Print Page | Close Window

Member Discussion of CAPTAIN AMERICA

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on CAPTAIN AMERICA
Forum Discription: Here's Where to Express Yer Thoughts & Find Out Credits, B.O. Numbers, Reviews, ETC.
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5190
Printed Date: November 26 2014 at 2:19am

Topic: Member Discussion of CAPTAIN AMERICA
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Member Discussion of CAPTAIN AMERICA
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:08am
IF the MOVIE IS AS FUNNY AS ITS TRAILER, THIS ONE SHOULD BE a LAUGH RIOT! 

HERE's WHERE to "AVENGE" YOURSELF, and ARGUE WHY WE SHOULD DEMOTE http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum-discussion-addl-info-on-captain-america_forum540.html -  to the LOWLY RANK of RAZZIE® CONTENDER. 

AND, FOR the CURIOUS, HERE's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/our-take-on-captain-america_forum539.html -  to CHECK OUT OUR "OFFICIAL TAKE" on the FILM...  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:30am
I had/have a feeling about this one... The trailers made it look like a combination of G.I.:The Rise of Cobra and Pearl Harbor. Not to mention the fact that the superhero in question looks extremelly dated (which I already pointed out in the Green Lantern-forum)

And considering that it comes out the weekend after the final Harry Potter-installment, I highly doubt if it will make as much money as X-Men: First Class, Thor or even Green Lantern...

Oh and HeadRAZZ, I see that you've had a change of heart about starting a forum for the Winnie the Pooh-movie.

-------------

Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:35am
RESPONSE from HEAD RAZZberry: Actually, I haven't fully decided against putting up a "Forum discussion" on WINNIE THE POOH -- it opens July 15, but we may go with the Sarah Palin documentary UNDEFEATED (which opens in limited release that same day) instead.

For those interested, here's  the http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic5197_post43895.html#43895 - to join our POOH discussion...  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:40am
HeadRAZZ, Just out of curiosity, If the Pooh "forum" will only be up for discussion pruposes, wouldn't it be a better Idea to make a poll out of it? (unless of course that takes too much time to make)...

update: I see that you've edited your post, which now makes this post look a bit out-of-context...

I would really like it if The Undefeated would get a forum (eventhought I am not sure if I will be able to see it), mainly because I like the idea of seeing Sarah Palin in the worst actress-category on the nomination ballot.

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 9:36am
I don't know how much time it takes for him to do that, but I doubt the results will arrive in time for the release. 

Originally posted by Vheid

HeadRAZZ, Just out of curiosity, If the Pooh "forum" will only be up for discussion pruposes, wouldn't it be a better Idea to make a poll out of it? (unless of course that takes too much time to make)...

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 12:54pm
Assuming this film will fail, I say this to the actor who plays Captain America: "Your warrior's build and giant pecs won't save you this time!"

If there was a poll regarding Winnie the Pooh 2011, what would it ask?

If there was a poll regarding Undefeated, would it ask if we wanted the forum? And is it likely to get as negative reviews as Atlas Shrugged: Part I, the other limited release crash related to the Tea Party?

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 1:10pm
If The Undefeated: The Sarah Palin Story gets a forum, could it be possible that it would get a joined nomination with Atlas Shrugged: Part I in the same way that Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie did a couple of years ago?

update: The trailer of The Undefeated. http://www.ivillage.com/trailer-sarah-palin-documentary-undefeated/1-a-363469 - link

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 1:14pm
Those received a conjoined nom because they were made by exactly the same people and had the same formats and similar "plots".

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 2:02pm
So.... These two movies share the same very small audience, that has to count for something...

-------------

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 2:59pm
It might flop oversees but only because it has the term "America" in it. Otherwise I'm sure the reviews will great because critics seem to love to eat up Marvel's generic overdone superhero films. 

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:11pm
The dumbest thing about the trailer: They took Chris Evans' head and on put it on what looked like the body of a 5 year old. I know Steve Rogers was a "90 pound weakling" before becoming Captain America, but come on; his head was not twice the size of his body!

