:41am
As usual, I thought the ballot was very good. The only glaring omission, imho, was neglecting to nominate Skyline for Worst Picture. What an appalling piece of crap that movie is! It was my only write in selection.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: What spared SKYLINE from being listed for Worst Picture was its paltry budget -- Bad as it was, it reportedly only cost $10 million, and has to date grossed about $55 million worldwide ( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=skyline.htm -

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: January 09 2011 at 11:30am
Noah Ringer -- Why wasn't he listed on the nominating ballot??  

EDIT:Each time a Razzie considered movie comes up, I'm going to add on to my list of possible contenders. Eventually, I'll make my choices for the top five WORST of 2011.

Worst Picture: Season of the Witch 

Worst Actor: Nicolas Cage / Season of the Witch 

Worst Supporting Actor: Ron Perlmen, Stephen Campbell Moore, Robert Sheehan, Ulrich Thomsen, Stephen Graham, and Christopher Lee / Season of the Witch   

Worst Supporting Actress: Claire Foy / Season of the Witch 

Worst Screen Couple: Nicolas Cage and either Ron Perlmen or Claire Foy / Season of the Witch 

Worst Dirctor: Dominic Sena / Season of the Witch   

Worst Screenplay: Season of the Witch (written by Bragi F. Schut)  

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 6:42am
Oiram, why don't you just watch the films you think are eligible?  

I feel like when you fill in the ballot based on what the critics say, NOT you but the critics are indirectly filling in your ballot. Just saying... 

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 7:47am
I am someone who likes to bring up obscure films that in no way or shape will find there way into Razzie consideration. One of those being Ong Bak 3. The film caught my eye because it was a sequel and had a 4.6/10 score on IMDB which must suggest that the film was not that well recieved by moviegoers. So my next step was looking up reviews for this film on Rotten Tomatoes. It currently has two reviews a positive one and a negative one:

From the negative review on Screen Junkies:
It really feels like a Game of Death situation where they’re building a movie around existing footage of the star. Jaa probably shot more of this than Bruce Lee did of Game and he’s only absent, not dead, but there’s still a lot that feels like it’s padding out the running time.

The only part that even involves Tien is his rehabilitation. He spends a lot of time injured so Jaa doesn’t even walk, let alone fight. There’s some karma spirituality and a special recovery kata. Nothing new but nothing that would detract from a good fight movie. Although, the idea of a fighter practicing non-fighting against violent attackers is a bit tired.

Some other reviews from well known filmsources (that don't seem to apear on Rotten Tomatoes) also were not very kind to this film.

From the review on Empire online:
With its gritty jungle setting, spare dialogue and grungy warring tribes, the feel of this thundery vengeance epic is, quite unexpectedly, of a kung-fu Apocalypto. Set centuries apart, in a new era and with a new hero, it certainly bears little resemblance to the light-footed original that launched Jaa. While Ong Bak 3 (shooting now) promises to tie things up plot-wise, the car-hurdling and knockabout joys are long gone, replaced by a grimacing heaviness. If Ong Bak was his Jackie Chan movie, this, you guess, is his Bruce Lee one, with Jaa reprogrammed to a colder, harder persona. The movie built around him is so brooding and ominous it holds a deep, serious frown throughout, and fully expects you to follow suit. Which, considering Jaa’s opponents include a roaring cat-witch, a phantom crow and a guy with a bin on his head, is a big ask.

Mind you, if Jaa himself is nowhere near as engaging, his back-to-basics action mantra (no effects, no wire-fu, no doubles) still packs a primal wallop. You just keep wishing the pace was as streamlined as the moves. In an attempt to ‘epic up’ a basic tale of revenge, the rhythm gets constantly thrown off by a series of long-winded flashbacks that stunt the brute impact of any preceding action riff. Instead of a steady rush of blood, you get a regular pulse.

From the review on Variety:
Too much contemplation and not enough demonstration sends Thai-socky "Ong Bak 3" slumping to the canvas. Latest and reportedly final installment lacks the emotional clout that would compensate for the meager footage of martial-arts superman/co-helmer Tony Jaa beating the daylights out of all comers. Pic has grossed an underwhelming $1.4 million locally since May (the 2003 original took $7 million) and will likely struggle to perform theatrically offshore. Brand-name recognition should produce reasonable ancillary results.

From the review on Total Film:
this stodgy effort bears little resemblance to the blistering, modern-day original – a greater focus on Bhuddist philosophy (as expounded by Jaa and co on the limited extras) leaves little room for the sort of bone-crunching, no-frills set-pieces that first brought Jaa to our attention.

I know it will never get it's own forum on this site (mainly because it's released in the same week as The Dillema and The Green Hornet) so i kind of like the idea of making films like this aware to the voters here. You know a little acknowledgement of the bad smaller releases.

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 1:40pm
"Ong Bak 3" even failed in it's native Thailand, so I have no idea why it should be a success here. Plus, after you have seen one Tony Jaa movie, you have seen them all. Weak plots, Jaa doing crazy stunts, movie ends quickly after final boss fight.  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 10:13pm
Serves them right! They should have known that if they made too many sequels they would alienate the fans of the original to a point were they are not willing to pay to see these movies anymore. 

Talk about underperforming sequels, I am actually wondering if there is the slightest chance that Transformers 3 will underperform this summer (or may even be a box office bomb?) seeing that it follows such a universally hated film.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

"Ong Bak 3" even failed in it's native Thailand, so I have no idea why it should be a success here.

This apparently is Jaa's  last film. He has retired to become a Buddhist monk.

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Plus, after you have seen one Tony Jaa movie, you have seen them all. Weak plots, Jaa doing crazy stunts, movie ends quickly after final boss fight.  

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: January 10 2011 at 10:46pm

I'm one of less than 40% of my friends who didn't like Revenge of the Fallen. Alas, I hope The Dark of the Moon doesn't win Worst Picture of 2011 because that would mean 2 films from 1 series being the #1 worst.

