Print Page | Close Window

Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on ARTHUR (2011)
Forum Discription: Where to FInd/Participate in our DISCUSSION as well as LINKS to Other Info on the Film...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4944
Printed Date: September 23 2014 at 11:45am

Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 9:53am
LIKE the RAZZIE®  "WINNING" 1988 SEQUEL to the 1981 ORIGINAL ARTHUR, THIS FILM IS APPARENTLY "ON the ROCKS." HERE's WHERE to GET THOSE ROCKS OFF YER CHEST by POSTING YER OPINION of the 2011 REMAKE...   

AND HERE's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic4945_post40553.html - to READ the OFFICIAL RAZZIE® TAKE on ARTHUR (2011)...  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 10:54am
R.T. gave this 20%:"An irritating,unnecessary remake that demonstrates the libertine charm Russel Brand exudes in supporting roles turn against him when he's star of the show".

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:35am
You of all people should have known that this was going to be a stinker when they put Star Wars and Batman references in the trailer (Seriously, those have been DONE TO DEATH!)

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:37am
Yeah, say what you want about not liking the very first "Arthur" movie, but the sequel made the original look like an even bigger masterpiece. And this remake seems like it will make us love the original movie even more as well!

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 12:19pm
Looking at the Star Wars and Batman references in the commercials, I found that it somewhat reminded me of Seltzerberg.  It is, after all, another "Remake Movie."

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 1:48pm
Knew this would be on here.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 5:04pm
I think I made that point before. Rather than try to be funny by itself, it's like "Hey, remember that other great movie that wasn't "Arthur", look, we made a reference to it! Ha-ha!".

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Looking at the Star Wars and Batman references in the commercials, I found that it somewhat reminded me of Seltzerberg.  It is, after all, another "Remake Movie."

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: April 07 2011 at 10:54pm

Well done Mr. Brand... You have now earned yourself a seat on Razzie Award Airlines Flight 001 to next year's ceremony. See you in the 'Worst Actor' category (hopefully)...

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 3:38am
It is sailing along at 21% on RT and could fall further. The critics rave:

There are so many reasons to dislike Arthur that it's hard to pick just one.--Dallas Morning News

Never have I needed a drink so badly. --NY Times

A symbol of Hollywood at its most creatively bankrupt.--Metromix.com

Why? --The Movie Minute

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 8:16am
Roger Ebert gave this ***/****:"Russell Brand takes on a thankless task and earns at least some thanks..."  

-------------

Posted By: 27years
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 11:50am
I like Russell Brand but not as an actor. I know his humour isnt everyones cup of tea but I find him hilarious when he is just himself. I reiterate about not liking him as an actor though!!

Posted By: DefMan
Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 2:42pm
For some reason, I was a fan of Brand in "Get Him to the Greek" and felt that he played an alcoholic musician really well there. 
However, the concept of Brand as an alcoholic billionaire just feels like bad typecasting. I'm not in love with the Dudley Moore version, but I'm really wondering what was the inspiration to remake it? What was so original about putting Brand into a role he did better a year ago?
It seems weird, but with this and "Hop," I just got a quick overdose of fatigue of him and wouldn't mind not seeing him in movies for two years.

Also, I can't help but feel that since this movie has a way different feel and sense of everything than the Moore version, that maybe it just happened to be another movie about a billionaire playboy who just happened to be named Arthur, then maybe the comparison wouldn't be so harsh. It would be bad, but the choice to point out the numerous blatant differences would be more acceptable. It may get compared to "Arthur," though I see it more as the next version of "Mr. Deeds."
Boy, this movie shot itself in the foot.

Also, after "Sex and the City 2" proved how diluted rich people can be in movies, what are the odds that this will restore any faith in the wealthy community.

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 2:54pm
Considering that the "wealthy community" is buying off politicians and having them tax the poor and middle class more so they get away without having to pay any taxes of their own, I'm pretty sure the rich will continue to be the most hated of social classes.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 2:55pm
Ebert's comments sound like a "pity review," if you ask me... 

