Print Page | Close Window

Members' Discussion of SMURFS 3-D

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on SMURFS 3-D
Forum Discription: Where to Post Yer Thoughts...and Find Reviews, B.O. #s, and Cetera...
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5222
Printed Date: July 23 2014 at 4:45am

Topic: Members' Discussion of SMURFS 3-D
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Members' Discussion of SMURFS 3-D
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 8:42am
HOW MUCH DO YOU HATE IT?  

HERE's WHERE to RANT 'TILL YER BLUE in the FACE ABOUT HOW LOATHSOME YOU THINK the BERRY EXISTENCE of http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum-discussion-addl-info-on-smurfs-3d_forum546.html - IS... 

AND, SPEAKING of RANTS, HERE's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/official-razzie-take-on-smurfs-3d_forum545.html - to CHECK OUT YE OLDE HEAD RAZZ-BERRY's TAKE on the FILM AS WELL... 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 11:56am

It's starting out by smelling of rotten blueberries. The first review on Rotten T is negative!

The fact they'd make a movie like this makes me want to bulldoze the Smurf's tree territory and steal all the Smurfberries. Just one Smurfberry would be enough to power a large elementary school for 2 months.

And don't forget: The Smurfs replace every noun, verb, and adjective with "Smurf". I can only guess how unpleasant that can get. Even the Marklars replaced only nouns with Marklar; they didn't do that for verbs and adjectives.

And if they're blue, and "Smurf" rhymes with surf, why are they so rarely seen in water?

By the way, everyone: merry Christmas in July!

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 12:42pm
I really dislike this movie.... I don't like the cartoons... But I however can't dislike the comics (and therefor I can't dislike The Smurfs)...

-------------

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 1:04pm
So that's it? This is what kiddie movies will be from now on?Live-action movies with one or more CG characters who go to either New York or L.A. to melt somebody's heart? And at some point they sing and/or play instruments?

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: Grounder the Critic
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 1:06pm
We all know that this is another cash cow ripped off from our childhoods like Yogi Bear, Alvin and the Chipmunks, or Trannies...  

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 3:14pm
I wish Head Razz hadn't locked his rant on the Smurf's because I wanted to applaud his remarks there. 

I, TOO, HATE THE SMURFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THEM! Did I mention that I hate the Smurfs? I don't usually use the word "hate," because it should convey a very powerful emotion. In this case, I have one. I HATE THE SMURFS. 

Oh...btw...there is a new installment of Alvin coming out, too...I think it is called Chipwrecked. I wish I were kidding.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's the http://www.razzies.com/forum/ye-olde-head-razzberrys-rant_topic5223.html -
FYI: We now "lock" the various Forum pages in addition to our Member Discussion (My Take, Cast & Credits, Official Site, Reviews, Box Office, etc.) because this allows us to append paid advertising to those pages, and thus compensate the guy who does most of the tech work to keep our site going...  

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: MiguelAntilsu
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 8:28pm

The way I see it, it's gonna be hard for this movie to grab a Razzie nomination with 'Zookeeper', 'The Roommate', two Sandler/Dugan projects ('Jack & Jill' and 'Just Go With It'), three threequels ('Big Momma's House 3', 'Transformers 3' and 'Alvin 3') and two fourquels ('Spy Kids 4' and 'Twilight 4') in the hunt.

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 9:44pm
Yes, Vits, you hit the nail on the head. This how EVERY kiddie movie plays out nowadays.

1. Cute creature or child is down on his/her/its luck, and moves away from his/her/its home.
2. Cute creature or child meets an adult human who is also down on his/her luck with their life.
3. Adult human doesn't like cute creature or child until adult human realizes that cute creature or child can help him/her reach his/her main goal in life.
4. Cute creature or child happily help the adult human, not realizing he/she/it is being used, while the adult human starts to enjoy the company or cute creature of child.
5. Adult human reaches life goal, but cute creature or child realized he/she/it was being used the whole time and flees from adult human.
6. Cute creature or child gets into trouble and is saved at the zero hour by adult human, who confesses his/her love of the cute creature or child, even if it means giving up on his/her life goal.
7. Cute creature or child and adult human live happily ever after as a loving family.