Oh, and by the way, Captain America had a steady boost in popularity over the past decade due to 9/11 and a storyline in which he was killed off (only to come back to life, because such is the tradition in comic books), so he is NOT forgotten.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:15pm
A friend of mine said that no matter what, he'll see this movie at a cinema as a birthday gift for himself. He loves Marvel (and hates DC by the way!). He basically yelled "yahoo!" when he saw the trailer the first time, and he told me how cool the shield was when he saw the poster.

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:35pm
The die-hard fanboys will see comic book movies no matter what. They'll complain about the movies for hours, if not days later ... but they will see them in theaters anyway.

I think this should also be mentioned, with the death of Osama Bin Liden, there might be a wave of patriotism in America strong enough to get people to see this movie for it's Pro-American image. That, and some people just want something to wash the bad aftertaste of "Indiana Jones 4" out of their mouths with a good old fashion movie serial type of movie.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:44pm
That if,  this turns out to be a good movie!

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:45pm
I guess I can't respect your friend then (note: I like both companies equally).  

Originally posted by Vits

A friend of mine loves Marvel and hates DC by the way.

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 5:41pm
Michaels, Don't you think that it will have a hard time getting out of the shadow of the last Harry Potter-movie (which is being released the weekend before) and which is already being predicted to be the most successfull movie of the year (box office-wise) AND the most succesfull movie in the franchise (also box office-wise)?  

Originally posted by Michaels

The die-hard fanboys will see comic book movies no matter what. They'll complain about the movies for hours, if not days later ... but they will see them in theaters anyway.

I think this should also be mentioned, with the death of Osama Bin Liden, there might be a wave of patriotism in America strong enough to get people to see this movie for it's Pro-American image. That, and some people just want something to wash the bad aftertaste of "Indiana Jones 4" out of their mouths with a good old fashion movie serial type of movie.

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:45pm
I'm not saying "Captain America" will be a runaway hit that will shatter records, but I think it will do well for itself, probably better than "Green Lantern" did.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Considering it reportedly cost more than CAPTAIN to make, and LANTERN has struggled to top a $100 million domestic gross ( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm -

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 7:16am
I know I'm going to enjoy this more than Green Lantern!

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:38am
I'm finding it hard to believe both movies were made for $300 million, considering "GL" was bloated with CGI from start to finish. I was talking more like $80-100 million opening weekend for "Cap", unlike "GL" which opened with under $60 million. 

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Considering it reportedly cost more than CAPTAIN to make, and LANTERN has struggled to top a $100 million domestic gross ( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm -

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:39am

All I can say about this film, is that (despite BO figures being higher) it's probably gonna meet the same fate as its 1990 predecessor...  

Sorry Cap'n A -- it's not our fault your movies are flawed.

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:47am
You mean it's going to become an "urban legend" that's only viewed on late night TV once or twice a year?  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

All I can say about this film, is that (despite BO figures being higher) it's probably gonna meet the same fate as its 1990 predecessor.

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 12:22pm
I think the real bottomline question is, even if this movie were flawless and entertaining, would it find an audience? Reviving Captain America in 2011 has all the relevance of Copperhead or Captain Celluloid.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 12:48pm
I think some people are confused here. I'm under the impression many posters here think Captain America was created in the 1930s/1940s, disappeared from comics for decades, and only now Marvel is bringing him back. Um, no, far from it. Cap was brought back into comic books in the 1960s, the same time Spider-Man, Ironman, X-Men, and all the major Marvel players were invented. Also, this movie is the final set-up for next year's "Avengers", which Cap is also a part of, so it's not like they are pulling this movie out of thin air, there's a reason for it. It's the final set-up for the huge payoff (yes, the "pay" part is intended).