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 3:56pm
Richard Roeper gave it a B:"It would be impossible to top the original ARTHUR but this modern version is a consistently funny and sweet if not overly inspired remake".

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The limp-d--- remake of 1981's ARTHUR- starring Russell Brand in the happy-drunk role indelibly created by Dudley Moore - sounds promising, but it ends in disaster".
Originally posted by Michaels

Sounds like a "pity review," if you ask me...
Maybe it is.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 5:12pm
Ah, Peter Travers' review -- now that's more like it!  

Originally posted by Vits

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The limp-d--- remake of 1981's ARTHUR- starring Russell Brand in the happy-drunk role indelibly created by Dudley Moore - sounds promising, but it ends in disaster".

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 6:52pm
First, welcome to the board, DefMan.  

Now, to answer your question, Hollywouldn't has adopted a policy of taking the cheap and easy road rather than taking a chance on trying much of anything new. The script is already more or less written, and all it costs to bring in a couple of bright chimpanzees to modify it slightly is a bunch of bananas. The studios have such a low opinion of us that they figure we'd rather watch a rehash of something we've already seen than allow ourselves to be intellectually challenged by original material. In essence, they think we are a bunch of sheep who will endlessly fork over our cash to watch the same thing over and over.  

Originally posted by DefMan

I'm not in love with the Dudley Moore version, but I'm really wondering what was the inspiration to remake it?

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: April 08 2011 at 9:21pm
I pretty much agree with saturnwatcher. As everyone here has been saying, the only thing "new" about this remake is that it's now jam-packed with modern day pop culture references. 

What makes it any different from being a big budget Seltzerberg movie? Not much!  

-------------

Posted By: DaveThePhotoGuy
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 4:08am
This movie sucks the sweat from a dead man's balls...then asks for seconds!  

And Russel Brand is about as funny as getting an arrow through your neck..then finding out there
is a gas bill tied to it.  

-------------
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode

Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 5:20am
Good one! Clap  LOL  

Originally posted by DaveThePhotoGuy

Russel Brand is about as funny as getting an arrow through your neck..then finding out there
is a gas bill tied to it.

-------------

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: April 09 2011 at 7:28am
At least Russell Brand was funny in Despicable Me and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. But I still don't like the guy...  

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Posted By: No60MdiS
Date Posted: May 02 2011 at 11:25pm
wooohoooo.. Star Wars.. !!! I love it!!

-------------
Norma R. Madison

Posted By: farecat
Date Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:41pm
Too bad. I thought Brand was on a serious roll.

Posted By: richnicol
Date Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:47am
Awful awful film - the references to Star Wars for example and with Brand as lead man we all knew it was going to be shockingly bad. I cant believe i wasted my money going to see this film!

Posted By: tomross
Date Posted: May 07 2011 at 7:04pm
I really do like Russell Brand, he was good in Despicable Me & Hop, but Arther is just a bomb,  It was hard not to walk out of the place!  I sucked it up till the end but I agree that it should win the Razzie Award :)

-------------
http://www.blackfridayreport.com - Black Friday

Posted By: sharondiskin
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 4:42am
I have not seen it yet but the tralers look good and a few clips I have seen look funny

Sharon 

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:34am
Originally posted by tomross

I agree that it should win the Razzie Award :)
Which one(s)?

-------------

Posted By: sallyliao
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:07am
Looking at the Star Wars and Batman references in the commercials, I found this somewhat reminded me of Seltzerberg.  It is, after all, another "Remake Movie!"  

-------------

Posted By: AJ Fox
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 9:24am
Sorry guys but I can't stand Russel Brand, never have done and probably never will. His humour just doesn't grab me. As for Arthur 2011, I was (and still am) a massive fan of the original (giving my age away now) 

-------------
http://funnyquotesz.com - Funny Quotes
http://astrologicalsignsz.com - Astrological Signs

Posted By: NatalieJoy
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 11:54pm
I find Russel Brand funny.

