Print Page | Close Window

S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX!
Forum Name: s-s-s-s-SNAKES ON A PLANE
Forum Discription: 2006's Best Bad Movie Title Is Generating Plenty of Buzz...and HISS-s-s-s-s??
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=790
Printed Date: April 24 2014 at 7:10am

Topic: S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:21am

THE ONE MOVIE EVERYONE LOOKED FORWARD to SEEING THIS SUMMER... BECAUSE WE ALL KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE A LAUGH RIOT. BUT DID S.O.A.P. LIVE DOWN to YOUR EXPECTATIONS??

Images from http://www.fark.com/ - FARK.COM

Can any modern movie live up to the standards of intentional bad taste set by BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS? S.O.A.P. was that hardest-of-all-things-to-pull-off, A Deliberately Bad Movie that still managed to be wildly entertaining. We thought it should have slither into being the biggest hit of the year...What s-s-s-s-say you??

http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1250&PN=1 - TO VOTE in OUR SNAKES POLL, CLICK HERE

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:44am
hmmm...at least two of the snakes on the Main Page poster aren't venomous, which makes the flight markedly less dangerous....

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: JoBloMovieGoer
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:41am

Considering the crap Hollywood's been producing for the last few years, I'm inclined to believe SOAP went into production with plans for it to be sold as a "serious disaster drama" -- And only when they started getting Internet attention did New Line realize the upside of marketing it as a comedy...

Gotta give Samuel L. Jackson credit, though. Sounds like he knew from the minute he read the title on the screenplay's cover: I hear he argued with New Line when they wanted to change the title to something more generic, like FLIGHT 217. Good for him!

Posted By: Nasty Man
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:44am
S.O.A.P. has the ironic potential to become the first film where audiences may complain it's not as BAD as they'd hoped!

-------------
Everything SUX!

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:46am
Uhhh...what's with this title, Snakes On A Plane? Just sounds too wierd. I mean, Snakes slithering around on a jet plane? C'mon, Hollywood, give me a break.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: deadguy76
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 6:23pm
Maybe we could have a new catergory: Worst Title.

-------------
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76

Posted By: jeanericuser
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:06pm

Ever see the musical, the producers? I think this is exactly what they are doing. They are banking on making a flop that only makes enough to cover costs for the studios and gives them a little extra cash left over for private expenses. Unfortunately, like springtime for hitler I think this one is definately gonna be a hit if only for the people seeing it to see exactly just how bad it is.

Posted By: moorlock2003
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:53am
Nobody has mentioned the hilarious sketch on Saturday Night Live about this very subject. Will Farrell, Molly Shannon, Tim Meadows, et al, encounter, guess what, snakes on an airplane. After the snakes take over, the plane crashes, but in the rubble, one of the snakes survives, and talks directly to us. F-U-N-N-Y. I think this movie will slither its way into the hearts and underarms of America quite nicely. If it's half as funny as that sketch, it will be worth watching.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Date Posted: March 30 2006 at 3:06am
Originally posted by jeanericuser

Ever see the musical, the producers?

I just had an inspiration! Snakes on a Plane, The Musical

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Date Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:24am
You mean we have to wait 5 more months for it? I just hope it will be worth the wait.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Posted By: MJ Narcy
Date Posted: March 31 2006 at 4:13am
I see a potential problem with the poster.  Some people have a phobia of snakes.  They can't see even a picture of a snake without completely freaking out.  This is the first movie I know of that will negatively impact other movies.

We shall see.  Stern Smile

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 01 2006 at 8:31am

http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/303638 - http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/303638

Click here and then go watch this minute long short about S.o.a.P.

Posted By: Vidiot
Date Posted: April 01 2006 at 4:27pm

When I heard of this movie I remembered a MOW I saw way back in the 70s. Ya I am that old.. "F" you! ;) ....anyhow, it was called "Fer De Lance". It was about Snakes on a Submarine. David Janssen, Hope Lange, Ivan Dixon (Hogans Heros), directed by Russ Mayberry. (1974)

So the "Snakes on a ___________" has already been done, and they simply dug up the MOW and moved the location to an airplane... and voila! You have S.O.A.P. !

It's not even an original idea.

Note from HeadRAZZberry: Here's the http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071494/plotsummary - LINK to read the IMDb's Plot Summary for http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071494/plotsummary - Fer de Lance ...Sure sounds like S.O.A.P. was "inspired" by this old TV movie...