I think what people here are really making fun of this for is the old school movie serial feel of the movie. I'm sure the studio heads were saying the same thing 30 years ago when "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was pitched to them.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 3:11pm
Maybe that's why this one is the only movie with the word "Avenger" in the title: maybe they think people won't recognize his name otherwise. But I doubt it. I've played a few Marvel crossover video-games, and CAPTAIN AMERICA has appeared in most of them. There are many dated characters (possibly including him) but that doesn't mean he's forgotten.

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 3:34pm
I don't think CA is necessary "forgotten," I just think he has become irrelevant. Even if you would go out and ask 100 comic book geeks who their half dozen favorite super heroes are, Captain America wouldn't make a lot of lists.  And the sale for Raiders of the Lost Ark back in the 70's might have been an interesting presentation, but the one overwhelming thing it had going for it was a collaboration of two of the hottest young filmmakers in Hollywood. What does this film have?

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: July 09 2011 at 6:17pm
I doubt there will be anyone hiding inside a refrigerator so survive a nuclear bomb test in this movie, that's for sure!  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

And the sale for Raiders of the Lost Ark back in the 70's might have been an interesting presentation, but the one overwhelming thing it had going for it was a collaboration of two of the hottest young filmmakers in Hollywood. What does this film have?

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: July 10 2011 at 7:15am
Thor has the best weekend for a comic book movie this year, and that was 68 million. I don't think for a second that Captain America's opening weekend is going to be higher than 70 million -- at best it will between 40 and 60 million. 

Also, clarify what I said earlier, I know I'm going to enjoy Green Lantern more than Captain America.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2011 at 6:17pm
1. I think it's going to be close to $60-70 million, because Harry Potter fans may cool off by then.  

2. You don't know that for sure, dude. "Cap" might surprise you!  

Originally posted by whatsthepoint

1. Thor has the best weekend for a comic book movie this year, and that was 68 million. I don't think for a second that Captain America's opening weekend is going to be higher than 70 million -- at best it will between 40 and 60 million

2. Also, clarify what I said earlier, I know I'm going to enjoy Green Lantern more than Captain America.

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 19 2011 at 12:27am
Wow, never really expected a forum for Captain America (after the success of both Thor and X-Men: First Class), it's probably because Chris Evans stars as the titular hero, and he was in those awful Fantastic 4 films?  

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 2:52pm
Wow.... It's currently at 62% on RT... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/ - link

I really thought this was going to be one of ours....

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:09pm

Wow.... It's currently at 62% on RT... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/ - link

I really thought this was going to be one of ours....
I don't know why everyone was claiming this was going to be one of our's. It might not be great, but I doubt it will be in the same league as "Catwoman".

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:23pm
I never thought it would be in the same league as Catwoman... I thought it was going to be in the same league as Pearl Harbour....

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 9:35pm
Well, that's a sigh of relief for Marvel films this year.

Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 9:34am
Roger Ebert(3/4):"Of course it's loaded with CGI.It goes without saying it's preposterous.But it has the texture and takes the care to be a full-blown film".

-------------

Posted By: Knative
Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 3:05pm
I wish it would suck and that it would fail. I am sick of these goddamned comic book movies (even though I am looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises.) 

Why not make a big budget thriller where the protagonist does not wear a costume? 

Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 3:18pm
R.T.(68-75%):"With plenty of pulpy action,a pleasantly retro vibe,and a handful of fine performances,this is solidly old-fashioned blockbuster entertainment".

Guys...could this be happening?Are bad superhero movies(basically half of the past decade)going to dissapear?I mean,3/4 of them have been good so far!

-------------

Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 5:51pm
Hollywood is not going to stop making comic book movies until they all start being box office bombs. Good luck with that ever happening, considering comic book fan bases date back 7 decades. So, if you don't like them, simply don't watch them.   

Originally posted by Knative

I wish it would suck and that it would fail. I am sick of these goddamned comic book movies (even though I am looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises.) 

Why not make a big budget thriller where the protagonist does not wear a costume? 