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 12:29am
I never said the word "Razzies," I just hope it performs badly box office-wise, so that there is an immediate end to the franchise...  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

I'm one of less than 40% of my friends who didn't like Revenge of the Fallen. Alas, I hope The Dark of the Moon doesn't win Worst Picture of 2011 because that would mean 2 films from 1 series being the #1 worst.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: What spared SKYLINE from being listed for Worst Picture was its paltry budget -- Bad as it was, it reportedly only cost $10 million, and has to date grossed about $55 million worldwide ( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=skyline.htm - - B.O. MoJo LINK ). Almost every title that was listed for Worst Picture (with the possible exception of VAMPIRES SUCK) cost 5 to 20 times as much to make, and still sucked just as bad as SKYLINE (which was listed on the ballot for Worst Screenplay)...  
So "Skyline" is spared for not being AS successful as other unwatchable movies from last year?

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 2:52pm

Yes and no; Skyline was spared more because of its smaller budget than for how much money it made. Any other awards Skyline is up for?

-------------
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 4:00pm
Big budget or small budget, "Skyline" was still a bad movie. I guess the amount of Razzie worth is also measured in studio scope. If the studio is hoping a piece of s*** like "Fartbender" or "Clash of the Titans" is going to be their meal ticket for the year (and in future years in the form of sequels), then yes, I can see why they are bigger targets. Also a bad movie making MUCH more money than it should have (ie. "Trannies 2") is also a likely prime target. 

But "Skyline" was such an under-whelming, under-planned mess, it seems a shame it barely got more than one or two major spots on the Razzie ballot. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 4:04pm
I suspect that Skyline might get a fair share of write-ins, but it would have been a longshot for Worst Picture even if it had been on the ballot. As I noted above, I thought it was an interesting omission, but given how quickly and completely it has fallen off the public radar screen, Head Razz probably has a point.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 7:27pm

I suspect that Skyline might get a fair share of write-ins, but it would have been a longshot for Worst Picture even if it had been on the ballot. As I noted above, I thought it was an interesting omission, but given how quickly and completely it has fallen off the public radar screen, Head Razz probably has a point.
Yes, I thought it's lack of spots on the ballot was odd, too, considering it was almost universally hated by critics and audiences alike. Still, that $55 million gross was enough for the studios to greenlight (or is it "bluelight" when it comes to this movie?) a sequel, which will no doubt be equally as bad. That's also a factor to keep in mind. But in the end, it just goes to show, just because you're an expert in one area of filmmaking (in this case, make-up, special effects, and CGI) that doesn't mean you can write/produce/direct a major motion picture with a very specific genre.

-------------

Posted By: cvcjr13
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:40am
Well, I thought using dolls - er - models at the end to depict the final fight scene while the credits rolled by would have guaranteed Skyline some sort of spot in the Razzie pantheon.  Here we have two special effects gurus directing a film, and in the end they resort to low-tech storytelling with dolls. . . .

Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 8:06am
The first review for The Dilemma has apeared on RT and it isn't any good:

Unfortunately, Howard and writer Allan Loeb don’t know how to turn a classic farce set-up into an actual farce. Yes, there are secrets, mistaken impressions (Ronnie’s weird behavior convinces everyone he knows that he’s relapsed into gambling addiction) and violent confrontations. But while this movie huffs and puffs a lot, it rarely produces anything resembling a truly funny moment.

Instead, we’re left with Vaughn’s long-winded improvs, which seldom lead to real pay-offs. He goes all wide-eyed and starts talking – and for some reason, Howard just lets him talk, despite the fact that he would need a GPS to guide him back to a punchline or even a salient point.

James doesn’t have much more to work with and neither do Ryder, Connelly or the rest of the cast. There’s a lot of activity but little that results in genuine humor – or even false humor.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: January 12 2011 at 1:05pm
I'm confused: Does this mean we can talk here and http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-2011-list-jan-114_topic4752.html - the list will be there just to see?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Short answer...YES.  

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 3:12pm

The Critics' Choice Awards are tomorrow.  Finally, we get to see an award show with the word 'Choice' in it that's not dominated by dullards.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 6:08pm
Ah, yes, the one and only "Choice" Award show with any street credit to it. 

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

The Critics' Choice Awards are tomorrow.  Finally, we get to see an award show with the word 'Choice' in it that's not dominated by dullards.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 7:51pm
There's been too many good reviews of The Green Hornet for us to consider it.  That doesn't mean it was good; we know they needed to reshoot scenes and add new ones to make it work.  It's just that the studio managed to re-cut a mediocre movie out of a bad one. 

The Dilemma, on the other hand, poses no dilemma - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dilemma/ - there's been a tsunami of bad reviews .  

If you look at the limited releases, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/burning-palms/ - you have Burning Palms , where yet another director makes the same mistake as Uwe Boll did with Postal - portraying taboos on the screen without the smarts to make it really work.  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/repo-chick/ - Another indie movie is Repo Chick , which I can't tell if it's good or not, but it continues the "repo theme" that's been botched twice already with last year's Repo Man and 2008's Repo! The Genetic Opera.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 11:44am

The Dilemma has only 23% at RT and 46% (an exact double) at MC. Most of the positive reviews at Rotten Tomatoes barely praise it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 11:55am
cvcjr13, I just saw the trailer for Burning Palms and it looks very messy. As for Repo Chick, it doesn't seem to be on the list of eligable titles.

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 1:26pm
Green Hornet is currently at something like 43% at RT, that seems pretty worthy of our attention to me, but maybe that's just me.  

Originally posted by cvcjr13

There's been too many good reviews of The Green Hornet for us to consider it.  That doesn't mean it was good; we know they needed to reshoot scenes and add new ones to make it work.  It's just that the studio made an mediocre movie out of a bad one. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2011 at 6:10pm
I'm not saying The Green Hornet outright is un-worthy of our attention, but that it would barely qualify, if at all... 

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 1:57am
BHB, this news ought to send your blood pressure straight to chronic hypertension.

