Print Page | Close Window

Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Discussion & Add'l INFO on PIRATES #4
Forum Discription: Forum Members' Feedback & Lynx for Reviews, B.O. & Cetera on This Film...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5069
Printed Date: September 30 2014 at 2:55pm

Topic: Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 9:14am
WITH A YO-HO-HO and a BIG HEAVE HO?!?!?  

HERE's WHERE to POST YER THOUGHTS on DIZZ-KNEE's LATEST BLATANT ASSEMBLY LINE SEQUEL, http://www.razzies.com/forum/discussion-addl-info-on-pirates-4_forum523.html - .

AND HERE's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/should-we-be-irate-these-pirates_topic5073.html - to READ WHAT YE OLDE HEAD RAZZBERRY SED ABOUT the FILM... 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:12am
I would say this looks merely as bad as At World's End. Right now, it looks poor, but not abominable. The best improvement over At World's End is that this is nowhere near 3 hours long. The worst things: the noisy action sequences and the apparently disjointed plot.  

UPDATE: I think I'll rip into it through its name. If Disney were a cove, On Stranger Tides would be the riptide that estranges us from it.

-------------

Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:24am

To be fair, GTAhater, at this point it looks to be the only sure Razzie-contender in the upcoming three weekends. The other movies coming out on up-coming weekends (The Hangover 2, Kung-Fu Panda 2, X-Men vs. Cuban Missile Crisis) seem harder to predict at this point (and could be hit-or-miss at this stage). I personally don't want to go 3 weeks without a "worst movie of the weak"!

That, and i despised Pirates 2 & 3 for it's clear lack of effort!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The promos for the new X-MEN movie, featuring a "pirated" speech by JFK and pre-adolescent X-Men characters, make that film look like like a potential contender to me. And both HANGOVER 2 and KUNG FU PANDA 2 appear to exist solely because their predecessors were big box office -- a harbinger of potential RAZZIE® Contenders as well.. As for SUPER 8, I am hoping the combined talents of J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg will produce something of merit, rather than another bloated-budget disappointment...  

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:29am
I happened to like The Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest but not At World's End. And I don't think JJ Abram's Super 8 will be the next RAZZIE contender either. If filmgoers are lucky, the only failure of the next 40 days besides this will be Mr. Poppper's Penguins.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:42am

I loved The Curse of the Black Pearl when I first saw it in theaters -- when I was 14. So I was extremely disappointed when I saw the first sequel (Dead Men's Chest) in theaters: it just felt very contrived. I wouldn't have even seen At Worlds End in theaters, if I hadn't been with friends. 

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 12:46pm
The 1st one was a good ol'-fashioned fun adventure movie that would stay the same with or without a sequel.And it introduce us to a potencial classic character from a great performance by Depp:7/10.

The 2nd one was one of those movies made like filler TV episodes.You know,already expecting us to watch the whole saga no matter how many installments:6/10.

The 3rd one was just too much.Way too many plots.Clearly they couldn't decide whether to make it as a final episode with a chance to have another movie,or to make it as another filler with a chance of closure:5/10.

Like I've said before,the only reason why a 4th would be needed was to give a more proper conclusion to WILL & ELIZABETH,but they won't do that!And yes,I did watch the post-credits scenes in all 3 movies.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 1:00pm
This series is proof that there is NO need for sequels (unless it's like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, and there HAVE to be sequels, due to the epic scope of the story). 

The first Pirates movie was the perfect popcorn adventure movie, with a good story and a star-making performance by Johnny Depp. Then came the sequels, and the series went to sh*t. Milking a good thing for money only results in sour milk...  

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 2:50pm
So, this is no surprise that this showed up here. However, we should not forget another movie that is going against this, which is Judy Moody. That looks pretty s***y

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 8:17pm
oiram, Judy Moody isn't coming out till June 10th. We first have to live through a couple of weekends filled with sequels and superheroes fighting communism....

-------------

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:49pm

The franchise is not over yet, the team behind the film have pulled a moviewizguy and jumped the gun by announcing both a fifth and sixth films. Can't you wait before declaring victory Mr. Bruckheimer?

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 11:55pm
So, Is it going to have an open ending like Dead Man's Chest? Because that would really annoy me....

