Print Page | Close Window

Will the Code (or The Film) Be Broken?!?

Printed From: Official RAZZIEŽ Forum
Category: 27th RAZZIEŽ AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS
Forum Name: DA VINCI CODE
Forum Discription: Nominated for WORST DIRECTOR (Ron Howard)
URL: http://www.razzies.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=997
Printed Date: October 21 2014 at 2:33am

Topic: Will the Code (or The Film) Be Broken?!?
Posted By: HeadRAZZBerry
Subject: Will the Code (or The Film) Be Broken?!?
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 4:53am

NEVER MIND TOM HANKS' GREASY, LONG HAIR or THE RELIGIOUS CONTROVERSY -- WORD of MOUTH PEGGED the MOST-ANTICIPATED RELEASE of 2006 AS the YEAR's BIGGEST YAWN. THE BOOK's 60 MILLION READERS MADE IT a B.O. SMASH...BUT WAS DA VINCI DA STINKER of the YEAR??

Slept through it yet? Feel free to post your reactions and comments BELOW...

-------------
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Replies:
Posted By: saturnwatcher
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 10:56pm
I guess I will toss in the first contrary opinion here. I liked this movie. I approached it from the perspective of one of the 6 people in American who hadn't read the book (yet), however I found the movie interesting. It certainly wasn't the best film I've ever seen, but I did not find it dull in the least, and the performances were generally good.

-------------
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken

Posted By: JoeBacon
Date Posted: May 20 2006 at 11:43am
Razz, I thought the critics had to be kidding, it couldn't be that boring. I
was wrong. The critics were right and it was one of the most boring and
dull movies I ever saw. Everything is explained two or three times and the
book was dumbed down to fourth-grade level. Based on this Visual
Sominex, I think Opie is on his way to winning his first RAZZIE

Posted By: deadguy76
Date Posted: May 20 2006 at 10:17pm
I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book. My first reaction was: Tom Hanks as a Harvard professor? My second reaction was: Tom Hanks in a romantic lead... without Meg Ryan???

-------------
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76

Posted By: sportsartist24
Date Posted: May 21 2006 at 4:13pm
Joe Versus the Volcano was one of Tom Hanks' weak films, and that film also starred Meg Ryan. You've Got Mail was pretty weak as well, but a little better. It was only Sleepless in Seattle that Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan were good. However, I think that film could have done without Rosie O'Donnell, and I don't care what anyone says about that.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: Sanndman228715
Date Posted: May 23 2006 at 9:10am
I saw it, and here is my honest opinion: I don't think anyone in the cast should be on the nominating ballot. Tom Hank's and Tautou were alright, Ian Mckellen was great, Paul Bettany did a good job ( As the majority of critics pointed out). Jean Reno did fine with his role, and I think Alfred Molina was good, but neither he or Reno were given much to do. I think that the film's faults lie with the screenplay and probably the direction.

Date Posted: May 23 2006 at 5:31pm
Splash was another weak film Tom Hanks has done, and that was directed by Ron Howard. Also, Eugene Levy was in that one, which made it worse.

-------------
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.

Posted By: miladyblue
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:16am

Dull, dumbed down or whatever, you have to admit, the Catholic Church has done an admirable job of giving Sony incredible amounts of free publicity.

When, oh, WHEN are the ultra religious types EVER going to learn that if they act hysterical in the face of "offensive" material, all it is going to do is create the carrot which millions of jackasses cannot live without?

-------------
Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer... but life imprisonment turns the state into a gay dungeon master.

Date Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:10pm
Yeah, my point exactly.

-------------

Posted By: Raspberry_Pie
Date Posted: June 03 2006 at 9:25am

I'm one of the few people that had not read the book, two chapters of reading it I was snoring, but I went with my family to see it anyway, I found it better than the book visually but it wasn't as detailed as the book. The roles could have been better casted, but I was fairly pleased with the result. I'm probably being very biased right now in saying that I thought the English actors (Ian McKellan and Paul Bettany) in the movie were very good. I don't think the DaVinci Code is deserving of a Razzie, lets keep them for the true stinkers.

-------------
Hollywood: Crap Movies-R-Us

Date Posted: September 12 2006 at 6:01am
Already no longer in theaters, finished a little strong at the B.O., making over $217 million, 4th place for 2006 behind X-Men: The Last Stand, Cars, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which back on Friday, made it past the $1 billion mark at the B.O worldwide, marking it the 3rd film overall to pass that mark worldwide.

-------------

Posted By: deadguy76
Date Posted: September 13 2006 at 10:22am

Good news: the box office isn't dead yet.

Bad news: Good movies won't be seen until they hit DVD.