-------------

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:25pm
Fer De Lance was written by Leslie Stevens, the genius that gave us
Bolero, A Change of Seasons, The Incredible "Return to the Blue Lagoon"
and the immortal Cannon classic 'Three Kinds of Heat", all well deserved
Razzie contenders

OOPS, forgive me Head Razz--I forgot "Sheena" and I beg your pardon

Sadly, it was a long way downhill from his original movie work, "Private
Property", his clean up of Gore VIdal's controversial "The Left Handed
Gun" and the bizarre all-Esperanto "Incubus" to his TV work which
included Stoney Burke, Probe and the original (and best) OUTER LIMITS...

And, he formed Daystar, the first "Free-Independent" production
company, which broke the back of the "Studio System" and led to making
agencies like ICM and CAA the powerhouses they are today.

and... ANY original Outer Limits episode is far better than the current
crap on TV today

Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 12:53am

Here's an http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0828562/ - IMDb LINK to check out credits for Leslie Stevens. And here's the http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0828562/awards - IMDb LINK to see his RAZZIE Nominations.

Joe -- You left out SHEENA (which is listed among the 100 Funniest Bad Movies Ever Made in http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446693340/qid=1092284821/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2716076-6280059?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 - THE OFFICIAL RAZZIE MOVIE GUIDE ) for which Stevens received one of his well-deserved Worst Screenplay RAZZIE Nods...

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 1:17am

I just looked up FER DE LANCE in my crumbling copy of LEONARD MALTIN'S 1985-86 TV MOVIES (the old equivalent of the annual Maltin Guide). In those days, before VHS and DVD, Maltin also rated movies made for TV. They gave LANCE a rating of "Below Average" and summarized it thusly: "Suspense tale about a submarine wedged below the sea, terrorized from within by deadly snakes. Ridiculous story and characters, with creepy-crawlers, for those who like that kind of thing."

It's also listed in one of my favorite Bad Movie Reference Books, Michael Weldon's http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034534345X/qid=1144762430/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2716076-6280059?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 - PSYCHOTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FILM . Weldon calls FER DE LANCE "Television's dumbest diaster film. It's about snakes on a submarine!"

And I looked up the title in my 1993 edition of TELEVISION PROGRAMMING SOURCE BOOK: FILMS (an industry reference book for TV station programmers). It says that before it went into synication, FER DE LANCE aired on network TV twice, drawing about 14 million viewers the first time, and 9 million the second.

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 7:21am

I remember Fer De Lance quite well, it was brutally awful. But around the same time a movie with a somewhat similar theme came out, which involved a woman and a couple of would be kidnappers who were trapped in an apartment building with a black mamba. Try as I might, I can't remember the title.

Also of the same vintage (1973, a year prior to Fer De Lance) is another snake oriented thriller directed by Bernard Kowalski entitled SSSSS. It stared Strother Martin as a professor who was experimenting to create some sort of human/cobra hybrid. He conducts his experiment on an unwitting college student played by Dirk Benedict.

The early to mid 70's were prime vintage for disaster/nature strikes back films, and snakes figured into the equation with some frequency.

addendum: It might be noted that as the result of Dino DeLaurentis' whims, even King Kong had to battle the worst oversized rubber snake in cinematic history in the awful 1976 remake. Indeed, Snakes On A Plane has a wealth of cinematic progenitors. But Fer De Lance does appear to be its closest ancestor.

addendum 2: after some feverish searching around the web, I found the title of the movie I was trying to recall. It was  Venom and was released in 1982, so it was probably also one of the errant children of Fer De Lance. But I think an interesting trend is presenting itself. Has anyone ever made a snake movie with an interesting title?

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 4:17pm
Too bad you can't give it an award right now, something like, The Most Popular Stinker That Has Yet To Be Screened.  The popularity and expectation of what obviously will be a B-movie is amazing.  Giving it an award beforehand would go hand-in-hand with everything else about this movie.  It's so long between now and when it's released, that the audience may grow tired of this movie before it had a chance to even see it.

Posted By: messy-1
Date Posted: June 01 2006 at 1:18am

At the Cannes film festival, there were posters for the sequel: Snakes on a Train!!!!!

Personally, I'm waiting for a film based on the recent incident where a large pack of man-eating groundhogs attacked an old age home near Washington DC...

Response from Head RAZZberry: And the title could be...PORKY'S IV: THE RETIREMENT HOME MASSACRE?? 

-------------

Posted By: ninjacat11
Date Posted: July 20 2006 at 5:34am
At least it's not another remake. :P

Posted By: messy-1
Date Posted: July 21 2006 at 1:48pm
Flash!!!!: SOAP is NOT getting a press screening.

Posted By: deadguy76
Date Posted: July 21 2006 at 10:23pm

That's always a surefire sign it's "Razzie-Fodder".  

