Print Page | Close Window

Member-Started DISCUSSION...

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS
Forum Name: Member-Started Discussion & Add'l Info:JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN
Forum Discription: Given Its Piddling B.O. #s, Maybe That Shoulda Been "STILLBORN"?!?
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5494
Printed Date: September 02 2014 at 11:58am

Topic: Member-Started DISCUSSION...
Posted By: jesse685
Subject: Member-Started DISCUSSION...
Date Posted: September 16 2011 at 2:08pm
WHEN MR. BEAN WASN'T ENOUGH FOR ROWAN ATKINSON, JOHNNY ENGLISH CAME ALONG IN 2003 AND WAS CRITICALLY PANNED WORLDWIDE.  

BUT HE DID NOT LISTEN TO THEM, AND INSTEAD, 8 YEARS LATER, HE PLOWS ON WITH A TOTALLY UNNECCESSARY SEQUEL, BUT BORDERLINES HIMSELF WITH SOME "ACTING TALENT".

SO, WITHOUT FURTHER-ADO...DISCUSS AWAY!  

NOTE from YE OLDE HEAD RAZZBERRY: WHILE I AM UNSURE THAT ENOUGH MEMBERS WILL EVER SEE THIS FILM for IT to BE a SERIOUS CONTENDER, I DID SEE in an ARTICLE ON IT in THE L.A. TIMES ( http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-rowan-atkinson-20111020,0,7152745.story -

LAUGH in the FACE of NO SUCCESS WHATSOEVER! 

-------------
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685

Replies:
Posted By: SuperTeenTopia
Date Posted: September 16 2011 at 4:26pm
So this is where the reboot trend is headed ... rebooting comedies, too!?

-------------
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)

Posted By: whatsthepoint
Date Posted: September 18 2011 at 11:26am
Currently sitting at 50% with 4 fresh and 4 rotten, will probably end up in the 30-40's range at this rate. Also while the last film did poorly in the U.S. it a was monsterous hit oversees.

Date Posted: September 18 2011 at 10:15pm
Whatsthepoint: Do you mean it's at 50% -- because you wrote 80%...

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 8:17am
Oops! Meant to say 50% my mistake. Anyway update: 5 fresh, 4 rotten. Possibly this sequel could have a higher rotten tomatoes rating than the original (and the original didn't receive any Razzies, so how is it possible for this one to get any when reviews may be slightly better). 

Originally posted by jesse685

whatsthepoint, do you mean it's at 50%, because you wrote 80%.

-------------

Posted By: leohoughton
Date Posted: September 26 2011 at 11:18pm
I thought the movie was pretty hilarious. :) However, I still prefer him in Mr. Bean's role in Mr. Bean Series.

Posted By: Film Reel Redemption
Date Posted: September 27 2011 at 5:21am
I guess the 'underpants on head, pencils up the nose and pretending to be mad' trick failed to work again as the writers came calling to Atkinson...

-------------
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: October 01 2011 at 8:28am
I've always enjoyed Atkinson in the Mr. Bean character in the half hour series, but I find that a little of him goes a long way. When you try to expand the character into a full length movie, he gets annoying pretty fast -- Especially since Atkinson apparently has no new ideas. All he does is reprise gimmicks and jokes lifted from the series.  

Originally posted by leohoughton

I thought the movie was pretty hilarious. :) However, I still prefer him in Mr. Bean's role in Mr. Bean Series.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: October 10 2011 at 12:01pm
FilmXTRA gave this 3.5/5 -- Here's the LINK to watch the review:

[TUBE]vp67KtgrUTw[/TUBE]

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Date Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:31am
Why not see this for yourself, then make up your own rating? That's the best suggestion I can give you...  

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2011 at 2:07pm
R.T. gave this 35-40%*: "Arguably a marginal improvement on its mostly-forgotten predecessor, the movie nonetheless remains mired in broad, tired spy spoofing that wastes Rowan Atkinson's once considerable comedic talents."  

*The first JOHNNY ENGLISH got 30-35%.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2011 at 2:28pm
If the first one didn't get any Razzie nominations, this one probably doesn't have a chance of getting any nominations either.  

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: October 24 2011 at 2:51pm
Now I demand an answer from HeadRAZZ: Why weren't Beastly and I Am Number Four upgraded to official forums this past winter?

This has a marginal approval rating at Rotten T, and below average reviews at Metacritic. On top of that, no-one saw this. Thereby I conclude that up-grading this one could've been a mistake provided HeadRAZZ's commentary doesn't prove otherwise.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You "demand"?!?  Seems rather strong/defensive language to me. This is our "Leftover" Worst of the Weak choice for this coming Friday (Oct. 28) as nothing new opening that date is even a remotely likely contender.  