-------------
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76

Date Posted: September 27 2006 at 6:06am
Updating News: Researchers using three-dimensional technology to study the "Mona Lisa" say the woman depicted in Leonardo da Vinci's 16th century masterpiece was either pregnant or had recently given birth when she sat for the painting. Here's a LINK to read the full report: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_en_ot/mona_lisa - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_en_ot/mona_lisa

-------------

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: November 10 2006 at 2:09pm

I considered it an average film, not great but not terrible.  And I only went to see it as a movie, since I know just how inaccurate Dan Brown's book actually is (unlike the executives, I like to know how historically accurate something is).  The major problem was pacing; it seemed they were trying to crame everything from the novel into it. 

Posted By: Brierfox
Date Posted: November 12 2006 at 5:47pm
It coulda been a contender!   I liked the book and was dissappointed by the movie.  There are better (or should I say worse) contenders for this year's Razzie Awards.   

-------------
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"

Date Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:33pm

Like I've said a hundred times, it never did end up being a B.O. Bomb like anyone would think, but it still ended up pretty bad. Oh well, I was watching Forrest Gump last night, and like one thing for sure, there's like no way anyone with a disability like he had would do anything great, like being a football All-American, a Vietnam War hero, a Shrimp boat owner, run around the whole US, and even meet JFK, Nixon, Lennon, etc. It almost looks like no one can meet everyone in a lifetime (Deadguy, I don't really think Tom Hamks is gay or anything. In fact, I never really thought he was at all).

-------------

Posted By: wetbandit82
Date Posted: November 17 2006 at 11:37am
Have you ever read the sequel, wherein he additionally plays for the Saints, crashes the Exxon Valdez, creates New Coke (accidentally) and almost captures Saddam and saves the world a huge headache? 

Date Posted: January 05 2007 at 5:56pm

Watched the movie with my dad, and my dad said that when he saw the end credits and was directed by Ron Howard, he said, "No wonder that was a good film." So, a lot of people have different opinions on movies, that's for sure. Tom Hanks didn't do a bad job, though I didn't like the greasy long hair he had in this film. Even Audrey Tautou did a good job as well.
Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou in Columbia Pictures' The Da Vinci Code

However, Ian McKellen faired much better than anyone in this film, and looked like he was having fun doing this film a lot more than anyone else. Alfred Molina and Jean Reno did do good, but were'nt given much. Paul Bettany was excellent as well.
Ian McKellen in Columbia Pictures' The Da Vinci Code

-------------

Posted By: bruin_522
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 3:17am
I didn't think this movie was bad at all. I guess I just feel sorry for Ron in receiving a Worst Director Razzie nom. I guess he deserved it since everyone has said the problem for this film was the directing, and I guess Ron just had some problems with directing.

Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 2:30am
Well, I've heard much about the sequel, Angels and Demons, and I know Ron Howard is right now working on that. It's right now in pre-production, since they are still working on the casting for that.

Date Posted: February 24 2007 at 9:21am
Think about this, after being known as an actor in such films like The Music Man and American Graffiti, as well as being known as Opie in The Andy Griffith Show, and then winning the Best Achievements in Directing Oscar for A Beautiful Mind, which was a good movie, but was pretty weak, Ron Howard receives this Worst Director Razzie nom. Like everyone said, Ron just had a lot of trouble directing this movie.

Posted By: SchumacherH8ter
Date Posted: September 09 2007 at 10:49am
The meaning of the word boring

-------------
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html

Date Posted: October 26 2007 at 12:51pm
There were some excellent suspense scenes though, but with a movie that's like 2 1/2 hours long it did look pretty boring.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 5:11pm
I just saw both movies again,and I still don't see why they're considered bad.

This one was alright.Very slow though.Shouldn't have been marketed as a thriller.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Posted By: BurnHollywoodBurn
Date Posted: April 13 2010 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Vits

This one was alright.Very slow though.Shouldn't have been marketed as a thriller.
It's much easier to market a thriller than market a bunch of people talking for hours on end.

-------------
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.

Posted By: DaveThePhotoGuy
Date Posted: April 14 2010 at 2:12am
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Originally posted by Vits

It's much easier to market a thriller than market a bunch of people talking for hours on end.
I have seen them both and have got to say that The Da Vinci Code as a conspiracy movie was good I never read the book and don't really intend to so my view of the movie is not blinkered in anyway, Angels & Demons again as a suspense movie it wasn't bad I just went in and enjoyed it for what is and they were.

-------------
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode

Posted By: moviewizguy
Date Posted: April 14 2010 at 4:38pm
I read the book, which was actually the first "page turner" I've ever read. I never knew the word "page turner" would be possible to describe a book until I read The Da Vinci Code. That's how thrilling it was. When I saw the film, it wasn't like the thrilling page turner I read, but more of an under-key thriller, with everything being subtle. Even the score by Hans Zimmer is barely audible through most of the film. With that complaint, I still enjoyed the film. The performances were great but it could have been more thrilling.

Posted By: Vits
Date Posted: November 03 2010 at 2:46pm
I gave this 6/10.

-------------
You can follow me http://www.twitter.com/@Vits_Chile - @Vits_Chile

Print Page | Close Window