Print Page | Close Window

RV Wouldn’t Make a Good VR (Video Rental)

Printed From: Official RAZZIE® Forum
Category: 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS
Forum Name: RV
Forum Discription: RAZZIE "Winner" as WORST EXCUSE FOR FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=911
Printed Date: November 27 2014 at 5:23pm

Topic: RV Wouldn’t Make a Good VR (Video Rental)
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: RV Wouldn’t Make a Good VR (Video Rental)
Date Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:47pm

ROBIN WILLIAMS, TWO TEEN-AGED KIDS, ANGRY SQUIRRELS, RED-NECK FELLOW TRAVELERS and 100 MINUTES of YOUR LIFE YOU'LL NEVER GET BACK...and ALL from "BERRY" SONNENFELD, the RAZZIE® "WINNING" DIRECTOR of WILD WILD WEST.

I.E. if IT'S R.V. ...WHY BOTHER?!?!

That all-too-familiar sinking feeling...

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: MJ Narcy
Date Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:47am
This movie looks like it will do for RV's what a certain Alfred Hitchcock movie did for pet birds.

BTW, I'm surprised that "Stick It" didn't make it, with lines like, "It's not called gym-NICE-tics," and "'Call me.','Stalk you.'"

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:06pm

Robin Williams? I don't know him anymore. He was one of the best actors. But that was a long time ago.

But we have a ROBBIE Williams now. Ever heard of him?

Posted By: MJ Narcy
Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 2:26am

I'd rather watch a washed-up has been actor than a dude who rips off his own flesh in music videos...  Dead 

Originally posted by Guests

Robin Williams? I don't know him anymore. He was one of the best actors. But that was a long time ago.

But we have a ROBBIE Williams now. Ever heard of him?

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 6:36pm

This is how I see it.

Robin Williams finally got his oscar in 1997 and then since he reached his goal, he decided that he could do whatever he wants. Hey, why not? I mean really, that's how it works. Has Dustin Hoffman done anything really great after WAG THE DOG. And Jane Fonda since...well it's been a long time. *Note*Don't see Monster-in-Law if you have any serious health problems.*

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: April 28 2006 at 5:04am

To be fair, Jeff Daniels and Kristen Chenoweth have been getting good reviews for their roles.

Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 1:43pm
Clearly just from the TV spots it's the same old story every single studio trots out claiming to be a family storyline.  David Marciano's Detective Ray Vecchio would sum this up best with one of his quotes from Due South:  "No one's listening, and no one cares." 

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:29pm
Oh, I see a RAZZIE WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS nod for JoJo, the Brat
you'd love to strangle...

Posted By: messy-1
Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 1:26am
She'll get a nod, but not for this...she was far worse in Aquamarine.

Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 11:10am

Really, it seems that all children in so-called family films these days are arrogant, greedy self-centered jerks who, to be perfect frank, you would be glad to see shot 58 times in a mob drive-by shooting. 

Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 12:42pm

Probably the worst thing you can say about this film is that it lacks originality entirely. Its not good, but probably not bad enough for serious Razzie contention.

My biggest beef was with the people who made the film, rather than the film itself. About 30 years ago, in his novel Centennial, James Michener warned that the day would soon come when if you wanted to see the wild, unspoiled beauty of Colorado, you'd have to go to Wyoming.

Evidently the people who made this movie not only took Michener at his word, but went a step farther bypassing Wyoming and going all the way to the Canadian Rockies as the backdrop for this film. Hey, admittedly too many people are moving here, and some of the state's beauty and unspoiled wilderness have given way. But things aren't so bad that we have to go to Canada to film a movie about Colorado!

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: May 03 2006 at 6:42am
RV stands for Ruined Video...

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 3:57pm
Robin Williams is not that bad of a comedian, but he can do much better comedies than this one. After two weeks, the movie made over $32 million at the B.O.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: May 11 2006 at 9:02am
Personally I think Robin Williams is a great actor, I've liked every one of his three bad guy roles ( One hour photo, Insomnia, yes, even Death to Smoochy). I think he's very good when he's serious and usually good when he's funny.

Posted By: Loi13
Date Posted: July 21 2006 at 10:41pm
I saw it.  It was actually pretty funny up into this point where the family went through this water chute and came out "changed".  They were getting along and happy.  I couldn't figure out how.  Me and my family said that what they didn't tell you was that they were baptists. 

Posted By: ITbeast
Date Posted: August 15 2006 at 9:14am

By no means am I saying that this is close to being Robin Williams best work. However, it is a far cry better than "Benchwarmers" or "Nacho Libre". At least I laughed in most of the right places at RV and was not scratching my head wondering, "What just happened there???".

