Print Page | Close Window

Members' Discussion of RISE of APES

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Discussion & Add'l Info / RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
Forum Discription: Here's Where to Express Yer Thoughts & Find Out Credits, B.O. Numbers, Reviews, ETC.
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5229
Printed Date: July 23 2014 at 3:04am

Topic: Members' Discussion of RISE of APES
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Members' Discussion of RISE of APES
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 10:20am
GENTLEMEN (and LADIES)... 

START the POO-FLINGING!  

AND FOR the CURIOUS, HERE's a http://www.razzies.com/forum/official-razzie-take-on-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes_forum547.html - to READ YE OLDE HEAD RAZZBERRY's COMMENTS on http://www.razzies.com/forum/discussion-addl-info-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes_forum548.html - ... 

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: Vheid
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 10:26am
It's really sad how Fox needs to constantly "reboot" every movie and franchise to which they own the rights... 

And it's even sadder that they've found a way to remake both http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068408/ - Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Renny Harlin's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149261/ - Deep Blue Sea at the same time....  

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 1:47pm
Keep in mind that predictability isn't necessarily the kiss of death for a movie. Titanic did pretty well at the box office, and I don't think anyone in the theater was particularly shocked when the boat sank. 

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

Another problem 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' has is the fact that it's going to be predictable as hell since, if you've seen the original, you know what's going to happen.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 2:01pm
Wait, the boat sinks?! STOP POSTING SPOILERS! How rude!!  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Keep in mind that predictability isn't necessarily the kiss of death for a movie. Titanic did pretty well at the box office, and I don't think anyone in the theater was particularly shocked when the boat sank.

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 3:08pm
I really don't know why prequels even exist. Really, what is the point? It's all just winking to the crowd "Oh, YOU know how this is all going to end, but we're going through the motions anyway!". Flashbacks are just so much better in giving backstory; "Godfather Part Two" being the best example, EVER.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 5:40pm
Yeah, I just hate them, all these reboots and remakes of such well-known classics. They just f**k them up so badly -- why not remake the bad movies to make them actually good?  

Next up on Fox's upcoming pile o' s**t: The Wolverine.

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 6:28pm
Yet another reason to hope and pray for News Corp to go under thanks to their phone hacking scandal...  

Originally posted by jesse685

Next up on Fox's upcoming pile o' s**t: The Wolverine.

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 6:49am
Hopefully this will bomb, then it will be: 

"Goodbye pointless reboots and remakes..."

"Adios overused PG-13 certificate..." 

"Hasta la vista 2 hour limit..." 

and 

"Bon voyage pandering to the lowest common denominator..."  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Nice thought...but I wouldn't start holding my breath just yet.  

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 4:21pm
Yeah, in order for all that to happen, every single movie that fits that description must bomb at the box office. I mean "Bangkok Dangerous $7 million opening weekend each and every time type of numbers." 

The chances of that happening are the same as you winning the PowerBall Lottery, while simultaneously striking oil in your own backyard.

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 9:48pm
I think this movie looks good, although I've only seen the 2001remake (and not the 1968 original version) of Planet of the Apes.

-------------

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 2:08pm
Why am I not surprised by that statement from MWG?  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I think this movie looks good, although I've only seen the 2001remake (and not the 1968 original version) of Planet of the Apes.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 5:07pm
Because I guess I'm easily predictable??

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 7:04pm
Bingo was his name-o.  

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 9:53am
First two reviews are in at RT, and they're both positive!  

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 12:12pm
Really thought that this would be one of ours...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Two reviews hardly indicate a "trend." As we've seen repeatedly just in the past month, several titles have gone from "zero" approval ratings up to as high as 20% when more reviews came in (specifically SMURFS). Until RT assigns a "rating" to this film, I think any judgment as to its quality (or RAZZIE® eligibility) is premature...  

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 2:34pm
Yeah, we've seen this all before. The first 10 or so reviews are positive ... then the next 90 are negative. Can we all please stop saying that a movie is or is not "one of ours" based on anything less than 100 reviews!?

-------------

Posted By: jesse685
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 7:26pm
Yeah, because you never know: One moment, they're fresh...the next, they're rotten.

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: August 03 2011 at 12:27pm
Check this review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btfdTB5_10

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 7:07am
87% on rotten tomatoes and 37 reviews are counted. 

Posted By: mbh
Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 12:06pm
49 reviews by now and still 82% positive. Have to admit, I was expecting worse. Even more curious about it now.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:18pm
R.T.(78-85%): "Led by Rupert Wyatt's stylish direction, some impressive special effects, and a mesmerizing performance by Andy Serkis, the movie breathes unlikely new life into a long-running franchise."  

Roger Ebert(3/4): "One never knows exactly where the human ends and the effects begin, but Serkis and/or CAESAR gives the best performance in the movie."  