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 3:25am
Odd, I was pretty sure Judy Moody was set to be released with Pirates... 

*checks* 

Oh, nevermind, it's going up against Super 8. Now I know Judy will definitely bomb!   

Originally posted by Vheid

oiram, Judy Moody isn't coming out till June 10th. We first have to live through a couple of weekends filled with sequels and superheroes fighting communism....

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Posted By: Spyke
Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 6:27am
Disney tends to milk everything they make. I'm all for Pirates 4 getting a few Razzie nominations, and would love to see Johnny Depp "shine" with a nomination of his own.  

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 7:20am
But this film is a victory for Bruckheimer. It's already one of the highest-grossing trilogies. And it's almost guaranteed this one will be a hit, too...   

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

The franchise is not over yet, the team behind the film have pulled a moviewizguy and jumped the gun by announcing both a fifth and sixth films. Can't you wait before declaring victory Mr. Bruckheimer?

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 7:25am
This now stands at 38% on R.T. Sample quote:"It's shorter and leaner than the previous sequel, but it runs aground on a disjointed plot and a non-stop barrage of noisy action sequences."

-------------

Posted By: rocketsfan05
Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 1:10pm
All I wanted was a simple pirate movie. Ok the first one had zombies, but it was okay but the plot was still pirate-centric, and it was pretty interesting. The 2nd one took a turn for the worse, but hey it's Davy Jones, all the pirates talk about him, I'll go along with it. But then the piece of sh*t t hat is 3 came out, and now this1 Goddamnit diseny! It's bad enough you changed the ride to mirror the movie, but why in the world did you make a fourth one!

-------------
sh*tty movies are the opiate of the masses.

Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 1:28pm
1. Yes, from what I read, the "ending" to this movie will be wide open, so a sequel can be easily set up.
2. And like moviewizguy, I'm sure Mister Bruckheimer will be in denial that his movie sucks, even when hundreds of critics say otherwise.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:38pm
Roger Ebert(**/****):"For me,it's too much of a muchness".

Richard Roeper(B+):"The franchise is getting tired,but Penelope energizes it".

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:53pm
Er, wow! He just lost all credibillity as a serious film critic.
Originally posted by Vits

Richard Roeper(B+):"The franchise is getting tired,but Penelope energizes it".

-------------

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:31pm
As of right now, this movie has a Tomatometer rating of 36% and a Metascore of 46 (yellow).  Based on my figures, it is only in the running for Worst Prequel or Sequel.  It's not in my Top 10 or 12 for any of the other Razzie categories.

Date Posted: May 20 2011 at 7:34pm
Mister Roeper always had a crush on Penelope Cruz. Can you really blame him?  

As for the movie, unless something worse comes out, Worst Movie contender, and Worst Sequel, etc. for sure.  

Richard Roeper(B+):"The franchise is getting tired,but Penelopeenergizes it".

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 10:14am
I've just seen it in cinema's with my 16-year-old brother. And even though it wasn't really a very good movie, I found it was much better than either Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. So I was pleasently suprised by it (and I will probably not vote for it on the ballot in any category).  

The movie theater I was in, on the other hand, was dreadful. It was a very big cinema (probably one of the bigger ones in my country) and I watched the movie on such a big screen (which wasn't all that bad, of course), but in the beginning of the movie an employee of the theatre stood in front of the audience who started explaining what the movie was about, how to use the 3D-glasses and what previews came before the movie. Which of course was very annoying... Has anyone here experienced this before?  

They also didn't have a lobby to sell popcorn, instead they had a coffeebar (which would be fine if it were an arthouse theater, which it wasn't...)

The 3-D was not worth it, sometimes even very out of focus... One other bit of advice: never watch a subtitled movie in 3-D, because watching both the (flat) subtitles and the (3D) screen could make your head explode....  

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:33am
You said you don't give ratings to movies, but could you rank the 4 PIRATES movies? 

I've just seen it in cinema's with my 16 old brother. And eventhough it wasn't really a very good movie, I found it was much better than both Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. So I was pleasently suprised by it (and I will probably not vote for it on the ballot in any categorie).

Not me,but it sounds a little annoying. 