2011 will see remakes of The Thing (third time around), Footloose and The Three Musketeers.

Be sure to ask your doctor about Atenolol, okay? . . .

Posted By: cartman1337
Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 3:03am
The thing about "The Thing" is that, this time around, it's not actually a remake, but a "prequel." The real question is why they decided to give it the same name as the movie to which  it's supposed to be a prequel...  

But I'm actually somewhat excited about the movie, seeing how much of the cast is actually from my own country (Norway). No more attempts to try to make an American D-list actor sound Norwegian, like in the 1982 movie. It just doesn't work...

Incidentally, what I came to this thread to write was that Ong-Bak 3 really ought to be considered a Razzie contender. It is truly, truly terrible, and easily deserves mention in categories such as Worst Sequel, Worst Screenplay and Worst Actor.  

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 6:49am
You haven't been the only one to suggest Ong Bak 3

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 7:05am
cartman1337, you've seen it? How bad is Ong Bak 3 now actually? Do you think it's Razzie-worthy?

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 7:34am
Yes, I've had the unfortunate misfortune to see Ong Bak 3. Ong Bak 1 was decent enough. Poor excuse for a story, but it had lots of great fighting sequences, which made it mostly enjoyable. Ong Bak 2 had far less fighting sequences, relying more on its even poorer excuse for a story, and was a rather trite experience. Ong Bak 3 is, believe it or not, even more lacking in fighting sequences, and what there are is poorly filmed, and finding Tony Jaa in a rather poor form overall. And the story makes no sense what so ever. Ong Bak 2 had, at least, a couple of action sequences that were OK, but Ong Bak 3 didn't even have that. It was just one, very long yawn from start to end.

In short; yes, I think it's Razzie-worthy!  

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 8:21am
cartman1337, In what categories would you place the film? For me it would probably be a serious contendor in the Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel-category (it's clearly a film made only for the money). To bad that so little Razzie-voters will see it before the year is over, I would have loved to see a foreign film on the ballot.

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 8:28am
Like I stated above, I think it could be a contender for Worst Screenplay and Worst Actor in addition to the category you mentioned. But we'll see what the year brings. At the end of the year it might not be among the bottom 5 any longer. ;)

But here's an idea. The other award show has a category for Best Foreign Film. How about a category for Worst Foreign Film, then?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The idea of a Worst Foreign Film category has come up repeatedly over the years. While ONG BAK 3 may be an exception, my response has alwaze been that, if a film is perceived as being wretched in its country of origin, it will not likely see release here. I should also mention that, while OB3 may indeed play in a handful of theatres here in the US, it will probably not even be seen (let alone be available to see) by anywhere near a majority of our hundreds of Voting Members -- in other words, it may indeed suck, but it won't likely be widely enough seen to have any "RAZZIE® Traction."  

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 9:37am

BHB, this news ought to send your blood pressure straight to chronic hypertension.

2011 will see remakes of The Thing (third time around), Footloose and The Three Musketeers.

Be sure to ask your doctor about Atenolol, okay? . . .
"So, doc, is Atenolol right for me"?

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 10:45am
So, a worst Documentary-category would also be impossible?

Originally posted by cartman1337

Like I stated above, I think it could be a contender for Worst Screenplay and Worst Actor in addition to the category you mentioned. But we'll see what the year brings. At the end of the year it might not be among the bottom 5 any longer. ;)

But here's an idea. The other award show has a category for Best Foreign Film. How about a category for Worst Foreign Film, then?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The idea of a Worst Foreign Film category has come up repeatedly over the years. While ONG BAK 3 may be an exception, my response has alwaze been that, if a film is perceived as being wretched in its country of origin, it will not likely see release here. I should also mention that, while OB3 may indeed play in a handful of theatres here in the US, it will probably not even be seen (let alone be available to see) by anywhere near a majority of our hundreds of Voting Members -- in other words, it may indeed suck, but it won't likely be widely enough seen to have any "RAZZIE® Traction."  

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 11:26am

What are the requirements for it to be considered available to voting members? It's already available on both region A/1 and B/2 Blu-ray and DVD, available to anyone who'd want to give it a go. In all likelihood most rental stores will have a couple of copies of it for a while as well. Still, I see your point, it's not a major title in any way.

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 2:03pm
Is there going to be a Worst Movie of the Weak this week? I am just wondering because i've seen no signs that there will be on the forum, which i think is a bit odd seeing that enough bad films have been released/mentioned this week. Why are The Dilemma, The Green Hornet and Burning Palms not up for consideration for instance?

Okey, I'll admit Burning Palms seems to suffer the same obscure faith as Ong Bak 3, but Dilemma and Hornet must atleast stick out as very strong Razzie-contendors with there big names and bad reviews.

Date Posted: January 15 2011 at 3:24pm

HeadRAZZ is probably preparing for the Razzie Prevue Night tonight and putting together the final ballot based on our votes.  I for one fee The Dilemma should be on the list simply based on the reviews and the very unfunny trailer.  Also, if Vince Vaughn or Kevin James (who lends his voice to the upcoming movie The Zookeeper along with Adam Sandler) are in any other Razzie worthy movies, they can be nominated for this one, too.

I may cobble something together tomorrow.

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 1:34pm
The Zookeeper does indeed look bad with an ensemble cast of James, Sandler, Stallone, Cher and Ken Jeong. One has to wonder if this is meant to be a razzie-baiter.

I am sorry, if i came over as rude in my earlier post. I didn't mean to be.

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:10pm
Hey,guys.The 9th Annual "Wiken" Film Festival just ended I only got to see 3 movies:
1)Sofia Coppola's SOMEWHERE,with Elle Fanning(Dakota's sister).I gave it 6/10.
2)THE CONCERT from Russia and France,with Melanie Laurent(she seems to have a thing for multi-language movies).I gave it 8/10.
3)BIUTIFUL from Spain,with Javier Bardem(the first movie directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu but not written by Guillermo Arriaga).I also gave it 8/10.
Originally posted by Vits

I'm confused: Does this mean we can talk here and http://www.razzies.com/forum/the-2011-list-jan-114_topic4752.html - the list will be there just to see?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Short answer...YES.
Ummm...cool?