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1156340-rv/gallery.php?page=21&size=lores&nopop=1">R.V. Movie Stills: Robin Williams, Cheryl Hines, Joanna

On a serious note: Hopefully, Robin will get his personal demons under control, and start doing quality films again. I truly do respect him as an actor, and a human being...

-------------
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted By: RayMel1
Date Posted: August 27 2006 at 7:30am
...and its still better than Ricky Bobby.

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2006 at 6:05am
Just rented this movie. It wasn't that bad, but not that good either. I did laugh at some parts in this movie, though it ended up pretty dumb. What I can say is that Robin Williams and Berry Sonnenfeld got fairly good mileage from this film, even though it is pretty bad.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: February 12 2007 at 5:56am

Given the end gross it somehow managed, twenty bucks says they'll rush out a sequel within the next 3 years (probably 2) that will basically repeat the same storyline verbatim. 

I would like to see someone at least try to take a darker approach to this kind of storyline (perhaps if they tell their backers they intend it as an art film, they'll give them at least a little leeway), one that climaxes with Dad for once choosing career over family and murdering them (of course it's not advisable to promote that as the only way to go, for your family certainly is far more important in the real world as well and should be treasured at all times, but as I'm sure all of you have seen countless times over the years this message gets cheapened by making the family so bad that the job does look more tempting than they).  Of course, he would pay the price for it by being caught and sentenced to die for it--for murder is never really justified--, but if they take the time to make it clear that he's more of a victim of their actions than they of his, it just might work.   Of course, that's just me, though. 

Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 2:46am
I thought this was a good movie...but not that good. There were some funny parts, but a lot of really dumb parts as well. I don't know if they'll make a sequel to this...guess it depends on if they get financing to do it.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2007 at 2:14am
Josh Hutcherson, who played Carl Munro in this movie, has another movie, Bridge to Terabithia, in theaters right now. Kristin Chenoweth, who was nominated as Worst Supporting Actress for this film (along with Deck the Halls and The Pink Panther) was a lot better playing Galina/Glinda in the Broadway Musical "Wicked."

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 4:13pm
Looked at the Winners of the 27th Annual RAZZIE Awards, and saw that this film won Worst Excuse for Family Entertainment, beating out Deck the Halls, Garfield: A Tail of 2 Kitties, Santa Clause 3, and The Shaggy Dog. Not sure it was any worse than any of those...

-------------

Posted By: Razzilla
Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 8:00pm
Head RAZZ...I may have a small beef with you for the press release referring to this movie as a "road apple"... Road KILL is more like it...

BTW...I would have also loved to have seen it tie with Santa Clause 3...as I flipped a coin to see which was worse...and lost the coin in the process...

-------------
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...

Date Posted: February 26 2007 at 6:33am
Sorry to hear that, Razzilla, of course, that does happen all the time, you know. Of course, I didn't really expect this film to win the Worst Excuse of Family Entertainment Razzie at all. I was expecting either Deck the Halls or The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause to win it.

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 3:23am
I think I know why Jeff Daniels was involved with this movie. I've found a couple of these from the IMDB.com Trivia for RV:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001099/ - Jeff Daniels composed "Recreational Vehicle" song for his charity album "Jeff Daniels Live and Unplugged". The Song was about his personal RV misadventures. That's one thing. Here's the other: A life-long fan of camping, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001099/ - Jeff Daniels has owned an RV for years. According to a Detroit radio interview, his RV driving lessons for the movie were quickly canceled when he arrived on location in his personal recreational vehicle. Think about that.

Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 8:42am
Before this film, Berry Sonnenfeld's last three films, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120891/" target=_blank name=director1990>Wild Wild West , http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246464/ - Big Trouble , and  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120912/ - Men in Black II , all stunk really bad. Only two of those three ended up getting RAZZIE noms. I didn't like the film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246464/ - Big Trouble  and thought it should have gotten like maybe a couple RAZZIE noms back on 2002. Sonnenfeld did "win" the Worst Director RAZZIE for http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120891/" target=_blank name=director1990>Wild Wild West , which also "won" Worst Picture and 3 other RAZZIES for 1999.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 6:20pm

Anyone remember the part where Jeff Daniel's character was playing the banjo. I remember what Robin's character says: "Whenever a big white man picks up a banjo, my cheeks tighten."

I still think it's pretty odd.

Response from Head RAZZberry: I assume Williams was jokingly referring to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/ - DELIVERANCE , in which a group of banjo-playing backwoods types "raped" Ned Beatty...