The movie theater I was in on the other hand was dreadfull. It was a very big cinema (probably one of the bigger ones in my country) and I watched the movie on such a big screen (which wasn't all that bad off course), but in the beginning of the movie an employee of the theatre stood in front of the audience who started explaining what the movie was about, how to use the 3D-glasses and what previews came before the movie. Which off course was very annoying... Has anyone here experienced this before?

Would you consider nominating the movie for Worst Use Of 3D

The 3D was not worth it, sometimes even very out of focus... Oh another advise never watch a subtitled movie in 3D, because watching both the (flat) subtitles and the (3D) screen will make your head spin....

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 3:27pm
Is there even going to be a Worst Use Of 3D award this year? I'll be seeing this sometime this week; I'll tell you how it is.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 4:00pm
Right...I think there's been more good than bad 3D movies so far.

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 6:16pm
Except for 2009, when the special category was the worst of 200X due to the change of decade, and 2004, where the special categories were based on the RAZZIES' quarter-century birthday, there has been a trend bad enough to warrant a special category every year since 2002. I feel the need to keep the new special categories going, and I'm not ready to reuse one yet. What could be a trend for this year that's at least as bad as 3D, yet has never been used as a special category before?

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 9:41pm
I keep pointing out the the Worst Sequel/Remake category will be more bloated than a thousand pound man at Taco Bell this year, but there doesn't seem to a way to alter that category with the 28 possible contenders to choose from in 2011.   

Originally posted by GTAHater767

What could be a trend for this year that's at least as bad as 3D, yet has never been used as a special category before?

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 10:49pm
Vits, I'll try... The Curse of the Black Pearl (7/10), Dead Man's Chest (4/10), At Worlds End (3/10), At Stranger Tides (6/10)

I honestly agree with GTAhater that the Worst Misuse of 3D Category shouldn't be re-cycled...

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:04pm
Just saw this film today. My thoughts on the series:

*Curse of the Black Pearl: 9/10 - This is how you make a fantastic action-adventure with a great performance by Depp who provides a lot of humor in the film.
*Dead Man's Chest: 7/10 - Not as good as the first, but obviously still enjoyable with some incredible action scenes. Loved the cliffhanger, btw.
*At World's End: 5/10 - They could have cut out 90 minutes worth of scenes and unnecessary subplots in here. Honestly, this shouldn't have been 3 hours long. Could have been great but was, instead, bloated and boring. Nonetheless, Verbinski doesn't disappoint with the action (especially the climax battle).
*On Stranger Tides: 6.5/10 - Not as good as 1 and 2 but sooooooo much better than 3. Although the shortest in the series, the running time could still be cut about 30 minutes shorter, especially during the first hour (which dragged quite a bit). HOWEVER, from the point the mermaids come in to the end credits, it's such an enjoyable and entertaining film, which was missing in part 3. It's nothing special, but if you wanna have a fun time, you can do a lot worse. BTW, I didn't see this in 3D. There were so many night scenes that would have been incomprehensible to have seen them in 3D.

Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:23pm
The movie theater I went to only had a 3D-version of the movie. So, I didn't have a lot of options... 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

BTW, I didn't see this in 3D. There were so many night scenes that would have been incomprehensible to have seen them in 3D.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:41am
And we're back to reviews that never go below 5 or 6 out of 10. (SIGH!)

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:32am

With respect to the Pirates of the Caribbean series, I have no beef with moviewiz. Heck, I'd even agree with him that At World's End deserves 5/10, because I interpret that as mediocre. And just because I need to add my opinions, I'll do so. In fact, I'll remind everyone here that along with Worst-of lists for every year since 2000, I also have equal-sized Best of lists. With apologies to Michaels, my scale is from 0 to 20, with a different degree of good and bad attached to each number.

Black Pearl: 17/20 ("Excellent"). #20 on my Top 30 Films of 2003. Disney started off the series with a movie that deserves its popularity. This is what Captain Jack Sparrow should be remembered for.

Dead Man's Chest: 15/20 ("Very Good"). #21 on my Top 30 Films of 2006. This is an uncommon example of a sequel that, while not better than its predecessor, is still among the best of its year.

World's End: 10/20 ("Mediocre"). Ignored from my Top & Bottom 40 Films of 2007. This is where the Caribbean series navigated a wrong turn. They botched this one up, mostly with the length, but this definitely isn't anywhere near the worst film of 2007... but it IS among the worst movies that year that everyone saw.