If it was possible I guess Uwe Boll would've won by now.
Originally posted by Vheid

It's not impossible,but how many bad documentaries are made each year?Luckily one has mixed reviews.

What are the requirements for it to be considered available to voting members? It's already available on both region A/1 and B/2 Blu-ray and DVD, available to anyone who'd want to give it a go. In all likelihood most rental stores will have a couple of copies of it for a while as well. Still, I see your point, it's not a major title in any way.
Welcome Cartman.

A movie can't be nominated if it was direct to DVD.

The Zookeeper does indeed look bad with an ensemble cast of James, Sandler, Stallone, Cher and Ken Jeong. One has to wonder if this is meant to be a razzie-baiter.
So basically the ones that will more likely be nominated this year decided to get together?Are they protesting against the Razzies?

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 8:26pm
Are they protesting the Razzies?  Nah.  They just hang out together.  You know, birds of a feather go extinct together. . . .

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 9:11pm
I now bring you my list of the Top 5 Least Anticipated Movies of the First Quarter.  These are the five movies that I absolutely am not looking forward to, but if I have to risk life and limb to give a legitimate opinion, I will.  Here we go:

5. Hall Pass - I really don't wanna pay seven dollars to see a movie about Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis behaving badly.  It looks like they're in an offensive wet dream.

4. Take Me Home Tonight - When I first saw the trailer for this film, I asked myself, "What the bloody hell was that!?"  Despite having a throwback to the 80s, this film looks intensly stupid and out of control.

3. No Strings Attached - No matter how hard he tries, Ashton Kutcher can't seem to pull off a decent performance.  He's already slated for a Razzie nod for the movie 'Killers' and he thinks with this film, he can keep his career from going under.  If its Tomatometer rating and Metascore are low enough, it might motivate Razzie voters.

2. Just Go With It - You know how they say 'three on a match is bad luck'?  This movie stars Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston and its directed by Dennis Dugan.  In a way, that's three on a match.  Therefore, it is bad luck.

1. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never - With 59% of the Flixster community not interested and a seething hatred showing on most of IMDb's message boards related to this movie, this unnecessary excuse for a concert film might be a huge contender for next year's Razzie Awards.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 10:39pm
On Take Me Home Tonight, I have to admit that i was kind of looking forward to that one. I got a bit of an Adventureland vibe from it, wich was even with Kirsten Stewarts twitchyness a very nice movie. I off course can't relate to the 80's theme of the movie (being born in 1989) but i can relate to the "fresh out of coledge and what the F**k will i do with my life"-theme the movie has. That and i've always found Topher Grace a very likeable actor.

As for the Bieber-flick, I am just hoping that he doesn't win the worst actor award. I've always kind of disliked it when they award the razzie to a "performance" in a documentary.

Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 12:31am

It's not impossible,but how many bad documentaries are made each year?Luckily one has mixed reviews.

Nonsense, a documentary is a filmgenre like any other and considering how much documentaries are released every year. I highly doubt that all of them are good (or even mediocre). The reason why bad documentaries never find the spotlight is because a documentary on it's own rarely finds the spotlight.

Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 6:53am

5. Hall Pass - I really don't wanna pay seven dollars to see a movie about Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis behaving badly.  It looks like they're in an offensive wet dream.

4. Take Me Home Tonight - When I first saw the trailer for this film, I asked myself, "What the bloody hell was that!?"  Despite having a throwback to the 80s, this film looks intensly stupid and out of control.

3. No Strings Attached - No matter how hard he tries, Ashton Kutcher can't seem to pull off a decent performance.  He's already slated for a Razzie nod for the movie 'Killers' and he thinks with this film, he can keep his career from going under.  If its Tomatometer rating and Metascore are low enough, it might motivate Razzie voters.

2. Just Go With It - You know how they say 'three on a match is bad luck'?  This movie stars Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston and its directed by Dennis Dugan.  In a way, that's three on a match.  Therefore, it is bad luck.

1. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never - With 59% of the Flixster community not interested and a seething hatred showing on most of IMDb's message boards related to this movie, this unnecessary excuse for a concert film might be a huge contender for next year's Razzie Awards.
5)Since Bill Hader and Andy Samberg have oficially become part of Apatow's team,Sudeikis is trying to get initiated as a Frat Pack Member.
4)If we have to choose between '80s remakes and sequel or movies that take place in the '80s...
3)Maybe Natalie will win a Razzie a year after winning an Oscar.
2)Nothing against Jennifer.Adam and Dennis are another issue.
1)A concert movie can't be good unless the artist has at least 5 albums.Justin won't sing his greatest hits...he'll sign all of his songs.If they weren't hits they must've been bad.

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 8:51am

Welcome Cartman.

A movie can't be nominated if it was direct to DVD.

Thank you.

I know that directo-to-DVD movies are exempt from consideration. Ong-Bak 3 was not a direct-to-DVD movie, though. And it's already on the 2011-list, so it has obviously been shown at theaters lately. ;)

Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:57am
Do any one of you want Ong Bak 3 to get nominated THAT badly?

Take Me Home Tonight and Hall Pass, we will have to wait for reviews on, while No Strings Attached, Just Go With It, and Never Say Never, I'm almost certain will get severely negative reviews.

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 11:35am

Do any one of you want Ong Bak 3 to get nominated THAT badly?

Honestly, no... Not really. If it got Razzie buzz it would probably attract more attention to itself. Attention that it most certainly does not deserve. ;)

Date Posted: January 17 2011 at 7:19pm
HeadRazzberry should have a subforum for 'No Strings Attached' sometime during the week.

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2011 at 12:33pm
Were is it?