Posted By: nellyg
Date Posted: May 12 2011 at 10:57pm
I was actually hoping this would be the best comedy this year, but I have to say, it wasn't. Shocked I mean, the movie had some funny moments, but I'd seen them all before the movie came out -- in the trailer. I think this is just a bad remake of the 1981 movie with Dudley Moore. 

-------------
http://www.realestateproperty.ca - Toronto homes

Posted By: princesssakura
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 1:18am
It's a fact that all remakes suffer from critical comparison. Dudley Moore was awesome in the original movie, and Russell Brand will always be compared to him. A lot of people didn't like the remake, and also didn't like Brand's brand of "comedy." Well, I guess that's the price remakes have to pay. 

-------------
http://www.divorceinontario.ca - divorce in Ontario

Posted By: JasmineJ
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:44am
I agree with princesssakura, I also don't like the remake. . .

-------------

Posted By: JT4123
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:33pm
Ok, I simply had to register to the forum for once and let if off my chest...

I almost hate myself for wasting 2 hours of my life watching this painful remake. I would loved to have gotten my money back. What an unforgivable waste of my time that was Dead... I would rather had gone to a pub and drunk the money than seeing it. 

I have to confess that I really love the 1981 Arther and as far as Dudley Moore is concerned I do not believe anyone could have played the roll better than him. 

I had to go home and watch the original just to come my soul... Tongue      

Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:39pm
Welcome to the board, and I hope you will offer your views on other films as well. You are correct on this one. It was a film that left us wishing we were drunker than the main character. That would have made it somewhat painless, even considering the problems associated with waking up the next morning.

-------------

Posted By: pompapah
Date Posted: May 26 2011 at 7:25am
Ask yourself this: What would you think if you'd seen the new version first?  

Although no one could resist loving Dudley Moore...  

Posted By: ecigs
Date Posted: June 01 2011 at 11:34am
Russell Brand being an actor is cool... I like it.

Posted By: Annyl
Date Posted: June 01 2011 at 10:58pm
And this remake seems like it will make us love the original movie even more as well!

Posted By: helen21stc
Date Posted: June 09 2011 at 3:25am
Whilst it has a few moments, most of Arthur didn't work for me. I can't make up my mind whether I like Russell Brand as a comedian or not - he's certainly got some originality, and his delivery is very quick fire which appeals to me -- but a lot of it's just not funny. 

The movie is certainly memorable - unfortunately - but it's the director's job to get the performances from the actors, and I'm sure Brand could have been far better if he'd been handled right. Apparently, he's very unpredictable and doesn't take direction well, but so many brilliant people are like that and a film director should be capable of handling this type of person, as well as the Helen Mirrens of the film world.

Posted By: kirstenplotkin
Date Posted: June 16 2011 at 1:01am
I saw the original with Dudley Moore when it was first released. I thought then it was a very average movie.  I was amazed to find that it had been remade.  I can tolerate Russell Brand as a standup comic, but as an actor and the main star of a movie... Well!  I'm speechless.  

Posted By: ShanYao
Date Posted: July 04 2011 at 11:46pm
We shall see...   Support you...

Posted By: alexaf
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 9:27am
Almost as bad as the first Arthur!

-------------

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:10pm
Which is considered a classic!

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:43pm
That won Dudley Moore an Oscar.

Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:56pm
I am pretty sure that Duddley Moore never won an oscar...

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 4:28pm
Sorry, my bad. He was nominated for one but at least the original got him a Golden Globe.

Date Posted: July 10 2011 at 3:48am
I really hope Greta Gerwig doesn't get nominated for this. She was the only decent thing in this movie....

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 8:59am
Got around to seeing this and here's my review. It will be done in the style of my Trannies 3 review. 

The good: 
Greta Gerwig: She's possibly the only true good thing about it. 
Helen Mirren: She was okay as Hobson, not as good as Gielgud was in the original though. 

The bad: 
Nick Nolte: He's not very good and it's obvious that he needs money. 
The script: While the script doesn't match Trannies 3 in it's idiocy, it's still pretty bad.
The song: I hate this song more than words can describe. The only reason it's not in the ugly section because it's not as bad as the original version by Christopher "Grammy theif" Cross.

