Print Page | Close Window

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: General MOVIE & DVD Discussions
Forum Name: Movies in General...
Forum Discription: Dis and pan the movies with critics & moviegoers alike.
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5208
Printed Date: April 23 2014 at 8:03pm

Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
Posted By: Vits
Subject: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
Date Posted: July 16 2011 at 2:14pm
From now on,here's where I'll discuss any classic movie I see.Everyone's free to join each discussion.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Replies:
Date Posted: July 16 2011 at 2:17pm
I just saw the saga of THE EXORCIST.I'll write a conjoined review of the 5 movies soon.

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 16 2011 at 5:28pm
The Exorcist is six on my top ten movies of all-time list.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: July 17 2011 at 10:56am
I just saw LETHAL WEAPON.

I agree with most critics that the funny jokes and the leads's chemistry are good.But I don't agree when they say it helped overcome the cliched plot.I haven't seen that many '80s action movies,but I've seen enough to know the quality of that decade.And the action sequences here are nothing to be amazed by.

I give it 5/10.

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 10:27am
I just saw CAPE FEAR('91).

Clearly Scorsese's shots were meant to be an homage to the Golden Age.But why did he chose the worst shots from that era?Now,the directing wasn't bad,but the editing was.

The movie never holds a consistent tone.At times it's a slow horror movie,then a psychological thriller,then a slasher flick.

Robert DeNiro is very good.So is Nick Nolte(I'd never picture him as the calmed guy).Hard to say on Jessica Lange.But Juliette Lewis is so bad.

I give it 7/10.

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Vits

I just saw the saga of THE EXORCIST.I'll write a conjoined review of the 5 movies soon.
THEY KEEP GETTING POSSESSED?MAYBE WE SHOULD TRY WITH A JEWISH "EXORCIST"(****/*****):

Spoilers ahead!

THE EXORCIST was a movie that,even if you don't love it,you can see why it's called a classic.And it doesn't deserve to be followed by awful sequels. Luckily,I rate movies individually instead of calculating a consensus for a saga.So what is the problem with these movies?I'll discuss them in order,but the one thing they all have in common is bad editing(they don't all have it on the same level).

I knew I wasn't going to love it because I don't get scared so often.But it turns out I didn't love it because it's hard to take seriously.I mean,when REGAN used a cross as a dildo...and when she put her mom's head in her you know what and yelled "lick me!"...it's hard not to laugh.But it was scary.If you can look pass those things,plus Ellen Burstyn's performance which is almost over the top,you'll enjoy it.

I can't say a lot about the 2nd one because the plot is incomprehensible.

In the 3rd one I was able to follow the plot,but I didn't care,the characters constantly mention that 15 years have passed since the events of the 1st one,and therefor,the release of the 1st one.I know this was meant to create nostalgia but it just reminds us how dated the movie is.Is it even a movie?It was more of a really long epilogue,tying up loose ends that weren't even there in the first place.Yes,FATHER KARRAS deserved a proper funeral,but his sacrifice was one of the best things of the original movie.I don't think they cared about that.It may seem that him being alive doesn't change that he was willing to die to save REGAN(who's barely mentioned here),but now we find out he survived,felt a lot of pain after falling down those steps,spent years with amnesia and being possessed again,and forced into murdering people.When he freed himself from the GEMINI KILLER with no assistance I thought they were going to make them the hero he already is,but then he's shot to death(did you notice KINDERMAN didn't hesitate?).There are bad movies other people tell you they saw and laugh at it,and you agree even though you didn't actually laugh.This isn't the case.Everything that is meant to be scary is actually funny,just like George C. Scott's performance.Usually,when someone adapt they're own book into a movie is a bad sign.While William Peter Blatty's script doesn't suffer from having the wrong type of narrative,it's still a story you don't want to watch nor read.And his campy directing clearly shows he just doesn't belong in that chair.

The 4th one was just as boring and unwatchable but it scared once or twice(cheap scares,of course),making it the least bad of the sequels.By showing us why FATHER MERRIN was in the Middle East,it makes the pointless beginning of the 1st one have a purpose.

I take back what I said about the 3rd one,because if there's ever been a movie with a doubtful existence,it's the 5th one.I know that for director Paul Schrader it was an opportunity to tell the story from the 4th one with his vision,but for me(and I don't think I'm alone in this),it was a re-use of forgotten material and deleted footage from the 4th one.Do you know who else used any footage as long as it didn't get wasted?Ed Wood.While I didn't actually count the similarities and differences between both movies,it's clearly the same movie all over again.I admit the scene with FATHER MERRIN confronting the nazi was well-written and an improvement on the 4th one,but it wasn't enough,so overall is worse than it's predecessors.Those were rehashes,but this one was a re-cycler.

Grades:B in the U.S. and 5,5 in Chile.

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 5:55pm
I just saw THE ABYSS and gave it 1/10.

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 10:22pm

I just saw THE ABYSS and gave it 1/10.
It is a wildly overrated sci fi pic, imho. I've never managed to watch it all in one sitting.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 11:21am
I'm so thankfull that I watched it on TV because it had comercials.

I mean,like having a bunch of people scubadiving isn't boring enough,they had to borrow from other movies,specially CLOSE ENCOUNTERS!And yes,I know the story about the studio changing the ending and then using it for the special edition.

-------------

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:50pm
When it comes to classic movies and giving them reviews, you have to keep this in mind: you CANNOT use the same mindset that you have for reviewing present day movies. What are considered cliche'd story elements by today's standards were fresh and new 30 years ago. What are considered dated special effects by today's standards, were cutting edge 30 years ago. What are considered racist, sexist, or unacceptable to society by today's standards, was once considered the norm by society 30 years ago. 