HeadRAZZ is probably preparing for the Razzie Prevue Night tonight and putting together the final ballot based on our votes.  I for one fee The Dilemma should be on the list simply based on the reviews and the very unfunny trailer.  Also, if Vince Vaughn or Kevin James (who lends his voice to the upcoming movie The Zookeeper along with Adam Sandler) are in any other Razzie worthy movies, they can be nominated for this one, too.

I may cobble something together tomorrow.

Date Posted: January 18 2011 at 2:35pm
Just saw The Green Hornet, In the begining it felt a bit like they were just skiping over the backstory, it had a lot of typical Seth Rogan jokes and Jay Chou was sometimes a bit hard to understand. But all with all, it was still a nice little popcorn film. Better than i expected for a January release.

Date Posted: January 18 2011 at 8:06pm
In case anyone is interested, the Sundance Film Festival starts this Thursday and ends January 30 in Park City, Utah.

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2011 at 8:21pm
Yeah, I know, I promised to do it.  But you know, I'm trying to find the energy to put something up for The Dilemma, and it just doesn't really stir me up enough to do it.  It really says something when your movie sucks, but it doesn't suck enough for Razzie members to get excited about it.

If I go and see it, and decide it's worth it, I'll do it.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, we now have a Forum/Discussion on http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic4771_post38400.html#38400 -

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 8:04am
It's not that I'm not interested, it's just that I won't get to see any of those movies for at least a couple of months. Maybe even 2 years!  

In case anyone is interested, the Sundance Film Festival starts this Thursday and ends January 30 in Park City, Utah.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 12:11pm
No Strings is at 56% on RT on the moment -- which is good for an Ashton Kutcher-movie. It's apparantly the http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/ashton_kutcher/ - best reviewed movie Ashton Kutcher ever played in .

HeadRazzberry should have a subforum for 'No Strings Attached' sometime during the week.

-------------

Posted By: rocketsfan05
Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 1:02pm
"The best-reviewed movie Ashton Kutcher ever played in"?? That's not saying much, looking at the films he's been in. But hey, it's a rom-com. I'm not intended in it. We'll see how the target audience reacts.

-------------
sh*tty movies are the opiate of the masses.

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 4:54pm
That's really not saying much considering it's a good 40 hours before the movie's supposed to open. If it's below 60% before it's even released, and a fair number of reviews make up the score (taken the factors of 56), then there's a fair chance the review score could plummet by the time the theatres are through with it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 7:41pm
Well, it looks like HeadRAZZ put up a forum for The Dilemma, and it also looks like we're all clamoring for No Strings Attached. 

However, looking towards the future, director Christopher Nolan, who has wowed us with two excellent Batman movies, has decided to attempt to break the jinx of Catwoman.

As has been stated previously by HeadRAZZ and others, no one has been able to portray Catwoman in any theatrical release that hasn't been bad.  Halle Berry's Razzie came courtesy of one of the more spectacularly bad renditions of this character.

This time, http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17140620?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1 - it's Anne Hathaway as Catwoman , and although I usually wouldn't have too much of a problem with that except that Anne Hathaway, like Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry, is NOT Eartha Kitt.  I mean, how many people still feel Eartha Kitt made the best Catwoman?  I do.  However, Hathaway is coming off a rather, well, off performance as the White Queen in Alice in Wonderland.  Taking into consideration that the White Queen is probably one of the lousiest characters in either of the Wonderland books, I could blame Tim Burton for choosing that character more than Hathaway's acting, but still, it was an okay performance at best.  Catwoman is a strong character, in contrast, and is also an action character, something that would be very different from anything Hathaway has played previously.

I was certain Nolan would bring in Catwoman, though, after he cleared the way with the death of Rachel Dawes.  I felt Batman needed someone to help him through healing and restoration, and I feel Catwoman is the only woman in the comic book he has a relationship with who can understand him and pull him through, as well as give him more grief in the process.

Nolan is also attempting to bring Bane in as the second villain.  Concerning Bane in Batman & Robin, I will just say a character with the same name and look was only stuffed into that movie because Bane suddenly became popular in the comic book.  Otherwise, Joel Schumacher failed to even remotely understand the character, let alone have him portrayed well onscreen. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_%28comics%29 - Bane in the comic book , in both intelligence and exceptional strength, is very much the equal of Batman, and is credited as being the villain to literally break Batman's back.  In the current age of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebroplasty - vertebroplasties , I have to wonder if Batman will need the special suit to compensate for his back injuries in this storyline.  I don't know how many vertebroplasties a single person may have.  I also have to wonder if Nolan will bring in all the various tie-ins, such as Bane's addiction to Venom or his association with Ra's au Ghul (let me just say don't count him dead just because of the first movie), that are in the comic.  Those two things aside, considering how well Nolan has portrayed the other villains, I feel he will do the same with Bane as well as Catwoman.

Nolan said this will be his last Batman film, so let's see if he can shrug off the jinx and put Catwoman and Bane up onscreen as the strong characters that they are.

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 8:15pm
I have faith in Nolan with this rebooting of Catwoman and Bane. But after the way both characters were dragged through the mud the way they were (Catwoman in the Halle Berry movie, and Bane in "Batman & Robin") it wouldn't be THAT hard to come up with something better.

PS: In my opinion, there has NEVER been a good live action take on Catwoman. The best version of the character was from the animated series from the 90s.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2011 at 9:54pm
I don't see much point in putting up a forum for No Strings Attached...it is the same movie Astonhole Kutcher has made 10 times before. How many more times are we going to discuss it?