Rinse and repeat.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 9:46pm
Oh, I'm sure this can be squeezed into the Worst Remake/Reboot/Rip-Off category, so long as Worst Sequel/Prequel is its own category. 

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

The way I see it, it's gonna be hard for this movie to grab a Razzie nomination with 'Zookeeper', 'The Roommate', two Sandler/Dugan projects ('Jack & Jill' and 'Just Go With It'), three threequels ('Big Momma's House 3', 'Transformers 3' and 'Alvin 3') and two fourquels ('Spy Kids 4' and 'Twilight 4') in the hunt.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:37pm
Just so everyone is aware...I hate the smurfs.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 11:01pm
Why does S**t-Wood continue to rape "Kiddie Lit" like this, they should give respect to the original source material. Also, Sony Pictures Animation (who majorly contributed to this piece of s**t) have Arthur Christmas coming soon and could become a potential family disaster later this year.

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 3:33am
Katy Perry is in this. As a voice, sure, but she is still a possible Razzie target, especially since her husband is not having a good year either, movie wise...    

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 4:43am
Because S***-Wood, as you put it, is in the "raping of Kiddie Lit" business. In case you haven't noticed, just about every beloved cartoon of the 60s, 70s, and 80s either has been adapated into a hybrid CGI/live action movie this past decade, or will be adapted in this current decade. Why? Because there's profit in it. S***-Wood knows the children who watched these cartoon series are now grown-up and probably have children of their own. Chances are, these new parents would like to relive their childhood and pass it down to their own children by seeing a movie adaptation of their beloved cartoon of choice. But sadly, as you pointed out, S***-Wood takes many, many, MANY liberties with these adaptations, and the end result are festering turds that are related to the cartoon series in name and characters only. And like everything else in S***-Wood, the only way to make this stop is for millions of movie-goers to stop paying to see these festering turds. However, thanks to the reboot, it might not stop the production of future adaptations, and might instead result in a more brooding, serious, "post 9/11 attitude version" of future adaptations. 

Yeah, sucks, don't it?  

Originally posted by jesse685

Why does S**t-Wood continue to rape "Kiddie Lit" like this, they should give respect to the original source material.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 7:43am
Where this movie is concerned, you can't accuse Hollywood of raping kiddie lit. That would be like a prostitute complaining of being raped because the check bounced. By the way...I HATE THE SMURFS!

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 8:03am
In the trailer, there's a scene (which actually is kind of funny) where Neil Patrick Harris complains about the Smurfs' word-plays. At least they're doing some justice by admitting that.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 11:16am
Here's a little video that has saturnwatcher in mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfKeyAQydiU

I do wish this becomes a new Internet meme for all s*** movies!

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 11:58am
Oh. I thought maybe you got sick of our excess of posts! LOL    

Originally posted by Head Razzberry

We now "lock" the various Forum pages in addition to our Member Discussion (My Take, Cast & Credits, Official Site, Reviews, Box Office, etc.) because this allows us to append paid advertising to those pages, and thus compensate the guy who does most of the tech work to keep our site going...

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 2:41pm
That video was F**KING HILARIOUS!

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 2:43pm
Yeah, it does suck.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 4:07pm
Damn right it was!  

That video was F**KING HILARIOUS!

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:23pm
That is the only way I'll watch this smurfin piece of crap if it gets nominated for anything. LOL  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Here's a little video that has saturnwatcher in mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfKeyAQydiU

I do wish this becomes a new Internet meme for all s*** movies!

-------------

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:24pm
As good as the video was, it wasn't as good as the Hardcore/Jack & Jill one.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Posted By: Sofunny
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:32pm
You've got to be smurfing kidding me. How annoying is it that they substitute real words for smurf-isms. I do not think I can possibly sit through this movie.

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 7:15pm
NO SMURF SHERLOCK! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 8:16pm

Prepare the smurfing eye lid opening machine for saturnwatcher's smurfing viewing of the "Smurfs" movie for his future smurfing Razzie vote!

-------------

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 3:43am
Hello???? Does anyone feel that Katy Perry should be nominated?