Stranger Tides: 7/20 ("Marginal"). Had this been 3 hours long, I probably would've rated it lower. But the story is the worst thing about it. Even so, this may not be one of 2011's absolute worst.

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: May 23 2011 at 7:25am
We saw this on Sunday. While there is nothing to rave about, I didn't see anything in it that is Razzie worthy. Even  a Worst Prequel/Sequel/Remake nomination would be more based on principle than substance imho. Incidentally we did not see it either in 3D or IMAX, and I didn't think either would have particularly added to it. The bad news, however, is that the nominal ending is a lukewarm setup for another installment, and if you sit through to the end of the credits, their is a final clip that is a dead on set up for the next one. As for box-office performance, it probably wasn't as good of an opening as Disney hoped domestically, but it did clobber everything else, and it set records internationally. So I don't think anyone in Mouseville is pulling the brake handle on Pirates V.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: May 28 2011 at 7:15am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The promos for the new X-MEN movie, featuring a "pirated" speech by JFK and pre-adolescent X-Men characters, make that film look like like a potential contender to me. And both HANGOVER 2 and KUNG FU PANDA 2 appear to exist solely because their predecessors were big box office -- a harbinger of potential RAZZIE® Contenders as well.. As for SUPER 8, I am hoping the combined talents of J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg will produce something of merit, rather than another bloated-budget disappointment...

X-Men: First Class is currently at 100% on RT (it will drop off course, but I doubt that it will go below 70%). I expected something like this considering that it's director Matthew Vaughn was also responsible for last years superhero-hit Kick-Ass.

I guess we have to wait for when that Judy Moody-movie comes out, because this week doesn't seem to offer us much... 

-------------

Posted By: beckypryan
Date Posted: May 28 2011 at 11:34pm
It's time to quit. I agree that the Pirate movies have just gotten weaker and weaker. 

-------------
Becky

Posted By: ejvind
Date Posted: May 30 2011 at 5:00am
I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4. YAWN... What a disappointment!  

After 3 fairly good movies, the fourth is just s-o-o-o-o l-o-o-o-o-ng and b-o-o-o-o-ring. I almost fell asleep several times, and I only managed to stay awake due to the woman sitting next to me sighing, moving about and yawning all through the movie.
And 3-D didn't even make the experience any better.

Sorry to say it, but Johnny Depp obviously needs someone else to play off of to make the character work - for me, he didn't deliver in this movie.

-------------
http://www.latterkursus.dk/polterabend/ - Polterabend
http://www.latterkursus.dk/latter-er/latterinstruktoer/ - Latterinstruktoer

Posted By: byron
Date Posted: June 01 2011 at 6:48am
I saw the latest Pirates offering on Memorial day and was very disappointed!  It seems to me that each new installment gets a little worse, but I'm sure they will continue to make more Pirates movies as long as the make money.

Posted By: 27years
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 9:16am
The first Pirates was a surprising good, fun movie with the great Jack Sparrow. For me that is definitely where it should have ended. The sequels has been nothing but a mess in my opinion. Weak stories, too much going on and repetitive...not to mention way too long. The once great Jack Sparrow is now just a watered down version of himself with the same old antics. Utterly boring. I find myself rolling my eyes when he is mentioned now. Tired, repetitive and predictable. 

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 27years

The first Pirates was a surprising good, fun movie with the great Jack Sparrow. For me that is definitely where it should have ended. The sequels has been nothing but a mess in my opinion. Weak stories, too much going on and repetitive...not to mention way too long. The once great Jack Sparrow is now just a watered down version of himself with the same old antics. Utterly boring. I find myself rolling my eyes when he is mentioned now. Tired, repetitive and predictable. 
Yep. First movie = awesome. All sequels afterwards = suck (such is the way of ALL movie series).

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: Razors
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 4:39pm
Oh dear, I fell asleep after about 15 minutes and woke to find the crew looking for a fountain with a mermaid. God knows what I missed but the end made no sense. Still Cruz looks hot in any movie these days.

Posted By: byron
Date Posted: June 08 2011 at 3:43am

Not that it would have made any difference to the quality of the movie, but what happened to Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley?