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2011 at 4:21am
UPDATE:

Worst Picture: Season of the Witch,  The Dilemma

Worst Actor: Nicolas Cage / Season of the Witch,  Vince Vaughn and Kevin James / The Dilemma

Worst Supporting Actor: Ron Perlmen, Stephen Campbell Moore, Robert Sheehan, Ulrich Thomsen, Stephen Graham, and Christopher Lee / Season of the Witch,  Channing Tatum / The Dilemma

Worst Supporting Actress: Claire Foy / Season of the Witch,  Winona Ryder, Jennifer Connelly, and Queen Latifh / The Dilemma

Worst Screen Couple: Nicolas Cage and either Ron Perlmen or Claire Foy / Season of the Witch,  Vince Vaughn and Kevin James / The Dilemma

Worst Dirctor: Dominic Sena / Season of the Witch, Ron Howard / The Dilemma   

Worst Screenplay: Season of the Witch (written by Bragi F. Schut), The Dilemma (written by Allan Loeb)

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Date Posted: January 20 2011 at 6:31am
I just posted it because it amuses me that when a movie with Ashton is at 50%, It's already his best reviewed. I don't believe that the reviews will remain mixed.

That's really not saying much considering it's a good 40 hours before the movie's supposed to open. If it's below 60% before it's even released, and a fair number of reviews make up the score (taken the factors of 56), then there's a fair chance the review score could plummet by the time the theatres are through with it.

The worst reviewed film on the moment seems to be a Korean film called The Housemaid (which seems to be mostly hated by critics because it is a remake of a superior original), No chance of that ever getting on the Razzie radar (being that it´s foreign, limited and not on the eligible list).

edit: Nevermind, The Housemaid seems to have recieved an enormous boost from critics

Date Posted: January 20 2011 at 6:36am
Vits, There is no REAL lead performance in the case of Another Year, It´s more of an ensemble work.

As for True Grit, Hailee Steinfeld is clearly the lead actress in that one but the producers are lobbying her into supporting, because there she will have the best chance of winning.

Date Posted: January 20 2011 at 10:10am
Really? Oh man! I'm so tired of defending awards and then they do these things. I still don't know if Kate Winslet was lead or supporting in THE READER! By the way, you can now vote for JoBlo's Golden Schmoes Awards. They're the only public voting awards where 80-90% of the nominees are the same as at the Oscars. 

I'm not quite sure on Anne Hathaway as CATWOMAN. She has the perfect body for it, but her face is just too sweet. Maybe they can do a make-over? I did believe her as a semi-bad*ss in "RACHEL" GETTING MARRIED.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2011 at 8:05pm

'No Strings Attached' has a Tomatometer rating of 52% and a Metascore of 55%.  Roger Ebert gave it two stars out of four and called it 'a PG-13 playing dress-up' ( http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110119/REVIEWS/110119982 - LINK ).  Peter Travers also gave it two stars out of four calling it a 'cliche grab bag' and calling Portman and Kutcher 'a cute mismatch' ( http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/no-strings-attached-20110119 - LINK ).  I thought for sure we had a big Razzie prospect on our hands.  Apparently, I was wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 4:46pm
Since no one is talking, I guess I should post this:   http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/warner-bros-wants-to - http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/warner-bros-wants-to   and this:  http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/clint-eastwood-to-direct - http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/clint-eastwood-to-direct

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 4:56pm
Someone else must've put Warner Bros and Clint Eastwood up to that... DIDN'T THEY?!Thumbs Down

And if No Strings Attached is merely average, and The Way Back was good for a January release, there's still one more weekend to dread until February.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 5:29pm
Oh, *bleep*. Look at this: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73390 - http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73390

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 6:22pm
A remake of Annie, eh? Put it on our bomb warning list!Exclamation

Apparently, Annie was the least of five evils compared to the finalists for Worst Picture of 1982. Wasn't Butterfly another failed broadway to film musical adaptation from that very same year?

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 6:31pm
Clint Eastwood and Beyonce remaking "A Star Is Born"!? Willow Smith as "Annie"?! I'm feeling that rage again!

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 6:57pm
Why do they think Willow Smith can play ANNIE if she isn't a ginger?I'm not being racist.It's just if a character is written to look a certain way it should look that way.That's why I'm against Ryan Reynolds playing GREEN LANTERN.

I hated the James Mason & Judy Garland version of A STAR IS BORN.It was the same movie but it had musical numbers that seemed never ending.I have yet to see the Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson version but I've heard it's even worse.I know it's Clint Eastwood but everyone has a low point at their career.Most of you think it was the average HEREAFTER.And I thought it was BREEZY(which I gave 5/10).But he might still direct a bad movie.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2011 at 7:36pm
I actually don't mind them remaking Annie all that much. Frankly I despise the movie/play/story so thoroughly that running it into the ground doesn't bother me a bit...and while we are at it, bring on the remakes of the most wildly overrated movie in Hollywood history: Pretty Woman.

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 5:20am

And if No Strings Attached is merely average, and The Way Back was good for a January release, there's still one more weekend to dread until February.

My guess is that it will be From Prada to Nada, apparantly some people still think that rich spoiled brats are funny instead of anoying (what they exually are).

The premise has also been done so many times before. It's Material Girls all over again.

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 3:05pm
It seems we were a bit to quick to take The Green Hornet of our radar, it didn't do well with audiences at all. Making an enormous drop in it's second weekend.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/box-office-natalie-portmans-no-strings-attached-hooks-up-no-1-friday - Link to the article

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 3:45pm

It seems we were a bit to quick to take The Green Hornet of our radar, it didn't do well with audiences at all. Making an enormous drop in it's second weekend.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/box-office-natalie-portmans-no-strings-attached-hooks-up-no-1-friday - Link to the article
I don't think there is anything surprising here...the Green Hornet isn't among the most popular of the super heros...my own favoritism not withstanding. Pretty much everyone who wanted to see this movie saw it early on, and the more hardcore Hornet fans like me stayed away. Based on everything I've heard, it isn't the kind of movie people are likely to go back and see 3 or 4 times, so the appeal was completely front-loaded.

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 3:55pm
I never heard of him until the movie was announced!

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 4:24pm

and while we are at it, bring on the remakes of the most wildly overrated movie in Hollywood history: Pretty Woman.
Well, saturnwatcher, now that you mentioned it, I'm sure there are studio heads who are planning that remake as we speak!