So you really shouldn't judge classic movies of the 30s-90s with the mindset of 2011.

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 1:22pm
THE ABYSS was released 10-15 years after CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

What is considered cliched story elements by today's standards, was once fresh and new 30 years ago.

"2001"'s only good thing was it's FX.GHOSTBUSTERS's only bad thing was it's FX. The former was made 20 years before the latter.

What is considered dated special effects by today's standards, was once cutting edge 30 years ago.

By the way, I did like the FX of THE ABYSS. 

What are considered old racist, sexist, or unacceptable to society by today's standards, was once considered the normal by society 30 years ago.

Which is why SOUTH PARK is still on the air?

So you really shouldn't judge classic movies of the 50s-90s with the mindset of 2011.

Who says I do that?  

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 5:10pm

"2001"'s only good thing was it's FX.GHOSTBUSTERS's only bad thing was it's FX. The former was made 20 years before the latter.  
I totally disagree (as many others would) with both those statements, but if that's your opinion, so be it. As for judging classic movies with a modern day mindset, I didn't say you were, I was only asking to keep that in mind when you do review classic movies.

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 5:21pm
If you disagree because you think those movies were masterpieces,it's OK,because everybody thinks that.But you can't deny that,if you compare their FX and keep in mind when they were made,GHOSTBUSTERS looks like a home-made video.

And don't worry.I have a system to give extra points to movies made before 1970.

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 5:56pm

And don't worry.I have a system to give extra points to movies made before 1970.
Actually, my favorite reviews on this forum are SchumacherH8ter's.

-------------

Posted By: pasim
Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 3:15am
Right now, I am revisiting the http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086960/ - Beverly Hills Cop movies - great 80s rubbish!    ; )

Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 7:42am

Actually, my favorite reviews on this forum are SchumacherH8ter's.
Mine too!Although,to be fair to others,there's not much to choose from.

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:16am
In my opinion, the third Beverly Hills Cop movie killed Eddie Murphy's career,  and it's never been the same since...    

Originally posted by pasim

Right now, I am revisiting the Beverly Hills Cop movies - great 80s rubbish!    ; )

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 1:47pm
I just saw THE GODFATHER. Yes, THE THE GODFATHER.  

Usually when people dislike an old movie is because they've seen modern rip-offs of that movie first. I've seen a bunch of mafia and/or gangster movies,but none of the have such amazing dialogue. We also get engaging characters and good performances. Well,Pacino did good during the last part, but before...I know he was meant to be playing a quiet and soft teen but it came off as if he was just reading lines.

I know this movie is based on a novel but it has the same narrative structure as a book. The plot changes every 1/2 hour or so. Once or twice I asked myself "where's this movie heading?" and I think it's normal for people to do that.

I give it 7/10.

After watching this, CASABLANCA, GONE WITH THE WIND and CITIZEN KANE, all I have to do is re-watch THE WIZARD OF OZ and then I can die.

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 4:11pm
"The Godfather" gets less an a perfect score!? Blashphemy!

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 4:39pm
Are you by any chance one of my grandparents? Because they always hear just the title and the grade!  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 5:09pm
Sorry, Vits, but you're not giving any good reason for GODFATHER to not have a perfect score. I for one am glad Al Pacino was soft spoken, #1 because that's the character and how he changed over time (that's a little something called character development) and #2 it's better than the kind of actor he has become, the one that yells in everything he appears in. And now you're even admitting that your opinions of classic movies are being influenced by modern movies that have copied from them, which is why I suggested not grading the classics in the first place.

And by any chance, are you my 18 year old cousin, if the movie is older than 1990, it's not good enough for you and shouldn't be considered important or respected? (Sorry, had to make some kind of lame comeback).  

Are you by any chance one of my grandparents?Because they always hear just the title and the grade.

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 5:32pm
Why are my reasons not good? Also, I said people in general (not me) are influenced by modern rip-offs.  

...you're not giving any good reason for it to not have a perfect score. And now you're even admitting that your opinions of classic movies are being influenced by modern movies that have copied from them...

I didn't say it was wrong that he spoke soft,I said I felt he got carried away by it.

I for one am glad Al Pacino was soft spoken...

Did I say it doesn't deserve to be considered one of the best movies? No, I said I don't consider it that. 

And by any chance, are you my 18 year old cousin, if the movie is older than 1990, it's not good enough for you and shouldn't be considered important or respected? (Sorry, had to make some kind of lame comeback).

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2011 at 8:10pm
I just don't think Pacino being soft spoken is a good enough reason to not give GODFATHER a perfect score. That and because it's considered the greatest mafia movie ever (with the exception of maybe "Goodfellas"), so of course people will copy from it.

Back to Pacino, if you have seen enough of his movies, you will know full well that he doesn't do anything half-assed. If he's going to be soft spoken, he will be pin-drop quiet; if he's going to yell, he's going to sound like he's using a megaphone.

As for your overall opinion, I don't know, I just think you're short-changing timeless classics. One point away from a perfect score, I can accept, but 3 or 4 points, there better be a good reason for it besides not having modern entertainment value like fast pacing or state of the special effects.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 11:08am
1)Regardless of how Pacino spoke, I didn't like his performance.

I just don't think Pacino being soft spoken is a good enough reason to not give GODFATHER a perfect score. That and because it's considered the greatest mafia movie ever (with the exception of maybe "Goodfellas")...