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:00pm
They weren't needed, and I am glad, since their characters dragged down the second and third films for me.

-------------

Posted By: Alex
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 7:18am
Well,

I the only thing I can add to this discussion is, that I am happy that I watched this movie online and not in the cinema.

That would have been an even greate waster of time and money.

Even the soundtrack was very dissapointing this time.

Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 9:39am
Yours seems to be the collective mindset about movie watching these days.

-------------

Posted By: Alex
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 4:52am
If it became the collective mindset, there wouldn't be movies anymore, because the film industry would be ruined if nobody went to the cinema or paid to rent DVDs...  

-------------

Posted By: niceyeve
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 11:01pm
I am so sad: I cannot see the Pirates of the Caribbean IV in my local cinema..I really waited for this movie for so long, and now the cinema here in our town will not show the movie! 

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:41am
This has become the 8th highest grossing movie of all times!It's behind the 2nd one.Why didn't the 1st one broke that record?!

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:45am
Because it wasn't an established franchise yet...

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 1:39pm
Yeah, here's an article that would go perfectly with the infamous song, "It's All About The Benjamins".

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/pirates-treasure-mounts-1-billion-worldwide-reuters - http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/pirates-treasure-mounts-1-billion-worldwide-reuters

Sad, but true.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2011 at 2:42pm
Now it's in 7th,passing THE DARK KNIGHT.That only leaves LORD OF THE RINGS 3 and TOY STORY as the only movies considered excellent in the top 5.

-------------

Posted By: niel.tohe
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 6:45am
I just know that Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is very good    LenguaLenguaLenguaGran sonrisa

-------------
i like the pages of gambling like http://www.todoapuestas.org - apuestas baloncesto and http://www.foro-apuestas.com - apuestas tenis visit them.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 8:31am

Now it's in 7th,passing THE DARK KNIGHT.That only leaves LORD OF THE RINGS 3 and TOY STORY as the only movies considered excellent in the top 5.
We have noted this before, but using box-office grosses as the measure of ranking movies is ridiculous. A more accurate measure would either be ticket sales or some sort of inflation-adjusted system. The trend of releasing movies in 3D has so grossly inflated box-office totals that the system is now entirely meaningless.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: July 05 2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

We have noted this before, but using box-office grosses as the measure of ranking movies is ridiculous. A more accurate measure would either be ticket sales or some sort of inflation-adjusted system. The trend of releasing movies in 3D has so grossly inflated box-office totals that the system is now entirely meaningless.
I, for one, am not looking at box office grosses as a measure of filmmaking quality. I see it for what it really is, a way to tell which was the most COMMERCIALLY successful movie.

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 19 2011 at 5:42pm
Now we know why we don't pay good money to see this s**t, and knowing is half the battle.

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 1:46pm
As promised in my Your Highness review, I'm doing "good, bad, and ugly" reviews for all the movies that I've seen on this forum that are bad enough. Since this is easily the most tolerable of the movies that qualify, this'll be the first one. So, without further ado, let's start.

The good:

Johnny Depp: This may be one of Depp's weaker performance, but, it's tolerable.

Penelope Cruz: She's hot and she steals the show.

Ian McShane: McShane made for a good BlackBeard.

Voodoo zombies: Voodoo zombies have been a favorite underused horror movie monster since I saw Serpent And The Rainbow.

The bad:

The 3D: While's it's better than FartBender's 3D and it was actually shoot in 3D, it felt like they just shot it to get more money.

The mermaid and the Christian: Acting is not their strong suits.

The ugly:

The running time: Good God, this was too long. If it was shorter, I'd probably have it in the "not bad enough pile".

Well, that's the show. Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a half-assed cash-in, but, as half-assed cash-ins go, it's an entertaining one. Grade: B-.

Next up: Drive Angry!

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 1:52pm
Congrats,dude.The fact that you have a particular style in reviewing and your own catchphrases makes you closer to being a pro-critic.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

While's it's better than FartBender's 3D and it was actually shoot in 3D, it felt like they just shot it to get more money.

What other reasons exist?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

The running time: Good God, this was too long.

Really?I mean,it was shorter than the previous one,but it felt longer?