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 5:54am
I feel sorry for Sony Pictures Animation, an in-house animation division of Columbia, since they were the ones who produce the Smurfs flick. I mean, their first film, Open Season, in my opinion, was okay, just the direct-to-video sequels were bad. Then, SPA improved when they made both Surf's Up and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 7:10am
I liked "C.W.A.C.O.M." It was a fun little family movie. However, this "Smurfs" movie, not so much fun ... or good for that matter. There's a reason why Pixar is the top animation studio: they almost always create good movies each and every time (with the exception of "Bug's Life" and the "Car" movies). 

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 7:28am
Yeah, Cloudy was (and still is) a funny and entertaining family flick. And I agree that Pixar is tops in animation, consistently making great movies (with the exception, like you said, of the Cars series).

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 1:31pm
I am truly horrified. The prospect that I may have to spend a considerable portion of the early part of 2012 watching Asshole Shrugged, The Often Defeated and The Smurfs is suddenly leaving me hoping the Mayans really did correctly predict apocalypse...well, at least that they only missed it by about 11 months.

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 1:55pm
This is at the dreaded 0% on Rotten Tomatoes... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_smurfs/ - link

I don't think that it will stay there (wide release-movies almost never do), but at least it's off to a bad start...

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 2:19pm
That is, until Armond White gives it a positive review.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 5:45pm
In that case, I'll update my front-runners immediately... 

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 6:34pm
Sounds like someone needs to have his survival bag ready, his escape vehicle fueled up, and his fallout shelter fully stocked!   

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I am truly horrified. The prospect that I may have to spend a considerable portion of the early part of 2012 watching Asshole Shrugged, The Often Defeated and The Smurfs is suddenly leaving me hoping the Mayans really did correctly predict apocalypse...well, at least that they only missed it by about 11 months.

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 9:43pm
@Saturnwatcher: The 2012 thing still needs various other things to happen, both movie and non-movie related.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1929394/ - The new Seltzerberg film isn't enough . Movie related, Baby Geniuses 3, Keanu Bebop, the live action Evangelion, and a Turbo Teen movie must be released before 12/21/2012.  The first three are in Development Hell (and the director of Baby Geniuses was killed by a drunk driver) and the latter...well, it may be developed in the future considering the existence of the Yogi and Smurfs, but there are other things to be butchered first.  These include Augie Doggie, Huckleberry Hound, Yakky Doodle, Shazzam, Space Ghost, Birdman, etc...and I am fully convinced some of these will occur in the near future...

Non-movie related includes all three professional sports teams winning championships, the Cubs winning the 2012 World Series, an IHOP in Dayton, OH...anyway, back to the topic at hand.

The Smurfs are the movie I wish could be frontrunner at the next Razzie awards.  These blue critters were something I did like to watch as a kid, from the origin of Smurfette to the one with the leaf pen that always answered questions to the Christmas episodes.  One episode I remember in particular was The Kaplowey Scroll, which had a magic word that made things disappear whenever the word was uttered. 

Sigh, if only I could KAPLOWEY! away this movie.  Then again, if it disappeared, we wouldn't be able to Razz it!

-------------

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 10:00pm
It bottomed out at 0% at Rotten T. Alas, I believe I'm recommending this for Worst Screenplay in the front runners topic. How many more half-live-action Hanna Barbera movies are they going to make before the end of 2012? What does Dayton, Ohio have to do with IHOP? And I don't think I could bear to watch the 2 Tea Party limited releases, let alone The Biggest Movie of All Time 3D. And they'll probably can Baby Geniuses 3.

This is my 800th post!

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 11:15pm
OK, what's next...The Banana Splits movie?????

-------------
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 4:41am

Here's a bit of trivia for y'all - Originally Quentin Tarantino was going to voice one of the Smurfs(!) 

All I can say is,  "Well done for backing out, Quentin." 

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 5:21pm
R.T.(9-13%):"It assembles an undeniably talented cast of voice actors and live-action stars,and then crushes them beneath a blue mound of lowest-common-denominator kiddie fare".

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 5:41pm
1. Yeah, hopefully those three you said are in development hell will stay there forever. As for "Turbo Teen", if it deals with something transforming into a car, H-Wood would be willing to do it, except the movie would have to address an issue that is no doubt on many people's mind ... if the guy turns into a car when he becomes hot, what happens if he has sex?