2)I know it's considered that,but that does not obligate me to love it. 

One point away from a perfect score, I can accept, but 3 or 4 points, there better be a good reason for it besides not having modern entertainment value like fast pacing or state of the special effects.

When did I say anything like that?  

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 4:32pm
1. Well, there are millions of movie lovers who would strongly disagree with you, but that's your opinion and I suppose you're entitled to it.
2. Again, that's your opinion. I just think three points is a bit much due to such a trival thing like an actor being soft spoken because that's what is called for the character. It's like giving a low score to "Rain Man" for calling Dustin Hoffman's performance annoying when it's one of the main traits of the Raymond character.
3. I was talking about your other reviews of classic movies, ie. "2001" and "Ghostbusters". There's a reason why most professional critics are old men, they grew up watching movies from different eras, and they do not judge them from what more modern movies can accomplish.  

1)Regardless of how Pacino spoke, I didn't like his performance.
2)I know it's considered that,but that does not obligate me to love it. 
When did I say anything like that?  

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2011 at 5:39pm
I disagree on at least one point: Pacino totally mailed it in with his performance in Any Given Sunday. That shouldn't be surprising. It was a dreadful movie and he was so wildly miscast it isn't hard to understand why he didn't take it seriously.

Back to Pacino, if you have seen enough of his movies, you will know full well that he doesn't do anything half-assed.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 7:59am
1)I didn't review them, I commented on them. I didn't gave them my usual analysis, and as I did with THE GODFATHER.

2)I won't deny my age sometimes makes me look at movies differently, but I have a problem when people seem to only care about my age. There is no movie that everyone will like, and there never will be. But you respond to me as if I hated this one. I liked it, and gave it 4 stars out of 5.

I was talking about your other reviews of classic movies, ie. "2001" and "Ghostbusters". There's a reason why most professional critics are old men, they grew up watching movies from different eras, and they do not judge them from what more modern movies can accomplish.

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:04pm
Well, nowadays, Pacino "mails it in" almost all the time, but I was just mentioning his overuse of both whisphering and yelling.  

RESPONSE from head RAZZberry: Hence, Pacino has already been a RAZZIE® nominee more than once -- and will likely be again this year, depending on how big a fool he makes of himself playing "himself" falling in love with Adam Sandler in drag in JACK & JILL...

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:08pm
Well, like it or not, age is a big factor in whether  you're going to like certain movies. If you're under the age of 30, and you give a perfect score to some popcorn movie that's all CGI and no story, but then give a low score to a classic black and white movie, people will write you off as being too young and not knowing what makes a good movie. 

That's just the way it works, and why most critics are old men, because after 30-50 years of movie watching, they should know what a good movie is.  

2)I won't deny my age sometimes makes me look at movies differently,but I have a problem when people seem to only care abouit my age.

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:43am
SuperTeenTopia: 

1)How many of my reviews(not comments) have you read all the way through?  

2)Why do you assume I dislike all the old movies I've seen?  

3)Why would they hire me if I'm "too young"?

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:52am
Vits --  

1. I've read most of what you posted here. 

2. Based on what you have posted, it seems you're often unimpressed by classic films.  

3. Who hired you? Are you professional, or just a some guy who posts reviews on IMDb.com for his own amusement?

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 9:34am
1)Most of what I post here are comments,not reviews.That's why I asked.If you think my opinions are wrong, that's fine, because that's also an opinion, which is the whole point. But I want you to read first my fulll reviews -- The link is in my signature. 

2)Come on.I've been through enough forums to know the deal. Let's say that of all the classics I've seen, I've liked most of them. But you wouldn't care. You would just care about the ones I didn't like. I said that I liked 3 of the 4 main performances in THE GODFATHER and all you care was about one of them. If you disagree with me, fine. But at least admit that statement is true.

3)Sorry, I forgot you're new here. I now work as a film critic for the magazine La Pollera. That link is also in my signature.

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 9:59am
I just want legit reasons as to why you give less than perfect scores to classic movies based on one thing you disapproved of. As I said, one point away because you didn't like one main peformance, or slow pacing, or dated special effects, I can understand, but with three points or more, there needs to be stronger reasons like a big plothole or something. And like many other who posted here, I find the 10 point method to be heavily flawed and confusing. But again, that's just me.

As for your status as a critic, well, I'm sure Chile has different mindsets about a critic's age. In your country, age might not matter, but it does in America. In America, the older the critic is, the more he's respected because people think of him as seeing alot of movies for most of his life and knowing what is good and bad, where as younger critics are looked at as the "hipster" critic who is just brought in to say if they thought a popcorn movie was good or not. Prime examples would be Peter Travers as the wise, old critic with decades of experience, and the Spill.com critics as guys who are just having fun while watching and rating movies.  

2)Come on.I've been through enough forums to know the deal.Let's say that of all the classics I've seen,I've liked most of them.But you wouldn't care.You would just care about the ones I didn't like.I said that I liked 3 of the 4 main performances in THE GODFATHER and all you care was about one of them.If you disagree with me,fine.But at least admit that statement is true.

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 11:18am
Since we're on that subject,I want to take back when I asked SchumacherH8ter why did he gave C or D when he listed more bad things.Now,I see why.While I didn't gave say enough reasons as to why I didn't gave it a 10 it's because that's just how the movie felt to me...deserving of a 7.I don't review every movie I see because my reviews are for cases where I don't just want to say how I felt but also to deconstruct and analyze the movie and say why it deserves a certain grade.THE GODFATHER is clearly a berry good movie and it deserves to be called one of the best movies ever.But for me it just didn't feel that entertaining or artistic.And,regardless of his methods,I simply didn't like Pacino's performance which is also a matter of opinion and if I believed him or not,and I didn't.Isn't that a reason to not love the movie,even if it's not enough to lower the grade?  