-------------

Posted By: johnq
Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 6:35pm
It looks like we have a critical hit in Captain Am, at least according to RottenTomatoes.  And since RT is viewed by so many on this site as the source of all things worth knowing about a film, I guess that pretty much seals it, unless of course someone were to actually, you know, see the thing and report about it.  What a concept.  I had my misgivings about the film, too, but now I am curious and may actually see it.  

Note: I am increasingly distrustful of RT and care less and less about it's goofy numbers.  Sucker Punch was a brilliant movie and The Tree of Life, it tears me up to say this, was at best a sad reminder of how far the great Terry has fallen.  Why don't we just drop RT completely?  I think anyone who takes movies seriously would.  But this is the DailyRaz so . . . 

-------------
Movies are too important to be left to the critics.

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 5:13am
Captian America is predicted to make the same amount of money as Green Lanten did at it's opening weekend. http://screencrave.com/2011-07-21/box-office-predictions-harry-potter-to-stay-on-top/ - link

-------------

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:42am
Richard Roeper gave it a C:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/captainamericathefirstavenger.aspx - http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/captainamericathefirstavenger.aspx
Originally posted by johnq

I am increasingly distrustful of RT and care less and less about it's goofy numbers.  Sucker Punch was a brilliant movie and The Tree of Life, it tears me up to say this, was at best a sad reminder of how far the great Terry has fallen.  Why don't we just drop RT completely?  I think anyone who takes movies seriously would.
R.T. isn't a perfect system,but aside from it and Metacritic there aren't more trust worthy sites.Although the numbers in R.T. can be wrong(and they've been in some ocassions),the concensus sentence is never wrong.Maybe this movie deserves less than 68-75%,or more,but according to the concensus is a good movie either way.
Originally posted by jesse685

ehaha132, can you stop posting spam on the forums please?
Don't waste your breathe.Whenever there's spam here,the user never returns.

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 12:40pm
Captain America was awesome. I'd mark it a bit above Thor, but below X-Men: First Class. The song Star-Spangled Man from the movie will NEVER leave your head. Also, stay for the end credits, they show the trailer for The Avengers.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: July 23 2011 at 8:28am
Well, here's their epic fail: they released a comic book movie the weekend that all the comic book fans will be away in San Diego for Comic Con! If they had any sense, they would have released it during 4th of July ... but "Trannies 3" already had that spot.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2011 at 2:35pm
Actually Trannies 3 was released on June 29th.

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 23 2011 at 4:16pm
Trannies may have been released then, but it was set up to take advantage of the 4th of July date.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: July 23 2011 at 5:01pm
Yeah, exactly. Because nothing says "America, F*** Yeah!" more than fast cars and big explosions.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2011 at 6:13pm
Comedy gold, my friend.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: July 23 2011 at 10:01pm
Out of all superhero films that have come out this year, Captain America is not only the best one, but is also the only one that I actually liked. Now, some might argue that X-Men: First Class was fantastic (I am NOT a fan of Thor), but, while not bad, I felt it didn't reach its potential. As for Captain America, its main distinction to other summer films is that it doesn't dive right into the action. I appreciated the time it took to develop its characters, and, gee, there actually seemed to be a story going on here. I also have to warn those of you who might expect a straight up action flick to not get your hopes high. Although it didn't bother me, it does take a while before an action scene actually appears. 

Another distinction that separates itself from other superhero films is the look of the film, coinciding its setting in 1942. Captain America looks and feels like an old-fashion film, and I really embraced it. This is also due to Alan Silvestri's score, which feels more classic than modern film scores. Our protagonist, Steve Rogers, feels like a real person which adds an emotional weight to the film. We feel for him and want him to succeed in his goal. And once the story is set up and the action finally comes to play, the action doesn't seem to appear for action's sake. It actually propels the story. It also doesn't hurt having a romance brewing between him and Peggy Carter. It was sweet and didn't feel forced to me. 