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2007 at 5:04pm

I knew from the beginning that this would be a RAZZIE contender, since the last couple of films Berry Sonnenfeld did "stunk." It all started with Wild, Wild West, for which he "won" a Worst Director RAZZIE, along with Worst Picture. However, I was pretty much surprised when RV "won" as Worst Excuse for Family Entertainment. I was expecting another film to win that award, like Santa Clause 3, Deck the Halls, or Shaggy Dog...

Robin Williams , Cheryl Hines , Josh Hutcherson and Joanna Levesque in Columbia's R.V.

Maybe wearing panchos and being covered with mud (or is it poop?) is another thing...

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:10pm
You know, RV stands for Recreational Vehicle, but there are other things that RV can also mean, like Runaway Vacation. There are others, but I'm sure there's a lot on that list...

Posted By: cowboyjn
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:27am

Originally posted by Sanndman228715

Personally I think Robin Williams is a great actor, I've liked every one of his three bad guy roles ( One hour photo, Insomnia, yes, even Death to Smoochy). I think he's very good when he's serious and usually good when he's funny.

A-MEN, I AGREE! IF YA DO A LOT OF CAMPING, THIS MOVIE IS A REALITY CHECK OF PAST EXPERIENCES...

-------------
COWBOY

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: March 10 2007 at 2:47pm

...or not... 

But at least there's still one thing to look forward to after you subject yourself to RV:  You can still save on your car insurance if...well, I think we all know the rest. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2007 at 8:37am
Let's see...other things that RV could stand for...hmmm...I got one. How 'bout Random VooDoo?

Date Posted: March 28 2007 at 5:31pm

As for Robin, I'm not sure whether he could be getting back to doing quality films. Yes, he was in Night at the Museum, though it wasn't liked by a few critics, but Night at the Museum was well far from being a RAZZIE contender. Not to mention that it's right now sitting at $247 million at the Box Office. I actually did expect those numbers to be high on Night at the Museum, since a lot of people like to see a movie with Ben Stiller in it, only if they know he feels comfortable with the role he plays, and not be annoying.

Ben Stiller in 20th Century Fox's Night at the Museum

Posted By: dipitlow555
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 4:50am
I actually enjoyed this movie. I'm not the biggest fan of Robin Williams, but I thought it fit.

Date Posted: August 30 2007 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by dipitlow555

I actually enjoyed this movie. I'm not the biggest fan of Robin Williams, but I thought it fit.

Which one? RV or Night at the Museum? either way, either one of them could have fit.

Date Posted: October 21 2007 at 12:11pm
Now with AUGUST RUSH coming soon, let's see if Robin can make a comeback or not...not to mention he's also doing a film called OLD DOGS, with 2000 RAZZIE Winners John Travolta and Kelly Preston, along with Matt Dillon, Bernie Mac and with WILD HOGS director Walt Becker.

Posted By: tia010
Date Posted: December 31 2008 at 8:39pm

Hi,

I like Robin Williams a lot and i loved this movie. I hope he will come  again with some new projects.

Tia 

-------------

Posted By: Michaels
Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 9:02am

I like Robin Williams, too, but I'd sure like to see him in BETTER movies than the ones he has been in lately. \

-------------
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 9:57am
The problem is that this is supossed to be a family movie,and kids don't enjoy black comedy(Barry's signature).

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Vits

The problem is that this is supossed to be a family movie,and kids don't enjoy black comedy(Barry's signature).
The problem was they couldn't figured out if they wanted to be a family movie or a black comedy. Because of that, no one found it funny because no one was sure what to laugh about.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: February 12 2010 at 1:56pm
True.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 7:00pm
Did I get the message right? "Parents should quit their jobs to spend more time with their kids, even if they're brats, and even if that means the family won't have any money"?

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2010 at 8:18pm
Kinda hard to find wholesome messages in movies when they are buried under piles of bathroom humor...

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Date Posted: September 30 2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by bruin_522

Before this film, Berry Sonnenfeld's last three films, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120891/ - - Big Trouble , and  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120912/ - - Big Trouble  and thought it should have gotten like maybe a couple RAZZIE noms back on 2002.

What?!MEN IN BLACK 2 was less good than the first one,but bad?And BIG TROUBLE?I gave it 9/10!

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Vits

What?!MEN IN BLACK 2 was less good than the first one,but bad?And BIG TROUBLE?I gave it 9/10!
"Men In Black 2" was s***. Everyone was just sleepwalking through it and going through the motions. You can almost hear them saying "okay, when do I get my paycheck, again?". And "Big Trouble", while it did have a few good giggles here and there, was an overall clusterf***.

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2011 at 2:21pm
Rotten Tomatoes chose this as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwF9RcamKkQ - .

-------------

Print Page | Close Window