I just want legit reasons as to why you give less than perfect scores to classic movies based on one thing you disapproved of.

Don't worry,I've lived there and I know you think that below Mexico the world ends.

Explain me something:If Travers
is older,why are his reviews full of humour too?Isn't that a method to appeal for younger audiences?  

In your country, age might not matter, but it does in America. In America, the older the critic is, the more he's respected because people think of him as seeing alot of movies for most of his life and knowing what is good and bad, where as younger critics are looked at as the "hipster" critic who is just brought in to say if they thought a popcorn movie was good or not. Prime examples would be Peter Travers as the wise, old critic with decades of experience, and the Spill.com critics as guys who are just having fun while watching and rating movies.

I have nor will never say I know more than someone older,because I know I don't.But is that a reason my opinion shouldn't be respected at all?Like I said,I don't review all movies.I do it when I have something new to add to the table,not to change others's opinions,but so they can consider it.Let's assume that I hated a certain aspect in a classic and then analyze why and it turns out I'm right.Will people stop loving that movie?No,they'll just love it despite the flaw.And I wouldn't care.Giving a movie a grade(which is something everyone does in some degree)isn't about calculating a concensus of details,it's how a movie made you feel after you've seen it.

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 5:22pm
1. That's why SchmacherH8ter's reviews are my favorites here. He gives short, semi-detailed reasons why he's giving the grades that he does, and through his writing, you understand why those aspects are so bad. But your opinion of "Godfather" is your right, I was just questioning why the score you gave it was ... given. But after a page worth of debate, I'll leave you to it. 

2. I was talking about the older age means more serious thing within the critic industry, but to use humor for younger audiences has to be done in order to make the old critics relatable, for two reasons: A. The critics won't come across as bitter old farts who hate all modern filmmaking like CGI, and B. A large percentage of movie goers are young (13-25). That's probably why Spill.com is so popular, they're young and they use humor in everything. 

1. Since we're on that subject,I want to take back when I asked SchumacherH8ter why did he gave C or D when he listed more bad things.Now,I see why.While I didn't gave say enough reasons as to why I didn't gave it a 10 it's because that's just how the movie felt to me...deserving of a 7.I don't review every movie I see because my reviews are for cases where I don't just want to say how I felt but also to deconstruct and analyze the movie and say why it deserves a certain grade.THE GODFATHER is clearly a berry good movie and it deserves to be called one of the best movies ever.But for me it just didn't feel that entertaining or artistic.And,regardless of his methods,I simply didn't like Pacino's performance which is also a matter of opinion and if I believed him or not,and I didn't.Isn't that a reason to not love the movie,even if it's not enough to lower the grade?
2. Don't worry,I've lived there and I know you think that below Mexico the world ends.

Explain me something:If Travers is older,why are his reviews full of humour too?Isn't that a method to appeal for younger audiences?

I have nor will never say I know more than someone older,because I know I don't.But is that a reason my opinion shouldn't be respected at all?Like I said,I don't review all movies.I do it when I have something new to add to the table,not to change others's opinions,but so they can consider it.Let's assume that I hated a certain aspect in a classic and then analyze why and it turns out I'm right.Will people stop loving that movie?No,they'll just love it despite the flaw.And I wouldn't care.Giving a movie a grade(which is something everyone does in some degree)isn't about calculating a concensus of details,it's how a movie made you feel after you've seen it.

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 10:17am
I just saw FULL METAL JACKET.

Both the pacing and the tone are inconsistent(specially because this is 2 movies into 1).The narration seemed like a last minute adition.And,though most of the dramatic moments are gripping,a few are manipulative.The best example is LAWRENCE/GOMER PYLE.His
"change" was too rushed and after he dies he's never mentioned again and it seems they wanted us to forget about him.Then what was the point?

But the main problem is the intention.There's a scene where PRIVATE JOKER wears a helmet that says "Born to kill" and he also has the peace sign.He's asked why and he doesn't know how to answer.This is where I realize they're trying to show us their stand on the war.But it's never clear.Are they against it?Do they support it?Neither?Both?What does both really mean?I'm not saying one has to take a stand,let alone show it in the movie,but like I said,they tried to do it...and failed.

I give this 6/10.If you want a better Vietnam War movie,watch PLATOON(9/10).

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2011 at 12:30pm
The whole Lawerance thing was a message about the process in which an average Joe is made into a soldier and how  doesn't always work out as planned. I felt that his change was not rushed, and after all the mental and physical crap he was put through, a descent into madness seemed unavoidable. He's not mentioned again because they are no longer living in that phrase of their lives of soldiers, it's like looking back at childhood when you're an adult, you're past that point. They are no longer "maggots", they are now actual soldiers, so why bother reflecting about their time as "maggots"?

The point of Private Joker is the conflicting opinions of war. Yes, he writes "born to kill" on his helmet, but what happens in the end when he has to kill? He won't do it. It's easy to say you're going to kill someone, but it's not so easy to do it, and that was something he needed to learn. Joker hid behind quotes and sayings, but when faced with reality, he had nothing to say. And this grey area was the whole point of the movie. It's not there to tell you what's right or wrong, it shows you both sides, and it's up for you to judge for yourself, and that's the best kind of war movie and this movie showcased this perfectly.

