Print Page | Close Window

Forum Members' Discussion of GNOMEO & JULIET

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Discussion & Add'l INFO on GNOMEO & JULIET
Forum Discription: If This ISN'T the Worst Animated Movie of 2011...OY!
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4812
Printed Date: October 25 2014 at 11:47am

Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of GNOMEO & JULIET
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Forum Members' Discussion of GNOMEO & JULIET
Date Posted: February 07 2011 at 12:43pm
HERE YA GO, GANG -- HAVE at THESE HIDEOUS GNOMES with TEETH GNASHING...  

TO SEE OUR TAKE on THIS FILM, http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic4813_post39222.html#39222 - .  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: February 07 2011 at 12:48pm
Am I the only one who thinks this will be the least terrible film this week (not saying that it won't be bad, but it does seem "the least bad)?

I mean we have a misguided swords & sandals with an unclear premise (The Eagle), a concertfilm which only purpose is to earn cash from it's stars tween fans (Never Say Never) and a film headlining two past razzie ofenders and directed by another one (Just Go With It

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Not to worry -- Those other films you mentioned will have a shot at getting Forums later this week...  

-------------

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 5:48am
I'm guessing it's gonna be mediocre. I mean, this G-rated movie is made by Disney's mature studio, Touchstone. I know why though.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Posted By: Random Poster
Date Posted: February 09 2011 at 6:09pm
Hey, hold on a minute. A Touchstone film rated G? That can't be right.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 12:03am
So technically it's a Disney-film. It's never smart to dumb down Shakepeare for children, unless they do it cleverly like with The Lion King.

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:44am
According the the trailers, yes. Rated G. Because Miramax was bought by another company and was booted off of the Magic Kingdom, so Touchstone bought rights to the movie.  

Originally posted by Random Poster

Originally posted by Grounder the Critic

I'm guessing it's gonna be mediocre. I mean, this G-rated movie is made by Disney's mature studio, Touchstone. I know why though.

Hey, hold on a minute. A Touchstone film rated G? That can't be right.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: February 12 2011 at 12:53pm
This appears to be the Razzies's first mistake this year. I mean, they give this movie a forum, and it ended up not being that bad.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 9:04am
Just out of curiousity, Has an animated film ever made it on a nomination ballot (in the Worst Picture-categorie, i mean)

Vits, have you seen the movie already. If not, how do you know if it's good then?

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 9:23am
Animated films haven't made the ballot since Eight Crazy Nights (2002). And if Vits hasn't seen the movie, he still has credence as far as the reviews are concerned.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 10:02am
That's right.Everytime I say a movie is good or bad I mean the general concensus,rather than saying "I think is...".

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 10:11am
Vits, Right, but don't you find it a bit harsh if you say that it's a MISTAKE of the razzies to put it on their radar.

Date Posted: February 16 2011 at 10:52am
I didn't mean it like that.The forums are made for movies they assume will be bad.Sometimes they end up being bad,and some don't.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 2:03pm
Just saw it: There were too many lame puns, the songs felt very detached from the story, and some scenes were no more than pointless filler. Shakespeare must be turning in his grave! 

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 20 2011 at 9:24pm
If you stop and think about it, Hollywood owes Shakespeare about a billion dollars worth of royalities and back-pay for all the adaptations they have done of his work, both the good and the bad.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You're kind of missing the point here -- Hollywood doesn't love doing Shakespeare rip-offs 'cause they admire his work -- It's precisely because he's long dead, doesn't have a WGA card and doesn't need to be paid (unlike some living writer who might have -- God forbid -- ideas!). 

One of my own Personal Pet Peeves used to be that, when movies "freely adapt" the work of someone like Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Victor Hugo and their ilk, they almost never credit the original source of the material. But with the crappy quality of much of what's lately beeen perpetrated upon what was once considered "great literature," maybe it's just as well that they don't fob off any of the blame on Ol' Bill and His Literary Giant Pals... 