2. Cartoon Network's adult swim has already done Space Ghost and Birdman as parodies, and I doubt anyone remembers the shows that those characters were originally based on. As for the other characters you listed, they are the bottom of the barrel in terms of being pop culture favorites.

Originally posted by Berrynoia

1. Movie related, Baby Geniuses 3, Keanu Bebop, the live action Evangelion, and a Turbo Teen movie must be released before 12/21/2012.  The first three are in Development Hell (and the director of Baby Geniuses was killed by a drunk driver) and the latter...well, it may be developed in the future considering the existence of the Yogi and Smurfs, but there are other things to be butchered first. 

2. These include Augie Doggie, Huckleberry Hound, Yakky Doodle, Shazzam, Space Ghost, Birdman, etc...and I am fully convinced some of these will occur in the near future...

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:28pm
I'm just gonna say it right off the bat: I actually liked [adult swim]'s Space Ghost and Harvey Birdman.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 10:47pm
Harvey Birdman was hit-or-miss, but Space Ghost: Coast to Coast was/is still one of the funniest shows on adult swim. 

As for this movie... f**k this two bit horsesh*t of a movie, I still can't believe Neil Patrick Harris is in this sh*t.

-------------
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 1:59am
Yeah, Harris is a good actor and deserves better. Speaking of him, he was on Hamish and Andy's Gap Year and he did a parody of Indiana Jones, renaming himself Neil Patrick Harrison Ford. I thought it was funny.  

Originally posted by Mayhem5185

I still can't believe Neil Patrick Harris is in this sh*t.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 2:09pm
Bad news: This movie was #1 on Friday! Good news: It was only $13 million!

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 2:35pm
It appears this will wind up around 20% at R.T.    

Originally posted by Vits

R.T.(9-13%):"It assembles an undeniably talented cast of voice actors and live-action stars,and then crushes them beneath a blue mound of lowest-common-denominator kiddie fare".

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 3:12pm
Can you provide a link for the Friday box office numbers?

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-07-29&p=.htm -

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 3:23pm
You could also try checking it at IMDb.com...

-------------

Posted By: Berrynoia
Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 9:24am
Here's an interesting line from http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Cowboys--Aliens-Edged-by-Smurfs-at-Friday-Box-Office/9306 - this article : "Critics are calling for The Smurfs to lead the 2011 Razzies already"

Unfortunately, it has grossed $36.2 million and is in a dead heat with Cowboys & Aliens.  In time, it will probably make a profit and we may eventually have to endure two sequels.

Do you think we may be having a Blue & Gold Razzie Ceremony soon?

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 11:36am
According to Box Office Mojo, "Smurfs" and "Cowboys & Aliens" are in a dead heat with $36.2 million each.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Given the day-to-day gross patterns on each film, the final numbers could go either way as to which was actually/technically #1. But the fact that both films' claimed grosses are exactly even (even down to the decimal point) makes me suspicious that fudging of some kind went on here. Either both releasing companies (Universal and Sony) have spies in one another's camps (the likelier scenario) or the statistically unlikely has occurred, and both films actually did have the exact same gross. 

Guess we'll find out when actual/final grosses are released Monday.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 5:24pm
A lot of people must have been curious to see how bad 'The Smurfs' was.  Once tomorrow's actual numbers come out, we'll know exactly what the No. 1 movie was.  There is still the possibility that 'Cowboys & Aliens' may have edged out 'The Smurfs'.

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 6:09pm
Don't forget little kids can't necessarily tell a bad movie from a good one.

-------------

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 6:32pm
It's just parents taking their kids to see it. I'm sad that it actually made a lot of money -- They'll probably announce a sequel within a month.  

A lot of people must have been curious to see how bad 'The Smurfs' was.  Once tomorrow's actual numbers come out, we'll know exactly what the No. 1 movie was.  There is still the possibility that 'Cowboys & Aliens' may have edged out 'The Smurfs'.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 6:47pm
A month? They probably already have the first draft of the sequel prepared by now!

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 10:01pm
I don't know where they are in the process of revving up the sequel, Burn.  As of now, IMDbPro doesn't have a Smurfs sequel listed in their in-development section.  We do know that a sequel is (or soon will be) in the works.  That would give us another chance to slap this series if this one gets away.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 9:44am
Okay, if you want to get all technical, they probably just greenlighted the sequel this morning...