4/5 in my opinion. And Platoon is also 4/5 in my opinion, but I'll take FMJ over Platoon anyday, for its more raw look at war and how it's not for everyone.

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2011 at 7:57pm
I love both Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. While Platoon is better made, Full Metal Jacket is more memorable. Alas, they both have nothing on Apocalypse Now, the best war movie ever and my 5th favorite movie of all time!

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2011 at 8:33pm
I for one would like to know what your Top 10 Favorite Movies of All-Time are, SchumacherH8ter -- if you wouldn't mind.

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2011 at 9:38pm
Here goes:  

1.) Raiders Of The Lost Ark   
2.) 2001: A Space Odyssey   
3.) The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly  
4.) Raging Bull  
5.) Apocalypse Now  
6.) The Exorcist 
7.) Unforgiven  
8.) Pulp Fiction  
9.) Memento  
10.) The Wild Bunch.

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2011 at 5:13am
Nice list! 

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:05pm
HeadRAZZ: I finally got around to watching Sunset Blvd. I threw that one in between The Exorcist and Unforgiven, and bumped Memento down to the high 20s'.

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:08pm
Don't you mean you bumped THE WILD BUNCH down?

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 3:04pm
Blasphemy!  

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

HeadRAZZ: I finally got around to watching Sunset Blvd. I threw that one in between The Exorcist and Unforgiven, and bumped Memento down to the high 20s'. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 4:47pm
I forgot to mention that I watched Memento for the first time in a while. While still one of the best movies ever, I realized that I may have ranked it too high!

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2011 at 8:33pm
There's no such thing as "Memento" being ranked "too high" on any Best Movies List!

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 7:58pm
Just a fun thing I wanted to point out, while Vits hates the sfx from "GhostBuster" ... that sfx was up for an Oscar for Best Visual Effects that year. Proving that in the end, what is cutting edge 25+ years ago, will look like crap 25+ years later and shouldn't be compared by today's standards.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 7:09am
1)I know they were nominated. When I research a movie after watching it, I like looking at the awards it was nominated for and/or won.  

2)I don't hate the FX.I dislike them, but they're not the worst I've seen. 

3)I don't dislike them because they look bad compared with modern movies.I dislike them because they look bad compared with movies made before,like "2001" and STAR WARS. 

4)I thought you said "the Oscars didn't matter".

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 8:26am
"2001" and "Star Wars" weren't using CGI (it wasn't invented yet). "Ghostbusters" was, and CGI was still in its baby stage at the time.  

3)I don't dislike them because they look bad compared withmodern movies.I dislike them because they look bad compared withmovies made before,like "2001" and STAR WARS.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 9:08am
I know that.But regardless of the methods,rating the FX is about how it looks on-screen.When it comes to movies released this year*,I think the FX in MOON,which were done "old school",were as good as SKYLINE,SOURCE CODE,SUCKER PUNCH,SUPER 8,THOR and TRANSFORMERS 3.

*In Chile.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 11:28am
Again, my point was that CGI was new in 1984, and that DOES play a major factor in why it might not look good. How is the movie suppose to look great using a new technology for the first time? Method only plays a factor NOW because CGI has been perfected since 1984.

Look at "A Sound Of Thunder", that's CGI ... in 2005! It looks like crap and has no excuse to look that way considering CGI has been the leading form of sfx for years now. So "GhostBusters" I can forgive because it was testing new waters, "ASOT" I can't because it could have done much better than that (and the fact everything else about the movie sucked as well).

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:59pm
To correct you, I think CGI started in 1982 with Tron.

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:31am
And even then, it wasn't THAT impressive to look at!

-------------

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 11:55am
For people at the time, I'm sure it was! Smile    

And even then, it wasn't THAT impressive to look at!

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 4:52pm
Oh yes, in 1982, those effects were mind blowing. However, the story wasn't. And look what happened 30 years later, people don't care for the movie because of how dated the effects are. I bet in 30 years, "Avatar" will also be laughed at for its effects being dated and the story be so paper thin.  
Originally posted by whatsthepoint

For people at the time, I'm sure it was! Smile    

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2011 at 4:38pm
I just saw YELLOW SUBMARINE,but won't review it.

I wasn't looking forward to seeing this.While I like The Beatles's music just as much as everyone,there are songs I don't like.And mainly,I'm against psychodelic cinema.Among the many reasons,one is that the filmmakers are clearly afraid of connecting with the audience so they don't even try,but that's not the case here.Yes,it's a bunch of weird images,but they still want you to be invested in the story.

So what is the problem with this movie?Most of the jokes fall flat,and some are berry predictable.And while the shots are obviously creative,a lot of the angles don't make sense.Also,and I may be wrong here because of the FX discussion,but I think the animation isn't berry good.Movies from 30 years before looked better.

It's weird how I didn't notice that the HEY,BULLDOG sequence was out of place*.Probably because I wasn't looking for sense in the movie.

For those who've seen it,I hope you agree with me on this:
1)
THE BEATLES were also meanies.At one point,a creature fell inside the YELLOW SUBMARINE,they called it ugly,it cried,and they threw it outside.
2)In one of the DVD's interviews,it was mentioned that the BLUE MEANIES were originally going to be purple,and then they were changed to blue because they were trying to take away the music to bring everybody down.But by doing so,everyone and everything started to loose it's color.So they should've been the GREY MEANIES.

I give it 7/10.