Response from head RAZZberry: As in, "Luke...I am your fodder"??

-------------
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76

Date Posted: July 22 2006 at 2:10am
I've heard that they are holding an advanced screening at ComicCon.  Instead of worrying about the critics, they're putting it directly in front of its likeliest fans.

Date Posted: July 23 2006 at 2:43am
Personally, I can't WAIT to see this movie! Haven't been this excited about a film in a long time.

-------------
Fred Cooper

Posted By: ninjacat11
Date Posted: July 26 2006 at 11:52am
Me neither.

Date Posted: July 30 2006 at 4:15pm
Counting down to 8/18, I bet the theater will be packed solid!

Posted By: ArtGirl138
Date Posted: August 01 2006 at 4:26pm

Well, if this movie becomes a hit, then the studio executives will realize that they've hit upon an "ingenious" (note the quotation marks) way to draw moviegoers - give the movie a title so stupid, with a concept so ridiculous, that a fan following will arise BEFORE the release, thus assuring a large audience.

Soon, the movie theaters will be PACKED with stupid, laughable RAZZIE-worthy fare. So much, that less decent movies will be made, and award ceremonies such as the Oscars will be declared obsolete, leaving room only for the Razzies will be the only movie awards around!!!

Or not...I tend to come up with weird, slightly implausible theories.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, I think your theories make Berry Good Sense... 

-------------
Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek

Date Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:57am
Originally posted by ArtGirl138

Well, if this movie becomes a hit, then the studio executives will realize that they've hit upon an "ingenious" (note the quotation marks) way to draw moviegoers - give the movie a title so stupid, with a concept so ridiculous, that a fan following will arise BEFORE the release, thus assuring a large audience.

Soon, the movie theaters will be PACKED with stupid, laughable RAZZIE-worthy fare. So much, that less decent movies will be made, ...

They already pack theaters with piles of Censored.  It won't matter if this movie will be an awful hit. 

Response from Head RAZZberry:  The scariest thing about S.O.A.P. possibly becoming a monster hit is that it could usher in the era of "post-production-by-Internet," meaning that studios will use the Net to "critic proof" their movies, by pandering to Internet post-ers' ideas for film after film, disregarding logic, plot-lines or anything even remotely approaching "artistic integrity." However foolish, pandering and indefensible Hollywood's current product is, the thought of nearly every movie reflecting the "vision" and "talent" of "No One in Particular" is indeed A Berry Scary Prospect... 

-------------

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

]

The scariest thing about S.O.A.P. possibly becoming a monster hit is that it could usher in the era of "post-production-by-Internet," meaning that studios will use the Net to "critic proof" their movies, by pandering to Internet post-ers' ideas for film after film, disregarding logic, plot-lines or anything even remotely approaching "artistic integrity." However foolish, pandering and indefensible Hollywood's current product is, the thought of nearly every movie reflecting the "vision" and "talent" of "No One in Particular" is indeed A Berry Scary Prospect... 

AMEN Brother RAZZ!!

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 11:08am

Does Pro Wrestling Legend Jake Roberts make a cameo? If so, I'm there, dudes!

Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 3:18pm
Sorry, Jake is too busy finding his next rock of crack to smoke...

Then in a couple of months, you'll see him on the Jesus circuit again...

Then he goes back to the rocks...

Date Posted: August 17 2006 at 12:48am

Here is a pic with Samuel Jackson and one of his new co stars from the upcoming S.O.A.P.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snakes_on_a_plane/gallery.php?page=8&size=lores&nopop=1" target=_blank rel=nofollow>

"Damn George...and here I thought Yoda was a grouch to work with!"

-------------

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Date Posted: August 17 2006 at 12:56am

You know I have been reading up on this movie and with all the buzz it is generating I would not be surprised if this movie earned its production budget (Heard it was about $30 million) and then some in it first weekend (About $40 million). That's with either good or god awful reviews (Not to the extent of "ZOOM" but close to "Lady in the Water") from the critics.   

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, I think the fact that New Line has chosen not to screen SNAKES for critics is a major marketing mistake. Given that most people are looking forward to this as being "so-bad-it's-good," I fail to see how even the worst possible reviews wouldn't promote the movie. Not showing it to critics suggests that either:

a) New Line isn't totally in on the joke, or...

b) The movie actually does suck, and fails to deliver the expected laughs...

It'll be interesting to see which of the above proves true after seeing SNAKES this weekend... 

Response to Head RAZZberry: I am by no means saying that not screening the movie to critics is a great idea; However my point being is that the buzz that S.O.A.P. is generating through the other mediums (Internet, conventions, etc...) is that whether S.O.A.P is good or bad people will be in line this weekend buying a ticket just based that hype. Now whether it does good the following weekend remains to be seen.