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 6:10pm
Jessica Simpson denies the 'Pretty Woman' remake rumors and as far as I know, there isn't a remake in the works.  I don't see anything on IMDbPro that indicates that (for now).

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2011 at 10:56pm

Jessica Simpson denies the 'Pretty Woman' remake rumors and as far as I know, there isn't a remake in the works.  I don't see anything on IMDbPro that indicates that (for now).
Keyword in that last sentence: "for now". Give it anywhere between now and the next 5 years. It is only a matter of time before it happens.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:13am
HeadRazzberry's putting up a subforum for 'The Rite'.  It stars Anthony Hopkins (who won an Oscar for 'The Silence of the Lambs' and was listed on the Razzie nominating ballot for 'The Wolfman'), is directed by Mikael Hafstrom (who directed the critically acclaimed '1408'), is written by Michael Petroni (who wrote the screenplays for 'Narnia 3', 'The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys', and 'Queen of the Damned'), and is based on a book by Matt Baglio.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:03pm
Does Jessica Simpson have plans for anything?

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:19pm

Does Jessica Simpson have plans for anything?
Good question. Not sure if she has an answer.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:52pm
UPDATE:

Worst Picture: Season of the Witch,  The Dilemma, The Rite

Worst Actor: Nicolas Cage / Season of the Witch,  Vince Vaughn and Kevin James / The Dilemma, Anthony Hopkins / The Rite

Worst Supporting Actor: Ron Perlmen, Stephen Campbell Moore, Robert Sheehan, Ulrich Thomsen, Stephen Graham, and Christopher Lee / Season of the Witch,  Channing Tatum / The Dilemma, Ciaran Hinds, Toby Jones, Chris Marquette, Rutger Hauer, and Franco Nero / The Rite

Worst Supporting Actress: Claire Foy / Season of the Witch,  Winona Ryder, Jennifer Connelly, and Queen Latifh / The Dilemma,  Maris Grazia Cucinotta and Alice Braga / The Rite

Worst Screen Couple: Nicolas Cage and either Ron Perlmen or Claire Foy / Season of the Witch,  Vince Vaughn and Kevin James / The Dilemma

Worst Cast Ensemble: The Dilemma

Worst Squel, Prequel, Remake, or Rip-off: The Rite (It's like the Exocist to me, but it is also based on a book.)

Worst Dirctor: Dominic Sena / Season of the Witch, Ron Howard / The Dilemma, Mikael Hafstrom / The Rite  

Worst Screenplay: Season of the Witch (written by Bragi F. Schut), The Dilemma (written by Allan Loeb), The Rite (Screeplay by Matt Baglio and Michael Petroni, based on a novel by Matt Bagilo)

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 12:56pm
Oiram, couldn't you just edit your original post from time to time (or start a seperate forum/topic for it) instead of posting every update seperately on here. I am kind of afraid that this list will be kind of large by the end of the year.

Franco Nero is in this movie. I am kind of intrested in seeing it now. The man is a cult icon.

Originally posted by oiram

Franco Nero / The Rite

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 2:53pm
Truth is, I mostly find alot of these bad movies to be uninteresting to talk about, unless something really grasps my attention. Until then, however, I need something to keep myself active, and making a list seems to be the only way I can think of to do just that.

Oiram, couldn't you just edit your original post from time to time (or start a seperate forum/topic for it) instead of posting every update seperately on here. I am kind of afraid that this list will be kind of large by the end of the year.

Franco Nero is in this movie. I am kind of intrested in seeing it now. The man is a cult icon.

Originally posted by oiram

Franco Nero / The Rite

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 7:01pm
There is an old adage that you never believe any rumor until someone involved denies it. There wouldn't be much point in Jessica Simpson specifically denying rumors about a Pretty Woman remake unless someone had approached her with it, which, as Burn noted, means it is just a matter of time.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:39pm

There is an old adage that you never believe any rumor until someone involved denies it. There wouldn't be much point in Jessica Simpson specifically denying rumors about a Pretty Woman remake unless someone had approached her with it, which, as Burn noted, means it is just a matter of time.
Yeah, there's also Internet rumors going around about there being a "Matrix 4 and 5". Nothing officially confirmed yet, but if Warner Bros. catches wind of fans getting excited over the idea of more sequels, I'm sure they will be more than happy to make them a reality.

-------------

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 1:10pm
So your thoughts on the nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards...

P.S. I think we have a new contender for the 32nd Razzie Awards - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/everything_youve_got/ - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/everything_youve_got/  (the film How Do You Know, or 1983 Best Director Oscar winner James L Brooks just ran his career into the ground). 

6 posts until 100

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

Boring. Any and all surprises seems to have been surgically removed well ahead of the announcement. There were a few movies I would have expected to get nominations if you'd asked me a few months ago (Shutter Island, The Ghost Writer, Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim), but when they didn't get nominated for Golden Globes you could basically forget about Oscar chances for them at the same time. It would have been surprising if they had been nominated for Oscar, with that in mind, but it didn't happen, so basically there were no surprises at all this year. Completely sterile and utterly boring is my first reaction.

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 1:37pm

I think we have a new contender for the 32nd Razzie Awards - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/everything_youve_got/ - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/everything_youve_got/  (the film How Do You Know, or 1983 Best Director Oscar winner James L Brooks just ran his career into the ground).

I haven't seen many of his movies but I can tell his success must've been luck.He seems to write sitcoms rather than movies.I do like that the characters say what they're thinking when they shouldn't.Anyway that's technically from last year so it can't be nominated,right?

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 1:47pm

I haven't seen many of his movies but I can tell his success must've been luck.He seems to write sitcoms rather than movies.I do like that the characters say what they're thinking when they shouldn't.Anyway that's technically from last year so it can't be nominated,right?

He did write As Good as it Gets, which is one of my all-time favorite movies, and he's also the writer of The Simpsons, so I'd say there's no denying his talent. But if history's showed us anything, it's that no one's infallible. Considering the talent involved (him, Jack Nicholson, etc.) I'm surprised how poor it's seeming to be.