Meanwhile,THE CHANGE-UP has enough bad reviews to be a contender. But is it too late?

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:01pm
Wait,  did this movie just pull a "Fast & Furious 5"?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Excellent analogy!  Based on its TV spots (and most of its promos) I doubt I was alone in assuming RISE would be a clunker. But when I saw the full trailer for it earlier this week, and noticed early reviews were mostly glowing, I realized APES #8 might actually have potential to be good. Now it's a matter of whether its box office thrives, or this monkey withers on the vine.

Speaking of box office, I am with-holding starting a Forum on CHANGE UP to see how it does with audiences. Critics obviously despise the film, but I think predictions that it will open poorly (to less than $15 million) are massively underestimating how well promos for this film sell it. The audience I saw the CHANGE UP trailer with laughed long and loudly throughout it... 

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:08pm
It's not the fifth in the series,  and the first one is considered excellent. 

I just think it surprised us, that's all.Wink  

Originally posted by Michaels

Wait, did this movie just pull a "Fast & Furious 5"?

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:35pm
Or it might be an un-needed cash grab sequel/prequel/reboot that somehow managed to get a fresh rating.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 5:25pm
I love it how "pulling a fast five" is starting to become a real phrase here on the forums....

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 6:05pm
I hope it becomes more popular outside the forums.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 6:23pm
Why? Did you hear/read it somewere else...

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 6:58pm
No, but it's catchy and legit, like "nuke the fridge," so I hope it catches on... 

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 7:27pm
At this rate, there may be room yet on my Bottom 40 Films of 2011 for On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II. Do any of you have any insights as to why people love all these high-numbered sequels when their predecessors got negative reviews? Now I'm certain I need to take James Edward Franco off my recommendations list.

And I don't know if there's much point to adding a forum for The Change-Up. Rotten T gave it in the 30's on the Tomatometer, and there's not much RAZZIE pedigree to justify nominating it anyway.

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 7:03am
What do you mean? The first HANGOVER had good reviews, PIRATES 2 and 3 had average, and RISE OF THE APES isn't really Part 5. 

Originally posted by GTAHater767

At this rate, there may be room yet on my Bottom 40 Films of 2011 for On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II. Do any of you have any insights as to why people love all these high-numbered sequels when their predecessors got negative reviews?

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 10:26am
When I said "high-numbered sequels," I wasn't talking about Hangover and Caribbean. I guess I came off wrong AGAIN! I was talking about Fast Five and Rise of the Planet of the Apes beating the odds and getting great reviews. If Rise of the Planet is barely part 5, what is it more like? And I still want to know how Fast Five and RotPotA managed such high review scores.  

Originally posted by Vits

What do you mean? The first HANGOVER had good reviews, PIRATES 2 and 3 had average, and RISE OF THE APES isn't really Part 5. 

Originally posted by GTAHater767

At this rate, there may be room yet on my Bottom 40 Films of 2011 for On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II. Do any of you have any insights as to why people love all these high-numbered sequels when their predecessors got negative reviews?

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 2:18pm
I just got back from seeing this, and I thought it was pretty good. Andy Serkis stole the entire show. Also, there's one of those "end credit scenes" -- Don't worry, it starts only a minute or two after the credits begin. 

My Grade: B 

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 4:28pm
I have a strong feeling Final Destination 5 will do the same. Maybe not get as high as 80%, but high for the franchise.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: MWG -- Are you even familiar with the kind of RT Ratings the FINAL DESTINATION series has gotten? Here's  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/?search=Final%20Destination -

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 6:58pm
No, you're DESPERATELY HOPING that it will do the same, but history will prove you wrong, because there has never ever been a good fifth installment to any horror movie franchise, because by that far down the line, they are running on less than fumes.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I have a strong feeling Final Destination 5 will do the same. Maybe not get as high as 80%, but high for the franchise.

-------------

Posted By: The Larch
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 11:23am
Re. those who should be Razzed- Forget the Apes, it's the Change-Up (which STINKS like the dirty diaper it features) that is the WEAKEST of this Week! 

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 1:14pm
According to BOMojo, The Change-Up came in fourth with a little below $5 mil. This made a little below $20 mil.

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 2:06pm
Richard Roeper gave it a B:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/riseoftheplanetoftheaptes.aspx

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2011 at 4:45pm
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is better than Tim Burton's remake, but not as good as the 1968 original, which was to be expected. Nonetheless, it's entertaining enough, while not amazing. I gave it 7/10...

-------------

Posted By: thomsonmg2000
Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 8:54pm
The only thing that really bothered me about this movie was Caesar talking. The whole theater started laughing when he did that. Also, I thought it was dumb that Tom Felton said the "Take your stinking hands off me..." line. Oh spoiler? Oops.