-------------

Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 1:37pm
Final box office figures have just been released for July 29-31, and COWBOYS & ALIENS actually topped SMURFS in total grosses by about $820,000 ( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2011&wknd=30&p=.htm -
Bottom line: COWBOYS made more money overall, but SMURFS actually sold more tickets...  

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 2:00pm
Miguel, Does IMDB PRO say anything about Hop 2 or Yogi Bear 2? I think that would be the clearest indicator of how high the chance is that there will be a Smurfs 2...

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 2:37pm
Bottom line: Smurfs is not #1 at the box office; Razzie members rejoice and prepare to vote for it either way.

-------------

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Vheid

Miguel, Does IMDB PRO say anything about Hop 2 or Yogi Bear 2? I think that would be the clearest indicator of how high the chance is that there will be a Smurfs 2...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brace-Yourselves-Warner-Bros-Is-Unleashing-Yogi-Bear-2-Upon-The-World-24927.html

Also Miguel don't use that sorry excuse for this film's box office!Wink

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 4:28pm
I predict the next cartoon series to have a piece of s*** movie adaptation: The Snorks! It will be exactly the same as this movie, but will place in LA instead of NYC!

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 6:02pm
Here's my Razzie-prediction, a live-action version of Wacky Races. Where they have Dastardly being played by Jason Statham and Muttley will be CGI'd. Plus, it will parody Death Race, The Cannonball Run, and The Fast and the Furious. That's crap, I know, but it will be good enough for a Razzie.

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 7:30pm
I'm betting on Smurf's vs. Aliens

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 8:47pm
In the spirit of the upcoming Olympic games,I foresee a Laff-A-Lympics movie as well, with H-Wood cramming as many Hanna Barbera characters into one movie as they can!

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 7:36am
I don't think that Cracked liked this: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-smurfs-worst-movie-ever/ - http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-smurfs-worst-movie-ever/

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 5:29pm
Worst movie ever? Wow, this is seriously gonna sweep the awards this year.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 5:31pm
Poor saturnwatcher is gonna to have to go all "Clockwork Orange" now.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 7:17pm
*sings* I'll have a blu-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-e Christmas.....  

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 7:27pm
Adaptations from old cartoons have gone far enough here. The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000), The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000), Scooby Doo (2002), Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004), The Pink Panther (2006), Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (2006), TMNT (2007), Alvin & the Chipmunks (2007), Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009), The Pink Panther 2 (2009), Yogi Bear (2010), and now this.

Not to mention the Smurfs already have quite the record with those who hate sugary children's cereal. They were so processed that something really disgusting happened back in 1983. Just go ahead and tell them about that whole fiasco with Smurf Berry Cruch, Mr. Burn! You seem at least old enough to have seen what went haywire!

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 7:58pm
You meant a "smurfing" good Christmas, right?  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

*sings* I'll have a bluuuuuuuuuuuue Christmas.....

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 8:01pm
Why did you omit the two "Garfield" movies, the one "GI Joe" movie, and three "Bayformers" movies from that list of s***? In other words, the past decade has been one "raping of childhood memories" after another, with no end in sight!  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Adaptations from old cartoons have gone far enough here. The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000), The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000), Scooby Doo (2002), Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004), The Pink Panther (2006), Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (2006), TMNT (2007), Alvin & the Chipmunks (2007), Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009), The Pink Panther 2 (2009), Yogi Bear (2010), and now this.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 8:24pm
These lists make me want to cry tears of blood. But it could be worse, I could be like saturnwatcher come this Christmas season, as he hears a continous loop of "LALALALALALA-LALALALALA" within his head!

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 9:50pm
I shall do unto you as I'd have you do unto me: Not leave your questions unanswered. The firstGarfield film (2004) never caught my attention. It was considered for the 2004 RAZZIES, but wasn't named to my Bottom 30 for that year. And I thought Transformers and GI Joe were toys LONG before they were cartoons, where as the films I listed above I was sure started out as cartoons. Again, I was focusing all on cartoons rather than toys or games. By the way, I liked Transformers 1, but hated the other two.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Why did you omit the two "Garfield" movies, the one "GI Joe" movie, and three "Bayformers" movies from that list of s***? In other words, the past decade has been one raping of childhood memories after the other, with no end to it in sight!