But yeah, it was released in USA last year, so if it was a Razzie contender then that ship's already sailed.

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 9:08pm

January has brought us the terrible The Dilemma and Dominic Sena's atrocity against humanity Season of the Witch. But the situation is quickly headed out of the frying pan and into the fire. I'm expecting these movies to fail (think of it like a storm watch, essentially a "Bomb Watch"). Movies with the Warning symbol Exclamation are almost guaranteed to fail ("Bomb Warning"). Movies with Yin-Yangs Ying Yang have 50/50 chances of success or failure.

Justin Bieber: Never Say Never Exclamation
It's another teenybopper concert movie. Men across America harbor an unworldly hatred of Justin Bieber, and recollecting on two of these for Hannah Montana and The Jonas Brothers in 2009, I'm starting to get surprised Aaron Carter didn't do one of these back in 2001.

Just Go With It
Dennis Dugan has a long history with us that includes I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007) and Grown-Ups (2010). Based solely on his name at the helm, I'd expect this to go the way of The Dilemma... no no no. Worse!

Big Mommas: Like Father, Like SonExclamation
Big Momma's House 2 was nominated for some of the 2006 awards. The director, John Whitesell, released Deck The Halls at the end of that very same year.

I Am Number Four
DJ Caruso also directed Taking Lives (Worst of 2004, #19) and Two For the Money (Worst of 2005, #24). Michael Bay's also producing it, and look what he did with that remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street last spring!

Unknown Ying Yang
Formerly known as "Unknown White Male", this conspiracy/agency themed action thriller's director Jaume Collet-Serra caught our attention with House of Wax [remake] (Worst of 2005, #5) and Orphan (2009). However, many people have argued that those two movies were the least of many evils, so it's unclear whether this will fail or not.

Drive Angry
It stars Nicolas Cage, the director has nothing notable to his name, and it's in 3D.

The Adjustment Bureau Ying Yang
The director also made Paycheck (Worst of 2003, #9) and Next (Worst of 2007, #16), but perhaps Matt Damon will save it. I have a make-or-break expectation for this one.

Battle: Los Angeles
The sequential release date of this one aggravates matters, because look at what happened with the release scheme of The Omen [remake] on 6-06-006 at 6:06 and 6 seconds. And the director made another of 2006's worst films, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning.

Beastly
I don't know if an amateur director can pull off combining Beauty and the Beast with modern day NYC. Especially if it stars Vanessa "Senior Year, Thunderbirds" Hudgens and Mary Kate Olsen.

Red Riding Hood Ying Yang
In the spring of 2010, Ridley Scott botched up his take on Robin Hood. Director Catherine Hardwicke directed Thirteen, one of the best films of 2003, but then her career subsequently went downhill.

Sucker Punch Ying Yang
Again, look at how the director's work has changed in quality over time. But I have little else to base it off of, and this is another maker-or-breaker.

Movies from the spring quarter coming tomorrow at the earliest.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 10:14pm

The Best Picture category has become a joke...How do you realistically dig up 10 nominees in a year where there weren't 3 deserving. BTW, why did they even bother nominating more than 1 film in the Best Animated Feature length film category? Since Toy Story 3 pulled down a Best Picture nomination, isn't it obviously a bit of a shoe in? I don't think you could win much in Vegas putting money on it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 5:08am

The Best Picture category has become a joke...How do you realistically dig up 10 nominees in a year where there weren't 3 deserving. BTW, why did they even bother nominating more than 1 film in the Best Animated Feature length film category? Since Toy Story 3 pulled down a Best Picture nomination, isn't it obviously a bit of a shoe in? I don't think you could win much in Vegas putting money on it.
Pretty much. Back when there were 5 Best Picture nods, there were usually only 2 or 3 filler spots for movies you KNEW had no chance of winning, now there's 7 or 8!

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 5:54am

He did write As Good as it Gets, which is one of my all-time favorite movies, and he's also the writer of The Simpsons, so I'd say there's no denying his talent. But if history's showed us anything, it's that no one's infallible. Considering the talent involved (him, Jack Nicholson, etc.) I'm surprised how poor it's seeming to be.

I saw it and gave it 7/10.However is was also written like a sitcom.I know he writes for THE SIMPSONS.That confirms what I'm saying.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 6:51am
I heard about the Oscar nominations, and in case you're interested, I posted my 'Top 5 People the Oscars Need to Apologize To' on another forum on this site.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 7:28am
GTAhater, I really can't understand why anyone thought it was a smart idea to make another Big Momma movie. I can't even remember when the last one came out (which must be a very bad sign)

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 1:47pm
That Big Momma movie looks like it could be a wild card for next year's Razzies.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 4:43pm

That Big Momma movie looks like it could be a wild card for next year's Razzies.
More like a sure thing, at least for categories like Worst Sequel, Worst Actor & Supporting Actor, and Worst Screenplay.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 6:16pm
Martin Lawrence has to stop making those 'Big Momma' movies.  They're not good for his career.  As far as drag roles go, I prefer Tyler Perry's Madea, but I would take Big Momma over Eddie Murphy's Rasputia.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 6:28pm

Martin Lawrence has to stop making those 'Big Momma' movies.  They're not good for his career.

And what is?I thought he was funny as hell in the first one but in the second one he was doing the same.And in BLACK KNIGHT.And a little in BAD BOYS 1 & 2.And a racist version of it in NATIONAL SECURITY.Wait!Why is he famous again?

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 6:59pm

And what is?I thought he was funny as hell in the first one but in the second one he was doing the same.And in BLACK KNIGHT.And a little in BAD BOYS 1 & 2.And a racist version of it in NATIONAL SECURITY.Wait!Why is he famous again?
He's your typical comedian who got a TV sitcom and then went on to play the same character in every movie he does. It's what happens to like 80 to 90% of all comedians once they move on from stand-up comedy.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window