*You should look up the story on how that sequence was made.

-------------

Date Posted: October 02 2011 at 5:13pm
I just saw ZELIG,and gave it 3/10.

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2011 at 7:45am
I just saw PLANET OF THE APES.

Charlton Heston was so over the top,and so was the music.And the camera work was all over the place.But the biggest flaw was that during the last part it wasn't subtle anymore about it's messages.

Because it has a twist ending everybody knows about*,I tried to pretend I didn't know.It was still shocking because of how they presented.Not to mention that the movie overall was so entertaining it didn't matter anyways,Despite not being a comedy,it was a berry zany satire.I'd like to point out that I felt it wasn't targeted towards religion.I felt it was targeted towards fanatism.

I give it 9/10.

*Who was the genious that put
the Statue Of Liberty on the DVD cover?!

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2011 at 7:44pm

More than 40 years after it's original release, placing the Statue of Liberty on the DVD cover isn't exactly a spoiler.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2011 at 9:01am
OK,maybe I exagerated with "everybody knows the twist ending".Regardless,I find it disrespectful.

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2011 at 10:47am
I just saw Pink Floyd's THE WALL,and gave it 6/10.Also,I recently saw CUJO(same rating)but didn't post it here because I wasn't sure it's a classic or not.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2011 at 6:09pm
I'm a MASSIVE Pink Floyd fan, so I loved The Wall.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2011 at 5:08am
That's what my dad said.

You know,it's kind of weird liking a movie knowing that http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084503/faq - the people that made it didn't like it .

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2011 at 11:28am
There are other instances of a good film not being liked by its makers: Alec Guinness and Star Wars, Fritz Lang and Metropolis, Mike Judge and Office Space, (at first) etc.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2011 at 4:28pm
I just saw THE LAST EMPEROR, and gave it 5/10.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2011 at 3:49pm
I just saw DEAD POETS SOCIETY. I had actually seen it school during class, but of course had to see it again to rate it.

It's ironic how the scenes with the DEAD POETS SOCIETY meetings were the least interesting. They weren't boring, but if I compare every scene in the movie, those were the least interesting.

I give it 9/10.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2012 at 7:04am
I've now added a segment for classics. This time, I commented on two:
[TUBE]GFh8dPX_Vn8[/TUBE]
If you prefer, skip to 06:44.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 11:03am
[TUBE]lUM27OSr3Og[/TUBE]
If you prefer, skip to 03:12.

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2012 at 12:04pm
[TUBE]STuSpwxTDjo[/TUBE]
If you prefer, skip to 06:30 (and then continue watching the Franchises segment). If you're SchumacherH8ter, skip to 02:05.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2012 at 9:46am
Skip to 01:40.
[TUBE]cEM-p3ojVeM[/TUBE]
Thoughts?

Also, just to clarify, you guys can also talk about the classics you see.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2012 at 1:10pm
Skip to 01:32.
[TUBE]U9baxVlk7T0[/TUBE]
Thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 12:31pm

I just saw THE GODFATHER. Yes, THE THE GODFATHER.
And now I've finished the trilogy. Skip to 06:02.
[TUBE]EgIRtrYt0AU[/TUBE]
Any thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2012 at 3:49pm
Skip to 03:06.
[TUBE]i2Xx6CyNbbY[/TUBE]
Thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 1:10pm
I just watched The 39 Steps by Alfred Hitchcock. I give it an A+.

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 8:40pm

I've been on a classic movie binge lately. I just watched Sergei Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky and Woody Allen's Crimes And Misdemeanors back-to-back. They both get an A+. Other classic movies that I have out right now are Diabolique (Criterion edition), Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder, and The Dirty Dozen, The Expendables of the '60s starring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, and Charles Bronson.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2012 at 9:04am
The only one of those movies I've seen is CRIMES & MISDEMEANORS. It was hard watching it after MATCH POINT, its rip-off, but I still liked it. 8/10.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2012 at 9:53pm
Here's the classic movies that I picked up from Le Moyne today: Belle De Jour, presented by Martin Scorsese and starring Catherine Deneuve, Le Belle Noiseuse, Fritz Lang's The Big Heat, and The Big Red One starring Luke Skywalker and Lee Marvin who was, also, in The Big Heat. Those and The Dirty Dozen make three Lee Marvin movies on my kitchen counter.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 2:18pm
I got around to watching Dial M For Murder. I give it an A. As for the classic movies I got today, I got Robert Altman's 3 Women (Criterion edition), Blowup, and Cabiria from 1914! That's older than my Grandma.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 2:30pm
Dial M for Murder: In which the key situation is more confusing than Inception itself.

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 9:39pm
Yeah, if it wasn't so confusing, then I would have given it an A+.

I just finished watching Diabolique. I give it an A-.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 9:21pm
Today I watched The Big Heat (really awesome, A+) and two Luis Bunuel films, his Salvador Dali collaboration Un Chien Andalou and Bellee De Jour (both get A-). Un Chien Andalou is only 16 minutes long and is on YouTube.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:59am
Over the past few days I've seen Blowup (A), The Big Red One (B+), and The Dirty Dozen (A+, The Expendables should have been like this.)

I've gotten Pandroa's Box, Decalogue, Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, Enter The Dragon, and, because my niece is going to be in town, a collection of vintage Mickey Mouse shorts (including Steamboat Willie) from the Le Moyne library.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 3:53pm
Skip to 03:54.
[TUBE]zWC_5J3rBhA[/TUBE]
Any thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2012 at 6:48pm
3 Women: Really good. Robert Altman's direction is great, the score is amazing, and the acting is good. How did this not get any Oscar nods? Grade: A+

La Belle Noiseuse: A deeply moving tale about a reclusive artist who gets back into the game. Also, it has an INSANE amount of nudity in it. Grade: A+

New movies I picked up: Evil Dead.