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:40pm
True, Transformers and G.I. JOE were toys before they became cartoons.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2011 at 5:09pm

True, Transformers and G.I. JOE were toys before they became cartoons.
Well, if you want to be all technical like that, wasn't "Pink Panter" just a mascot for a product? And wasn't "Garfield" a comic strip first? And wasn't "Alvin And The Chipmucks" a novelity album first? My point: it doesn't matter what they were before their cartoon series. In the end, all of the movies that GTAHater and Burn listed had a popular cartoon series at one point, and these unwatchable movies were made because of the fanbases that were created by those TV series, regardless of what form of media that they were originally created for. Burn is right, "Bayformers" and "GI Hoe" count. And "Garfield" doesn't get excused either, just because those movies slipped by GTAHater (no offense to you though).

-------------

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:08am
This movie should come out smelling like Blue RAZZberries...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:13am

Don't forget little kids can't necessarily tell a bad movie from a good one.

Neither can movie producers...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:02am
I was wondering what color a Smurf might turn when you're choking it...

-------------

Posted By: mbh
Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Sofunny

You've got to be smurfing kidding me. How annoying is it that they substitute real words for smurf-isms. I do not think I can possibly sit through this movie.

It's a very traumatic experience. It gets you to the point where you are practically in fear of having to suffer through the next terribly off-turning twist/performance, which happens every few seconds, interrupting being bored. Absolutely loathsome.

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Razzilla

I was wondering what color a Smurf might turn when you're choking it...
Actually, according to an (very) old Cartoon Network ad, the Smurfs are green, it's just that you have to adjust the color settings to your TV.

-------------

Posted By: thomsonmg2000
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I don't think that Cracked liked this: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-smurfs-worst-movie-ever/ - http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-smurfs-worst-movie-ever/

Cracked isn't far off in that assumption: http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-smurfs-review-5424649 - http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/the-smurfs-review-5424649

Seriously, what happened to children's movies these days?

-------------
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/

Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 1:45pm
I was just checking the "New Dates & Changes"-section at Box Office Mojo... And guess which movie has just been anounced...

Originally posted by moviewizguy

It's just parents taking their kids to see it. I'm sad that it actually made a lot of money -- They'll probably announce a sequel within a month.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 7:15pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Mayhem5185
Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 11:14pm
This is all i have to say about this:

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/the-7murfs.html - http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/the-7murfs.html

-------------
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 6:26pm
My friends and I have noticed these live action movies about 80s cartoons are all the same: There's a guy who wants to pitch an idea to his boss at work, but he is rejected. Then he meets a talking animal(s) or fairytale creature(s), and the animal(s)/creature(s) help him with his idea, which becomes a success, and everyone lives happily ever after. 

It's so "lather, rinse, repeat"!  

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: August 28 2011 at 10:25pm
BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: On Wikipedia's list of the top 10 grossing films of 2011, The Smurfs 3D has just replaced X-Men: First Class for the #10 spot. Now Dark of the Moon, On Stranger Tides, and The Hangover Part II have some very stiff competition for "Worst Film Everyone Saw." The only arguments left for Dark of the Moon being a Worst Picture finalist besides the front-of-camera work, are the squandered potential, and Michael Bay's half-baked keeping of promises.  On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II don't stand a chance in the 2011 RAZZIE race at this point.

Personally, I feel the same way Cartman did when Terrance & Phillip was replaced with She's the Sheriff in Episode 106.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 5:30am
A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-H!!!

-------------
Pictures move, do they?

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 7:55am
Since Wikipedia isn't reliable, here's a B.O. MoJo http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2011&p=.htm -

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 2:12pm

Since Wikipedia isn't reliable, here's a B.O. MoJo http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2011&p=.htm - - link to show that what GTA read on WikiPedia is not true...  

I think the confusion stems from the fact that Wikipedia's Top 10 list is for planetary grosses, but your link is for domestic grosses. I was sure the planetary grosses were the most important...