As for BEASTLY and I AM NUMBER FOUR, they both got similarly bad reviews to ENGLISH REBORN, but that is only one element of how RAZZIE® Forum topics are selected. Both of those films did far better at the U.S. box office (BEASTLY doing nearly $28 million and NUMBER FOUR topping $55 million) than ENGLISH REBORN is likely to do -- and neither of them were sequels to an 8-year-old movie that no one liked in the first place. "Demand" satisfied??  

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.

Date Posted: October 24 2011 at 3:04pm
Not to mention those 2 movies are in serious consideration. I'm sure at least one of them will end up on the nominating ballot.

-------------

Posted By: oiram
Date Posted: October 25 2011 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

As for BEASTLY and I AM NUMBER FOUR, they both got similarly bad reviews to ENGLISH REBORN, but that is only one element of how RAZZIE® Forum topics are selected. Both of those films did far better at the U.S. box office (BEASTLY doing nearly $28 million and NUMBER FOUR topping $55 million) than ENGLISH REBORN is likely to do -- and neither of them were sequels to an 8-year-old movie that no one liked in the first place. "Demand" satisfied??

Well, one of them was made by some kid in this assembly line company owned by this guy who wrote A Million Little Pieces. The other one was a raping of Beauty and the Beast. Not to mention both were made to cash in on Twilight. 

PS: HeadRazz, you seem to flip-flop sometimes, because you're perfecally fine with giving Transformers a forum knowing it will make a ton of money, while you say Number Four and Beastly don't deserve a forum because they made back their budget?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So now I'm the Mitt Romney of the RAZZIES®?? How embarrassing to be the Mitt Romney of anything!  

If you'll re-read the posting you copied-and-pasted above, you'll see that I did not site box office prospects as the only reason ENGLISH REBORN was "elevated" to a full-fledged Forum topic -- I mentioned that it is also an an 8-years-later sequel to a film no one liked in the first place... 

-------------
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Date Posted: October 25 2011 at 9:04am
What about PUSS IN BOOTS? It most likely won't be a contender, but the same can be said about SHREK 4, which did get a forum. I think it's better than nothing. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: PUSS IN BOOTS was under consideration as the Worst of the Weak pick, but early reviews (it's at 80% Positive on RT with more than 2 dozen reviews in as I write this) suggest it's not "One of Ours." As for SHREK 4, it was rated "Rotten" at RT, though just barely ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shrek_4/ -

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

This is our "Leftover" Worst of the Weak choice for this coming Friday (Oct. 28) as nothing new opening that date is even a remotely likely contender.

-------------

Posted By: GTAHater767
Date Posted: October 26 2011 at 1:13pm
Since HeadRAZZBerry inadvertently locked the entire Forum Member Discussion of 2011 Releases, I'll speak right here. Apparently, the reviews for In Time are turning out extremely negative so far. Losing 0 to 4 at Rotten T (1 more negative review for a 0%), and the only review on Metacritic gives it 16%. In Time, starring Tustin Jimberlake, is turning out about as badly as Abduction. Alas, I'm used to dystopian sci-fi movies with such strange concepts getting panned by critics.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: OOPS!  Thanks for letting me know -- It was indeed "inadvertent" that the Member Feedback on 2011 Titles was locked. When I went to update the list over the weekend, the size of the list had become so huge that the entire file nearly crashed, and I wound up spending a frantic few hours scrambling in an effort to keep from losing it altogether. With the help of our Tech Maven I was able to restore the list and get it working again -- But as part of the process, I apparently hit the "Lock Forum" button on our Admin settings. I have, in response to this posting, gone back in and "un-locked" it. So I guess things are back to what passes for "normal" around here... 

-------------
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.

Date Posted: October 27 2011 at 5:52pm
HeadRAZZBerry: I would like to express a huge "Thanks!" for up-grading my Member-Started Forum to an Official RAZZIE Forum...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You are Berry Welcome!  

-------------

Posted By: Lord Naseby
Date Posted: October 27 2011 at 10:39pm
I think this could be a contender. It's just like Cats and Dogs 2; it's been so long since the original mediocre installment that a new one isn't worth it at all. 

-------------
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: October 29 2011 at 8:56am
This first Johnny English did poorly in the U.S., but it was a huge hit in other markets - that's why they did this sequel. And Johnny English Reborn is doing the exact same (it's already made 100 million oversees). Of course, I still don't see why they needed to release it here. 

I also find it funny that 70 users at Box office mojo gave this film a B- 

-------------

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: October 30 2011 at 10:15am

The public ratings on sites like that are not terribly revealing. The Last Airbender got 642 ratings of "B" or higher which was 53% of the total vote. Pretty often, the only people who vote on those sites are those who already have preconceived bias towards a movie, or simply don't want to admit that they paid their hard earned money for a movie they really didn't like very much.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: November 03 2011 at 12:18pm
Actually it has a C-.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window