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 02 2012 at 8:00pm
F*CK YEAH!, EVIL DEAD!

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Date Posted: July 05 2012 at 5:49pm
Cabiria: Really good! It moves at a brisk pace for the first hour, but kinda slows down towards the end. Has good action scenes that still hold up. Grade: A+

Enter The Dragon: Insanely awesome. Great action scenes with an explosive finale, but the script is kinda light. Grade: A-

Pandora's Box: Started really good, but slowed down immensly towards the end. Grade: B+

Movies I picked up today: Bob Le Flambeur (Criterion release), A Cry In The Dark ("A dingo ate my baby"), A Face In The Crowd, A Fish Called Wanda, The Formula (one of the first Worst Picture nominees), and a collection of Frankenstein films including the Boris Karloff original, Bride, Son, Ghost, and House.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2012 at 3:48pm
Bob Le Flambeur: Really good. The score is amazing, the acting is good, and the camera work is deft. Grade: A+

A Fish Called Wanda: Kinda overrated. It's a good movie, but not as good as most people say it is. Grade: B+

The Formula: Boring! A good performance from George C. Scott can't save this movie. Grade: C-

Frankenstein: Really good and creepy in many places. Grade: A-

Bride Of Frankenstein: A masterpiece. The first movie to enter my top 100 in a few monthes. Grade: A+

Son Of Frankenstein: Not as good as the last two, but still good. Bela Lugosi stole the show as Ygor, but Boris Karloff didn't get enough screentime. Grade: B

Gertie The Dinosaur: One of the most revolutionary animated films ever. It can be found on YouTube. Grade: A+

Movies I picked up: The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse and The Leopard.

I was wondering about something: should I let short films on my best ever list? When I say short films, I don't mean super old movies that are short by today's standards, but regular length back then like A Trip To The Moon or Gertie. Like, should I add Duck Amuck to my best ever list?

-------------

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: July 07 2012 at 4:58pm
I would add either Gertie, Duck Amuck, Steamboat Willie (or even What's Opera Doc?) to my list of best cartoon shorts.

I was wondering about something: should I let short films on my best ever list? When I say short films, I don't mean super old movies that are short by today's standards, but regular length back then like A Trip To The Moon or Gertie. Like, should I add Duck Amuck to my best ever list?

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: July 09 2012 at 10:09am
A Face In The Crowd: A f*cking masterpiece! Andy Griffith is great and the fact that this got zero Oscar nods is a f*cking shame! Grade: A+

The Ghost Of Frankenstein: Kinda dissapointing. It's not bad and Bela Lugosi still steals the show, but Boris Karloff's exit from the franchise is an albatross around the movie's neck. Grade: B-

House Of Frankenstein: An utter letdown. Dracula barely gets any screentime and the final fight with The Wolfman and Frankenstein's monster is anti-climatic. The acting is decent though. Grade: C+

New movies: Drugstore Cowboy, Fury, Gojira, and Grave Of Fireflies.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2012 at 2:35pm
A Cry In The Dark: OK. Not as good as some of Streep's other performances, but it's not bad. Grade: B-

Drugstore Cowboy: Really good. Future Razzie winner Gus Van Sant does good at directing and look for future Boogie Nights/Hangover star Heather Graham as a junkie with a sad fate. Grade: B+

Evil Dead: A horror classic. Good as it is, I still prefer the sequel. Grade: B+

The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse: Really good. The special effects are really good for their time and the story is great. Grade: A+

New movies: Grand Illusion (Criterion release), Gun Crazy, Harold And Maude, and The Freshman.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2012 at 3:09pm
Is it wrong that I haven't seen any of the movies you have posted about for the last few days?

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2012 at 5:04pm
No Vits. In fact, I kind of like it since now you (and anyone else here who hasn't heard about them) know about them.

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:43pm
Skip to 05:12.
[TUBE]M3-wRGv-sl8[/TUBE]

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2012 at 7:51pm
I've been neglecting my Razzie duties so here's some of the classic movies I've been watching lately. Including one of the best movies ever.

Harold And Maude: A good offbeat comedy with a great Cats Stevens score. Grade: A+

Grave Of The Fireflies: I'm not a fan of anime, but this is still as great movie. Grade: A+

Heart Of Glass: Has great directing, music, and cinematography. Grade: A+

Gojira: Great action scenes and special effects, but the story is kinda thin. Grade: A-

The Freshman: A funny Harold And Lloyd comedy that's not quite as good as Safety Last! Grade: A

Grand Illusion: One of the first prison escape movies and a great one. Grade: A+

The Decalogue: One of the crowning achievement sin world cinema. The best movies were I, V, and X. Grade: A+

Hondo: A good John Wayne movie that turns into a great one thanks to a kick ass battle scene towards the end. Grade: B+

Paths Of Glory: A great war movie that set the standards for most war movies and one of Stanley Kubrick's best movies, which is saying a lot. The Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan was an homage to a scene from this movie. Grade: A+

Hoosiers: A nice easy-going movie that entertaining to watch. Grade: B+

High Anxiety: Not as good as some of Mel Brooks' other movies but still funny. Best scenes: a mental patient who thinks he's a dog humps Harvey Korman's leg, Brooks getting attacked by Jaws parody in a phonebooth, and the Psycho parody with a young Barry Levinson. Grade: B

City Lights: I could go into details about how great this movie, but instead I'll say this: much like how Rotten Asshole is for really, really bad movies, I have a grade called Perfection for really, really good ones. Grade: Perfection

If any of my Twitter followers are reading this and wondering why I City Lights an A+ on Twitter instead of Perfection, I won't use Perfection or Rotten Asshole on Twitter because regular Twitter users who don't know about my special grades will be confused. It's like a comic book that uses something in the comic as an important plot point without explaining it.