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 4:49pm
Yes.Worldwide is what counts.I made a mistake.And the way HeadRAZZ edited my post(originally it said "here's the link to see if what he says it's right")makes it sound a little harsh.Anyway, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2011&p=.htm -

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 8:28pm
Further proof that all children's movies are now the same:

http://www.chud.com/57251/proof-that-hollywood-has-stopped-trying/ - http://www.chud.com/57251/proof-that-hollywood-has-stopped-trying/

Wow, Hollywood writers are lazy!

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: August 31 2011 at 9:40am
That's right.The reason why family movies don't get razzed so often is probably because they're all the same movie.

-------------

Date Posted: September 28 2011 at 2:28pm
I just saw it,but won't review it.

I could go on about how unfunny and lazy it is,or that the FX suck,but you all know that.I could discuss that today it surpassed $500 Million at the box office,entering the Top 100 of the highest grossing films ever,but I don't think I feel different about it than all of you.Instead,I'll point out things no one else has:
-Parents take their kids to see these movies because they think it's harmless.The joke's on them.There's a scene in a mall where THE SMURFS are mistasken for toys,and the children practically destroy the store trying to get them.
-Some movies have animal cruelty and don't seem to notice.Here,they actually say it,and keep doing it!
-We've discussed innouendo in children movies.Here,one of THE SMURFS refers to his pubes as "enchanted forest".I rest my case.

I give this 1/10(could've been 0).

F.Y.C.:
-Actor;Supp. Actor:Not Jonathan Winters,Anton Yelchin,Fred Armisen,Alan Cumming or Tim Gunn.Nothing wrong with them.Nor Hank Azaria,he's the best part,just as he was in HOP.But Neil Patrick Harris has been setting the bar for him berry high these past few years,so the fact he's hamming it up in what I believe it's his first lead role is deserving of a Razzie(I haven't seen BEASTLY yet).And George Lopez as well for being obviously miscast.And he was also miscast in RIO(he played a brazilian character with a mexican accent!).
-Actress;Supp. Actress:Not Sofia Vergara,nothing wrong with her.Nor Kety Perry,she's actually quite decent.But Jayma Mays is as weak as Harris.
-Director:Yes.A few years ago,the AV Club made a list of the worst directors nobody knows,and Raja Gosnell was in it.I thought "He makes bad movies,but he isn't that bad".But this movie had painfully non-sensical shots,and until the credits I thought this was a first time director.
-Screenplay:Yes.Wait...is there one?
-Couple/Ensemble:No.The whole cast doesn't have to suffer because of the few bad ones.And,although Harris and Mays have no chemistry,their relationship development isn't important to the overall plot.What is important is their relationship with THE SMURFS,which is berry undeveloped,but that would sound too similar to...well,why we wanted Worst Ensemble in the first place.
-Picture:Yes.

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2011 at 11:16am
I just survived this. I'll post a review sometime this weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2011 at 5:03pm
Man, this was a bad movie.

The good:

Hank Azaria: Azaria plays Gargamel, who wants to capture the Smurfs. Since this would cause them harm, he was my favorite character. In addition, he gets all the good lines.

Neil Patrick Harris: Harris is better here than he was in Beastly.

The bad:

Katy Perry: Perry is bland here as Smurfette. The only reason she got this part was because of blatant stunt casting.

Fred Armison: Armison plays Brainy Smurf, my least favorite Smurf. He was exceptionally annoying. Also, for some reason, Armison plays a cashier in a toy store.

The script: Fun fact: this movie had four credited writers. How the f*ck could a movie this bland require four goddamn writers?!?

The ugly:

Jayma Mays: Mays is very annoying here as NPH's pregnant wife. This isn't her worst movie though, as she was in... Epic Movie! (Duh duh duh!!!)

The product placement: This has some of the most blatant product placement this side of a Michael Bay movie! Blu-Ray, Blue Man Group, etc. But, the absolute worst would have to be the Guitar Hero scene. They play Run-DMC's version of Walk This Way and this is DMC's lowest moment since JMJ died*.

Raja Gosnell: When one of your best movies is Big Momma's House, you should just throw in the towel.

As bad as the original cartoon was, it's not as bad this movie. Is it me or is the only good thing to come from The Smurfs the Smurfs scene from Donnie Darko? Grade: D+

*I'm going to hell for that one.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window