The ugly: 
Russell Brand: He's so bad, it makes Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him To The Greek look like flukes.
Jennifer Garner: While Garner herself isn't ugly, her acting is. The scene where she tries to seduce Arthur is probably the worst. Easily her worst performance since Elektra.
The pop-culture references: While it's not as bad as the Tranformer scene from Gulliver's Travels, they references are clumsily shoe-horned in and distracting. Also, during the scene where's his dressed-up like Batman, his costume has nipples. We all know my feelings on Bat-nipples.

Overall, Arthur is a pointless remake. Other than Brand, Garner, and Worst Remake or Rip-off, I don't see this getting many nods. Grade: C-

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 10:59am
1)Wait. Did you like those 2 movies? 

2)I haven't seen this movie, but I get the feeling they made the Batman reference as a joke.  

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Russell Brand: He's so bad, it makes Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him To The Greek look like flukes.

Also, during the scene where's his dressed-up like Batman, his costume has nipples. We all know my feelings on Bat-nipples.

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 1:15pm
That's because they were flukes. The dude is not funny unless he is backed by a good writer/director. 

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 2:01pm
Yes, I liked the Aldous Snow movies. As for point two, I know that was a joke, but since they were, most likely, inspired by the Tim Burton Batman movies, it seems odd to have a reference to history's greatest monster's Batman movies. 

Also, during the scene where's his dressed-up like Batman, his costume has nipples. We all know my feelings on Bat-nipples.
1)Wait.Did you like those 2 movies?
2)I haven't seen this movie,but I get the feeling they made that as a joke.

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 6:42pm
So we weren't too far off when we all claimed that this movie could have easily passed as a Seltzerberg flick entitled "Remake Movie"! 

The pop-culture references: While it's not as bad as the Tranformer scene from Gulliver's Travels, they references are clumsily shoe-horned in and distracting. Also, during the scene where's his dressed-up like Batman, his costume has nipples. We all know my feelings on Bat-nipples.

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 8:07pm
Comparing to Seltzerberg is a little harsh: not once during Arthur did I consider sepukku.

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 8:22pm
I agree. Only REALLY bad stuff that's worse than The Last Airbender can be compared with Seltzerburg... wait a minute! Seppuku? That derives from "setsu" (slice) and "fuku" (abdomen). Don't see Seltzerburg's 2012 film then, because we can't afford for you to slice your abdomen! (By the way, is it called "The Biggest Movie of All Time 3D"?)

On topic: I still support giving this only 1 RAZZIE nom: Hop and Arthur [remake] for Russell Brand.

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 1:05am
I still think that sounds like THE most arrogant (and ego-centric) title you could give a movie (and it deserves a Razzie for that alone).  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

(By the way, is it called "The Biggest Movie of All Time 3D"?)

-------------

Posted By: Jasondr
Date Posted: September 07 2011 at 11:55pm
I might see "Arthur" just out of my sympathy for Jennifer Garner, but not because Russel is in there. If I am not mistaken, he also played in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", which I simply turned off after just a few minutes of watching. It was horrible, to say the least. They tried to make something extraordinary, but they just made another piece of extraordinary sh...

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 7:59am
Welcome.And I don't think you're allowed to judge that movie(which I gave 9/10)because you didn't see really it.

-------------

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 11:23am

Welcome.And I don't think you're allowed to judge that movie(which I gave 9/10)because you didn't see really it.
I'm going to regret this ... did you see the original and what are your thought on it?

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:58pm
I meant FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 7:28pm

I meant FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL.
Ah, I was about to say, that's pretty high score for a remake which got a lukewarm reception at best.

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Posted By: bigal2011
Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 10:51am
russel brand?? oh god.. They could have done better than that. His appearance and voice and everything about him irritates me so much. Well it looks like I am not going to watch this movie.Confused

Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by bigal2011

russel brand?? oh god.. They could have done better than that. His appearance and voice and everything about him irritates me so much. Well it looks like I am not going to watch this movie.Confused
And him and Sandler together in "Bedtime Stories" ... talk about an unwatchable movie!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window