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 2:43pm
While this was shorter than At World's End,  it's content doesn't justify it's length. I don't mind long movies, it's over-long movies that grind my gears. For example, Tree Of Life was long as hell, but it didn't go over-long IMO. Meanwhile, Bridesmaids, funny as hell as it was, was a bit over-long. Still the funniest movie of the year, though. Thanks for the feedback, the Drive Angry review will be up later tonight.

-------------

Posted By: Lord Naseby
Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 1:07pm
It was a slight bit better than 2 and 3 but that is still saying nothing because this one wasn't too good either. They still put a lot of "who is fighting on which side and why?" crap in there. It was mediocre at best. A typical Disney blockbuster sequel at worst. They should have stopped at 1. But there are two more coming so...

-------------
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 2:14pm
I just saw it,but won't review it.

While it's shorter than the previous one,it feels longer.I mean,it drags on forever!The 1st action sequence(JACK's escape)was very thrilling,but all the others are boring.And some are unnecessary.JACK and BLACKBEARD discuss the mutiny and the former tries to say how it served a purpose.Maybe for you,but not for me.

This one gets closer to the first one in the sense that it also tries to be an old fashioned adventure movie.But in old fashioned adventure movie sagas,the installments have the same characters but different stories.But you stablish that rule in the 1st sequel,not the 3rd.By now,I expect nothing less than continuity between the installments.So I was dissapointed to see such a poorly constructed plot that was actually less than it seemed.And it was bad enough not having WILL & ELIZABETH,it was embarrasing how they tried replacing them(I think you know with whom).

I give this 3/10.

For Your Consideration:
-Actor:No.Depp doesn't do anything special,but it's because it's a 3rd sequel performance.At least he got a few zany one-liners(enphazise on "a few").
-Actress(or Supp. Actress?):No.Cruz's character wasn't exactly a good addition,but so was the whole movie.Her performance was decent.
-Supp. Actor:Yes.Not McShane(same thoughts that with Cruz),nor Rush,who's more over-the-top than before,but Richard Griffiths.That's right.While he's in 1 maybe 2 minutes and his performance can only be described as "campy bad".And cameos have been nominated in the past.
-Director:No.Rob Marshall knew which shoes he had to fill in,and he pays respects to Gore Verbisnki.
-Screenplay:Yes.Despite the feeling of "quick paycheck" in the other sequels,this one feels like they just threw ideas and then filled them with...well,filling.
-Couple/Ensemble:No.
-Prequel/Sequel:Yes.Aside from being bad,it actually gives a bad name to the whole franchise.
-Mis-Use Of 3D:I don't know.
-CGI Ridden Movie:No.This one relied less on CGI than the other installments.
-Picture:Maybe,if none of my 1 star movies get it.

-------------

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 4:48pm
This franchise is running on fumes already. It sickens me that they are seriously considering a 5th and 6th movie!

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

This franchise is running on fumes already. It sickens me that they are seriously considering a 5th and 6th movie!

I don't think they're "running out of fumes." I mean, I don't think I can ever get tired of Jack Sparrow because he's such a unique character. Even POTC4 made a lot of money internationally, so I don't think this franchise is going to end any time soon.

Posted By: Lord Naseby
Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 6:07pm

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

I don't think they're "running out of fumes." I mean, I don't think I can ever get tired of Jack Sparrow because he's such a unique character. Even POTC4 made a lot of money internationally, so I don't think this franchise is going to end any time soon.

You may not be tired of Sparrow but Depp is. He's burnt out on the series right now.

-------------
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 8:29pm

No dude, the franchise has been running on fumes since the second and third movie, when all they were doing was repeating the best lines and reenacting the best scenes from the first movie. That's called being lazy. Yes, Jack Sparrow is entertaining, but if you put him in a movie that's a lazy, half-assed cash grab, it's still a crappy movie.

As my slightly odd grandfather would say, you can shine a turd up all you want, in the end, it's just a shiny turd (ie. Jack Sparrow is the shine, the Pirates franchise is the turd).

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:16am
I forgot to mention something berry important.The plot was based on the novel ON STRANGER TIDES,which means this is a sequel and a remake.It can be nominated for both awards!

I don't think they're "running out of fumes." Even POTC4 made a lot of money internationally, so I don't think this franchise is going to end any time soon.
I think he/she was referring to the quality of the franchise,not the popularity.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window