As far as New Line being in on the Joke...I have a feeling more than one executive knew what was going on, especially after reading the http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417148/trivia - IMDB trivia  that has been posted on it.

Snakes on a Plane Movie Stills: Samuel L. Jackson, Kenan Thompson, Julianna Margulies, David R. Ellis

UPDATE: Looks like S.O.A.P. is starting to level out at 68% over at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snakes_on_a_plane/ - RT  as of this afternoon.

-------------

Words to live by:

Date Posted: August 17 2006 at 8:51am
DAMNIT Joe, must you cut me so deeply?! Despite all the drugs he consumed, Jake was still one of the best Pro wrestling interviews ever. But seriously, I have no idea how the guy's still alive. He did more drugs than Keith Richards, had a legit broken neck and countless injuries, and yet he can still talk coherently (Most of the time) and walk. Brings a tear to my eye....... I think I'll go outside and DDT someone.

Date Posted: August 17 2006 at 4:48pm
Sanndman, sorry bout that, but Ol Jake even turned his back on the
makers of Beyond The Mat, which was a pretty good documentary.

http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBiosR/roberts_00sep1.html

But, the saddest point of all is that he threw away his potential, he could
have been the greatest wrestler of all time and he just couldn't stop
smoking Ollie's crack rocks   

Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 4:41am

For you Potter Fans (or Potter Haters) here is one idea that I am glad that did not get the Green Light...

A much-publicized movie opens in theaters today that should be of interest to Harry Potter fans, and Wizard Blog is proud to bring you a first look at the new film...

-------------

Words to live by:

Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 7:25am

Well, so far it seems to be living up to the hype, even through it was not screened for critics....The initial audiences reactions seem positive, and along the lines of what we http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060818/en_nm/leisure_snakes_dc_1 - expected ; Heck, one critic even said the advance screening would have been a bad idea in the case of this movie. We'll see by the end of this weekend what the final outcome is!!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snakes_on_a_plane/gallery.php?page=34&size=lores&nopop=1">Snakes on a Plane Movie Stills: Samuel L. Jackson, Kenan Thompson, Julianna Margulies, David R. Ellis

"Yuh know Vern...I told yuh to keep Abigael in her kennel!"

-------------

Words to live by:

Date Posted: August 19 2006 at 9:04am
Sue me, I liked it. I had a lot of fun watching it.

Posted By: Brierfox
Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:19pm
I'm watching AM America on my day off,  and  guess what?  They have a movie critic!  Well, that's what they called him. Obviously this guy gets paid to say nice things about bad movies:  He doesn't mention the story, plot or character in SOAP, just comments how campy it was, and says the interest on the web was fantastic.   The clip they showed (several times) was the one where Jackson gets sick of all the snakes and uses the MF word. The MF word is a very nasty word, and I, despite not being known as a prude, found it offensive.  I guess if it's used by black men, then it's OK, maybe even cool.
Everyone on the show snickered and smiled, at his comments,  and no one thought to ask what the movie was rated.   Nor did anyone wonder whether this film's box office take would be greater than the BO on a movie about real terror on a real plane on 9/11/01.  But then again, I doubt if anyone connected with this ever seriously wonders about anything.  Any wonder then that bad movies keep getting made?

-------------
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: October 05 2006 at 6:03am

I just saw this movie, and I gotta say, it's not my type of movie. But there were some entertaining parts in it. One was Jackson's line, "I've had it with these motherfking snakes on this motherfking plane" That made the movie better (and made the rating go from PG-13 to R). I also enjoyed seeing Julianna Marguilies kill a snake with an axe (see below)!

Julianna Margulies in New Line Cinema's Snakes on a Plane

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: AllisonSNLKid
Date Posted: January 06 2007 at 5:21am

You know, there was a "Saturday Night Live" sketch some years ago (it was less than ten years ago, sometime around 1998-2000) about snakes on a plane.  Is this where the writers drew inspiration?

My boyfriend and I saw a trailer for it last year, and we both wrote it off as some bad joke...till we found out SOAP was in fact a real movie!  It became our joke last summer, every time we were thinking of something to do - "Ya wanna go see Snakes on a Plane?"  We couldn't bring ourselves to fork over the $8.75 you pay in South Jersey to see it.  I can't imagine anyone in New York paying in excess of twelve dollars to see this tripe!!!!!!!!

Allison :-)

-------------
"It's like some people do things because they get paid. And that's just really sad." - Garth Algar (Dana Carvey) "Wayne's World"

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 11:12am
God, I loved this movie!

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Print Page | Close Window