Chris Evans plays the title character and he's great playing both the skinny, average Joe and the buff, all-American hero. He certainly steps up his performance here compared to his other superhero character, Johnny Storm. He brings a sort of charisma and puppy dog charm to his role, and it seems like an automatic response to be on his side when we first meet his character. Hayley Atwell is totally believable as his love interest as well. I would love to see what other things she has to offer in future roles. With all good superhero films, there must be a villain to match it. In that case, it's not surprising that Hugo Weaving doesn't disappoint. Just as the person he is, he can withhold an audience's attention without even trying. 

I also liked the relationship between Evans and Sebastian Stan, who plays his best friend. It felt authentic. Tommy Lee Jones brings a few laughs as well. Playing Tony Stark's father, Dominic Cooper thankfully doesn't feel like an Iron Man character being in an Avenger's flick just to string in the Avenger characters together because Thor and Iron Man 2 felt like films made just for the Avengers flick rather than individual films themselves. Stanley Tucci is good in a small role, although the German accent does push it a little. 

With a good story, great characters, great action scenes, and an involving narrative, Captain America is definitely a hit for Marvel Studios. The unique 1940s setting also sets itself apart from other superhero films, and Chris Evans is terrific in the title role. Captain America doesn't feel like your usual popcorn summer flick, and maybe it's a good thing it isn't. Also, stay after the credits to see a cool Avengers trailer. 8/10

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 12:20pm
I don't care what critics thought... I saw this movie and it was a mess...  

The movie lacks structure. The final battle resembled the G.I. Joe-movie just a little too much... and the ending just angered me (It's one thing to give your movie an open ending, It's a completely different thing to make the entire movie look like an introduction for a completely differenty movie ---The Avengers---)

Can someone please explain why two German characters would speak English to each other, instead of speaking German?

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2011 at 12:27pm
Check this review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egYCfg5sDNA

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2011 at 5:00pm

1... and the ending just angered me (It's one thing to give your movie an open ending, It's a completely different thing to make the entire movie look like an introduction for a completely differenty movie ---The Avengers---)

2. Can someone please explain why two German characters would speak English to each other, instead of speaking German?
1. Dude, nowadays, ALL movies are just 90-120 minute long set-ups to other movies. Be it sequel, spin-off, or otherwise.

2. I think that has already been addressed in other subforums: Americans hate having to read subtitles.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2011 at 5:49pm
I think Hollywood takes for granted what young audiences truly want, and this is the evidence: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSdX9-_3vEA 

The things they say in this and other videos are often smart, sometimes even smarter than many adults I know.

-------------

Posted By: DanKaplans
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 5:54pm
Thanks for the link.

Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 1:16pm
Peter Travers's review:

[TUBE]dvAWXKpqa5s[/TUBE]

-------------

Posted By: Vega six
Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 10:13am
It was a good movie but the wrong type of hero for our age. He's too cookie cutter compared to the complex hero's like Stark and Banner. Going to be nice to see how Cap fits in with the Avengers *has a geek moment*

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: September 13 2011 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Vega six

It was a good movie but the wrong type of hero for our age. He's too cookie cutter compared to the complex hero's like Stark and Banner.
Well, yes, that's the point. He's the classic good is good and evil is evil, Golden Age comic book hero. That's why he and Stark will not get along in "Avengers".

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 2:43pm
I just saw it,and gave it 6/10.

Recent Marvel movies have had post-credit scenes.This one sucked,because it was literally a teaser trailer for THE AVENGERS.Oh,I was teased alright.

I don't want this to be nominated for anything,not even if Chris Evans gets nominated for WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER?.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2011 at 6:54pm
I forgot to say that the biggest problem was about Hayley Atwell.At times,she was such a badass,she outshined Chris Evans.

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:35pm
On this episode, I compare this to the 1990 version (skip to 03:28):

[TUBE]Fo8wD4-LFo4[/TUBE]

Any thoughts?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window