It was still a good movie, though. Really liked that it had a lot of heart in it.

-------------
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/

Date Posted: August 13 2011 at 6:20pm
I saw this today, and I thought it was very good...definitely not one of ours. The CGI effects, which Head Razz criticized somewhat in the opening, were actually quite outstanding. They started off a bit shaky when Caesar was a baby chimp, but later representations were extremely good. I would go so far as to say that this is actually one of the best films in the sci fi genre that I have seen in several years.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 7:00am
Damn, maybe H-Wood is finally getting a clue, and if they are going to do remakes and reboots, they are actually bothering to put people with talent in charge of the projects!

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 7:18pm
It was a pleasant surprise to be sure...I went in waiting and expecting to dislike it...I came out entertained. There are some stumbles and plot holes, but for anyone who is a fan of sci fi movies, I don't think you'll find a movie this summer that will leave you more satisfied.

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 9:21pm

It was a pleasant surprise to be sure...I went in waiting and expecting to dislike it...I came out entertained. There are some stumbles and plot holes, but for anyone who is a fan of sci fi movies, I don't think you'll find a movie this summer that will leave you more satisfied.
If a modern sci-fi movie can get the saturnwatcher seal of approval, it MUST be good!

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2011 at 10:47pm

Super 8.

Date Posted: August 15 2011 at 11:27am
Time Magazine even listed the social commentary subtext to each movie.

Original Planet of the Apes: Race relations.
Beneath ... Planet of the Apes: Antiwar/anti-nuclear weapons.
Escape ... Planet of the Apes: Women's rights.
Conquest ... Planet of the Apes: Equal rights.
Battle: Culture clash.
Tim Burton's POTA: Nothing, it was just a bad movie.
Rise ... Planet of the Apes: Animal Rights.

What will be the next installment's theme ... we'll know in 2-5 years' time!

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2011 at 9:33pm
I think Time Magazine kind of missed it on Rise...there was a subtext of animal rights, but I think the more important issue that was raised was really the question of how, where and when we release scientific advancements.

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 9:58am

I think Time Magazine kind of missed it on Rise...there was a subtext of animal rights, but I think the more important issue that was raised was really the question of how, where and when we release scientific advancements.

True; the throwback to the old atomic age sci-fi movies and their whole "beware of science" messages.

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:13am

Even as someone speaking in the scientific community, I think there is a very legitimate question to be raised about scientific advancements not only for the simple reason that we can do them, but when the ugly spectre of profit without adequate research rears its head. A similar question was raised in Jurassic Park when Malcom noted (and I paraphrase a bit) "You did this because you can do it, but no one ever stopped and asked if you should."

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 1:55pm
Here's the link for my buddy Mitch's review:

http://movieswithmitch.squarespace.com/reviews/2011/8/8/rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-review.html

-------------

Posted By: Lord Naseby
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 12:51pm
While I don't think it was as bad as you guys think, it definitely had MAJOR plot problems. You could say that James Franco's decision to leave his father at home unsupervised led to EVERY BAD THING IN THE MOVIE....which led to the first movie in 1968, which led to the sequels and the 2001 remake. Nice going, Franco!   

-------------
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 4:37pm
Yeah.And if he had told his family where he was going,he wouldn't have spend 127 hours trapped.LOL

-------------

Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 8:24pm
Yeah, James Franco's characters make very poor life decisions.

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Date Posted: August 31 2011 at 9:37am
Such as becoming the NEW GOBLIN,trying to pretend he was sensitive to get a girl while a guy did the same to his cousin,and...well,whatever JAMES DEAN did?But he's not always like that.He chose to deal marihuana only instead of pills.As for f*ck*ng Sean Penn...that's a grey area.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2011 at 7:08am
I just saw it.

When AVATAR was released,people were discussing if motion-capture performances should be elegible for Oscars. I didn't care for that debate, mainly because I didn't see anything special in the performances there. But here, Andy Serkis prooves we need to have a system to rate those performances, because he's excellent.And the directing (which reminded a lot of the SPIDER-MAN and the FX (which were kind of cheesy) were great.

While I had a good time watching this movie, I felt the payoff wasn't completely worth all the leading up. You see, the marketing made it look like the apes were gonna take over the planet,
movies) but instead they just run away to the forest. WTF?! Also, I didn't feel that it did justice to the franchise. You see, the original was about how all the major issues in our society would eventually destroy us. But this one focused on one theme only (animal rights), and it mixed it a little with how the X-MEN movies delt with discrimination. And the scene during the credits showed the disease spreading all over the world, and that disease was a result of the lab experiments which were a result of greed and maybe a little pride, but again that wasn't "major".

I give it 6/10.

I don't want it to be nominated for anything.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window