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:21am

High Anxiety: Not as good as some of Mel Brooks' other movies but still funny. Best scenes: a mental patient who thinks he's a dog humps Harvey Korman's leg, Brooks getting attacked by Jaws parody in a phonebooth, and the Psycho parody with a young Barry Levinson. Grade: B

City Lights: I could go into details about how great this movie, but instead I'll say this: much like how Rotten Asshole is for really, really bad movies, I have a grade called Perfection for really, really good ones. Grade: Perfection
[Raising hand] I know those ones! I know those ones! I have to re-watch CITY LIGHTS (I saw it years ago). As for HIGH ANXIETY, I gave it a 7/10.

-------------

Date Posted: July 21 2012 at 3:22pm
Skip to 03:24.
[TUBE]Zpllrxn3_cc[/TUBE]
Any thougths?

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2012 at 7:47pm
Time for my weekly report on classic movies.

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame: Charles Laughton and the overall movie is good. There's some werid casting though like Irish Maureen O'Hara as Esmerelda. Grade: A-

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler: A good movie, with a few big flaws like the character of Det. Wenk and how the movie goes on for much longer than it should. Grade: B+

Hud: Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, and Melvyn Howard are good, but the movie has major pacing problems. Grade: A-

Imitation Of Life: It has good acting and a surprisingly forward message for a movie that came out before MLK got his start. It, also, has pacing problems too. Grade: A-

In A Lonely Place: A great noir witha good Bogart performance. Grade: A+

Ikiru: Akira Kurasawa's done it again. Grade: A+

The Hustler: Paul Newman gives another good performance, but Jakcie Gleason bests him as Minnesota Fats. Grade: A

The Virgin Spring: The precurser to The Last House On The Left is a great movie. It follows the basic plotline as Last House, but it has better acting. Grade: A+

Nanook Of The North: The first full-length documentary. The tita character died before the film was released, but I'm sure he'd be proud that his "aggie" helped create a film genre.

The Jungle Book: Not as good as some of Disney's other movies, but it's still pretty good. It starts out kinds slow, but it gets good when Baloo shows up. Grade: B+

Jezebel: Bette Davis is good in her Oscar winning role. Look for a pre Grapes Of Wrath Henry Fonda. Grade: A+

The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie: It goes on for longer than it should, but it's still worth a watch. Ben Gazzara is good and John Cassevetes' direction is good. Grade: A

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2012 at 2:45pm
Skip to 04:03.
[TUBE]CYeQFcQgDMQ[/TUBE]
Any thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2012 at 4:28pm
It Happened One Night: The first of the Oscar sweepers and it deserves it. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert give great performances. Grade: A+

It: Clara Bow's good, but the movie gets kinda boring towards the end. Grade: A-

Joe: The novelty of Susan Sarandon's first movie and Peter Byle's good performance can't stop this movie from blowing. Grade: C+

Intolerance: All the technical skill of Birth Of A Nation with none of the horrifying racism. Grade: A+

Jules And Jim: A great story with good acting. Francois Truffault's direction is great. Grade: A+

Kind Hearts And Coronets: Alec Guinness is good in all of his roles and the story is great and hilarious. Grade: A+

Laura: The movie that turned Otto Preminger into an auteur. Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews give good performances. Grade: A+

The Best Years Of Our Lives: Great acting, directing, great everything. That being said, it wasn't the best movie its year (It's A Wonderful Life was). Grade: A+

Steamboat Bill, Jr.: For a movie that came out in 1928, the special effects are great. Great directing and a funny as Hell performance from Buster Keaton only help. Grade: A+

Kramer V.S. Kramer: A good movie, but not a good Best Picture winner. Grade: B+

Lady And The Tramp: Somehow, a movie about talking dogs has a better romance than 99% of the romantic comedies that have come out in the last decade. Grade: A+

The Lady Eve: Barbara Stanwyck gives a great and funny performance. Henry Fonda is great as well. Grade: A+

The Lion In Winter: Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, and a young Anthony Hopkins give great performances in here. Grade: A+

Robocop 2: Not as good as the first one, but it's still worth a watch, mainly because of the Frank Miller-written script. Grade: B-

The Ladykillers: Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, and Herbert Lom are funny in this. Grade: B+

The Lost World: The special effects are great for their time, but the movie's kinda boring. Grade: B

Lolita: Great acting (specifically Peter Sellers) and Stanley Kubrick's brilliant direction help overcome the squickiness of the plot. Grade: A+

Red River: One of John Wayne's better movies. Highlights include an epic cowboy v.s. Indian battle and the brief end fight. Grade: A+

Rio Bravo: Not as good as Red River, but it's still insanely watchable. Grade: A+

Best movie I saw for the first time* last week: The Best Years Of Our Lives

*I re-watched The Wild Bunch and The Searchers this week and the're boh better than The Best Years Of Our Lives.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2012 at 4:29pm
Jesus, I watched a lot of movies last week!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window