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: SchwenLarson
Date Posted: April 19 2011 at 4:07pm
"If you stop and think about it, Hollywood owes Shakespeare about a billion dollars worth of royalities and back-pay for all the adaptations they have done of his work, both the good and the bad."

I totally agree with this.  When I saw the previews, I thought it did NOT look like a winner, to say the least.  LOL

Posted By: No60MdiS
Date Posted: May 03 2011 at 10:36pm
Love this movie so much!!

-------------
Norma R. Madison

Posted By: Lisa_Morris
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 10:42pm
What a joke. It made me laugh and roll on the floor. Nice one!

Posted By: lancelopez
Date Posted: May 27 2011 at 2:34am
I've seen this movie.. It was bad! I didn't like it. It's like an old cartoon movie.

Posted By: applesold
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:58am
I actually liked the little things here and there that were based off the original Romeo & Juliet -- They made some of them subtle, which I liked. A lot of people might not even have noticed some of the hints of Shakespeare.

-------------

Posted By: alexaf
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 9:37am
My six year old gave this a big thumbs down -- She found the hallway outside the movie theater more entertaining!  

-------------

Posted By: Areyouserious?
Date Posted: July 07 2011 at 8:13pm
I watched Gnomeo and Juliet at my dentists office. I met an eleven year old more eager to go through on e of the most unpleasant part of adolescent, braces, than watch anymore of this movie.

-------------
I will be famous:) Till then I'll prove how ridiculous hollywood is.

Posted By: terrysp
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 6:50am
This movie is more of a love story, and yet it is a cartoon / animated. *weird plot*

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 1:10pm
Time to review another one. I almost didn't review this because of how forgettable it was. But, it's my duty.

The good:

Patrick Stewart as William Shakespeare: Stewart is easily the best part of the movie. He's hilarious as the bard.

The bad:

The voice acting from everyone that isn't Patrick Stewart: Picking out one person out of the mis-cast voice cast is nigh impossible. They're all too bland to pick out one in terms of badness.

The WTF casting: All the casting is surreal. Michael Caine as Juliet's dad and Ozzy Osbourne as a fawn are weird choices, but the winner in terms of WTF-ness is Jason Statham as the villainous gnome Tybalt. What's the best action star of the past decade doing here?

The ugly:

Mankini Gnome: Seriously, why was this in the movie? What was the point of a gnome in a mankini? He scared my niece.

Well that's my review of a very forgettable movie. There's not much more to say. If the review seems empty, it's because it's so forgettable. It's so forgettable, that I'm running of things to say. Grade: C+

Next-up: Green Lantern

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

...but the winner in terms of WTF-ness is Jason Statham as the villainous gnome Tybalt. What's the best action star of the past decade doing here?
Eventually,action stars have to make fun of themselves in kiddie movies.

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2011 at 2:51pm
I just saw it and gave it 6/10.

Fun fact about the names:in spanish,ROMEO is spelled the same but pronounced differently.Here,it's pronounced the same way as in english,because otherwise,we would accidentally say "I don't pee".

-------------

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: August 27 2011 at 6:41pm
Every studio seems to want that Best Animated Feature Oscar, but let's face it, only Pixar or Dreamworks are going to get it when these kinds of movies keep getting made.

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Posted By: pheromore
Date Posted: October 16 2011 at 4:26pm
I s-o-o-o-o-o-o-o love this movie!! I like this romantic version rather than the Romeo and Juliet of

Shakespeare. Clap  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So, you're the one!  

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2013 at 5:29pm
You know what's worse than your PC breaking down? That you take it to have it fixed and the technician insists on doing additional stuff, even if you say "No". Luckily, mine's finally fixed.

On this episodes, I compare this movie to other ROMEO & JULIET adaptations (skip to 07:16):

[TUBE]E1_I2V9NNI8[/TUBE]

-------------

Print Page | Close Window